Should I delete a log?

MissMaygen

So questions like this make me realize that I have sssoooo much that I can still learn :/

Anyway, the question is regarding logging. Today I went to find a cache and I could not find it. I was positive that I was looking in the right place but no cache :( so I logged a did not find. After messaging the CO, he went to check and sure enough it was muggled -_-

Currently I have my log edited to reflect that it was muggled. My question is should I change my log to a note, delete the log entirely, etc? Or just leave it as is? I'm going to get that cache after the CO enables it again, so I don't think it matters right?

You looked for it and didn't find it, right? Why would you alter or delete a DNF log in that case?

If it were burned in a forest fire, eaten by a bear, carted away by a squirrel or taken by a human -- you still didn't find it.

Depending upon your point-of-view, it does matter. It is the cache's history, and your caching history.

Now, unless you like "altered" history, leave it as is.

That said -- some folks will do anything to make their history "perfect".

It's your game. Play how you see fit. :)

I doubt that anyone is seriously going to object to how you play it.

You looked for it and didn't find it, right? Why would you alter or delete a DNF log in that case?

If it were burned in a forest fire, eaten by a bear, carted away by a squirrel or taken by a human -- you still didn't find it.

Depending upon your point-of-view, it does matter. It is the cache's history, and your caching history.

Now, unless you like "altered" history, leave it as is.

That said -- some folks will do anything to make their history "perfect".

It's your game. Play how you see fit. :)

I doubt that anyone is seriously going to object to how you play it.

I had a similar thinking pattern. I don't strive for perfection, just the best that I can. I figure making up for a frowny by finding it later is a better achievement because of the previous DNF log lol

Since the additional information came after you logged your DNF, it has nothing to do with your DNF, so you can just leave it as originally posted, and some (including me) would say that you should leave it as originally posted.

In addition, leave it to the CO to put something in the log about his discovery that the cache is missing, if he wants to. You didn't do anything terribly wrong, it just doesn't make sense to pass on secondhand information when the CO is perfectly capable of telling everyone whatever he wants about the cache.

As a cache owner, I am actually annoyed by edited logs on my caches. (Especially when the old log gets deleted and also by the ugly "This log was edited on"-sign below)

You didn't find the cache and logged a DNF and shared your experience. It is now part of the caches history. If you go back later, write a new found it log.

To me, that's the only reasonable decision which reflects the history the right way. I think a DNF is not simply a message to the owner/other cachers that there might be something wrong with the cache (if that's the case, you can always contact the owner via e-mail), but also statistics, probably about how hard it is to find the cache.

I admit, I didn't log all my DNF's, but I'd say about 90%. (sometimes there just wasn't anything important to tell, so I'd skip the DNF-log and post in my found it-log that I came twice) If you got a story to share, regardless wether you found the cache or not, post a log (either DNF or found). The next log will be a different story on a different day, so there's absolutely zero reasons to delete the early one. Some might do this because they're ashamed of a DNF? That'd be pretty silly though.

Currently I have my log edited to reflect that it was muggled. My question is should I change my log to a note, delete the log entirely, etc? Or just leave it as is? I'm going to get that cache after the CO enables it again, so I don't think it matters right?

It's good to leave the logs alone. You didn't find it on X date, and that's valuable info in the cache history.

If you type something that you later realize spoils the hide, that could be edited slightly if you like. "Didn't find, wish I'd looked in that stump that almost seems to have a secret compartment and a hinged top!" :anicute:

I log all my DNF's. When I go back and find the cache I write a brand new found it log. The DNF's are helpful to the CO & other cachers. Don't change yours because it is a legit DNF. When you go back after the new on log ur find! :D

+1

I'd also ask you to not delete your DNF just so I don't have the only DNF in that whole list. :anicute:

I make it a rule to put a log for every cache I go for- good or bad. For the first 5 finds, I had more DNF logs than happy yellow faces. It's all part of the game and it gives you a record you can go back to. Plus, it seems as if the DNF logs tend to be the most interesting logs. I love reading a good story on a cache and I've, unfortunately, written quite a few myself.