Replacing a full log

MissMaygen

What is the etiquette about replacing a log when the old log and the new log cannot fit in the container, such as with micros and/or nanos? Is it acceptable to replace the log, take the old one and contact the CO? What happens if the CO does not get in touch with you to get the old log?

What is the etiquette about replacing a log when the old log and the new log cannot fit in the container, such as with micros and/or nanos? Is it acceptable to replace the log, take the old one and contact the CO? What happens if the CO does not get in touch with you to get the old log?

You might still find a spot to write your initials very tiny. Log a "Needs Maintenance", and state the reason. And log a "Found It" with the info that you wrote only initials "MM" or whatever.

But it's OK to replace a nano log if you can't sign it nor fit any more paper in it (usually you can't). But you'll spend some time at the cache cutting a strip just right. I hope it's worthwhile. :anicute:

For one nano, I photographed the old log sheet, and posted that. Six pictures covered the entire slip of paper, front and back.

Edited by kunarion

I always carry spare logs of various sizes and plastic bags around when I cache and will replace a properly full log. I then make a note of what I have done in my online log. To be honest I have never been asked to send the full log to the CO. It seems that those caches where the logs get full to bursting belong to CO's that are no longer very active cachers.

If the cache worth it? Is it a quality container in a decent spot? Is the owner active and generally good at maintaining their caches? Or are they active but don't maintain their cache hides? Check their profile before you enable a delinquent or absentee owner. Check to see how many logs mention a full log without the owner doing anything about it. Are there already a bunch of NMs on the log and the owner has done nothing. Instead of adding a new log, maybe it's time for an NA log.

Here's my favourite Clan Riffster quote when it comes to maintaining other people's caches:

Fixing crappy hides strips the owners of such drivel of the learning experience. Since they don't get to go out and fix their crappy cache themselves, they are oft left with the impression that their crappy cache is perfectly acceptable, and hide more of them.

Don't be a crappy cache enabler. 9585c529-22f1-471b-aab7-97b0ef5d9fcc.gif?search=riffster&resizeSmall&width=1340

If the cache worth it? Is it a quality container in a decent spot? Is the owner active and generally good at maintaining their caches? Or are they active but don't maintain their cache hides? Check their profile before you enable a delinquent or absentee owner. Check to see how many logs mention a full log without the owner doing anything about it. Are there already a bunch of NMs on the log and the owner has done nothing. Instead of adding a new log, maybe it's time for an NA log.

Here's my favourite Clan Riffster quote when it comes to maintaining other people's caches:

Fixing crappy hides strips the owners of such drivel of the learning experience. Since they don't get to go out and fix their crappy cache themselves, they are oft left with the impression that their crappy cache is perfectly acceptable, and hide more of them.

Don't be a crappy cache enabler. 9585c529-22f1-471b-aab7-97b0ef5d9fcc.gif?search=riffster&resizeSmall&width=1340

Is there a way to suggest archiving a cache if it's clearly unmaintained? There are a few around me that the COs have not been active for a year or more. In one case the only info on a CO's profile states that the cache in question is their only cache and they have no finds :/

Is there a way to suggest archiving a cache if it's clearly unmaintained? There are a few around me that the COs have not been active for a year or more. In one case the only info on a CO's profile states that the cache in question is their only cache and they have no finds :/

Post a "needs archived" log.

Post a "needs archived" log.

When posting an NA it gets the reviewers attention. The reviewer will decide if action needs to be taken. S/he will likely post a Reviewer Note asking the cache owner to check their cache. The reviewer usually gives the cache owner at least a month to attend to the cache. If the reviewer hears nothing from the cache owner they will archive the cache. I like to preface my Needs Archive logs with.....Needs reviewer attention. That way it doesn't come across like I'm saying I think this cache should be archived, just that the cache needs to be maintained and perhaps reviewer attention may spark the cache owner to take care of their cache. I also like to add a photo of the cache condition - I think a photo helps both the reviewer and the cache owner.