How to adopt abandoned cache

LittleDragonLady

Hello,

How do you go about handling a cache that I suspect strongly has been abandoned, with no finds in a long time, no owner maintenance, etc? Should I message the owner first? And if I get no response?

I ask because there are a couple of local caches that either have had no finds in a long time or are clearly not being maintained at all. And I think it's a shame to see good locations no being used :) .

Thanks in advance :D

Hello,

How do you go about handling a cache that I suspect strongly has been abandoned, with no finds in a long time, no owner maintenance, etc? Should I message the owner first? And if I get no response?

I ask because there are a couple of local caches that either have had no finds in a long time or are clearly not being maintained at all. And I think it's a shame to see good locations no being used :) .

The only way you can adopt a cache is if the owner lets you adopt it. If the cache has been truly abandoned you can log a NM and after a suitable time log a NA. When it is archived feel free to place and list a replacement cache.

Hello,

The only way you can adopt a cache is if the owner lets you adopt it. If the cache has been truly abandoned you can log a NM and after a suitable time log a NA. When it is archived feel free to place and list a replacement cache.

Ah, ok. Thank you very much! One more question of I may then. How does a cache get archived if it is flagged as NA?

The only way to adopt a cache is for the owner to give it to you, if I'm not mistaken. That being the case, you would have to try to contact the owner. If the owner has not been active for some time, and not maintaining the cache, you might post a "needs archived" note, wait for the reviewer to archive it, and place your own there.

Ah, ok. Thank you very much! One more question of I may then. How does a cache get archived if it is flagged as NA?

Your Reviewer(s) should periodically go through and check which caches have been marked with an Archive request. Then they'll post a note asking the CO to respond within X amount of time. Once that time period has elapse, normally the Reviewer will then archive it.

Reviewers are volunteers so if they get busy with non-cache stuff they may not get around to it the day the timer expires. If you're eyeing the spot for a cache you can send a politely worded reminder.

If you're asking how the physical cache is removed after the listing is gone, ideally someone will stop by and pick it up, but some archived caches sit out there for a very long time.

Edited by Glimmereyes

Hello,

A reviewer will likely archive it after allowing some time for the owner to respond.

It will get a "flag" for the reviewer to see. Pop up in his screen when he logs in, or siren and flashing lights will go off, and a red phone, with no numbers will ring-at least that's how I imagine it happening.

Well somehow the reviewer get notifieds. For example he might post a reviewer note on the page(which will automatically send the owner an email) something like

It looks as if this cache has been under the weather for some time - it was disabled on March 19th. As stated in the cache listing guidelines available at this link: (visit link)

Owner is responsible for visits to the physical location. You are responsible for occasional visits to your cache to maintain proper working order, especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to search for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable amount of time – normally a few weeks – in which to check on your cache. If a cache is not being maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an unreasonable length of time, we may archive the listing.

While Geocaching.com would like to continue to hold the location for you, doing so blocks other cachers from placing caches in the area. We feel that this cache has been disabled for a period of time exceeding what is reasonable for the area.

I am posting this log to ask you to please get this cache "up and running". If you decide to replace it, great! In that case, simply click the "Click to enable" link under the cache title and it will be ready for hunting again. If, however, you do not decide to replace it, then please remove any remaining pieces of it and archive it. This will open up the area for other geocachers to hide their own geocaches.

If you plan on repairing this cache, please log a note to the cache (not email) so I don't archive the listing for non-communication. If no response is seen, then this listing will likely be archived during the next routine review of disabled caches in the province.

I want to thank you for the time that you have taken to contribute to geocaching in the past and am looking forward to seeing your cache up and running in the future.

Thank you for your understanding,

*your reviews name*

Volunteer Reviewer

And if not repaired it will be archived. My reviewer, if the cache really is in bad shape (numerous NM's DNF's or a note by a previous finder that it's not there anymore) and an inactive CO-may archive on the spot. especially if there is another cache waiting to be published in the same area.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Hello,

All "Needs Archived" logs are emailed to the local reviewer. Once alerted, they will take the appropriate action. Usually, they will disable the cache with a note to the owner telling them that they have 30 days to respond. If there is no response in that time period, they will archive the cache, which basically removes it from play and opens the area up for a new cache to be placed.

If you put the cache on your watchlist, you'll get a notification when/if the cache gets archived. You can then place a new cache and list it under your account.

Hello,

No finds in a long time can mean the cache is hard to find or simply not many people go look for it. This tends to happen to high difficulty caches, puzzle caches, or caches out in the woods.

Of course, few finds mean the logbook doesn't fill up as fast, which also means the cache needs less maintenance. Do these caches have a lot of DNF logs?

OK, let me see if I'm getting this right. There are a couple local caches that belong to the same owner. Both caches have several "NM" logs on them already. According to the user profile for the owner they have not visited the website in over a year. Would I be justified in sending a "needs archived" log along with a note that I am willing to adopt both if the owner has lost interest?

Thanks for any advice.

OK, let me see if I'm getting this right. There are a couple local caches that belong to the same owner. Both caches have several "NM" logs on them already. According to the user profile for the owner they have not visited the website in over a year. Would I be justified in sending a "needs archived" log along with a note that I am willing to adopt both if the owner has lost interest?

Thanks for any advice.

Why adopt? Post the NA and if/when the caches get archived place your own. If you want to pay homage to the old caches, add a link to the old archived caches in your cache description. Are they puzzle caches and you want to retain the puzzle?

Thanks for any advice.

Why adopt? Post the NA and if/when the caches get archived place your own. If you want to pay homage to the old caches, add a link to the old archived caches in your cache description. Are they puzzle caches and you want to retain the puzzle?

Thanks again for the advice.

Neither of them are anything special other than a good location to visit, so having them archived for a bit will not put anyone out.

One of the caches has not been found for several months, but it is my target for today. The other constantly has a "NM" tag but the cache is still there, I was there yesterday. I think the problem is with the design of the container allowing rain to enter constantly destroying the logs.

After my search this afternoon I will probably tag them both with a "NA".

Telling a reviewer you would like to adopt them would be of no use unless you can get the original CO to reply.

Someone wanted to adopt one of mine a while back as I was no longer caching at the time, I got an email trough and logged on to see the reviewer had given me a deadline to reply to the adoption request or maintain the cache otherwise it would get archived.

I happily let the other guy adopt it since I saw the request in time, but if the user hasn't been online in over a year I don't think that would happen in your case. Best bet would be to log as "needs archiving" then set your own up once the spot's free.

There is a cacher in my area that hasn't been active in a few years. There are a few of his caches I wanna see stay active and others I could care less. If I wanna see them stay I'll put them on my watchlist and if anything happen aka NM log or anything I'll go out and perform Maintenance then post a note of the Cache Page. I might not be the official owner but I'm the Maintenance Man and keep it active. If a NA Log is posted I'll post a note explaining what I've done and let them decide if it should be archived because it is being maintained.

Here is a current scenario I've been dealing with: We had a local cacher pass away and he had 37 active caches, I'm in contact with the son and started planning a Rememberance event with the potential to adopt his caches. I contacted my Local reviewer and he told me they did not have to be adopted or archived as long as they are maintained by the geocaching community. The Son contacted GC HQ which stated the spouse is the legal owner of the account and caches, if she wants them adopted that's fine if not they can't be adopted at this point. The spouse and the any part of the family have been invited to the event. We're hoping if the spouse sees the love and support we all had for her husband that she will allow them to be adopted.

Hope this helps and good luck

There is a cacher in my area that hasn't been active in a few years. There are a few of his caches I wanna see stay active and others I could care less. If I wanna see them stay I'll put them on my watchlist and if anything happen aka NM log or anything I'll go out and perform Maintenance then post a note of the Cache Page. I might not be the official owner but I'm the Maintenance Man and keep it active. If a NA Log is posted I'll post a note explaining what I've done and let them decide if it should be archived because it is being maintained.

Here is a current scenario I've been dealing with: We had a local cacher pass away and he had 37 active caches, I'm in contact with the son and started planning a Rememberance event with the potential to adopt his caches. I contacted my Local reviewer and he told me they did not have to be adopted or archived as long as they are maintained by the geocaching community. The Son contacted GC HQ which stated the spouse is the legal owner of the account and caches, if she wants them adopted that's fine if not they can't be adopted at this point. The spouse and the any part of the family have been invited to the event. We're hoping if the spouse sees the love and support we all had for her husband that she will allow them to be adopted.

Hope this helps and good luck

I'm kind of surprised by your reviewer's opinion. Are they going to part of that local community and maintain the cache listings as well? If someone drops a NM on a cache, who's going to clear it? If the cache has to be moved 50', who's going to update the coordinates? If the listing says it's an ammo can and it gets replaced with a Lock n' Lock, who's going to edit the description? There is a reason why a cache should have an active owner.

Messaging the owner is reasonable, especially if there are just no logs in a long time and it is a relatively easy cache. The CO could reply and give you hints on finding, or tell you he/she has checked and the cache is still there, etc.

If it is an easy cache with a string of DNF then I think that pretty much indicates the cache is gone and the CO is not going to do anything about it. If I see more than a couple DNF logged on any of my caches, I would be checking on it, or if I couldn't get to it right away, I'd temporarily disable it until I could.

If you get get no response in a reasonable time, then a NM is fair game and if that gets no response after a while then a NA is justified.

If you want to place and actively maintain a cache then a deadbeat CO should not be standing in your way.