How do I put a log in this?

JingleBella

Hi!

I have a bottle that I really want to put a log in, normally I wouldn't put this out as a geocache but because of the lid I think it'd make a really cute different cache. However I don't want people frustrated and cursing it because it'd be tricky to get a log sheet out if just set into the bottle. I thought maybe attaching a bison tube to the lid and having it just sit inside, but a small bison tube is too wide to fit.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks! :)

photo_zps1c3afa11.jpg

I'm still very new, so take this with a grain (or shaker) of salt. Would it work to uee something like a thin tube or wide straw that would be long enough to hit the bottom and not fall out of the neck. Then roll up the log and slide it in the tube?

Edited for typos

Edited by RovingTriker

I'm still very new, so take this with a grain (or shaker) of salt. Would it work to uee something like a thin tube or wide straw that would be long enough to hit the bottom and not fall out of the neck. Then roll up the log and slide it in the tube?

Edited for typos

A wide straw... that's an excellent idea!! I could cut it exactly the length so it doesn't fall inside. Thank you!! :D

Now, let's just cross our fingers when it's placed and found the cachers put the log back in the straw lol! :lol:

Edit: Or actually it'd probably be better to glue the straw in there so no one has to pull anything out.. just turn it to get the log out. Awesome! :laughing:

Edited by JingleBella

Step one-don't use it. There's no way that it will resist water....

It looks like cheap plastic and may become brittle when exposed to UV light.

The only way to really do it, it to, maybe glue maybe epoxy will be even better. Anyway glue/epoxy the bison tube in the lip/neck/opening.

Bison tube make great caches-they are cheap, weather resistant, and easy to open/close, and great for caches like this, when the actual container is not suitable. This is what a bison tube looks like. Some may be bigger, smaller, wider, narrower.

lightgreen-bison-tube-closed-XL.jpg

Only thing is, I could honestly see that being mistaken as an IED(improvised explosive device) especially if there's something sticking out the top. Best thing to do (a bomb squad officer told me this) was to take it to a non caching friend, neighbor, your grandma, and ask if it looks like a bomb.

item-2225.jpg

Looks like a dollar store spray bottle. Is there a reason you need to plant a round container? Will you be disguising it? If not you might want to try using a pre-form tube, it's sturdier and water tight. Easier to get the rolled logsheet out of a preform tube, then out of a straw. They are $3 on this site: http://www.cachingcontainers.com/sfp/Large_Preform_Test_Tube_Geocache_Container

preformtube-XL.jpg

Looks like a dollar store spray bottle. Is there a reason you need to plant a round container? Will you be disguising it? If not you might want to try using a pre-form tube, it's sturdier and water tight. Easier to get the rolled logsheet out of a preform tube, then out of a straw. They are $3 on this site: http://www.cachingco...cache_Container

Oops, just re-read your question. The disguise is that it's a spray bottle. Take into consideration though that, depending on where you hide it, the bottle could end up picked up by someone who thinks it's trash.

That's plastic not glass right?

I have a cache that is a camouflaged water bottle which would be pretty tough to get your fingers into to retrieve the log. I put the log inside one of those match holder tube-like thingies so all you have to do is "pour" it out of the container and into your hand.

For your situation I might glue it to the under side of the lid. Or use a strong tie and glue that to the lid. Find a small enough log container that can be poured out of the opening.

Edit: Here's another thought. Tie the log to something that can be poured/dropped out of the cache (a ball or lug-nut) and then the finder could pull the logbook out.

Edited by BlueDeuce
If you can seal the water in securely, (aquarium glue/silicon?) you could add some snow globe sparkles. http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howtos/ht/snowglobe.htm

Cool!

I once found a plastic soda bottle cache with a preform crafted into it. The bottle was full of "cola". It probably wouldn't survive a winter freeze. I don't even know if the seal would have held up for long (it was all kind of glued together). But someone put a little work into making it. The place soon got cleaned up, and therefore it was gone and archived.

Edited by kunarion

Woah! Okay, lot's of replies! :D

T.D.M.22 - My first thought was a bison tube, especially considering if I have lots of them. If you re-read my original post you'll notice that I mentioned I tried a bison tube but even the smallest bison tube is (sadly) just too big. That really would have been the simplest solution. And I don't think it would be mistaken as a bomb if you saw the lid. :) I didn't want to post the lid here just in case some cachers from my area stumbled upon the post.

L0ne R - It's not a dollar store spay bottle. Nor is it a spray bottle. :) The main reason why I want to plant it is because of the lid. If I posted the picture of the lid you'd see why. I wonder if those tubes are wider than a bison?..

BlueDuece - Yes, it's plastic. However, I have seen glass containers. Always wondered if that was a no-no? The lug nut is a good idea but I would think the log sheet would get beaten up/ripped coming out of the opening? Was also thinking of maybe gluing some sort of pin (nothing sharp) to the log sheet but still, the log wouldn't stay rolled up still causing it to possibly get ripped when removed. :/

Okay, this is what you do. Take a thick piece of rope and glue a bison tube to one end then stuff it into the bottle. Make sure about five inches sticks out of the top. Next, paint the bottle black.

Hide it in the woods and wait for a roadrunner to show up.

Okay, this is what you do. Take a thick piece of rope and glue a bison tube to one end then stuff it into the bottle. Make sure about five inches sticks out of the top. Next, paint the bottle black.

Hide it in the woods and wait for a roadrunner to show up.

:laughing: :laughing:

It's not a bomb!! Hahaha. With the lid it's a very cute cache.

Woah! Okay, lot's of replies! :D

T.D.M.22 - My first thought was a bison tube, especially considering if I have lots of them. If you re-read my original post you'll notice that I mentioned I tried a bison tube but even the smallest bison tube is (sadly) just too big. That really would have been the simplest solution. And I don't think it would be mistaken as a bomb if you saw the lid. :) I didn't want to post the lid here just in case some cachers from my area stumbled upon the post.

No what you mean is the smallest you have won't fit. If you can't get a bison tube, go for one of those magnetic nano's they have. The ones the size of a pencil eraser. And while the lid may make it look different, I can't see the lid, all I can see is the bottle. Remember to us, everything is a cache. Top muggles, anything that's not supposed to be there is bad. There was someone who called in a LnL as a bomb because it was camo'd. Maybe the lid will make it look like something else, but like I said, since you didn't post it I don't know.

No what you mean is the smallest you have won't fit. If you can't get a bison tube, go for one of those magnetic nano's they have. The ones the size of a pencil eraser. And while the lid may make it look different, I can't see the lid, all I can see is the bottle. Remember to us, everything is a cache. Top muggles, anything that's not supposed to be there is bad. There was someone who called in a LnL as a bomb because it was camo'd. Maybe the lid will make it look like something else, but like I said, since you didn't post it I don't know.

Maybe I need more finds, but I have yet to see a bison tube smaller than the ones I have. I am going to give it another try though, as the tube is jusssst slightly too wide. Because the container is plastic maybe with some muscle I can make it work. A nano would work, would just have to order one. Thank you for your replies. :)

If the smallest bison tube available won't fit, the soda preform for sure wont.

Cut the bottle so that the preform (or whatever tube will be used) fits. That creates a tube for the log sheet, and makes the container water-tight. The globe bottle form is just a covering, and it can contain water or glitter or whatever, and be sealed up. The original cap would also be modified to fit the tube's cap.

Edited by kunarion

Can you post another photo? Perhaps one with a quarter next to the bottle neck so we can get some perspective?

The bison in post 4 has a diameter about half the diameter of a quarter. That should help her - that photo shows one of the smaller bisons. If that's still too big, then she needs to modify the base of the sphere as others have suggested.

It's a creative cache idea, and the main issues will be (1)will a muggle think it's trash? (it seems we've already ruled out it looking like a bomb!); (2) will it be so light that it falls, blows away, or gets washed away by rain?; & (3) will it look out-of-place and be obvious to a cacher? I'm assuming the bison idea, preform, etc., has solved the watertightness issue. Item 3 sounds like it ties in with the proprietary, top-secret lid and theme concept of the cacher, so we'll stay clear of that! B)

There are options for small watertight containers. See micro centrifuge tubes that have o-ring seals: http://www.ciromfg.com/receiver.html (middle of that page).

If you intend the bottle to last for years outdoors (without having to go maintain it all the time), this will take some planning. It will need to be built in a way that lasts.

You could cut the bottom out, and fit a decent sized container that seals, so the cap unscrews from the bottom. Maybe a preform is good (even cut in half for a suitable length, and sealed up), but there are some rather large bison tubes that would be good, or a 99-cent match tube from walmart. Fill the globe with shells or beads or whatever. Seal the "top" permanently to the bottle.

Edited by kunarion