Found a cachers trackable medallion on the trail

So, while out caching in the woods I saw something shiny on the ground, thinking it was some trash I bent to pick it up, only to find it was one of those trackable medallions you put on your hiking stick. I logged it, and found the user. I tried emailing the owner, no response for over a week. My question is, should I email again? Leave in one of their caches with a note?

My question is, should I email again? Leave in one of their caches with a note?

That's an amazing find! Did you find it in Indiana? Looks like the Owner logged the coin through one more cache after it had been lost :anicute:. And it was lost eight months ago!

That isn't the kind of coin that would usually be placed into cache containers. He's active, so if email seems to be not working, ask for a log post on the coin's page. I'm hoping you get some info about the Owner's intentions.

Edited by kunarion

Having tried to contact the owner, I'd just turn it loose in some cache. Even if you got in touch with the owner, putting it in a cache where he can go get it seems like the logical way to get it back to him. Getting in touch with him privately might be nice, but it doesn't strike me as being that much better than getting in touch with him publically via a drop log.

When I logged it I used the 'Discovered It' option, and in the comments mentioned I would be happy to send it to them as well as the email. If I don't hear from them in awhile ill put it in one of their owned caches(several near me) with a note to other cachers to please leave it for the owner.

Getting in touch with him privately might be nice, but it doesn't strike me as being that much better than getting in touch with him publically via a drop log.

Sure it does, coins and bugs go missing all the time, I'd at least give the owner time to respond and probably more than one email. You drop that in a cache, it has a good chance of going missing permanently. You never know if the owner split town for some reason or for some other reason just hasn't checked his email in a week.

When I logged it I used the 'Discovered It' option, and in the comments mentioned I would be happy to send it to them as well as the email. If I don't hear from them in awhile ill put it in one of their owned caches(several near me) with a note to other cachers to please leave it for the owner.

discovered doesn't send an email to the owner nor does visit. next cache you go to do a drop with a message and then a retrieved. that might get their attention. say they need to email you so you can get it back to them and then if you still get nothing try placing in one of their caches and hope it stays there...

Unless you left it there on the trail, Grabbed is what describes your actions, not Discovered. Once you've Grabbed it, you can Drop it when you put it in a cache. Putting it in one of their caches seems like a good idea.

discovered doesn't send an email to the owner nor does visit. next cache you go to do a drop with a message and then a retrieved. that might get their attention. say they need to email you so you can get it back to them and then if you still get nothing try placing in one of their caches and hope it stays there...

um....Discovered does send an email. I think only visited doesn't.

um....Discovered does send an email. I think only visited doesn't.

Oh I don't receive emails for discovered... :/

Oh well my bad. Sorry.

I'm off to check my settings though I am not overly fussed by it other wise I will have stupid amounts of discovered menages...