Spoiler Photos

I have been on about 30 cache hunts so far and almost always I have a camera with me and take photos of me and my crew locating and looking at the cache. I always post the photos on my web site Michael Whitt dot Com, my question is this: Does anyone frown upon cachers that post spoiler info and pics on their site? I don't want to upset any cache owners, but I want to share the photos and maybe helped people that might be stumped. There have been times that I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wanted to have spoiler photos to take a gander at for clues.

The second part of this topic is in regards to web sites. Does anyone know if there is a web site out there that allows GeoCachers to search for other geocachers web sites? I realize that you can see cacher's web sites via profile views, but I am looking for a "directory" of cacher's web sites.

Thanks,

Michael

Personally, I would say that the fewer spoiler images that are out there the better. People who place caches want to present a certain challenge to their fellow geocachers. Some people refuse to decode the "additional hints" until they have exhausted themselves in the woods and been unsuccessful. Others will utilize every resource they can find before even leaving their computers. While this is a choice that a searcher makes, I think it's rude to give away the placer's secrets.

The greater challenge would be to document your find in photographs that don't give away the position. I often have my camera along with me when I'm caching but, for the most part, don't take many picures. One batch of woods often looks very much like another. But, in some places the path on the way to the cache offer scenic vistas that can be documented without giving away the position of the cache.

I would think that if you are within 100 ft of the cache, the pictures you take could give the cache away. Certainly a picture within 30ft would be a spoiler. If you really wanted a picture of you and the cache you could walk a good distance away from the actual hiding location to take your picture. I would not recommend posting a picture of the cache itself unless the description of the cache says what the container is. If the descrption says "it's an ammo box" then showing said box will not spoil the surprise, but showing the container when the description specifically left it out could.

No one can tell you what you can or cannot post on your own website however, I would recommend at a minimum that you place those spoiler photos behind a link that clearly states "These are spoilers!" That way, it's up to the searcher to decide how much they want to ruin the challenge.

As to a directory of websites, I know there is a topic in one of the discussion lists asking for people to post links to their websites. I don't have the time just now to search for that but I sure a search will turn it up.

Kordite

89355_500.gif

If you do upload spoiler pics, just be sure and label them as such.

That way if someone does not want to see a spoiler, they can choose not to look at the pic.

The hard core cachers can skip it and the ones who like all the hints can take a peek.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

I agree, as long as it is labeled as a spoiler look or don't look! I take pics too but make sure not to take spoilers, more of the scenery in and out of the cache area!

"The three little sentences that will get you through life. Number one, 'Cover for me'. Number two, 'Oh, good idea boss'. Number three, 'It was like that when I got here'."

quote:
Originally posted by NeuroNomad & Sublonde:

Does anyone know if there is a web site out there that allows GeoCachers to search for other geocachers web sites? I realize that you can see cacher's web sites via profile views, but I am looking for a "directory" of cacher's web sites.

I'd be interested in such a thing, too... if you stumble across the thread, I'd love to see it as well.

quote:
Originally posted by BayRidgeRyan:

quote:
Originally posted by NeuroNomad & Sublonde:

Does anyone know if there is a web site out there that allows GeoCachers to search for other geocachers web sites? I realize that you can see cacher's web sites via profile views, but I am looking for a "directory" of cacher's web sites.

I'd be interested in such a thing, too... if you stumble across the thread, I'd love to see it as well.

Yeah, there was a very long thread on where cachers talked about their sites. I think from that Huntnlady put together this list

Markwell Jr :)

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

Posting spoilers should be left to the discretion of the cache owner. See this thread. That also goes for those posting to their personal webspace. (I had one person do that with a Virtual - gave away everything. Explain that.) If you hide your own cache and post spoilers of it...that's fine. Your cache...your choice.

[This message was edited by datum on September 11, 2003 at 01:59 PM.]

Another reason for not exposing the location of a cache with pictures would be that it increases the chances of it becoming plundered. A lot of young kids have access to a computer but not a GPS. It would be very easy for them to print out a cache map and picture of the cache location that may be in their area and go out Geotrashin’. Probably doesn’t happen a lot…but it does happen. Get the picture?