Top this!

Guest EraSeek

Guest EraSeek

I guess this would fit under "the unusual". While looking for a cache on a mountain we came across a finely crafted wooden box. I opened it up and found a bag of whiteish powder. "Wow, I think we found someone's Columbian stash" I told my friend. "No," he said, "I think we found SOMEONE." It was someone's cremated remains! Of course we quickly replaced it. All this was going on in a blizzard on a mountain top. Had a great laugh about it afterwards.

Guest makaio

That's prett creepy. Odd that someone would simply place a box of someone's ashes rather than spread them as the tradition normally is handled. Typically, cremated ashes are sealed with a clamp and must be cut open to disperse. They are usually marked or labeled in some fashion with the crematorium name and a serial number of some sort. How was thi bag sealed? If it was ziplocked or such it probably wasn't really human remains. Assuming the former, you might try to contact someone and determine if in fact this box should be where you found it. Who knows, someone might offer a reward for missing Uncle Charlie.

Guest EraSeek

No, I think it really was someone's remains. It was not exactly a fine powder. It was sealed in a sturdy clear plastic bag and looked like it was tied or clamped shut at the top with something like a twist tie. Saw no name or number but didn't spend a whole lot of time studying it. It was a very nice hand made box, and was in a mostly inaccessible place where few people would be or look. I think the guy just wanted to stay put in one place, that being the top of the mountain, rather than being blown about. But what a thing to find!

Guest Gossamyrrh

That is really creepy! That is worse than my Grandmother informing me that my Grandfather's ashes are in the closet of the bedroom I'd been using all week!

Guest chriscmoor

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

I have stills and a video of a cougar cub my Wife and I caught on a road in Idaho. Does that count ?

First, congratulations on not becoming mother cougar food. Second, what the he** were you thinking? Leave such magnificent and endangered species alone.

------------------

Chris Moore

Montgomery, AL

Guest Quinnow

quote:
Originally posted by chriscmoor:

First, congratulations on not becoming mother cougar food. Second, what the he** were you thinking? Leave such magnificent and endangered species alone.

well he did say he found it in the road...maybe if he left it alone it would have been flat in the next five minutes, give it a scoot and be on your way before you end up as ktty litter left overs. icon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Quinnow

quote:
Originally posted by chriscmoor:

well he did say he found it in the road...maybe if he left it alone it would have been flat in the next five minutes, give it a scoot and be on your way before you end up as ktty litter left overs. icon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest logscaler

In response. Why so hostile? Endangered? HAH!! Thick as fleas around the deer and elk herds-If you know where (and how)to look. Highway 12 where I caught this critter has several thousand cars an hour on it. I have seen thousands of critters splashed on the highway and if I helped this one out, fine. If not, I tried. Besides, I needed something to do for entertainment. How many have you caught by hand? Try it for grins and giggles. Just figure out which end hurts and stay away from it.

Guest noah

Your story reminded me of a Halloween story of a friend of mine. I cannot tell the story the way my friend does, but this story closely parallels your's.

This is a true story. He was part of a dive club in Southern California. On Halloween they often plan midnight dives. They all set out one night. So they swim around for a while and my friend is exploring some rocks notices a small plastic box that was wedged under a crag between some rocks. It seemed so out of place and random to find this new, shiny plastic box. It was obviously deliberately placed under there. Curiosity got the better of him so he grabbed the box and swam on. Some time later they surfaced and returned to the boat. He showed the group what he found and they all gathered around while he opened. Inside was a cube of whitish powder wrapped in a thick plastic bag. Of course, everyone's first thought is "Drugs!". So they open the bag to get a better look and realize immediately that they have to go back! Apparently they had disturbed someone's final resting place. My friend said that it's pretty obvious what the powder is when you get a good look at it.

[This message has been edited by noah (edited 20 May 2001).]

Guest makaio

Sounds like Geocaching transcends mortal existence! Have ones will stipulate cremation and placement of ones ashes (along with some personal items of interest) to be placed at a particular location one enjoyed during life. Then stipulate this location be posted to geocaching.com so living cache seekers can stop by for a visit to keep oneself company for years to come after ones death.

I wonder if there are any laws regarding disturbing human remains in this condition. If so, you could have yourself placed in a National Park and they couldn't remove you icon_wink.gif

Guest makaio

Sounds like Geocaching transcends mortal existence! Have ones will stipulate cremation and placement of ones ashes (along with some personal items of interest) to be placed at a particular location one enjoyed during life. Then stipulate this location be posted to geocaching.com so living cache seekers can stop by for a visit to keep oneself company for years to come after ones death.

I wonder if there are any laws regarding disturbing human remains in this condition. If so, you could have yourself placed in a National Park and they couldn't remove you icon_wink.gif

Guest EraSeek

That's a great story Noah, and yes, it does sound a lot like mine and I would have to agree, once you think about what you're looking at it is obvious. And Makaio, I would not be opposed to that sort of thing myself. Some have said "How spooky!" but really I did not find it that way at all. It was more like "Oh my God!" when we realized what we had and what we needed to do next out of respect. And then it was just a great laugh over our adventure.

Guest Seamus

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

Sounds like Geocaching transcends mortal existence! Have ones will stipulate cremation and placement of ones ashes (along with some personal items of interest)

One might also want to include some sort of tag on said bag, to prevent the sort of confusion that we've seen in the above posts...

-- Seamus

KC5UGQ

Frederick, MD

Guest Julie

What an awesome idea!

For years I've been trying to figure out exactly what to do when I'm all done here. I was thinking of the cremation - plant a tree thing, but how to immortalize the spot...?

Place a cache on the spot, log it, and then millions (or even billons!) of people will know where to go to pay their respects and pick up a nifty trinket as well icon_smile.gif

Iiiiiiii Like it!

Guest Julie

What an awesome idea!

For years I've been trying to figure out exactly what to do when I'm all done here. I was thinking of the cremation - plant a tree thing, but how to immortalize the spot...?

Place a cache on the spot, log it, and then millions (or even billons!) of people will know where to go to pay their respects and pick up a nifty trinket as well icon_smile.gif

Iiiiiiii Like it!

Guest Buxley

Oh, good. I can see the logs now:

Found it! Nice peaceful spot. Took a picture and wrote in the log. Took someone's "Uncle Charlie" and left "Gertrude" from the Great Beyond cache in Colma.

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by Buxley:

Oh, good. I can see the logs now:

Found it! Nice peaceful spot. Took a picture and wrote in the log. Took someone's "Uncle Charlie" and left "Gertrude" from the Great Beyond cache in Colma.

Well, Uncle Charlie always wanted to visit Oregon... ;~)

Guest Roger_and_out

quote:
Originally posted by Krepism:

Brnigs a whole new meaning to a "travler"" Who wants to host the web site that keeps track of this travler??? Maybe it could be called www.gravecaching.com

OK, own up. Who else clicked on the URL and got 404'd?

Guest Creator of Geocaching

Great Idea!!

I think I will change my Will to state that I want my ashes put in a Geocache as a cache traveler!!

Thanks for the Great Idea!!

Dave...

Guest GeoPerson

Maybe it was..........MURDER!!!! BWahahh! Some mobster could have finished off "Big Eddy" and then just chucked him out in the middle of nowhere. By the way, do you have the coordinates?

Guest EraSeek

Well maybe I do and maybe I don't have the coords, but I sure don't want people looking for him! If you want to make yourself into a cache that's fine, but this guy deserves his rest.

Guest ALacy

This might top yours, the following is a copy of my brother's log on Swingin' Fannin Cache

I love this one. My wife went with me to this one. It was her first. I forgot my camera. Turns out that it should have been the other way around. Forget wife and bring camera. Found the cache and traded a few three dollar bills, some wooden nickels, and a toy car for a can opener. Anyway we walked slow so the wife could enjoy the hike. We met a few people on the trail, and some past us going in, including two adult women each with a big dog. After the visit to the cache we went to the river, and WOW there were the two ladies skinny dipping. They ducked down in the water to neck deep till they seen we was no threat to them, then they went back to playing. The smaller of the two even swung on a rope that is hanging from a tree over the river. The other lady and her dog was playing in the deep water. When she would go under, her dog would go under too. The view was great from the bridge.