Cemetary Geocaches

I wouldn't go for a cache on top of any grave, simply due to the respect issue. I've seen multis where you have to use data (dates, etc.) from a headstone. I don't have a problem with that.

Maybe if it was hidden in the headstone, it would be okay.

Edited by Kacher82

I am one that plans for everything, if I can. I have already paid for my grave site and have a pre-payment savings plan in effect for services for me and my wife. Having struggled with organizing, paying for services, and helping out with after-death family and property issues I know the worth of pre-planning.

When I order my stone, it is my hope that I can have the maker cut an opening in the back and place a small door in it where a small cache can be hidden. With Geocaching being such a big part of my life, and the closeness I have had with many geocaching friends I have made over the years, it would please me to know that some geo-footsteps were trotting around overhead enjoying the hunt. Perhaps you will hear my voice from beyond saying "Well done. You found it"

Now I just have to get the cemetery and the stone maker to agree with it.

But this is me.... and perhaps not everyone's cup of tea.

Let the game continue.... forever and ever.

Walt

now, i restarted this topic because i found the canceled one and i was very interested in where it was going. please, any thing about it, post it here, but stay on topic! no thread jacking, try to avoid theological discussion or opinions, and please keep from getting side tracked. thank you, enjoy.

I am one that plans for everything, if I can. I have already paid for my grave site and have a pre-payment savings plan in effect for services for me and my wife. Having struggled with organizing, paying for services, and helping out with after-death family and property issues I know the worth of pre-planning.

When I order my stone, it is my hope that I can have the maker cut an opening in the back and place a small door in it where a small cache can be hidden. With Geocaching being such a big part of my life, and the closeness I have had with many geocaching friends I have made over the years, it would please me to know that some geo-footsteps were trotting around overhead enjoying the hunt. Perhaps you will hear my voice from beyond saying "Well done. You found it"

Walt

That is a really cool idea!!!

Personally, I enjoy a well done cemetery cache, especially one that teaches me something of the local history, or brings me somewhere particularly nice like many of the pioneer cemeteries out west do. But I don't care for routine hides placed in actively used cemeteries.

Not too long ago in a state not so far away the local politicians attempted to ban or at least severely restrict geocaching in their state. The true motive behind the initiative was never revealed in public, although I have my own ideas behind the efforts. The root cause was a misunderstanding about how and where our little game is played, and focused on caches placed in cemeteries.

As a result of these legislative efforts, the NC reviewers pay very close attention to where a cache is placed, and won't publish one in a cemetery if it's anywhere near the graves. Preferred hide style is an offset multi that uses info from the headstones and leads to a container outside the cemetery perimeter. Virgina requires specific permission for any cemetery hides. Both TN and SC do not allow any geocaching in cemeteries per local laws. The laws in your state may be different, and the way your local reviewers handle cemetery hides will abide by those laws.

Bottom line, geocaching in cemeteries is a bit controversial for some, and should always be done with the primary use of the property in one's mind. To some, cemeteries are hallowed and sacred grounds, to others they are merely a final resting place.

For those who want some long readings during their morning coffee, I dredged up some threads from 2005 discussing the situation that took place in SC. It was a real eye-opener to many as to how the legislative process works.

The initial thread announcing the situation.

Follow up 28 page thread discussing the initial legislative sessions.

New 11 page thread discussing the Senate sessions after the bill passed through the House.

Walt

I agree and this is exactly what I would like to do also. If for some reason, I can't do this, I at least want my headstone to be used for a puzzle cache. My 7 year old granddaughter loves cemetery caches. In fact they are her very favorite kind. So I know she will be able to carry out my wishes at some (hopefully very far) distant future time. I still have lots to find before I leave.

Walt

I agree and this is exactly what I would like to do also. If for some reason, I can't do this, I at least want my headstone to be used for a puzzle cache. My 7 year old granddaughter loves cemetery caches. In fact they are her very favorite kind. So I know she will be able to carry out my wishes at some (hopefully very far) distant future time. I still have lots to find before I leave.

Here's a puzzle headstone. According to the geocache page it took 80 years to decipher it the first time.

b5e46c73-1285-4fdc-900b-f107fe55feb8.jpg

2 rules of caching;

Rule 1: There's probably a trail to the cache.

Rule 2: You will find it on your way out.

I laughed at your signature. It is very true! Many times we've bushwhacked to a cache then when turning around to go back we're like "Oh look, a trail" lol.

To the OP, personally, I hate trying to (respectfully) maneuver my way across/through a cemetery to find a cache that's hidden in the back in a tree for example. Some are laid out so odd where you think you're walking behind the headstones then all of a sudden the next plot goes the other way and you almost just walked across one.

Keep in mind too, lots of plots have different flowers or trinkets on them, unless every GPS could pinpoint GZ bang on I'd be concerned that people would start tampering with another plots things. :/

Walt

I was thinking something similar except I want to be cremated when I die. So I think that my final request will be to have my ashes dispersed somewhere in my favorite desert and have a cache left there as a memorial. This will probably never happen...I will never know, being dead and all.