Garmins crash help

djhobby

I've made a few Wherigos now. And as far as I know they've all worked with all the different devices until now. My newest cartridge works fine when used with iphones and different android devices. But I've had two different reports of Garmin Colorados shutting off when running the cartridge, at different points. How do I go about troubleshooting this? I don't think it's a too many active zones at a time issue. I only have at the most, three zones active at any given time. Could it be the user downloaded the wrong type of cartridge? (Pocket PC instead of Garmin?) I've seen where some people have uploaded some of the code of their cart. and people have troubleshot from there but I'm not sure exactly how that is done.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the choice in download has no innate difference. The cartridge creator can put some media elements and whatnot into the pocket PC one (sound files and the like) that would crash a garmin. If the creator does nothing to make the versions different, they are essentially the same.

The Wherigo cartridge downloader was designed to create a cartridge file based off the selected device. Thus, you could add one image size for Garmin and another for iPhones. Same for sounds. That's the way Groundspeak was going with it. Anyway, you can actually crash the emulator if you download and play a Garmin cartridge if the cartridge uses sound specifically for the Garmin player.

Now, one of the most often-made mistakes that crash Garmin players is showing an input or message when an input is already active. This can easily be replicated in the field: have an OnEnter or OnProximity event that shows an input. The user will enter the zone and the input is shown. The user might walk around in the zone to look for something, causing him or her to exit and enter the zone, or the GPSr will recalculate coordinates and drift the user out and back into the zone. Either thing can happen. If the zone is still active, the OnEnter/Proximity event will fire again and try to display another input. Garmin's player does not handle the problem and will crash. The GPSr's operating system does not catch this type of error and crashes along with it, effectively turning the GPSr off.

Does this situation sound familiar? If not, it would be helpful for you to post a link to your cartridge on the forum.

I don't use any inputs, but I do have it display a message as soon as they enter each zone. And a few of those messages have a jpg associated with it.

It's really a simple Wherigo.

Player starts in the beginning zone and the next zone becomes active and a message is displayed and the first task becomes active/visible

Player exits zone and that zone becomes inactive and no longer visible

Player enters the next zone and a new message is displayed and the next zone becomes active(not visible, the player has to use the clues from the message to find the next zone) and the next task becomes active/visible

Player exits zone and that zone becomes inactive and the previous task becomes inactive and no longer visible.

Repeat 14 times.

To keep the Garmin users from having to start over at the beginning I was going to make the cartridge save itself every time the player enter a new zone.

Perhaps it can be helpful, if the player(s) send the log file (\Wherigo\saves\*.gwl). If the crash happens at the same time or at the same function call (!) I would say the Wherigo causes this. If not so, probably it is a accidental crash.

A few days ago someone has played one of my cartridge. He reports that he has a crash always at the same point (Oregon 300) He restored and the crash happened again again and again. At home he has installed a new sd memory card, copied the GWC and SAV file to it, started again, restored and has no problem at this point.

Anyway, you can actually crash the emulator if you download and play a Garmin cartridge if the cartridge uses sound specifically for the Garmin player.

Really ? I often have compiled garmin (with FDL sound files) and played this in emulator. Fact is you can link 2 media files to 1 media object. "Tada.fdl" and "Tada.mp3" are linked to Object SOUND. Depending on what kind of cartridge the player has downloaded, either the FDL or MP3 will be compiled in the GWC. But I have had no problems, when I load garmin and play it in the emulator.

Due to crash if an input is open and a message pops up :

We have found a workaround. First ONLY if the input type is string a crash will follow. Define it as number, no problem.

If a message pops up and the input is open, a callback will be called and the input gets a nil value. This causes the crash. Some months ago I have written here in the forum, that it can be handled with a variable, but there is another way. Simply compare the answer with "". Place it in every input if it is possible that in the zone a message pops up.

post-3481440-080568000 1370462996_thumb.jpg

Thus, you could add one image size for Garmin and another for iPhones.

Is there a chance to link 2 images to 1 object like in case of a sound ? I remember I have read anywhere, that it works if the images have defined names like "_garmin" in the filename or what else. But never have tried this.

The last cartridge I remember crashing the emulator if I downloaded using Garmin instead of Pocket PC was WHERmIzombieGO. I hacked it so it was playable in the emulator. As I went through the cartridge, it reliably crashed around one point, making me wonder why. So I downloaded the Pocket PC version and it was stable. Perhaps it was only a coincidence this one crashed at the point it was supposed to make a sound.