Alphanumeric Cache Owner challenge

AKiteFlier

I want to find caches that have been placed by Cache Owner whose name starts with a 7 or a 9 as part of the alphanumeric cache OWNER challenge. There are none in my local query area but I'd like to see if I can find those caches on a larger scale area so as I plan future road trips accordingly... ANy idea how to do this when I don't KNOW the cache owner names across the country that might start with a 7 or a 9.... Thanks in advance.

One option is to make use of GSAK, and just drop in PQ's from various areas. You could sort by owner name and find nearest caches, or just find owners and look up all their caches and plan from that.

I too am missing owners starting with 7, 8 and 9, though there is a 7* owner nearby, just out of my easily accessible travel range ;)

Edited by thebruce0

http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx

scroll down, click "find another player"

http://www.geocaching.com/find/default.aspx

Example: type in 7 in the open box, click "go"

The results can be found when you click on the downward facing arrow.

Now you need to click on each username, check their profile to see if they've hidden caches near you.

B.

Tried this - but it only shows me, for example the first 20. But if I type 7a I get a whole NEW list of 20 - hmmmm that would take me FOR-EVER! I'll keep trying though.

Really, if you can use GSAK and pocketqueries, the quickest way imo would just be to do some large PQs just outside of densely populated areas (widest spread of caches/owners) and after importing the result to gsak just sort and find the letters you're looking for. Much less tedious

Since the owned by field is free form and doesn't have to reflect a real name why not place one with the name you need and then find it under your cache name?

To avoid having the find show up as on a cache you own, you'd need to create a new account for this - https://www.geocaching.com/membership/register.aspx?type=basic

The first Alphanumeric Cache Owner challenge came to central Florida and immediately there were two new cache owners in the area (brand new accounts, no finds), "0_something" and "7_something", working together to place a modest numbers run along a rural highway. Amazing, simply amazing.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Re 36 new cachers - I'd already checked my finds, and had everything except 0 and 7. Was a bit surprised by no 7 - surely it's somebody's lucky number?

Apparently those were the same holes that everybody else in the area was noticing, so Bingo! 0something and 7somebody arrived on the scene.

heck, I'd considered 00Dumb, kinda like the ring of it. Better as "double aught" than "double oh"

Since the owned by field is free form and doesn't have to reflect a real name why not place one with the name you need and then find it under your cache name?

The name shown on the cache page in the "owned by" field is not what the challenge is looking for. It must be the hider's real account name. So you would have to create a new account for yourself and use that account as the hider.