Finding Geocaches without a GPS?

CaptHarm&Sweetlamb

We are holding an event at our park which is "Man -vs- Ouabache", one group will be doing everything "Modern" the other group will be doing everything "Primitive", one of the projects is finding geocaches within the park, but we are having difficulties trying to figured out how to get the primitive group to the geocaches, someone told us we could use a google map or some other type of map but we are unsure how to do this, i have looked it over and over and really can't see it. Any other help would be appreciated! The event is this weekend (June 8-9) Thanks!

On the geocache listing page there are multiple links to display the cache location on a map, whether GoogleMaps or another. You can print this and use it to get to the cache. it doesn't give you a super-accurate location, but it's usually good enough. In fact a geocacher in my area does not possess a GPS, and has almost 3000 finds (and 4 hides) to his name, using only GoogleMaps.

Another way to do it is to have some Letterbox type caches, where the listing tells you how to navigate to the cache, rather than using GPS coordinates. Although that won't really give you a good comparison between 'moderns' and 'luddites'.

**Edited to correct non-gps finds - from 300 to 3000

Edited by Ruddles1325

I am close to 2000 and nearly all without a GPS. I use Google maps on my Blackberry, but I guess a printed map could be primitive enough.

The satelite view is by far the most acurate, but I also use Streetmap where no details show up such as in woods.

Pacing distances with a compass bearing is more time consuming, but gives me good results too.

I am close to 2000 and nearly all without a GPS. I use Google maps on my Blackberry, but I guess a printed map could be primitive enough.

The satelite view is by far the most acurate, but I also use Streetmap where no details show up such as in woods.

Pacing distances with a compass bearing is more time consuming, but gives me good results too.

Make it pirate style. Hand draw a map with a big X in the middle.

You could plug the coordinates into Bing Maps or iTouchMap, but the only downside to that would be how heavy the tree cover is. I have found caches in guardrails and places where the trees were few and far between, but in an area that is heavily wooded, that's a different story.

If the group is supposed to be using a 'primitive' method then a map and compass would work http://www.compassdude.com/latitude-longitude.shtml

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/downloads/Map_Skills_Booklet.pdf

I think google maps really aren't 'primitive' lol

I used to teach map and compass when I was an army cadet leader. God knows I don't remember any of it now though, the things you forget when you don't use 'em :(