REI return policy changed

Returns and exchanges now limited to one year, instead of lifetime. REI outlet items must be returned/exchanged within 30 days. Wear and tear is not covered.

http://www.rei.com/help/return-policy.html

I know a lot of folks have taken advantage of the return policy in the past to just get a new GPS every other year or so. Or boots. Or socks. No more.

...edit for spelling and grammar...

Edited by user13371

Returns and exchanges now omitted to one year, instead of lifetime.

That's what happens when you have a bunch of freeloaders returning GPS after GPS just to get the latest model for free. Thanks for your contribution to ruining it for everyone else with legitimate returns. A few bad apples...

Edited by yogazoo

A lifetime, a year returns and exchanges is still to much, there should be a normal 1 year guarantee on these products.

It was called customer service. Some customers took maximum over advantage of it. If something legitimately went bonkers, you were covered. That is what was ruined by "customers" using it as their perpetual upgrade service. Trying to do something good for your customers gives the greedy ones a license to exploit you. I hope they are proud of themselves. They certainly won't accept any blame. It was their right.

Returns and exchanges now omitted to one year, instead of lifetime.

That's what happens when you have a bunch of freeloaders returning GPS after GPS just to get the latest model for free. Thanks for your contribution to ruining it for everyone else with legitimate returns. A few bad apples...

nailed_it-s240x320-227191.jpg

Meh...

One of the reasons people shop at REI, and even buy a membership, was because of the true 100% guarantee. It encourages people to spend a little bit more by shopping at their store, and actually use their product, rather than baby it. It's also one of the reasons I shop at L.L. Bean. I know that if anything breaks at any time, I can return it with no questions asked.

Generally speaking, GPS and other electronics don't get the same kind of treatment as other products. They aren't eligible for use with the 20% member coupon, and usually aren't part of employee discount programs. When I worked at L.L. Bean, the GPS's were off limit for employee discounts because the store only made a 10% profit on them vs. the 40-50% markup on other goods. So I can understand limiting the return policy on GPS units.

A year sounds like a long time, but usually problems start occurring after a year. Seams rip in backpacks, poles snap in tents, stoves start to fail (though many manufacturers have a lifetime warranty). It's just nice to know you can bring it right back to the store for instant replacement rather than waiting several weeks by sending it to the manufacturer. If REI really is having trouble with people taking advantage of the return policy, they ought to have considered limiting the number of returns on a particular item (replacements can be tracked) rather than limiting the time frame for return.

Anyway, that's my rant. I'll probably still shop at REI because their modified return policy is still better than most stores.

Meh...

One of the reasons people shop at REI, and even buy a membership, was because of the true 100% guarantee. It encourages people to spend a little bit more by shopping at their store, and actually use their product, rather than baby it. It's also one of the reasons I shop at L.L. Bean. I know that if anything breaks at any time, I can return it with no questions asked.

Generally speaking, GPS and other electronics don't get the same kind of treatment as other products. They aren't eligible for use with the 20% member coupon, and usually aren't part of employee discount programs. When I worked at L.L. Bean, the GPS's were off limit for employee discounts because the store only made a 10% profit on them vs. the 40-50% markup on other goods. So I can understand limiting the return policy on GPS units.

A year sounds like a long time, but usually problems start occurring after a year. Seams rip in backpacks, poles snap in tents, stoves start to fail (though many manufacturers have a lifetime warranty). It's just nice to know you can bring it right back to the store for instant replacement rather than waiting several weeks by sending it to the manufacturer. If REI really is having trouble with people taking advantage of the return policy, they ought to have considered limiting the number of returns on a particular item (replacements can be tracked) rather than limiting the time frame for return.

Anyway, that's my rant. I'll probably still shop at REI because their modified return policy is still better than most stores.

My Garmin 78S is about 1.5 years old and just developed a problem. The compass has a 3 step calibration sequence and the second portion now fails. Garmin is no help at all. I'd love to return it for a replacement unit.

... My Garmin 78S is about 1.5 years old and just developed a problem ...

Y'know, if that was my situation, I'd try to go back to my local REI and angle for a replacement anyhow.

If refused by the current policy, try a polite but firm "That might be today's policy, but that wasn't the case when I became a member or when I bought this GPS."

I think REI still cares about customer services and they're just trying to rein in on the abuses. If store managers have discretion on a case by case basis you might still be covered.

Edited by user13371

After thinking abut what I posted a little while ago, I decided to ask REI... And they answered within an hour:

Thank you for taking the time to contact REI about our return policy, and for the opportunity to respond.

We know that our returns policy is an important reason why people shop at REI and most customers use it in a reasonable, fair manner. We have a well-deserved reputation for our friendly expertise, and for our willingness to take back things that don't meet expectations. We continue to have a great returns policy that lets people have confidence in everything they buy from REI.

The policy went into effect on June 4, 2013 and will be applied beginning June 5, 2014. All purchases before this date will be covered by the previous returns policy. Just to clarify, beginning June 4, items purchased at REI.com can be returned within a year of purchase, except REI-OUTLET.com items that must be returned within 30 days of purchase.

Updating our policy enables us to maintain our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee and, as always, we stand behind all purchases made at REI and REI Outlet. We hope you will give us the opportunity to prove this to you in the future.

Rest assured that we are sharing comments about this change with the co-op's leadership.

--REI Online Customer Service

Pretty fair, I think.

Returns and exchanges now limited to one year, instead of lifetime. REI outlet items must be returned/exchanged within 30 days. Wear and tear is not covered.

I know a lot of folks have taken advantage of the return policy in the past to just get a new GPS every other year or so. Or boots. Or socks. No more.

I think that is a great move for REI...I spent many years in the same type of store and the free loaders cost retailers millions of dollars each year in lost income, Most people do not understand that retailers just can't return merchandise because a customer has made a return, retailers just have to eat the loss,

Meh...

But shop staff get very big discounts by buying direct from manufactures, in most cases quite a bit less than wholesale pricing

What if you bought the item before the policy was changed?

What if you bought the item before the policy was changed?

From Post #10:

"The policy went into effect on June 4, 2013 and will be applied beginning June 5, 2014. All purchases before this date will be covered by the previous returns policy. Just to clarify, beginning June 4, items purchased at REI.com can be returned within a year of purchase, except REI-OUTLET.com items that must be returned within 30 days of purchase. "

Did you read that part along with the dates?

Doug 7rxc

Meh...

I guess the management team at LL bean did not tell you about the pro form policy of both Garmin and Magellan. Garmin and Magellan allow one purchase per year by employees of Magellan and Garmin dealers. The discount is about 50% of the retail price. Now some dealers do not tell their staff about these deals because it is up to the store management to decide if they want the employees to make these purchases.

From Post #10:

"The policy went into effect on June 4, 2013 and will be applied beginning June 5, 2014. All purchases before this date will be covered by the previous returns policy. Just to clarify, beginning June 4, items purchased at REI.com can be returned within a year of purchase, except REI-OUTLET.com items that must be returned within 30 days of purchase. "

Did you read that part along with the dates?

Doug 7rxc

Thanks! I missed that!