Using iPad Geocaching app without 3G/4G or wireless

Sternski

I'm a teacher and all of my students will have iPads next year. Will my students be able to use the iPad to geocache without wireless or 3G/4G service if we have the geocaching app? I'm contemplating a geocaching field trip. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Jen Sterner (of Sternski)

Edited by Sternski

I'm a teacher and all of my students will have iPads next year. Will my students be able to use the iPad to geocache without wireless or 3G/4G service if we have the geocaching app? I'm contemplating a geocaching field trip. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Jen Sterner (of Sternski)

The short answer is no. The Apple app needs the internet to locate caches in a specific area. I have been caching and lost my 3G signal and the GPS on the Navigation screen still works. Perhaps if you browse to the cache you want to find and then start navigating to it while you still have wifi it may work. But you will not be able to log your visit in the field nor will you be able to find the next closest cache.

If the above navigation does work, you could use multiple iPads with one cache preset up to find each cache... It just may work.

If you purchase IPADs that have 3G/4G capabilities they will have a GPS in them. You do not have to have them activated with any cell service provider to use the GPS. I use an application called Geosphere that works great for offline caching and the large display on the IPad is great. This does require some pre-planning and prep work before going out caching but it is not too bad. You will need to have the IPAD connected to the internet in Wi-Fi mode for this pre-planning.

Step 1: Generate a PQ for your caching activity.

Step 2: Drop your PQ in Dropbox folder associate with Geosphere on the IPad. (Can also be done via GSAK too)

Step 3: Import the PQ into a group in Geosphere.

Step 4: While viewing the imported PQ data on the map page scroll over the trail or area that contains the caches. The detailed map information will be cached into memory so it can be viewed out in the field with no wi-fi connection and the blue dot that indicates current GPS position will show up and move on the map as one moves on the trail. (Satellite view of the map works great for this)

Step 5:Set the desired cache that you want to find as "Target" and the compass pointer, direction indicator & distance to target will all work. You will also have the ability to view all cache details and record field and personnel notes that can be updated to GC.com once you are connected to wi-fi later on.