Upload excel file

Jenni@Alan

Hello,

I have a problem when publishing a mystery cache. I created a game excel and coordinates are obtained by solving some questions. The problem is that apparently can not put a link to download the excel file in the page at geocaching.com. Anyone have any idea what I can do?

Thank's.

Hello,

I have a problem when publishing a mystery cache. I created a game excel and coordinates are obtained by solving some questions. The problem is that apparently can not put a link to download the excel file in the page at geocaching.com. Anyone have any idea what I can do?

Thank's.

Can you create a Google Document instead of an Excel file? Then link to that?

Hello,

Thank's.

Can you create a Google Document instead of an Excel file? Then link to that?

Excel is not a free program. You can't require people to buy or download a program in order to solve your puzzle.

Excel is not a free program. You can't require people to buy or download a program in order to solve your puzzle.

You can open a excel with OpenOffice, I think it's free. It would be possible to upload the file indicating that it should open with Openoffice?

Thank's.

You can open a excel with OpenOffice, I think it's free. It would be possible to upload the file indicating that it should open with Openoffice?

Thank's.

It might be better to refer to the file as a spreadsheet rather than Excel file. Mentioning a specific product name sometimes sets people's "It's commercial!" alarm off.

OpenOffice/LibreOffice are free. While I've never run into them, I've heard there are a couple commands/options that OO/LO handle differently from Excel so you may want to double check it works there. For consistence's sake using Google Docs might be safest, although that would require you entering all the formulas and protection in again.

You may also want to run the concept by your Reviewer if you haven't already. It's possible for spreadsheets to contain malicious code so some Reviewers are leery of publishing caches that require the use of spreadsheets.