Activated / Unactivated

EXMAN

Well, nothing, unless you plan on reselling it. and then it will depend on the coin.

I'm guessing that most collectors keep their coins unactivated, rather than activating them to send out a proxy and watch it travel.

Well, nothing, unless you plan on reselling it. and then it will depend on the coin.

I'm guessing that most collectors keep their coins unactivated, rather than activating them to send out a proxy and watch it travel.

If your using a proxy with the same code as the coin then it has to be activated.

Me personally though, I activate all my coins.. it's part of my enjoyment of my collection. Others will have different views of that though :)

Do I see a difference in value because the coin is active and sitting in my box over if it isn't active and sitting in my box? Nope, same thing.. except now I can release a proxy (which I have done for all my coins) and enjoy watching it travel as well.

It's going to depend on the person really, and i'm probably a minority on how I view the activated vs un-activated "value"

if your wish is to allow others to "discover" your coins, then you need to activate them. i enjoy allowing others to "oogle?" my coins, and discuss them, at events. Like decer, i activate my trackable coins...i just checked...coming up on 2700 activated, trackable geocoins.

to more directly answer your question, although some activated geocoins will sell for more than others, activated coins will not sell as well, or for as much as unactivated identical geocoins (is there a specific percentage the value will drop when activated...no.)

hope this is of some help.

ILYK

My SO/geo-partner is the 'collector/addict' and she activates all the coins in her collection. Many, but not all, have proxies traveling.

She does have those that are duplicates in some form, or versions of a coin she is willing to trade. Those are NOT activated. It would reduce their value as a 'tradeable'.

I'm glad to hear you guys say that you send out proxys.

those of us that enjoy the trackables aspect of the game are happy to discover and move them.

Ok..very curious about this proxy bit. Do you activate the coin and then send another item out instead with the tracking number on it?

yep.... coin owners often use a laminated pic of the geocoin, but it's your tracking number and you can do it any way you'd like.

Edited by EXMAN

I'm glad to hear you guys say that you send out proxys.

those of us that enjoy the trackables aspect of the game are happy to discover and move them.

Ok..very curious about this proxy bit. Do you activate the coin and then send another item out instead with the tracking number on it?

Basically yes, as EXMAN says in the first response some people use a laminated picture of the coin. I've seen some put a heavy duty washer between two pictures to give it a little more "coin" feel. Personally I shy away from that and use proxy coins and have the tracking number engraved on them, to me they feel more like a coin and still cheap enough to replace if one goes missing without any strain on my wallet.

Overall though, the limits behind what a proxy is though is only what your imagination can dig up. Store made or hand made they all serve the same purpose though, save the coin from the thief (and I will say I think it's horrible we can't trust others and have to resort to this as it is.. a muggling or two happens, but when cachers are stealing the coins it's saddening)