New Google Maps does not show pointer to latitude/longitude point

If I use latitude and longitude coordinates with New Google Maps, it no longer shows the arrow pointing to that precise point, but only a "map pin" pointing to the nearest street address or road or something.

Does anyone know how to make it show an arrow pointing to the actual spot I specified with my lat/long coordinates? Or does this feature not make Google any money, so they took it away from us?

From google itself - works for me. :)

Find coordinates faster and add temporary coordinate labels using the following Labs features.

With Google Maps Labs allows you to you can try out experimental features in Maps. To get to Maps Labs, click Maps Labs in the footer of the panel to the left of the map.

If you're signed in to your Google Account, we'll save your Labs preferences so you don't have to re-enable them next time.

LatLng Tooltip

To get the coordinates of a location, point your cursor to the location on the map then press Shift.

From google itself - works for me. :)

Find coordinates faster and add temporary coordinate labels using the following Labs features.

With Google Maps Labs allows you to you can try out experimental features in Maps. To get to Maps Labs, click Maps Labs in the footer of the panel to the left of the map.

If you're signed in to your Google Account, we'll save your Labs preferences so you don't have to re-enable them next time.

LatLng Tooltip

To get the coordinates of a location, point your cursor to the location on the map then press Shift.

Thanks, but that doesn't do what I want. That gives me coordinates when I don't know them. But I already know the coordinate numbers. I want to enter coordinates in the address box (like "32 52.000, -117 04.000") and get a map with an arrow pointing to that exact spot. Instead I get a map with a map pin pointing to a nearby business or residence or street, NOT to the exact point described by the coordinates.

Old Google Maps did this, but not the New Google Maps that is just now being rolled out.

Bing Maps will do this, so I am switching to Bing.

Edited by LeoGeo

Old Google Maps did this, but not the New Google Maps that is just now being rolled out.

Bing Maps will do this, so I am switching to Bing.

I'm not seeing the same thing you are. When I am inside the GS web page using google maps as my selected map, if I enter coordinates in the side panel, I see nothing, neither the arrow nor the pin.

If I go to maps.google.com, either directly or via the link on a cache page under "For online maps..." then enter coordinates I see both the arrow and the pin.

I wonder if this is another one of those browser specific issues? I'm using FireFox 21.0.

I am having the same problem with the NEW version of Google Maps. Note that this does not apply to the public version of Google Maps, but only the invite-only new version with a URL that starts with https://www.google.com/maps/preview

Sometimes entering a lat/long will get me a marker, but that marker will be of a nearby landmark and not the actual GPS coordinates. I'd love to know if anyone knows anything more about this.

Here's an example URL: https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q=49.0000%2C+-15.0000&data=!4m10!1m9!4m8!1m3!1d25953255!2d22!3d49.5!3m2!1i1280!2i939!4f13.1

if it redirects you to this url, it will work correctly because you don't have the new maps: https://www.google.com/maps?sll=49.49998453495486%2C21.9400958520269&sspn=42.82324958915673%2C68.40461053396893&t=m&q=49.0000%2C+-15.0000&output=classic

I am having the same problem with the NEW version of Google Maps. Note that this does not apply to the public version of Google Maps, but only the invite-only new version with a URL that starts with https://www.google.com/maps/preview

Sometimes entering a lat/long will get me a marker, but that marker will be of a nearby landmark and not the actual GPS coordinates. I'd love to know if anyone knows anything more about this.

Here's an example URL: https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q=49.0000%2C+-15.0000&data=!4m10!1m9!4m8!1m3!1d25953255!2d22!3d49.5!3m2!1i1280!2i939!4f13.1

if it redirects you to this url, it will work correctly because you don't have the new maps: https://www.google.com/maps?sll=49.49998453495486%2C21.9400958520269&sspn=42.82324958915673%2C68.40461053396893&t=m&q=49.0000%2C+-15.0000&output=classic

Yes, as husby024 pointed out, this problem occurs only in the new sort-of-Beta-test-version of Google Maps, which some people got an invitation to try. (I probably got one because I've sent corrections to Google Maps in the past.)

Could someone help me out on this subject? I have a database where I enter the Lat/Long coordinates into fields, then I have a script that creates a Google Maps url that can be emailed to people.

For example, if I enter 45.44961 and -122.55816, my script will create this url:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=45.44961+-122.55816&t=h&z=17

This url works great in Google Maps Classic, but when it's opened in the new beta version, it gives the nearest address, as the original poster brought up.

My problem is some of my recipients are using the classic version, and others are using the new version.

Is there a url formation that would work in both versions of Google Maps, where, when clicked, will pinpoint the exact geo location (and not the nearest address)?

Could someone help me out on this subject? I have a database where I enter the Lat/Long coordinates into fields, then I have a script that creates a Google Maps url that can be emailed to people.

For example, if I enter 45.44961 and -122.55816, my script will create this url:

This url works great in Google Maps Classic, but when it's opened in the new beta version, it gives the nearest address, as the original poster brought up.

My problem is some of my recipients are using the classic version, and others are using the new version.

Is there a url formation that would work in both versions of Google Maps, where, when clicked, will pinpoint the exact geo location (and not the nearest address)?

You probably will need to check with Google. Your coordinate was not that far from the address, so I tried it with one locally where the difference was about .1 mile. As you read earlier in the thread, prepending loc: to the coordinates works in the search box. However I could not get it to work in the url. I tried quotes and various locations for the loc:, all without success.

I did notice that the classic maps accept the loc: prefix, but that is of little value if you can't pass it via the url.

You probably will need to check with Google. Your coordinate was not that far from the address, so I tried it with one locally where the difference was about .1 mile. As you read earlier in the thread, prepending loc: to the coordinates works in the search box. However I could not get it to work in the url. I tried quotes and various locations for the loc:, all without success.

I did notice that the classic maps accept the loc: prefix, but that is of little value if you can't pass it via the url.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I couldn't get the "loc:" to work in the url. It kept getting stripped. I tried replacing the ":" with "%3A", but it still got stripped.

As my job involves pinpointing tax lots, I really need it to give exact results to avoid any confusion as to which lot is being discussed.

When you say "check with Google", could you give me some advice on how that is done?

Thanks again.

Prior to the latest "upgrade" I was able to send local coords to Maps (via http) and Google would place a marker on the exact spot (within about 10') WHILE navigation services remained active - i.e. a user could navigate to the very spot.

Now, as the above poster notes, that capability is gone, which trashed about 2 months work for me. GM will still mark locations, but not with navigation. If you try, your location will be the nearest business. (?!!) Hate to sound cynical, but, based on the reaction in forums, it seems like Google couldn't have done a better job wiping out hundreds of small enterprises with a single swipe, had they planned it!

Prior to the latest "upgrade" I was able to send local coords to Maps (via http) and Google would place a marker on the exact spot (within about 10') WHILE navigation services remained active - i.e. a user could navigate to the very spot.

Now, as the above poster notes, that capability is gone, which trashed about 2 months work for me. GM will still mark locations, but not with navigation. If you try, your location will be the nearest business. (?!!) Hate to sound cynical, but, based on the reaction in forums, it seems like Google couldn't have done a better job wiping out hundreds of small enterprises with a single swipe, had they planned it!

Have you tried it recently? It looks like Google has fixed it as they continue to develop the new map format.

* The loc: prefix is no longer needed (in fact, it can't be used)

* Sending the lat long via with url works (click on view on google maps on cache page)

* The pin is on the exact location not the nearest address.

Don't blame Google, you always had the option to use classic maps as a default. But it seems to be fixed now.

Have you tried it recently? It looks like Google has fixed it as they continue to develop the new map format.

* Sending the lat long via with url works (click on view on google maps on cache page)

Yes, it seems to be working now, which makes me very happy!

Don't blame Google, you always had the option to use classic maps as a default. But it seems to be fixed now.

In may case, the problem was I was creating links to give to other people. So I couldn't control which version of maps they were using. So I couldn't be sure my links would work for all recipients. But it seems to be in order now.

Does anyone know if there's a way to display the lat/long if you don't know the coordinates. This being for the NEW beta maps. It works in the old maps, but when right clicking in the new maps, it doesn't display anything, just an address of a nearby location in the upper left search box.

Use GMAP4 and right click anywhere.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php

example:

1378090624.jpg

I am not sure if I am in the right forum, so sorry if not. But thanks for your help:

I want to introduce newbie's to Geocaching, so I give them coordinates to look for on ther smartphone.

For example 47 23.333 9 23.333.

Android users can type loc:47 23.333 9 23.333 and get to the correct tree but not iPhone users. Neither with apple maps nor with google maps.

What can I do that it works both for Android and iPhone users?

I haven't tried in 3-4 days, but I can't tell you how happy I'll be if Google has fixed it.

Again, I have always been able to use the "internet" option and get a marker placed on the coordinates, but what was lost was the ability to do concurrent with navigation. (i.e. at the park using a location-enabled Android device)

Thanks, and I'll look forward to tomorrow's test.

Nothing has changed. When I use "Maps" to mark the location (i.e. with GPS active) Google places a marker in the center of the park, with the park's business name. As before, I can select the "internet" options (vs "maps") and it will place the marker correctly - but no navigation. And I do blame Google - because when I uninstall the upgrade it works perfectly.

It seems obvious that Google now seeks to "guide" us to their choices, and that is, how you say "paradigm shift?" I miss the very "Google" philosophy on which they built their empire: give people the information they are seeking - all of it, unspun, and untainted. They seem to have a new philosophy when the information takes the form of a map.

I am not sure if I am in the right forum, so sorry if not. But thanks for your help:

I want to introduce newbie's to Geocaching, so I give them coordinates to look for on ther smartphone.

Android users can type loc:47 23.333 9 23.333 and get to the correct tree but not iPhone users. Neither with apple maps nor with google maps.

Short answer:

Use Gmap4 and tell the iPhone uses to search on 47 23.333 9 23.333

Longer answer:

Gmap4 is an enhanced Google map viewer. There is nothing to download, nothing to install. It works in most browsers on most devices, including iPhones and iPads. When you open a Gmap4 link with the browser on a mobile device, Gmap4 automatically displays a touch-friendly interface. The following link starts Gmap4 and displays the default map:

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php'>http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php

Now touch Menu ==> Search and enter 47 23.333 9 23.333 and touch Go.

The map will center at that spot.

You can search on most reasonable ways to write either latitude longitude or UTM coordinates.

For more info on Gmap4 please see the homepage. There is a 'Quick Start' near the front of the pdf Help file.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy

Nothing has changed. When I use "Maps" to mark the location (i.e. with GPS active) Google places a marker in the center of the park, with the park's business name. As before, I can select the "internet" options (vs "maps") and it will place the marker correctly - but no navigation. And I do blame Google - because when I uninstall the upgrade it works perfectly.

It seems obvious that Google now seeks to "guide" us to their choices, and that is, how you say "paradigm shift?" I miss the very "Google" philosophy on which they built their empire: give people the information they are seeking - all of it, unspun, and untainted. They seem to have a new philosophy when the information takes the form of a map.

My prior post was talking about New Google Maps vs Classic Google Maps as used on a computer, which is what I think the thread was about. As stated above, Google has been fixing the issues with the New Maps. You seem to be doing something else, but I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps you should clearly explain your issues in a note to Google or the developer of the App are using if that is the case. Certainly posting here in the forums won't help to resolve your problems. Good luck!

Google Earth works on both IOS and Android and 47 23.333 9 23.333 works out just dandy on an iPhone with Google Earth.

Google Earth for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.earth&hl=en

Google Earth for IOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-earth/id293622097?mt=8