Cache guard?

The directions and rating said it would be easy. They said it would be out in the open and not much of a challenge until surrounding grass grew back.

Never one to shy away from shooting fish in a barrel, JC14 and I went to bag it.

Sure enough, from 300 ft out, we spotted it.

It shone like a beacon, a pale, white biking helmet at the base of a tiny, sad-looking tree.

"It doesn't look like a mason jar." she said.

"Kick it over." I said.

She did.

The jar was underneath all right. Along with a humongous WASP!

Instinctively, savagely, I stepped on it.

No one said anything about THAT being in the cache!

Anyone else have a similar experience?

BTW, this was the third of a trifecta! What a great way to get back into things.

~Echo2000

I was heading down a trail yesterday, and about every 10 feet, I'd run into a spider web strung between bushes on the sides of the trail. Finally, I found a big web, with an equally big banana spider sitting in the middle. They're not poisonous, but they're big and scary looking - a pretty effective cache guard.

15701_700.jpg

We stumbled up and down a ravine for two hours today, searching for a cache. This is the year of the 17-year cicada in our area. They were everywhere... on the trees, in the air and on the ground. Several times I'd feel an itch and pull two or three big fat bugs out of my shirt. My daughter called 'em "cooty bugs".

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house."

I think a Stone Golem or perhaps a Guardian Naga is always a good choice.

(Wait, I'm mixing my hobby with my fantasy!)

Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!

--majicman

[This message was edited by majicman on June 26, 2002 at 11:04 AM.]

I found a cache teeming with bugs earlier this month, see my June 4 entry for GCF34. The ickiest part though was that it was raining so I had taken the cache back to my car to open it and sign the log book... yuck! A couple of days later I found GC38F4 covered in snails though I forgot to mention that in the online log.

On October 22 I encountered a snake in GC1257 but because it had already been long established that someone had placed a rubber snake nearby I did not think it was real until I touched it. icon_smile.gif

I found a cache teeming with bugs earlier this month, see my June 4 entry for GCF34. The ickiest part though was that it was raining so I had taken the cache back to my car to open it and sign the log book... yuck! A couple of days later I found GC38F4 covered in snails though I forgot to mention that in the online log.

On October 22 I encountered a snake in GC1257 but because it had already been long established that someone had placed a rubber snake nearby I did not think it was real until I touched it. icon_smile.gif