Owner identification for digital devices

An amateur photographer from a travel forum has a good idea for owner identification of a camera or any digital device including a gps.

He suggested a small jpg with sufficient contact information in case you lost or "lost" your device. I have added this ident jpg to all my SD and uSD cards and for my two cameras and two gps.

owner_id.jpg

Last year while walking a well known forest trail I came across a Jessop battery and SD card. Turns out these items were from a Canon point & shoot and there were a couple of hundred vacation photos from both Canada and the UK but no way to identify the owner. I posted my find on FaceBook and also added to the facebook camera find page but so far no takers.

I misplaced my camera recently, and (now that I've found it) decided that it would be good to have a specially designed info card that I can take a picture of. That way, I can even format the camera's memory card in the field, and still put my info in the camera's memory. I also have a trimmed return address label inside the battery compartment door.

The Garmin 550T's menus have a border where the background shows through. So I edited a profile background with my name & phone number. I also set it rather transparent, so it doesn't get in the way. It's set up like this:

5o5kdf.jpg