Funny Logs, Do you have any?

Guest Fotogg

Do you have any funny logs in your caches?

Here's a great one from one of mine...

"This one was an easy find. But when I bent over to pick it up a stick poked me in the eye

and then something big moved in the bushes.

I think it was a gator. Whatever it was it sent me running back towards the car. About halfway back we stopped and opened the cache and took the pic-up-sticks and left a Saints Bud bumper sticker. We took our picture with the camera and signed the book.Then I ran back to the hiding spot and put it back in the same spot. I never saw what was in the bushes."

Could you imagine that one on a Web-Cam. I can't wait to see that photo icon_biggrin.gif I'm tempted to go get the camera now.

Guest Latitude11

When Shrubber and I visted 'See the Lake' cache, there was a log from Ranger Paula. She had stumbled upon the cache, and was introduced to the geocaching sport, however she advised that one might want to inform officials before leaving an ammo can in a park and scaring ranger paula again! icon_smile.gif

This is not one of my caches but it is hilarious. To check the link you must be logged in. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4131

check the log by RocklinDoc

July 21 by Rocklin Doc (68 found)

CLEVER NAME!!! I will remember this one for awhile. Spotted the cache, looked around and only saw three deer looking at me, so I thought it was safe to grab it. As I was signing the log, a couple was coming up the trail, so I grabed the box and took off down the trail. I bailed off the trail to ditch them but they waited for me. When I thought they were gone, I returned to the trail only to be stopped by them. They asked me if that was the box from over there (describing the location) and if so, please tell them what was going on. They said they saw two Asian women place the box there and thought it was a religous ritual, offering toys to the spirit of a deceased child. They said every time they went back to check the box, it was always filled with toys but the toys were always diferent. After I explained what was going on they were on their way to the sporting goods store to get a GPS. Looks like we have some new Cachers! At 7:50 p.m. I took the skate boarding Bugs Life ant and left the dice. Great cache!

Guest ClayJar

Hmmm... religious toy ritual... Actually, that might get us fewer odd looks than telling people we hiked all day for a yo-yo from an ammo box hidden in a tree. (You know, with the Magellanites of the GPS 3:15 order, caching also includes hand-waving and such; the progressive Meridian Magellanites do away with the hand waving but add offerings of precious metals.)

Guest LoCache

h fellow GGA member Jess. Shortly after heading down the trail we were getting conflicting readings. I went off the trail to the left, and he to the right. I tromped around for a bit, and while walking down a little area bent over about waist height to avoid the branches, I stepped in to a sunny spot and encountered a 5-6 foot black snake of some sort. This was a first for me in 33 years! Those GGA members at our last meeting are probably aware of my fondness (NOT) for snakes. I stopped bent over two feet from his head and for what seemed like an eternity, considered what to do. Remembering my GGA Snake knowledge from our last meeting, I calmly and slowly backed away several feet, still crouched down, and did a right-face and ran like a little girl! In my rush, I crossed over my original trail and kept moving. After getting turned around (GPS was wacked)we used the cell phone and Jess gave me his coords. I tracked back to him and we had a good laugh. I went on to find the Cache which Jess had already found somewhere around the time I was making tracks down the wrong trail! It was WELL hidden, and low on stock. I took the experience of my first encounter with a 10 foot black anaconda (this is going to get better every tine I tell it) and left a Matchbox Tank!

Thanks for the fun!

geo

This is not a log but an email that was sent to the cache owner after the find.

I'm not saying which cache as it will spoil the find.

Yes the pipe was set up. very swish. the GPS put us around the corner post. Thought it would be in the trees/shrubs just next to the wagon. Then did a restart and the GPS said over the fence. We thought it might be private property and there where no obvious places to hide it so i was just about to give up when I spotted it in the tree. "How the &%$# am I going to get that" was my first reaction. Too high to throw the kids!! and they're not quite big enough to stand on yet. Then all was revealed.

Here is the same person's reply after they saw this post.

Sure, it sounds funny to you, but after 5 hits and 500+ km's with two wet and grizzly kids these were real options. icon_smile.gif

------------------

It's out there...let's go get it!

[This message has been edited by embi (edited 25 October 2001).]

Guest Ramness570

TabascoX and I have had some interesting adventures, here are a couple of good ones.

see posts by Ramness570 on sept, 19th and 25th (yes it took me 2 tries)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=7209

Post on Aug 22nd, got lost in a swamp with the GPS.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=5757

------------------

Brian & TabascoX

Senior Memeber Southeast Xterra Club

Geocaching since October 2000.

Guest erik88L-R

I enjoyed reading those logs when they originally appeared, and just enjoyed them again. My wife and I were lost in the same swamp, and finally stumbled back to the car in the dark, so I can relate.

Guest GeoForse

Here is an excerpt of a log I left for a cache in Iowa. I think its pretty funny, but I also have found there is no accounting for beauty or humor!

"We flailed around the park for a while-backtracking and circling the area. I wish I had turned on the trip OD just to see just how far we traveled to find this one.

Great area and great cache. No problem at all with spiderwebs. I think the trail bikers must have cleared them all out before we got there. Or maybe the (deleted) are just supersensitive to spiders!! I hear they actually abandoned a cache hunt once 'cause it was guarded by a small spider and the whole thing was just too icky!!! icon_wink.gif

BTW, I think I discovered something of major significance in the park. I thought at first it was the Sacred Burying Grounds of the Volleyballs -- See photo below. But then, the GreaterForse said they are actually puffballs, a quite edible fungi. In fact, she just fried up a slab of the stuff and brought it in for me to eat. Hmmm! It's kinda tasty, but there's an odd? off? aftertaste!!!.. I 'm getting dizzy?? I can't brea??!!!!!???? ?????? XXX? xxx?? xx)"

75745_200.jpg

[This message has been edited by GeoForse (edited 26 October 2001).]

Guest Tomebug

ip back to the car proved to be a little difficult. I chose to take the trail back and take my chances with the heavy equipment. I suppose I presented quite a sight to the crew. Muddied and bloodied, carrying a GPS which, I suppose, from a distance can look like a weapon to some. Anyhow, a guy in a hard hat approached me and asked with what I perceived to be genuine concern, Do you need some help?

Nah I replied, I just came out to see the bathroom. After an uncomfortable pause he said to me. Oh...it's closed in the winter you know.

Yeah, I know -- it's pretty impressive. I said.

Upon hearing that he fell into sort of a geosynchronous orbit around me -- you know, giving me a WIDE berth and keeping his face to me and exaggeratedly NOT making and sudden moves.

But, heck, I didn't care, 'cause one can't help but feel good after finding a cache.

Happy Hunting,

Tommy

I don't have a funny log to share, but you can bet that in a little while, I'll be posting really wacky, funny ones in log books from near and far! This is a great alternative to the rather trite and somewhat scripted logs that I have been writing thus far. You know how that one goes: took this, left this, weather report. blah....

-----

dartfrogsmall.jpg Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

From the BREEDER cache (August 30th)

August 30, 2001 by mark71mark (211 found)

Today was a very busy day for this cache... Within hours of receiving a go-ahead-and get-it email from Yrium and checking the website to make sure the larva was still present, I drove out to the trailhead. There was a single car in the lot, and I figured what are the odds of that belonging to a geocacher? Well, when I approached the cache, I realized what the odds were, because Stork was already there! Ok, ok, I missed snagging it by mere minutes, I thought to myself. What shocked me was not that Stork was also trying to bag the larva, but that someone ELSE had just been there and grabbed the prize. Take a wild guess who it was... Clue: He's a notorious early riser and his nick starts with V. No one touches this cache for 3 weeks, and then within 1 hour, three people hike up for the larva! I took nothing and left another Coronado Bridge Pass. I'll Be Back!!!

August 30, 2001 by stork (46 found)

I parked in the lot and mine was the only car there. Up the trail I went seeking the Breeder Cache. After a nice half-mile climb, there it was! But I was up for a little more of a hike so after opening the ammo box to be sure the “Larva” was present (of course it was; I checked the web page this morning!), I closed it back up and continued up the hill taking the fork to the right a little beyond the Cache. After another mile the trail ended so I sat for a few minutes and enjoyed the breeze and the view before heading back down to the cache. Along the way down I was thinking of what this log would say. I settled on something like “Stork nabs larva from Breeder Cache; will deliver baby soon!” This was going to be fun! Alas! When I got back to the Cache and opened it up, the larva was gone! Impossible! I checked the log and sure enough, while I was relaxing at the top of the hill, that scoundrel Vagabond snuck up and kidnapped the larva. I looked down below and saw a figure on the trail and in the parking lot, another vehicle. I yelled out “Vagabond! Vagabond!” assuming it was he that I saw. A few moments later as I was re-stashing the cache, the figure appeared on the trail beside me and, lo and behold, it was Mark71mark! Vagabond had made a clean getaway. So I took nothing and left nothing and, like Mark, I shall return!

August 30, 2001 by vagabond (173 found)

As I pull into the parking lot I sense another cacher, I take my cloaking device (the one Montaverde calls my cape) I use it to cloak my vehicle and then myself. I sense the Stork near he is at the cache I remove my magic powders and select the hiking powder and toss it to the breeze waiting for it to take effect, soon he moves off heading upwards I hurry to the cache and remove the larva as I start back down I feel the presence of the nefarious Mark71Mark, I see him in the distance with his confidant swagger and his fist full of Coronado bridge passes as he gets closer I step to the side of the trail and he goes by unkowning I'm there I hurry back to my vehicle and make my escape. ..........Vagabond

Everyone in San Diego County will tell you that the most interesting logs in the county are by Yrium himself...

Here's one as a typical example:

icon_smile.gifJanuary 20 by yrium (79 found)

Gromit has been glaring at me all day. He mopes around a bit then comes back to glare at me some more. The Wonderdog is not having his dream weekend. We had been meaning to visit the Hellhole #1 cache yesterday but met with a couple of obstacles. Well one obstacle really, they don’t allow dogs and Gromit to the uninitiated person looks dramatically like a dog in a lot of ways. He’s got the furry ears like dogs do… He has a long wet nose like dogs do… He runs around on all fours like dogs do… So I can see how people get him confused. Anyway, after an hour of riding around in the car looking for an alternate way to the Hellhole #1 cache that didn’t involved going thru the preserve we gave up and came back home. That was yesterday, today I’ve been watching football all day enjoying myself, Glares from Gromit not withstanding. It’s the heavy sighs that he lets out now and again that are really breaking my heart. “We’ll go as soon as the game is over, I swear!”

Okay the games over we head for the car. The sun has just gone down and it looks like we have about a ½ hour till it gets really dark. Will that be long enough? Nope, heavy traffic on the road keeps us from even getting to the trailhead till dusk is over. Not deterred, I just make sure I have my windup flashlight with me and we start out. Its still light enough so I don’t have to crank it up for a while. Gromit enjoyed this trail last year when we went hunting the WOODPECKER cache and he’s loving it again. There are a lot of dogs with their companions leaving for home now that we greet as we walk along and the smells emanating from the bushes and trees and ruts in the road are scoring me mucho points with the wonderdog. I don’t think he’ll be giving me the eye any more today!

Okay, now its pretty dark, I have to resort to my flashlight to insure I don’t misstep. Whistlestick, knowing the geekiness innate to her husband’s psyche bought me a wind up flashlight that doesn’t use batteries. Ignoring puzzling-wondering looks from others has always been one of my fortes, so I have no problem using the laughable flashlight. “click..click..click..click..click…” emanates into the darkness as I crank away. Only sixty turns and I’ll be rewarded with a blinding beam of photons that will pierce the gloom. “… click..click..click..click!” and I’m done! Now to turn it on. Oh its so bright! I’m blinded I’m blinded! I can’t see it’s so intense! Oh err I’m going to confess here… I’m exaggerating a tad. The piercing beam is actually much more sedate, truth Sayers would probably use the word glow. The luminous glow softly lights our way in much the same way two tired fireflies on the Atkins diet would. We can see, but Gromit and I are heavily into squinting. I begin to have doubts that we will find the cache, but we continue on into the inky blackness.

You get a bit of an atavistic thrill walking through the dark at night with a puny flashlight. Imagining wolves and coyotes behind every dark shadow adds a lot to the enjoyment of the hunt. I recommend walking this trail at night for a change of pace.

The GPS is telling us we are near and I see a jumble of boulders and cracked rock festooned with creeper vines and surrounded by spiny brambly branches. Oh, that’s not going to be fun clambering over in the dark! We circled the mineral outcropping as I studied the GPS readings. Hmmmmm, all of a sudden it’s saying I’m still a hundred feet away. We move off a bit and narrow down our search radius again. Now I’m seeing a much more limited number of places for hiding the micro-cache. I investigate each place with tentative fingers till I touch the light cool plastic of the film canister. Eureka! We found it in the dark, and here Gromit was looking at me like I was crazy. That will show him.

I took the dollar bill in the cache and replaced it with a stamped one as is my wont and then for an added bonus I added a key chain ring. No log to sign so I’m done. With a faint POP I sealed the cache and placed it back in its spot. I wonder what this area looks like in daylight? I can’t tell how much greenery is around me to know if it’s shady during the day or not. The towering tree nearby lords it over this little area. I bet its quite bucolic.

Only one last incident to relate before my log is done, I’ve had to re-crank the flashlight three times more to light our way back out when I see another flashlight bobbing in the distance. Seems we have another nocturnal pedestrian. We get closer and closer till about 20 paces separate us when the oncoming hiker shines his light straight in my face! Is this acceptable behavior? Seems rude to me. I’m walking around with the light from a glowworm and this guy has just ruined my night vision. Now I have to stand still for a bit for it to come back. Let me talk to this guy’s mother! As we pass I offer just a terse “evening” and walk on by. Was that guy silently bragging about his bright flashlight? Kinda making a statement about the relative candlepowers of our respective bulbs? Less confident individuals than yours truly might have been miffed by the comparison but I just continued smugly on. Bet he can’t crank his up when the batteries give out.

Thanks Mark and Marc for the cache. Gromit thanks you too.

My Cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=21551

May 9 by GhostWolf

"This was the third stop of the day for Rex and I. We went to the liquor store and got some Sambuie to go with our Cuban cigars. Then we went to McDonalds and what the heck is up with Indiana not having the 99 cent value menu. Oh well I guess the alcohols cheaper at the expense of higher priced McDonalds. We got to the site and started smoking our cigars with some sambuie whiskey. What a sight to see. We ended up crossing a little stream with a GPS unit, a glass of whiskey on the rocks, and a Cuban cigar. We were a little sidetracked by a plethora of morels which we decided were more valuable to look for while we still had light. Then we noticed we were on the wrong side of the river. We attempted it from the other side and noticed that we had a 1/2 mile hike through small stream crossings and it was just too dark. We never even got close before we decided to call it. I guess it's fitting since Rex and I hid a cache on the wrong side of the river earlier today. Hey Bonnie & Clyde why don't you come on up to Michigan and try The Bear Essentials cache by Rex and I." icon_rolleyes.gifnull

Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive.

Like Parsa said in his log, our resident comedic writer Yrium has to be one of the best story tellers out there. His logs are always funny you can just about see him and his crew as he weaves his tale of mirth. And I hope to see him on the trail again in the near future.

As I know all of older cachers in the San Diego area miss his logs. icon_biggrin.gif

Check http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3657

"After parking the car, we were only 7/10's of a mile from the cache. 7/10's of a mile! One of the unwritten rules of caching (someone take this down, please) is that there is not always a correlation between the proximity of the parking area to the cache site and the ease of the trek. I wonder how many people have entered that clearing, having negotiated the slippery, wet, moss-covered rocks that make up a portion of the trail only to see the hill that lays before them and have, at the very least, uttered some sort of an expletive (or, at the very most, turned around and headed back to the car). There is probably some money to be made if you owned the bottled oxygen concession. This having been said, we gamely climbed this hill and found the cache. Now after this climb one might expect a cache container slighly smaller than a garage, but NO! We found a container one step up from a micro-cache and there was no way that the baseball we had carried up the hill was going to fit. So, TNLN (Took Nothing, Left Nothing). This is a great location and certainly one that we never would have experienced without Geocaching. Thanks for a great hike and view. - Bob & Jill

quote:
May 9 by GhostWolf

"This was the third stop of the day for Rex and I. We went to the liquor store and got some Sambuie to go with our Cuban cigars. Then we went to McDonalds and what the heck is up with Indiana not having the 99 cent value menu. Oh well I guess the alcohols cheaper at the expense of higher priced McDonalds. We got to the site and started smoking our cigars with some sambuie whiskey. What a sight to see. We ended up crossing a little stream with a GPS unit, a glass of whiskey on the rocks, and a Cuban cigar. We were a little sidetracked by a plethora of morels which we decided were more valuable to look for while we still had light. Then we noticed we were on the wrong side of the river. We attempted it from the other side and noticed that we had a 1/2 mile hike through small stream crossings and it was just too dark. We never even got close before we decided to call it. I guess it's fitting since Rex and I hid a cache on the wrong side of the river earlier today. Hey Bonnie & Clyde why don't you come on up to Michigan and try The Bear Essentials cache by Rex and I."

I went back and checked our log and sure enough, we were there the same day! Given their description, I'm guessing the time was about right too. We were just getting back from our attempt at searching the wrong side of the river when a car pulled up with a couple of people who didn't seem pleased to see a couple of women with a bunch of kids. How ironic if we were actually on the same quest - and making the same mistake!

I notice when I checked our log that their note no longer appears on the cache log list. Did they delete it? I'm glad I read it here because it IS pretty funny. Something I'd probably done in my younger, college days. Minus the cigar of course... icon_biggrin.gif

Must have missed the mushrooms...

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

quote:
Originally posted by GeoStars:

Hey, I think we saw these guys!

I'm sure you did icon_wink.gif

They sounded like a fun bunch of people! They had deleted their log after they found our cache, did you hapen to read his "found it" log? He still had an adventure icon_wink.gif

We took them up on finding their cache in Michigan. We headed out their with Capt. Zig Zag & Echoes. It proved to be a very exciting and funny adventure, here is that cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=22103

I think he was shocked anyone even bothered with the water being so high, but we were on a mission!

Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive.

quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie & Clyde:

We took them up on finding their cache in Michigan. We headed out their with Capt. Zig Zag & Echoes. It proved to be a very exciting and funny adventure,

I just went and read your log. Sounds like a great time but I'm afraid we'll have to leave our younger two at home if we try that one.

You'll have to check out my Delt Church Dino Cache sometime. It's not nearly as adventurous as the Michigan one but it's our first and we're kind of excited to have one out now.

We found the first stage of WF's Perfectly Perplexing Puzzles today. That was a lot of fun. Took longer than I thought though and we didn't accomplish what we had gone to Ft. Wayne to do. Guess we'll have to go back. icon_biggrin.gif

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

It is best described in a rhyme.

there was was a lame locationless from nantucket,

to look for a yellow jeep and not a yellow bucket.

I see at least 2 of them a day,

I wish locationless would go away.

They are the lamest ever invented,

Slightly above micro's with useless clues of how to get them.

OH how I cherish the day,

that locationless would just go away.

thank you.

I should have this published.

quote:
Originally posted by yrium:

_ August 30, 2001 by mark71mark (211 found)_

_ August 30, 2001 by stork (46 found)_

_ August 30, 2001 by vagabond (173 found)_

[snipped]

Bwahahaha! That set of logs owns! icon_biggrin.gif

Haven't seen any funny logs myself yet, but I suppose I'll try to make mine more humorous in the future.

--Ashibaka