At least we know why Garmin encourages cross listing on their site...

I don't know how many of you get the Opencaching newsletter, but the new one came out today and it has this blurb in it. I guess we now know why they always encouraged cross listing on their site... <_<:rolleyes:

How would you like for a geocache you’ve hidden to be the one that draws a new cacher into the game? The new Garmin Oregon 600 series features a number of improvements designed to optimize the geocaching experience. And soon, these units will soon come preloaded with OpenCache listings. That means the caches you’ve hidden may appear on the device right out of the box. It’s all a part of our commitment to make geocaching even easier to get into. Discover how you can join us in helping introduce new players to geocaching in your area.

And soon, these units will soon come preloaded with OpenCache Geocaching.com listings.

Fixed it for them.

Preloading caches just seems like a bad idea anyway. In a very short period of time, the listings will be out of date and would include many caches that no longer exist or have moved.

And how is this is worse than that stupid geomate jr that GC was pushing here a while back? A unit that ONLY had coordinates, no descriptions, no nothing, and caused so many problems?

I never did like that idea. I've found that if I go out with data that's even a week old, there's a chance that the cache disappeared in the meantime. That's why I have a weekly PQ of all updated caches in the area, coming in on Saturday (my most likely caching day).

And how is this is worse than that stupid geomate jr that GC was pushing here a while back? A unit that ONLY had coordinates, no descriptions, no nothing, and caused so many problems?

Was? Geomate.jr And per the description it displays the cache header info to include size and D/T ratings, so it's not exactly "no nothing" and plugging it into the computer allows the database to be updated just like any other GPS.

I wouldn't get one as I use real Garmin GPS (which are NOT worse than the geomate).

I don't know how many of you get the Opencaching newsletter, but the new one came out today and it has this blurb in it. I guess we now know why they always encouraged cross listing on their site... <_<:rolleyes:

How would you like for a geocache you’ve hidden to be the one that draws a new cacher into the game? The new Garmin Oregon 600 series features a number of improvements designed to optimize the geocaching experience. And soon, these units will soon come preloaded with OpenCache listings. That means the caches you’ve hidden may appear on the device right out of the box. It’s all a part of our commitment to make geocaching even easier to get into. Discover how you can join us in helping introduce new players to geocaching in your area.

This is not news.

Garmins have been shipping with pre-loaded Geocache waypoints for some time now.

The news is that their site will 'soon have' enough caches cross-listings to seem credible.

It has been alleged to me that someone who uses that other service can import their finds as new listings?

What's up with that?

I've heard about some people importing their hides as new listings but not their finds.

It's also a known fact that (mainly for contests, which happen all the time) people have been known to import caches they don't even own to the site.

It has been alleged to me that someone who uses that other service can import their finds as new listings?

What's up with that?

I've heard about some people importing their hides as new listings but not their finds.

Hypothetically speaking, if one wanted to illustrate that this may have happened, would posting an example here that included a link to the other site be a contravention of this forum's AUP?

What's up with that?

Hypothetically speaking, if one wanted to illustrate that this may have happened, would posting an example here that included a link to the other site be a contravention of this forum's AUP?

Yes, it would most likely be a contravention of this forum's AUP. However, since no one takes them seriously anyways, everyone just believes you. :ph34r:

It is worse. I'm not a fan of preloading caches on any device, whether the caches come from geocaching.com or elsewhere. However, the difference in this case that makes it worse is that the Garmin site starts off with a database that has 15-20% caches that are no longer in play. Load those onto a unit and add in the 1-6 months it sits on a shelf, then the 20% number becomes bigger.

What a stupid idea.

Was? Geomate.jr And per the description it displays the cache header info to include size and D/T ratings, so it's not exactly "no nothing" and plugging it into the computer allows the database to be updated just like any other GPS.

I wouldn't get one as I use real Garmin GPS (which are NOT worse than the geomate).

Except that "plugging it into the computer" required an extra "kit" that wasn't included with the unit, which would discourage updating. While any Garmin GPS can be hooked up and updated with a very standard usb cable that is included with purchase.