4.5lb Walleye GCDFB

They are on the Kenogami River now,and stopped near an old Hudsons Bay outpost. That would seem an obvious spot for a cache.....

I don't know if you remember me TG, but we hiked a few miles together on one of the Bruce Trail Group Hikes. I can't believe you never went after this one. :) Are you saying I got it wrong, and they're not on the Albany River yet? Very possible.

They are definitely on the Kenogami right now. Where the Kenogami runs into the Albany further north is another HBC outpost. The spot they are at now is Mammaamattawa, an old native meeting point where the four rivers meet: Kenogami, Nagagami, Kabinakagami, and Ridge. From what I've read online, the Kenogami up to the Albany and the rest of the way to Fort Albany has been travelled by boat and motor and even large rafts. They should make good time from this point on if the weather cooperates.

I was all set to give this trip a go, but finding others who could take 2 weeks off and were willing was not successful. It's just as costly this way, maybe more than flying in, but the most adventurous way for sure. I still hope to do this trip one day, whether the cache is found or not....

Yes, Mammamattawa is a placename on Google Maps, although it appears to be unpopulated. A Cree hunting camp, perhaps? Wikipedia page Looks like they may have run into some nasty weather on Sunday, June 2nd. This whole thing, and the SPOT tracking, is beyond awesome, if you don't mind me saying, by the way. :P

90% chance of rain in the area today and tonight but it looks like they're going to have real good weather the rest of the week. It looks like they're at the edge of where the heavier rain is but I wouldn't be surprised if they hunkered down for most of the day. So far there hasn't been any movement on the spot map.

Knucklehead from Illinois here. I had read this thread yesterday and thought it would be funny to post an FTF on the eve of Storm's quest. I quickly deleted the log and replaced it with a :-) note to demonstrate I was trying to be funny. Hope at least one person smiled. Good luck to Storm!

Yeah, bogus logging a high-profile cache and triggering the sending of two emails (one for the find and one for the note) to hundreds of watchers. Real funny. <_<

Next time, try to fight the urge to "be funny" in a case like this.

Get over yourselves.

You should come to Sudbury and check out his hides....They are very creative and are extremely original....

Oh that guy ... wow now I know who you mean! Best wishes Stormgren-X for a safe trip and the adventure of a lifetime!!

Fancy meeting you here. :D

Knucklehead from Illinois here. I had read this thread yesterday and thought it would be funny to post an FTF on the eve of Storm's quest. I quickly deleted the log and replaced it with a :-) note to demonstrate I was trying to be funny. Hope at least one person smiled. Good luck to Storm!

Yeah, bogus logging a high-profile cache and triggering the sending of two emails (one for the find and one for the note) to hundreds of watchers. Real funny. <_<

Next time, try to fight the urge to "be funny" in a case like this.

Get over yourselves.

I'm the one who brought it up originally, and I went on to tell him it wasn't all that bad, just not particulary funny. Don't know if "knucklehead" saw my post though. :)

Not at all sure if this is valid (might have been earlier than the time posted that is). It was posted today.

"Welcome to June" taken in Hearst ON.

Still, I've been up that way and seen it before. Out here it's not unusual any time of year.

Watching to see if they find the darn thing eventually. Never done that route, but have the Missinabi from Mattice to Moosonee.

edit: changed link to title... sorry about the commercial.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Not at all sure if this is valid (might have been earlier than the time posted that is). It was posted today.

Hearst

Still, I've been up that way and seen it before. Out here it's not unusual any time of year.

Watching to see if they find the darn thing eventually. Never done that route, but have the Missinabi from Mattice to Moosonee.

Doug 7rxc

In otherwords, it may have snowed in Hearst over the weekend? I actually had to watch a 30 second Lexus ad to see the 15 second video. The Video is titled "Welcome to June".

Yes, moving well right now.

In otherwords, it may have snowed in Hearst over the weekend? I actually had to watch a 30 second Lexus ad to see the 15 second video. The Video is titled "Welcome to June".

Yes, moving well right now.

Yep. They are just to the northwest (and moving). Sorry about the ad... I tried shaving that closer to avoid it. but it didn't want to work. Problem with that site I guess. That was on TV today and as current event.

Not unusual though up north. Glad to see them underway and going good, hope they 'catch up'.

But these trips aren't or should not be a race under usual conditions (say unless it IS a RACE).

I remember a mad dash on the trip I mentioned to catch a train departure (we missed).

Going back to watching occasionally. Thinking that the weather might help control black flies well.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Following along on SPOT is way cool. I wonder if there is a way to project a waypoint onto a SPOT generated track log so that watchers can observe as they near their destination?

Don't think that can be done, other than by the SPOT device in the field, or by the owner or other at the home monitor station, if at all.

As an alternative, use Google Earth and place a map pin at the cache, and copy occasional coordinates from the SPOT site and use them to place progress map pins on the Google Earth map. Easy to do if you don't need all of the track.

Doug 7rxc

Following along on SPOT is way cool. I wonder if there is a way to project a waypoint onto a SPOT generated track log so that watchers can observe as they near their destination?

Don't think that can be done, other than by the SPOT device in the field, or by the owner or other at the home monitor station, if at all.

As an alternative, use Google Earth and place a map pin at the cache, and copy occasional coordinates from the SPOT site and use them to place progress map pins on the Google Earth map. Easy to do if you don't need all of the track.

Doug 7rxc

By the way, I wasn't the least bit mad about the commercial. :P

Oh, I think we'll be able to tell when they're on land around the area of 4.5 Lb. Walleye.

Another plug for that blog post I posted from some guy who took the same trip in 1983, it is totally excellent. It tells how they stumbled on a middle of nowhere graveyard along the Albany River, and how there are unmanned weather stations along the river (which make excellent campsites). He also stated he had heard "horror stories" of people getting lost in the islands of the Albany River Detla near Fort Albany. I can see that, although that was in the days before GPS.

If the CO placed this thing by boat from Fort Albany, which I'm pretty sure he did, he is definitely an experienced navigator.

Another plug for that blog post I posted from some guy who took the same trip in 1983, it is totally excellent. It tells how they stumbled on a middle of nowhere graveyard along the Albany River, and how there are unmanned weather stations along the river (which make excellent campsites). He also stated he had heard "horror stories" of people getting lost in the islands of the Albany River Detla near Fort Albany. I can see that, although that was in the days before GPS.

If the CO placed this thing by boat from Fort Albany, which I'm pretty sure he did, he is definitely an experienced navigator.

I was searching around on the internet this morning and came across that article ( http://missinaibi-yuri.blogspot.com/2007/02/albany-river-1983.html ). A very interesting read.

From the SPOT tracking page ( http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0uomkKqW99n9fSp5yelznVYdc0M1AU2AO ) you can see the coordinates of each posting, but I haven't been able to highlight and cut them to make a track. It's a little more tedious to actually type them into another window but as they get closer I just might do that.

One of their latest coordinates was 50.60442 -84.47739 and the cache is at N 51° 55.225 W 082° 42.669 . Using this site ( http://boulter.com/gps/distance/?from=&to=&units=m ) that puts them about 120 miles away from the cache as the crow flies.

Let's see... to Mr. Yuck... Why not, the thing bugged me intensely. I guess that is how their site gets paid for.

As for wimseyguy... I had some free time and roughed out up til noon their time today on GE.

I wasn't sure about the Spot site so I did it by hand and eye. There is probably a way to download that.. or not!

I guess a screen shot like I used would work and simply add the cache location to the picture after.

Anyway... here is what I did. My labelling went askew due to page confusion... I'll fix later versions if any.

L3 is where I guess they stopped for lunch today. PI(put in is the start of the river portion. C 2 for 2nd camp.

hunt1.png

The Hunt for 4.5 Walleye 2013

Doug 7rxc

I was searching around on the internet this morning and came across that article ( http://missinaibi-yuri.blogspot.com/2007/02/albany-river-1983.html ). A very interesting read.

From the SPOT tracking page ( http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0uomkKqW99n9fSp5yelznVYdc0M1AU2AO ) you can see the coordinates of each posting, but I haven't been able to highlight and cut them to make a track. It's a little more tedious to actually type them into another window but as they get closer I just might do that.

One of their latest coordinates was 50.60442 -84.47739 and the cache is at N 51° 55.225 W 082° 42.669 . Using this site ( http://boulter.com/gps/distance/?from=&to=&units=m ) that puts them about 120 miles away from the cache as the crow flies.

You posted while I was typing the last one. The Missinabi (whatever) is a great trip but has big rapids and of course Thunderhouse Falls. A friend did a spoof for other friends only to prevent some idiot from trying to run it. Good photos taken from points along the rapids by rappelling to water level (not canoeing) then ascending the ropes to get out. Not widely circulated though. Exciting by itself to film.

As to the image, I was able to copy and paste the coordinates fine. Took a while to find them though.

On the list at left side you can click the + sign to expand each 'message' and they are there. Another more useful for me with GE map pins was the orange number tag on the map... click that and there is the info in a different form slightly. also took me a minute to notice the page choice at the bottom. I thought that things were vanishing forever after each session... nope, you can go back right to the beginning. I'm sure that adding 4.5 to the Spot page is not possible for outsiders at least... I did that on GE with a different icon for map pin. I just did the Put In, and mid day stops plus camps. It is still a bit of work by hand for that much.

Have fun... I'm used to tracking balloons done this way.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Sounds like a really nice day out there! They are at North 50 Deg., and I'm going to guess it's plently light out enough to roll until almost 10:00 PM in early June. The furthest north I've ever been is N 48 (in July of one year), and I noticed it was light out almost an hour later then the N 43 Lattitude I hail from. I could be totally wrong though, maybe some Canadians can correct me. :P

Sounds like a really nice day out there! They are at North 50 Deg., and I'm going to guess it's plently light out enough to roll until almost 10:00 PM in early June. The furthest north I've ever been is N 48 (in July of one year), and I noticed it was light out almost an hour later then the N 43 Lattitude I hail from. I could be totally wrong though, maybe some Canadians can correct me. :P

Will N 47 work? Today sunset is 9:02pm. Twilight until 9:42PM.

Edit: Update: N50.8

Sunset 9:45pm Twilight ends 10:29pm

source

Edited by jholly

They started at 7:30AM this morning and it looks, based on the proximity of adjacent SPOT waypoints, that they've taken breaks about every two hours so they're about due for another one. I doubt that they'd reach teh confluence of the Albany river but since they didn't paddle yesterday they might make today a long one and get pretty close.

Lets see if this works... I entered in his stops into a google map.

Try this.

Great... I have to find out the method for that one, beats having to redo my stuff, but GE is up to date as well... maybe a kml(z) file would do it. Just have to get it automatic eh!

I agree it looks like they are down for the night, or at least dinner. Not nice to have to find a spot late then set up. Based on intervals, they might be only a few hours from the Albany. It's not going anywhere.

edit: Looks like it was just dinner and rest... BTW I live at 50 00.700 N and at 2215 I could read outside, dim at 2225, and not much visible at 2235.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Go Storm and crew! Looks like an amazing adventure and so cool that we all can follow along on their progress.

Looks like they made up for lost time today. Weather forecast shows cool nights but sunny mild days throughout the rest of the week. Hopefully smooth sailing paddling ahead for them!

To the OP, if you place new caches on the way there and back, use good size caches and chain them to the tree and far away from the river in case the river chew up the ground.

One trick I use for hiding caches in the wood is to use boiling water to get all the food smell off the cache and bears wont bother them.

It might be years before the next cacher will find it.

I hope you have a fun safe trip and will love to hear your story when you get back. Video and pictures please.

If GZ is so remote that maintenance visits can only be done every 10 years, then I think the cache should be more substantial than a former food container.... :huh:

And good luck, cachers, everyone will be watching your progress!

Wednesday morning, 8:00AM: They're on their way.

Anyone want to guess a day/time for when they reach 4.5 Walleye GZ. I'm guessing Saturday, 11:30AM.

If they keep up the pace of yesterday, I'm guessing they'll get to the cache area Friday at noon.

Want some high drama?! The "rich guy with helicopter" that someone suggested leaves early Saturday morning for GZ, but is just beaten to the cache by the boaters, who find the cache just as the helicopter is landing! B)

That'll "put geocaching on the map," and probably on TV - so there can be another forum discussion about whether too much publicity for caching is a bad thing! ;)

To the OP, if you place new caches on the way there and back, use good size caches and chain them to the tree and far away from the river in case the river chew up the ground.

One trick I use for hiding caches in the wood is to use boiling water to get all the food smell off the cache and bears wont bother them.

I hope you have a fun safe trip and will love to hear your story when you get back. Video and pictures please.

If GZ is so remote that maintenance visits can only be done every 10 years, then I think the cache should be more substantial than a former food container.... :huh:

Food smell can get on other things beside former food containers.

Even if you got an ammo can, the smell can get on it via the tip of your fingers.

Even if you got an ammo can, the smell can get on it via the tip of your fingers.

Okay, valid points - unfortunately the next visitor will probably have food smell on their hands and "taint" a cache. Do you recommend any repellent to keep animals away (without making the cache reek!)?

Okay, valid points - unfortunately the next visitor will probably have food smell on their hands and "taint" a cache. Do you recommend any repellent to keep animals away (without making the cache reek!)?

Using Google Earth I estimated the total distance on the water to be approx. 203 miles (327km). As of 4:18pm EST on 6/5 they had gone 110 miles and had 93 miles to go.

And then they get to paddle all the way back UP STREAM? Holy moly.

This is what I can't stop thinking about.

I would wonder if they would keep going east and get picked up at the Fort.

Maybe, but this option would seem to move the expedition into the "really expensive" category, and I'm not getting the "really expensive is our plan" vibe out of the few posts made by the OP.

In any case, I can't wait to see how this all plays out. Even if the expedition turned back now it would still make for a great story.

Good luck, Stormgren-X! :)

And then they get to paddle all the way back UP STREAM? Holy moly.

This is what I can't stop thinking about.

I would wonder if they would keep going east and get picked up at the Fort.

Maybe, but this option would seem to move the expedition into the "really expensive" category, and I'm not getting the "really expensive is our plan" vibe out of the few posts made by the OP.

In any case, I can't wait to see how this all plays out. Even if the expedition turned back now it would still make for a great story.

Good luck, Stormgren-X! :)

I don't know where you guys are getting that from. The in the OP, he states he is going from Limestone Rapids to Fort Albany. And the guy who blogged in 2008 about taking the same exact trip in 1983 had his canoe flown out of Fort Albany. I don't think there's any way they're paddling back against the current.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I don't know where you guys are getting that from. The in the OP, he states he is going from Limestone Rapids to Fort Albany ... I don't think there's any way they're paddling back against the current.

You're right! That has been the plan all along. ec83192f-97af-4d2a-95cc-cb7580711941.gif

I guess in all the excitement I must have missed that. By "that", of course, I mean the second sentence in the opening post. Gotta learn to pay attention. :wacko: