4.5lb Walleye GCDFB

I'm willing to bet they found it and also found another signature in the log. The dedicated FTF'er was waiting for the first online log to post the find. :)

Or it may have been found by someone not on Geocaching. I had actually signed a park registry book for an Earthcache (it was one of the requirements) before I even knew what Geocaching was. I just signed the registry because we were there and visited it. It wasn't until 2 years later that I got into geocaching and happened to notice there was a cache there. We were first to find and I never logged it But the first person to log mentioned that it had been signed by me. I still haven't logged it as a find, but I did contact the CO and told him. I also told the first to log it to claim f2f since I was not a cacher at the time nor had I done all the requirements.

We'll never know until they tell us the details.

A micro in Alaska placed on the same exact day in 2001. But for some reason, no one ever talks about it. 4.5lb Walleye, on the other hand, has been discussed about 1,000 times. But maybe that's because I'm an East Coast person? I don't know.

Maybe that's because it's a MICRO?!

Ooops - I guess my preferences are showing! :P

So if they did find it and I hope they did, what's the next oldest unfound cache?

A micro in Alaska placed on the same exact day in 2001. But for some reason, no one ever talks about it. 4.5lb Walleye, on the other hand, has been discussed about 1,000 times. But maybe that's because I'm an East Coast person? I don't know.

They could most definitely be in Fort Albany tomorrow. They have the Albany River Delta to deal with too, of course. Personally, I think they're way ahead of schedule, with an amazing run of great weather. They could always go there, check in on the internet, and pitch their tent a mile outside of town if they're too early. There I go speculating again. :P

If they actually found 4.5lb Walleye tomorrow Kougarok will set the record for going the longest without being found.

If they find 4.5lb Walleye I'm going to be looking into getting to Alaska.

You know this, but it's June - better make those Alaska plans fast! Another excerpt from Jack London's "To Build a Fire," set in the Yukon in winter (in the days before you could push the red button on your unit and have a satellite call for help):

This man did not know cold. Possibly all the generations of his ancestry had been ignorant of cold, of real cold, of cold one hundred and seven degrees below freezing-point. But the dog knew; all its ancestry knew, and it had inherited the knowledge. And it knew that it was not good to walk abroad in such fearful cold.

So if they did find it and I hope they did, what's the next oldest unfound cache?

Maybe because the last and only DNFer admittedly threw a throwdown there. Could be part of it, just a guess.

That cache is so obscure and uncared about, I did not know that. Here's an example: Mrs.Incredible linked to another cache thinking *it* was the oldest unfound cache:

Yes, you're on to something I think. He wants to go look for a throwdown? A throwdown is brutal on a never found cache. This was probably 5 years ago, and I'd never find it, but there was a cache at the top of a Mountain in Spain (about an 8,000 footer, I believe) that went a couple years without being found, and the first guy up there threw down, and claimed a find. The 2nd finder went up there and found the real cache, and even started a thread ranting about it here. :P

Is it just me or is he moving REALLY fast this morning?

By my calculations, their best 10 minute distance yesterday was just over 1 mile (6mph) today their best is about 1.25 miles (7.5mph)

edit: dumb math mistake

Edited by the3gmen

Tomorrow the biggest challenge will be to properly navigate the delta as they work their way into Fort Albany. But I'm confident that they'll figure it out.

I'll plead ignorance here. Can someone give a quick explaination why navigatint the delta should be so hard ? The blog of the trip in 1983 (1984?) mentioned that they were concerned but they only had paper maps to guide them. Not a fancy gps like these guys do.

Is it just me or is he moving REALLY fast this morning?

Couple more hours at most. When he gets there, he better get his arse off that boat, and run to the internets.

By my calculations, their best 10 minute distance yesterday was just over 1 mile (6mph) today their best is about 1.25 miles (7.5mph)

edit: dumb math mistake

I think my internet was lagging... It seems to be traveling the same now. I was wondering how they crossed that huge first island in only 3 minutes! But then again I think part of it was wishful thinking on my part...

they are in Fort Albany. :)

As far about internet, they can find someone that would let them use the wifi.(people in area like this are more friendly to their river guest.)(if you ever hiked the PTC, you would understand where I am coming from)

Edited by SwineFlew

Just a little detective work. I found the phone number of a business. I suspect getting a visitor is significant news in the area. Unfortunately, the business is closed on the weekends. :( Your turn! :)

A business in Fort Albany, Canada:

Phone number: Bilingual (English & French)

1-800-267-1177

Work hours: Sunday: -

Monday: 10:00 - 17:00

Tuesday: 10:00 - 17:00

Wednesday: 10:00 - 17:00

Thursday: 10:00 - 17:00

Friday: 10:00 - 17:00

Saturday: -

Features: Stamps and shipping services

Post Office Boxes

Money Orders

Revenue Canada forms and guides

Passport application forms

Debit and credit card payment

Just a little detective work. I found the phone number of a business. I suspect getting a visitor is significant news in the area. Unfortunately, the business is closed on the weekends. :( Your turn! :)

1-800-267-1177

Post Office Boxes

Money Orders

Oh yea, Especially if you come in by river.

As far about internet, they can find someone that would let them use the wifi.

Doing a quick search, at least one lodging location has wifi.

Nice find...

I see this one http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g815499-d974272-Reviews-Astum_Ney_Da_Restaurant-Fort_Albany_Ontario.html

but I dont know if they got wifi. There is a number u can call. :ph34r: If they are open today, ask them if they see anyone coming down the river. :laughing:

Tomorrow the biggest challenge will be to properly navigate the delta as they work their way into Fort Albany. But I'm confident that they'll figure it out.

I'll plead ignorance here. Can someone give a quick explaination why navigatint the delta should be so hard ? The blog of the trip in 1983 (1984?) mentioned that they were concerned but they only had paper maps to guide them. Not a fancy gps like these guys do.

I'm curious, too. It's all new to me. I've never been anywhere like that before.

And the suspense is killing me. Find some wifi already!! Lol

As far about internet, they can find someone that would let them use the wifi.

Doing a quick search, at least one lodging location has wifi.

For a long trip like this they would have scheduled in at least a day when they might be weather bound so if they're planning on flying their canoe to Moosonee (the getting on a train) they would probably need at least a day to to make air arrangements and mostly likely planned on staying at that lodging location for at least one night. At least, that's what I would have done...

Although it might advertise internet access, in many remote places like this internet access can be quite intermittent (and slow). I stayed in a hotel in South Africa that advertised internet access, but when I got there I found that I could buy a two hour voucher, but they were all sold out until "tomorrow".

I have never posted on this forum before, but I have to say how much I have enjoyed this thread over the past 36 hours. Thought it was time to stop lurking and post something. I first saw the quest for the FTF in the SLAGA (St Louis, MO) geocaching association FB page.

I am voting for the a FTF.

I have really enjoyed seeing the SPOT tracks. My brother-in-law has a SPOT2, and I have tracked him on some of his Geocaching adventures. From what I have read in the reviews, the SPOT is mostly a love it, hate the customer service and billing type of relationship. However, seeing it work in action here, I might be persuaded to get one. I drive 35k miles/ year as a Hospice chaplain, plus enjoy doing the high terrain caches.

This was at least as fun as watching the counter in quest of the 2 Millionth cache, if not more. Now just waiting for the word about DNF or FTF!

Edited by Pastor G

Hello All! We are presently in Fort Albany at a Lodge and did just take a shower and rest awhile. I was hoping to post a video of our attempt at GZ but don't think I can....

What a great adventure and search for the 4.5lb Walleye Cache! We do have a lot of photos, stories, audio clips and videos to share. But am presently on limited bandwidth and on my iPod. If someone can help me with making the video available to others I will email it to them.

I have been reading the forum posts and want to thank everyone who has been following along and cheering us on! The GZ video awaits! :)

1-800-267-1177

Post Office Boxes

Money Orders

Oh yea, Especially if you come in by river.

LOL

Anyway, A-Team's recommended lodging gets rave reviews!

My goodness...this place is INCREDIBLE!!! I recently visited with a friend during a business trip, and were wonderfully surprised when we walked through the door into paradise. The interior is AMAZING...such a beautiful, clean, creative design...VERY comfortable, very light and bright, a complete chef-grade kitchen, fully stocked with pots, pans, plates...a laundry area, satellite tv, wifi...you really don't even have to leave this place at all. Although being right on the river, it's a wonderful base from which to explore Fort Albany. And of course if you have the desire to buy groceries or anything for obscene prices, there is the Northern within a two minute walk from the hotel itself. STAY HERE!!! You will NOT be disappointed!!! The beds are VERY comfy too!!! :D Best sleep of my entire trip here!!!

I suspect a famous cacher will write the third review also saying, "Best sleep of my entire trip here!!!"

Watch him post that review before posting on GC - just to pull our chain!

I was hoping to post a video of our attempt at GZ....

* stunned silence *

Well, commentators, what do you make of it?!

I read this one of two ways. 1) By "attempt" he means they didn't find it. 2) He's messing with us. :P

He did post a happy face.

Hello All! We are presently in Fort Albany at a Lodge and did just take a shower and rest awhile. I was hoping to post a video of our attempt at GZ but don't think I can....

What a great adventure and search for the 4.5lb Walleye Cache! We do have a lot of photos, stories, audio clips and videos to share. But am presently on limited bandwidth and on my iPod. If someone can help me with making the video available to others I will email it to them.

I have been reading the forum posts and want to thank everyone who has been following along and cheering us on! The GZ video awaits! :)

I'm sure someone can help - has anyone emailed to lend a hand? If no one else can I will, but I'm about to walk out the door and won't be home until this evening so I'm hoping someone else could do it sooner. :)

Mrs.Incredible linked to another cache thinking *it* was the oldest unfound cache:

I was going off this list. At least, with the micro, someone has *been* to GZ and searched and didn't find it. With Walleye, nobody had actually made it to GZ.

Conch Shell Horn

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=feacb14f-103e-4d36-b8b5-8cd40d955834

Edited by The_Incredibles_
Mrs.Incredible linked to another cache thinking *it* was the oldest unfound cache:

http://www.geocachin...6c-d9283538ea21

Hidden July 10, 2001

I was going off this list. At least, with the micro, someone has *been* to GZ and searched and didn't find it. With Walleye, nobody had actually made it to GZ.

Conch Shell Horn

http://www.geocachin...b5-8cd40d955834

It wasn't that clear to me that anyone has been to GZ for the Conch Shell Horn cache. The most recent log is a "virtual visit" by Lars the Garden Gnome. The other two are more "wannabe" notes.

I had to look at where this cache is. Looks like it's a tiny Venezuelan island a bit north of the mainland and not too far from Trinidad and Tobago. I actually know someone that lives in Trinidad and Tobago...won't she be surprised when I come visit?

I figured as much as they knew we were waiting to hear something the first thing they would do when they reached civilization was shower, eat, call family & friends to say they were okay, get drunk, rest and THEN update us.

I'm pretty sure they found it but either way I can't wait to see the video!

I was hoping to post a video of our attempt at GZ....

* stunned silence *

Well, commentators, what do you make of it?!

I read this one of two ways. 1) By "attempt" he means they didn't find it. 2) He's messing with us. :P

He did post a happy face.

How did I overlook that crucial clue???!