4.5lb Walleye GCDFB

Quick informal poll, I am not judging success either way because I am most impressed by their journey just to get to GZ, but what say you who are following this thread with as much enthusiasm as me:

Found it or DNF?

As generally an optimist I am going with Found it!!

Throw in a '01 GPSr and a (no offense jmatear) no finds hider and you probably have a tough hide to find.

Yes, but it isn't impossible at all, much of the time. It does take a bit more savvy than current devices though.

I started caching in 08 with the 45xl and while not many, I still used to find some tough ones. Part me, part luck often. Got a map 60 cx in 2010 and have been playing with an etrex 20... lots of difference each time.

Doug 7rxc

Quick informal poll, I am not judging success either way because I am most impressed by their journey just to get to GZ, but what say you who are following this thread with as much enthusiasm as me:

Found it or DNF?

I'll join you there - or at least a "found evidence of where it was" at the very least :D

Found it or DNF?

It's hard to say. I've come up with some scenarios in my mind that could plausibly describe their behaviour in the context of a find, but there are other scenarios that are equally plausible in describing a DNF. That being said, the lack of any custom messages of any type makes me lean more towards the negative side. I would have expected at least a "Check in/OK" if they had found it.

...but hey, how many DNFs get their own 7 page forum discussion and hundreds of watchers? Whether they found it or not, it's still a significant event.

Found it or DNF?

I'll join you there - or at least a "found evidence of where it was" at the very least :D

That's my guess as well. Perhaps they went back to their canoe to grab a bottle of champagne then went back to GZ for photos and a celebration.

this has been interesting, I certainly hope the trip was rewarded. Total time on scene seems 2 hrs, 10 minutes. I am thinking that perhaps the step away was for another look or for pictures.

I'm sure the trip in itself was a reward! Not exactly something you do every day!

Everyone knows that DNF posts often make the best stories!

As for my opinion... I think they did it. They spent at least three beacons (minimum 20 minutes)at the same coordinates (GPS lock due to bad view, aside). Then it was straight back to the shore and then the canoe then gone with the wind er, water. Still we won't know till they tell us. Still about 2 days to go if you count the rest of today and good paddling.

Doug 7rxc

Found it or DNF?

By my calculation they spent just over 2 hours near ground zero. That gives plenty of time to search, take pictures, fiddle around, whatever.

I know that if it was me and I spent over a week and however much money getting myself to the spot of the cache, I would certainly wouldn't declare a DNF after 2 hours of searching.

The fact that they left after only 2 hours tells me that they found the cache or enough of the cache to claim the find.

Found it or DNF?

I say Found It. But regardless, I can't wait to read the whole story and see the pictures!

Dos anyone care to add this to the wikipedia page for "Drunken Bee Dance" ?

orpeFUI.png

I would say #28 is coming ashore,

#27 to #32 is searching for, finding, inspecting and signing the cache.

#33 is a spot for some pictures looking back at cache and canoe,

#34 is more pictures of cache and canoe

#35 - #38 back at cache, buttoning it up and replacing it

#39 more pictures

#40 back at the canoe and on their way

Edited by the3gmen

Dos anyone care to add this to the wikipedia page for "Drunken Bee Dance" ?

orpeFUI.png

I would say #28 is coming ashore,

#27 to #32 is searching for, finding, inspecting and signing the cache.

#33 is a spot for some pictures looking back at cache and canoe,

#34 is more pictures of cache and canoe

#35 - #38 back at cache, buttoning it up and replacing it

#39 more pictures

#40 back at the canoe and on their way

By your numbering example... I'd say 26 /40 represent the canoe parking spot. Other than that it fits well.

They certainly did spend time in the same area at least once maybe twice, maybe that jaunt out to the right

was a rethink, then back in to 'find' it, or maybe your way. No way they walked right to it straight off in my book.

Will wait for the story.

Doug 7rxc

Found it or DNF?

I am also going with Found It! I know it has been a long time in a remote location with rather extreme weather - but it was 75 yards back from the river and the CO certainly went to great effort to place it all the way out there. AND - no human has touched it since (as far as anyone knows). I'll bet it was still there and intact.

But however the search turned out - I'm with you... impressive just to get there!

I've had a great time following this adventure. The lack of constant visual and verbal communication from the team has made it more like reading a Jack London book than watching a reality TV show. There has been just enough information from the SPOT device and the satellite map to allow me to use my imagination as the journey has progressed. I hope they found it but even if they didn't the approach was more fun to follow than someone flying into Kaschechewan Airport and jumping into a motor boat with a camera crew and a satellite uplink. I wish them a safe return.

I've had a great time following this adventure. The lack of constant visual and verbal communication from the team has made it more like reading a Jack London book than watching a reality TV show. There has been just enough information from the SPOT device and the satellite map to allow me to use my imagination as the journey has progressed. I hope they found it but even if they didn't the approach was more fun to follow than someone flying into Kaschechewan Airport and jumping into a motor boat with a camera crew and a satellite uplink. I wish them a safe return.

Yeah, that's a Jack London type adventure for sure. :P I swore of speculation after my stupid comments about whether or not they would stop at Ghost River, but I think they found it. Stormgren-X only referred to his partner as a friend, and possibly a non-Geocacher, but I would have spent a minimum of four hours looking for this thing. Assuming they can get some internet access in Fort Albany, I guess we'll find out by Monday? Who knows.

Glad they didn't try it in winter. Then the Jack London book could have been the classic "To Build a Fire." And for fans of that great story, here's the first paragraph:

Day had broken cold and gray, exceedingly cold and gray, when the man turned aside from the main Yukon trail and climbed the high earth-bank, where a dim and little-travelled trail led eastward through the fat spruce timberland. It was a steep bank, and he paused for breath at the top, excusing the act to himself by looking at his watch. It was nine o'clock. There was no sun nor hint of sun, though there was not a cloud in the sky. It was a clear day, and yet there seemed an intangible pall over the face of things, a subtle gloom that made the day dark, and that was due to the absence of sun. This fact did not worry the man. He was used to the lack of sun. It had been days since he had seen the sun, and he knew that a few more days must pass before that cheerful orb, due south, would just peep above the sky-line and dip immediately from view.

Edited by wmpastor

I don''t know Roman. 2hrs doesn't seem that long to me, not for somewhere they've taken a week to get to! Heck I spent 1hr looking for a cache 5 minutes from my house recently . I would be turning over every nook and cranny of the GZ, and doing it 5 times more before moving on if it were me.

On a different note - surely I'm not the only one sat here tonight just watching their progress back to civilisation??

I don''t know Roman. 2hrs doesn't seem that long to me, not for somewhere they've taken a week to get to! Heck I spent 1hr looking for a cache 5 minutes from my house recently . I would be turning over every nook and cranny of the GZ, and doing it 5 times more before moving on if it were me.

On a different note - surely I'm not the only one sat here tonight just watching their progress back to civilisation??

I am still watching them.

Nope... I'm on a tight deadline for work and since I saw this posted on the Podcacher Facebook page yesterday, I haven't even started!

I'm hoping the lack of a SPOT message and the amount of time spent at GZ means they're thinking of an awesome way of phrasing the F2F story for the log. Guess we're just going to have to wait until they return back to civilization! I hope it's soon so I can get back to concentrating on work. My boss is only so patient when it comes to my Geocaching addiction, I think the fact I didn't do my work this time would allow me much more time to Geocache but not the funds to do so if you know what I mean.

I'm going with "Found It." I think the container was damaged but still there. The return to the canoe was to get some supplies to repair the container, perhaps replace a soaked logbook, etc. As others have said, 2 hours is way too short a time to give up on it.

Also, as others have said, the trip was a hugh success whether they found it or not! Truly a geocacing experience of epic proportion!

Looks like they've stopped for the night... Hopefully they'll post something before they start off tomorrow. This is inspiring me to get a group together to go after the APE cache in Brazil. I know it's been found, but it's on my bucket list! I finally got a passport before the Yuma Mega Event and would LOVE to put it to use sometime!

Glad they didn't try it in winter. Then the Jack London book could have been the classic "To Build a Fire." And for fans of that great story, here's the first paragraph:

Day had broken cold and gray, exceedingly cold and gray, when the man turned aside from the main Yukon trail and climbed the high earth-bank, where a dim and little-travelled trail led eastward through the fat spruce timberland. It was a steep bank, and he paused for breath at the top, excusing the act to himself by looking at his watch. It was nine o'clock. There was no sun nor hint of sun, though there was not a cloud in the sky. It was a clear day, and yet there seemed an intangible pall over the face of things, a subtle gloom that made the day dark, and that was due to the absence of sun. This fact did not worry the man. He was used to the lack of sun. It had been days since he had seen the sun, and he knew that a few more days must pass before that cheerful orb, due south, would just peep above the sky-line and dip immediately from view.

now I have gone and looked it up - somehow it seems like

a sacrilege to read any literature on a smart phone or electronic media. I don't know, it's just a hang up of mine. so I think I will print it out and read it ( a slightly better option) . your opening lines made me think of the poet Robert Service - I've always liked him.

and yes , I am becoming a little obsessed with wanting to hear FTF !!!!! I just can't believe anyone would go fir such an enormous adventure and the take so little time at GZ for a DNF. so I'm hoping that they did find something ! I wonder if they will get a laugh reading all of te speculations and comments on this thread.

Edited by oxford comma

Tomorrow the biggest challenge will be to properly navigate the delta as they work their way into Fort Albany. But I'm confident that they'll figure it out.

Next they'll have to work out a plan for getting themselves, their canoe, and their gear onto a plane headed back to someplace else that will eventually allow them to return to wherever they left their car on or about June 1st.

Next they'll have to work out a plan for getting themselves, their canoe, and their gear onto a plane headed back to someplace else that will eventually allow them to return to wherever they left their car on or about June 1st.

Maybe I thought too highly of them, but I would have assumed that this would have been something they've have figured out before they set out??

I mean, when I plan just a basic trip with the kids I think "how are we getting there", "how are we getting back" (and obviously "what do we do in the middle" as well).

Maybe I thought too highly of them, but I would have assumed that this would have been something they've have figured out before they set out??

I mean, when I plan just a basic trip with the kids I think "how are we getting there", "how are we getting back" (and obviously "what do we do in the middle" as well).

Well, I'm sure they went in with a pretty good idea of what their options would be and what they'd need to do once they got back to civilization, but I doubt if they have reservations on a particular flight out, having been unable to predict in advance exactly when they'd arrive in Fort Albany.

Well, I'm sure they went in with a pretty good idea of what their options would be and what they'd need to do once they got back to civilization, but I doubt if they have reservations on a particular flight out, having been unable to predict in advance exactly when they'd arrive in Fort Albany.

For anyone needing more info about Fort Albany, here are some excerpts from Wikipedia:

The majority of the population speaks Mushkegowuk Cree. Many men and women, younger and to the age of fifty, are bilingual in Cree and English. Air Creebec provides Fort Albany with daily passengers’ flights, with connecting flights to Toronto and/or other points of travel. These arrangements are done in Timmins on Air Creebec, Air Canada, Thunder Air, or Bearskin Airlines. Air Creebec transports mail and provides other freight services through Fort Albany Airport. The present passenger rate is $921.90 for an adult return trip to Timmins. These rates increase on an annual basis. Seat sales are available, which are less expensive than the regular fare price. The seat sales have to be booked ten (10) days in advance. Air Creebec also provides charter flights when required.

wherever they left their car on or about June 1st.

hope they waypointed their vehicle :huh: I still forget to do that...

I have a feeling that someone drop them off and will be picking them up at another location.

Seems like you can't get to Fort Albany by car from elsewhere in Canada.

The community of Fort Albany is accessible by air, by water and also by the winter road. The winter road is only used during the months of early or late January to early or late March depending on the weather conditions.

now I have gone and looked it up - somehow it seems like

a sacrilege to read any literature on a smart phone or electronic media. I don't know, it's just a hang up of mine. so I think I will print it out and read it ( a slightly better option) . your opening lines made me think of the poet Robert Service - I've always liked him.

and yes , I am becoming a little obsessed with wanting to hear FTF !!!!! I just can't believe anyone would go fir such an enormous adventure and the take so little time at GZ for a DNF. so I'm hoping that they did find something ! I wonder if they will get a laugh reading all of te speculations and comments on this thread.

I was pleasantly surprised to find Jack London's entire short story online, & when I read that paragraph above, I didn't stop until the end. It's like watching "Titanic" - you know the inevitable outcome, but that doesn't make each moment in the process any less riveting.

So if they did find it and I hope they did, what's the next oldest unfound cache?

A micro in Alaska placed on the same exact day in 2001. But for some reason, no one ever talks about it. 4.5lb Walleye, on the other hand, has been discussed about 1,000 times. But maybe that's because I'm an East Coast person? I don't know.

They could most definitely be in Fort Albany tomorrow. They have the Albany River Delta to deal with too, of course. Personally, I think they're way ahead of schedule, with an amazing run of great weather. They could always go there, check in on the internet, and pitch their tent a mile outside of town if they're too early. There I go speculating again. :P

Edited by Mr.Yuck

So if they did find it and I hope they did, what's the next oldest unfound cache?

A micro in Alaska placed on the same exact day in 2001. But for some reason, no one ever talks about it. 4.5lb Walleye, on the other hand, has been discussed about 1,000 times. But maybe that's because I'm an East Coast person? I don't know.

Maybe because the last and only DNFer admittedly threw a throwdown there. Could be part of it, just a guess.

wherever they left their car on or about June 1st.

hope they waypointed their vehicle :huh: I still forget to do that...

I have a feeling that someone drop them off and will be picking them up at another location.

Seems like you can't get to Fort Albany by car from elsewhere in Canada.

The community of Fort Albany is accessible by air, by water and also by the winter road. The winter road is only used during the months of early or late January to early or late March depending on the weather conditions.

I am very very aware of that. I was thinking about picking them up at the train station.

I am not sure why many people in here are worrying about this. I feel very strongly that these guys knew what they were getting into. They had a plan and very good plan. Anyone that does serious kayaking/canoe know all about pickup and drop off location.

Maybe because the last and only DNFer admittedly threw a throwdown there. Could be part of it, just a guess.

I got mix feeling about that cache... all because of that throwdown and I got a feeling its MIA again.

They could most definitely be in Fort Albany tomorrow. They have the Albany River Delta to deal with too, of course. Personally, I think they're way ahead of schedule, with an amazing run of great weather. They could always go there, check in on the internet, and pitch their tent a mile outside of town if they're too early. There I go speculating again. :P

If they actually found 4.5lb Walleye tomorrow Kougarok will set the record for going the longest without being found.

If they find 4.5lb Walleye I'm going to be looking into getting to Alaska.