4.5lb Walleye GCDFB

They probably just want to hunt fresh in the morning... and deliberately bug the heck out of us.

QEF huh... 7 + days of paddling, the logistics of even starting the canoe part, the costs of everything even on the cheap path... yep Quick and Easy this one. I admit to trying to relate 4.5 walleye to the cache (theme wise).

Maybe it was a memorable catch du jour way back, but then I had images of it placed within a fresh catch and left out... nah!

As for Black Flies... I thought of using that link for those who don't know about them... glad someone did.

Right now may well be before they come out up that way. I was back in the Bancroft area in May 2010 and never even thought about what I was doing heading into the bush for a cache or two.. 2nd week of May first of local blackfly season... I still have some scars. Been in BC too long I guess.

Anyway, I think they might just be putting us on a bit, or not. Morning will tell, anyone seen the spot forecast (not that SPOT). I guess Ft. Albany would be the closest.

As for Which SPOT... the originals only had 911, Help (your choice) and OK with position for all.

Spot 2 and thus had the increased messaging... and was the first to allow timed tracking, so they are not using the original or they would be doing it by hand all the time. As for messaging. Anyone know what he uses for GPS? The Spot 2 and I think the Delorme 60? can link and send on the fly to a limited degree. Then there is the SPOT phone which uses the sats to make calls and send/receive data... you can see the products if you click the SPOT add up the top left. I think there are newer model Spots, and I don't know if the phone includes the Spot functions or is just a phone/data device... it is a sat phone not cell.

Whew. supper time for me.

Doug 7rxc

They probably just want to hunt fresh in the morning... and deliberately bug the heck out of us.

It's been about 3 hours since the last update so I suspect that they may be camped out for the night. They still have an hour or so before sunset but I'm not holding my breath at this point. I'm kinda surprised that they didn't post a custom message as they've done most of the other times they've stopped for an extended period. They've typically left SPOT going for more than a few 10 minute intervals so it's hard to tell what's going on.

I also suspect that the device they're using has more than 2 custom messages. It would be hard to believe that they only had two custom messages available and didn't leave one of them for a "Need Help" message.

It would be hard to believe that they only had two custom messages available and didn't leave one of them for a "Need Help" message.

I own a spot device too, the way the buttons work are as follows:

1. Check in/OK <-- Can set a custom message.

2. Custom Message <-- Can set a custom message.

3. Help <-- Can set a custom message. So you can ask for non emergency help (flat tire, out of gas, stuck in a ditch, etc.)

4. SOS <-- Can not set a custom message. S and R just comes to save your butt.

If you look at the message type when he sends (Hi, All is well but experiencing poor weather or high winds. May be little or no progress today.) It shows as a "Custom Message".

If you look at the message type when he sends (Hi everyone, trip is going well and we will be on the move today, good weather & having fun.) It shows as a "Check in/OK".

So he still has two more buttons to use for the two levels of help needed, although I can't see using the non emergency help button all the way out there.

Edited by sdkonkle

3. Help <-- Can set a custom message.

So I guess he might have put in a "Found it!" message or similar under the Help button, but that's about as many messages as he can use. Therefore, if we see them arrive at GZ, stay there for a while, then leave without any such message, we can probably assume they didn't find it.

We should have arranged some kind of code before he left. Once they arrived at GZ, two "Check in/OK" messages back-to-back for a find, three for a DNF, or something like that. Oh well.

So I guess he might have put in a "Found it!" message or similar under the Help button, but that's about as many messages as he can use. Therefore, if we see them arrive at GZ, stay there for a while, then leave without any such message, we can probably assume they didn't find it.

We should have arranged some kind of code before he left. Once they arrived at GZ, two "Check in/OK" messages back-to-back for a find, three for a DNF, or something like that. Oh well.

Just watch the cache, I sure he'll post a TFTC with his smartphone if he finds it.

Funny thing, if they find it one day later Kougarok will be unfound longer than 4.5lb Walleye as they were place the same day. I'm actually eyeing Kougarok, that would be a fun trip and the SPOT tracking device looks cool, a definite must have.

On the flip side a DNF with the CO going there later this month will add to the story of 4.5lb Walleye. Can't decide which scenario makes a better story but I do wish Stormgren-X good luck when he starts his search.

I own a spot device too, the way the buttons work are as follows:

1. Check in/OK <-- Can set a custom message.

2. Custom Message <-- Can set a custom message.

3. Help <-- Can set a custom message. So you can ask for non emergency help (flat tire, out of gas, stuck in a ditch, etc.)

4. SOS <-- Can not set a custom message. S and R just comes to save your butt.

If you look at the message type when he sends (Hi, All is well but experiencing poor weather or high winds. May be little or no progress today.) It shows as a "Custom Message".

I assume that the device has some way of preventing accidental signals, maybe by requiring a sequence so as to avoid accidentally pushing the SOS button and triggering a costly search and rescue. :o Also, we'd hate to see an incorrect "FTF - TFTC!" due to "butt-dialing"! :laughing:

The higher-end units seem to have the custom message feature, so at least you could send out "Sorry, ignore that SOS!"

Just watch the cache, I sure he'll post a TFTC with his smartphone if he finds it.

I'm sure you're joking, but I checked the Verizon cell coverage map for fun. Their part of Ontario has no coverage. Further north in Manitoba, there are a few tiny areas of coverage near Hudson Bay. I know there's some see-the-polar-bears tourism in that area, which probably means towns, etc.

Well, it's Saturday, and not everyone is in the same time zone, but I'm a watching, and they hit the water at 8:18 AM. I can't image it will take more than a half hour to get there. We shall watch, and see what happens, and hope their is some way of conveying whether or not the cache still exists.

EDIT: By the way, here's the weather: Fort Albany And it's a moot point now, but in the first half of the trip, I was looking at Mammamattawa Weather Although uninhabited year round, they obviously have an unmanned weather station out there somewhere for that.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Should be there by now, we missed another beacon. Perhaps they are cruising slowly using the GPS for the best landing.

edit: now both the current and missed are in. seem onsite

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

thinking about the find/dnf messaging, maybe they will just post the same 'all is well message' for find and 'the bad weather' one for DNF.. or perhaps just take off down river for DNF.

Soon

Doug 7rxc

Yes, the "bad weather" message would be an omen, since we know it's sunny & going up to 70ºF.

Sounds like spy messaging. A real thrill to follow this in real time!

Edited by wmpastor

thinking about the find/dnf messaging, maybe they will just post the same 'all is well message' for find and 'the bad weather' one for DNF.. or perhaps just take off down river for DNF.

Soon

Doug 7rxc

If it were me and I only had those two messages at my disposal, I would send 2 or 3 consecutive "all is well" messages for a find and 2 or 3 consecutive "bad weather" messages for a dnf.

The quicker they are back on the river, the better the news I would think.

Soon

Doug 7rxc

If it were me and I only had those two messages at my disposal, I would send 2 or 3 consecutive "all is well" messages for a find and 2 or 3 consecutive "bad weather" messages for a dnf.

We're thinking the same way. You'd keep looking for a dnf. Multiple "code" messages would show special significance.

Soon

Doug 7rxc

The "bad weather" message would be especially significant, seeing as it's Sunny, and going to be 73 Degrees in Fort Albany today. Man, I didn't know it even got up to 73 in August there. :laughing:

Lets hope Stormgren-X and friend think the same way the posters to this thread think.

Course, whether they spent time or no time at GZ, we have no idea if it will mean a find or DNF. I have spent a lot of time at a cache whether I have found it or not. Taking pictures, trading swag, or whatever. Since they can't send any messages most likely and probably do not have cell coverage, I think it will be a total guess if we know they have found it or not. Wish them luck.

I just hope they find it, I'm supposed to be working but instead I'm addicted to following them. I have no idea what the Spot thing does other than follows them, but I keep refreshing there and here.

But I agree, we may not know for awhile if they are FTF or DNF, but I wish them the best of luck! To bad the CO couldn't meet them there today instead of later in the month.

watching them at GZ - what an accomplishment!! I doubt we will know if they found it or not for many days until they make it back into civilization. Wishing them luck on their hunt! I can only imagine the logistics it took to make this expedition. Can't wait to read about their adventure!

Reading the hints just now.

"75 +- yards from river bank

Opposite east channel of island

Base of spruce tree

To right of small stand of cedar trees

Under rock, moss at base of tree"

measuring on GE I had the problem of 'where is the river bank'?

The visible shore in the aerial view, the top of the steeper bank, or some other reference. High or low water (the CO hints spring is better for boats).

The East channel? I make that to be the eastern most channel mouth of that little island to the north... as viewed from the landing point looking over the river. Doesn't work for where they camped last night.

Maybe it refers to something the photo doesn't show clearly, like those little indentations along the south shore, but that might be residual ice.

The best one is the spruce vs cedar stand, but again, which point of view, looking inland from shore, or from inland to the river, up or downstream? Anyway wish I could see it live or be there. Sigh!

Doug 7rxc...

sorry if I didn't fix caps somewhere this is an old laptop and the keys stick or fail.

Next update should tell us alot.

Well....I know EXACTLY the same now as I did prior to the latest updates. Wishful thinking on a "Check In" after emerging from the woods.

:lol: Yeah, it's like getting the "To Be Continued" on a TV show's season ending. NOOOO!

Edited by mertat

30 min. at gz, & it appears they're ready to leave. Aha!

The last update shows them back closer to the river but not in the same spot as where it appears they first landing. Looking at the path they took from where the the next location showed 20' or so from GZ for the cache. Then they went into the trees a bit for awhile then back to a spot close to GZ before heading back toward shore. The last spot is back closer to where it looks like they may have landed. No way of really telling if they actually found it.

I imagine the hint is just guesswork now. How much looks the same since '01?

Maybe they're trying to get a new scope on the hint area.

My back field was bare in '01 and now needs trees cut down and most of us have seen how river banks change over the years.

Yep, there's a tough puzzle cache in this region that ends way out some logging roads in a clearcut. Someone posted a photo of the area around the cache in 2004, and the few trees that were there are only a foot or two tall (they must have been recently planted) and the stump the cache was hidden behind would have been easy to spot from a distance. When we got there in 2011, it took a while to find the cache because all the trees had filled out and were 10-15 feet tall. Now, this is a temperate rainforest we have here. I don't know how fast trees grow in that part of Northern Ontario.

This was placed in 01 and GPS then were not what they are today. Trying pin point navigation was better after they lost SA, but not that much.

I still use my 45xl from mid 90's for some things, but not for tight work.

In 2001 it was lucky to have a day with 10m epe and only went to 2 decimal points on DD MM.mm . Add it was the guys first placement and likely got one MARK (at best a couple). and the hints are the best method now.

The appearance can change, but like I said earlier, it was a tree (spruce) and close to cedars. It will take some boots on ground detective work for sure. That tree should be larger now but still spruce.

Doug 7rxc