Garmin GPSMAP 62S vs Oregon 600

I could use some advice regarding to the subject receivers. I like the touchscreen in the Oregon 600 and that it's GLONASS enabled, but wonder if the quad hellix antenna in the 62S can indeed make a difference in terms of reception. Any help is welcome....

Thanks!

The software features and the GLONASS capability of the Oregon 600 vastly outweigh the perceived accuracy increase purported to be in the quad helix antenna.

Insig, thanks for your feedback. My other concern is that the Oregon 600 was so recently launched that there aren't many reviews on it... Do you have any further input to provide?

I haven't been reading anything about the 600's....but looks pretty neat. Waterproof, wifi, 4000 geocaches, turn by turn navigation (I'd still use my Nuvi).

If Garmin could figure out the issues with the firmware to prevent crashes....

Is it the same as the other Garmins? In other words - it will only utilize 4000 geocaches at any given time no matter where you put them (SD card or internal memory)

It'd be even BETTER if they allowed 4000 in internal memory and utilized the SD card to double (??) your geocaching data.

The Oregon 600 can hold over 2 million caches and have them all accessible at once. There is a long thread on it here. Also check out the GPStracklog guest review here.

I'm not in the market for one. Since someone else asked - just thought I'd ask also.

Seems to be a conflict of interest on Garmins behalf.

According to this site (specs tab), it only holds 4000 waypoints.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod113532.html

But according to the same site (over-view), it can hold 4,000,000 goecaches.

Makes me wonder...???

The Oregon 600 can hold over 2 million caches and have them all accessible at once. There is a long thread on it here. Also check out the GPStracklog guest review here.

I'm not in the market for one. Since someone else asked - just thought I'd ask also.

Seems to be a conflict of interest on Garmins behalf.

According to this site (specs tab), it only holds 4000 waypoints.

But according to the same site (over-view), it can hold 4,000,000 goecaches.

Makes me wonder...???

There's a difference between waypoints and geocaches. Why they don't explain it better is a mystery to me.

There's a difference between waypoints and geocaches. Why they don't explain it better is a mystery to me.

The only way its even close to being believable, is if they made it able to access the SD card AND the internal memory at the same time. Loading an SD card would be almost limitless pending the size of the SD card.

The 62S is the best GPS for geocaching I've ever used and I've used plenty including the Montana ( too big ). I like it so much I bought a second one for my wife.....the 450 screen is a tad dark but panning the map on the 450 is a nightmare and everything seems to take more than one finger poke. If the 600 is the same size as the 450 and has the Montana screen I might go for one after all the bugs are gone ( usually takes over a year)and the price drops.

Regarding accuracy I can't imagine better than the 62S.....half the time I step on the cache around GZ or hit it with my head .

All things being equal I'll take a quad any day .

The only way its even close to being believable, is if they made it able to access the SD card AND the internal memory at the same time. Loading an SD card would be almost limitless pending the size of the SD card.

Yeah, you can load caches on the internal mass storage drive, the SD card, or both. That's the same as it's been on other devices in the past.

My 2c,

I've owned 8 different Garmin models since the XL.

I purchased a 62 for heavy field use about two years ago. Used it for two months, the buttons wore off, the screen resolution isn't the best, and the features and functionality left me wanting.

I sold it and just used my 450 until the Montana came out. The Montana left me wanting nothing in terms of functionality and features. My new Oregon 600 is everything the Montana is and more within a smaller size. The Oregon 600 already has mature firmware and it blows the doors off the 62 in my opinion. Unless you just have to use buttons instead of touchscreen(buttons that wear off readily) I'd go for the 6xx.

Again, my 2c

Yeah, you can load caches on the internal mass storage drive, the SD card, or both. That's the same as it's been on other devices in the past.

But the unit will not look at both at the same time. It will only process one or the other.

It does look at both at the same time.