Car swiped while caching....

pater47

....side-swiped that is. I'm a couple of hundred yards deep in the woods going after a leg of a multi-cache. My car is parked on the side of the road, COMPLETELY off the road. I'm writing down the info I need for the next leg and I heard what sounded like two cars colliding. I hurry up and head back out to see if anyone needs help. When I get back to the road though, nobody is there so I figure it wasn't a collision after all - until I walk around to the driver's side of my own car. YIKES! Evidently someone had run off the road, hit my car, and kept going. I can't help but wonder if it was intentional. No major damage, just slight denting and scratching to front fender and a busted headlight. Although the headlight still worked (albiet pointed rather strangely) I decided to cut my caching short and come on home before dark. Is it a sign of addiction when your worst disappointment of your car getting hit is cutting your caching short?

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

That's nothing. I made the cops wait for me while my wife tried to explain what I was doing in the woods. She called me on the Nextel, I said just let him wait I'm signing the log book.

You have the begining stages of GeoDisfunction. If you were in the later stages you would have shruged it off and continues with your hunt.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

Once I was looking for a cache in the woods near an old abandoned mental hospital. It was well after dark when I found the cache, and my flashlight batteries were dying. I grabbed the logbook and stumbled down the trail back to my car, figuring I could get an extra set of batteries and fill out the logbook there. I was a little nervous owing to the stories about the inmate that escaped years ago and was never recaptured. Supposedly old "Hookhand Jim" successfully evaded capture until the hospital closed, and then moved into the empty buildings. The area surrounding the hospital is kind of creepy, and there were some disappearances and mysterious deaths, so needless to say I was a little nervous. As I sat in my car filling out the logbook, I kept hearing this weird sound, like something was brushing against the car: thump-scra-a-a-ape! Thump-scra-a-a-a-a-ape! I figured it was just a tree branch, but I was spooked. I layed the logbook on the seat, started the car and gunned the engine, spraying dirt, rocks and dead leaves behind me.

I came back the next morning to replace the logbook and encountered nothing unusual during the trek to the cache.

However--

As I returned from the cache and walked around the back of my car, I saw something that made my hair stand on end and my blood run cold:

There, hanging from the trunk latch of my car was a stainless-steel prosthetic appendage. More precisely, a hook. icon_eek.gif

Okay, so maybe that DIDN'T happen... icon_wink.gif

I think we need a new topic: Geocaching Fiction!

quote:
Originally posted by Ethan Upper:

Once I was looking for a cache in the woods near an old abandoned mental hospital. It was well after dark when I found the cache, and my flashlight batteries were dying. I grabbed the logbook and stumbled down the trail back to my car, figuring I could get an extra set of batteries and fill out the logbook there. I was a little nervous owing to the stories about the inmate that escaped years ago and was never recaptured. Supposedly old "Hookhand Jim" successfully evaded capture until the hospital closed, and then moved into the empty buildings. The area surrounding the hospital is kind of creepy, and there were some disappearances and mysterious deaths, so needless to say I was a little nervous. As I sat in my car filling out the logbook, I kept hearing this weird sound, like something was brushing against the car: thump-scra-a-a-ape! Thump-scra-a-a-a-a-ape! I figured it was just a tree branch, but I was spooked. I layed the logbook on the seat, started the car and gunned the engine, spraying dirt, rocks and dead leaves behind me.

I came back the next morning to replace the logbook and encountered nothing unusual during the trek to the cache.

However--

As I returned from the cache and walked around the back of my car, I saw something that made my hair stand on end and my blood run cold:

There, hanging from the trunk latch of my car was a stainless-steel prosthetic appendage. More precisely, a hook. icon_eek.gif

Man , that is like a tale from Weird New Jersey...thanks for the laugh this morning! Now I can come out with my story of being abducted by aliens while out caching and that was why I was late getting home...for some reason , my wife didn't believe that one!

Darkmoon

"After you've heard two eyewitness accounts of an automobile accident, you begin to worry about history" -Anonymous

My car was vandalized by "the rainbow people" (hippies that live in the ocala national forest in florida). As soon as I told the police where it happened they said "well we know who did this, but unfortunatly unless someone sees it happen...." Luckily I totaled the car the next month so I didn't have to get it fixed. the lonsome vehicle seems to be an attractive target.

quote:
Originally posted by ColdMachine:

However--

Thats great! I think it would be a good topic icon_smile.gif

.-=Amish_Hacker=-.

Hmmm,when I was a teenager this was our favorite Halloween story,... not the car sideswipe, but the hunt in the woods and the hook hanging from the car door handle...but I still laughed, thanks for the memories. What is the alien abduction story? I could use a new one..

Not all who wander are lost