Geocaching.com site update May 30th 2013

Pls, where is the "Remove from my watchlist" button?

At the top - says "Stop watching"

Still, I don't see this "Stop watching"...

Where Right/Left to, Above/Below?

Mine is at the very top of the forum page I am on - there is a blue circle icon and the words Stop Watching....I can't add the screen shot I took but if you email me akiteflier at gmail dot com I can send it to you.

Mine is at the very top of the forum page I am on - there is a blue circle icon and the words Stop Watching....I can't add the screen shot I took but if you email me akiteflier at gmail dot com I can send it to you.

Are you talking about 'Watching' these 'Forum' pages? If so, Yes, Thanks, yet I know about about this Forum 'Watching' Blue square buttons at the top.

I think Joe Tramp, and I too, want to know where the 'Stop Watching' button is for caches you already have in your Watchlist. I cannot seem to locate any direct link that used to be in the previous cache page design that says "Remove from Watchlist" in the Top-Right "Navigation" column, under "View Gallery", above "Ignore Listing".

I believe the discussion is about the new cache page design, not the forum :)

Sorry for not specifying my "question". I mentioned it regarding the new cache-page design. Overall, I like it and get used to it quickly, the calendar at log-page is handy :) The only thing I miss now is the "stop watching" button - I have to manage it in my complete watchlist, which is quite long... So take it as a suggestion.

Read the last update's Release Notes

Release Notes

The latest update to Geocaching.com will start rolling out shortly. Here are some highlights:

• You may help decide the next evolution of the geocache page design! A random selection of visitors to Geocaching.com will see new a geocache listing page design; sorry, no spoiler pics in these release notes. If the group reacts favorably, a new look to the geocache page could be introduced across the site in the next few weeks.

Hmmm, I couldn't view this new cache page design in Safari.

Not even in Chrome.

Then, when switching to Geico, err Firefox, I do see it.

Ramdom selection, by user? By bowser?

Anyways, nice addition! Very 'informative'! I like it!

Just one request: I would love to 'jump' to the specific log when clicking on the large icon image.

Thanks!

~ Dr.MORO

I haven't seen the new page design, and I use Firefox. I just assumed I wasn't one of the randomly selected testers.

Release Notes

The latest update to Geocaching.com will start rolling out shortly. Here are some highlights:

• You may help decide the next evolution of the geocache page design! A random selection of visitors to Geocaching.com will see new a geocache listing page design; sorry, no spoiler pics in these release notes. If the group reacts favorably, a new look to the geocache page could be introduced across the site in the next few weeks.

Not even in Chrome.

Just one request: I would love to 'jump' to the specific log when clicking on the large icon image.

Thanks!

~ Dr.MORO

I haven't seen the new page design, and I use Firefox. I just assumed I wasn't one of the randomly selected testers.

SORRY for the confusion - I still have "remove from my watchlist" on my main cache page - top right in the box with Log your visit, view gallery, remove from watchlist, ignore listing, bookmark listing...,

Generally I like the look of the new layout - it looks cleaner than the old one. However...

• At first glance I couldn't find the "Log a new visit" link, as it looked like a heading. It isn't styled consistently with any of the other links / buttons on the page.
  • The "Watch" link should change to "Un-watch" when you're already watching a cache - or at least pre-select the cache when it takes you to view your whole watch list.
  • The "Found it" smiley (or accompanying text) should link to your log for the cache. As a bit of a feature request, it would be nice to see a blue frown icon here with a link to your DNF log, for caches you've already failed to find.

Edited by jri

I see that the new look is on one of my computers, but not on the other. Interesting, same browser but different OS (Vista vs Win7).

I have the same comments as jri. The "Log Visit" doesn't bother me as once it's found it is not hard to get used to. In fact I think I like the look, but

1. The Watchlist doesn't let me know if it is already on my watchlist or not. I believe the old page showed if it was and had the option to remove it from your watchlist.

2. I do like the "idea" of linking the "Found Smiley" to your log.

Otherwise I find the new look easy to read and very clean.

I'm in the processing of rolling out a hotfix to address the date logging issue.

Is this hotfix active? Because just now I have logged a "Temporarily Disabled" log for my girlfriend's cache: I entered 06/05/2013 to the date input field, date format is MM/DD/YYYY. The log shows as 06/04/2013. See here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=c3828f49-332c-4fe8-b962-5a6a6dd96c6f

I logged in Germany, in the early morning hours of June 5th. At this early hour, it was still June 4th in the United States, maybe this is the problem? But shouldn't we be able to log with the correct local date even if other parts of the world haven't reached that date yet?

I'm in the processing of rolling out a hotfix to address the date logging issue.

Is this hotfix active? Because just now I have logged a "Temporarily Disabled" log for my girlfriend's cache: I entered 06/05/2013 to the date input field, date format is MM/DD/YYYY. The log shows as 06/04/2013. See here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=c3828f49-332c-4fe8-b962-5a6a6dd96c6f

I logged in Germany, in the early morning hours of June 5th. At this early hour, it was still June 4th in the United States, maybe this is the problem? But shouldn't we be able to log with the correct local date even if other parts of the world haven't reached that date yet?

From my experience, that has always been a problem. Logs that affect the status of a cache (disable, enable, for example) always seem to revert to the date in Seattle at the time the log was posted. It's a bit strange and annoying but you learn to live with it :)

Here in New Zealand, where some 20 or so hours of our day is a day ahead of Seattle, these date problems are very apparent.

The hotfix was to address the issue where this date reversion problem had extended to all logs including find logs and notes. This was fixed.

Edited by funkymunkyzone

Ehm .. is there now a redirect on cache pages? I now get:

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4BV3E_tempus-fugit-ii-pixelperfect?utm_expid=3682814-19

instead of:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC4BV3E

There is a canonical tag to yet another format:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=19063fb2-786c-4d10-bf4c-a5c9eefb7da2

Since the user and search engines get sent to different versions of the URL, this smells like very bad practice, and is quite inconvenient since URLs shared will have (more) different formats now.

Something to look into?

I logged a few more of my caches from last week - if I failed to use the calendar but, rather, typed in the date then they were posted with today's date - if I used the calendar to CLICK the date from last month THEN they stuck with the actual log date. Super frustrating. Hope it will be worked out in the end.

Ehm .. is there now a redirect on cache pages? I now get:

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4BV3E_tempus-fugit-ii-pixelperfect?utm_expid=3682814-19

Read the first post:

You may help decide the next evolution of the geocache page design! A random selection of visitors to Geocaching.com will see new a geocache listing page design; sorry, no spoiler pics in these release notes. If the group reacts favorably, a new look to the geocache page could be introduced across the site in the next few weeks.

I guess you are one of the test subjects. Did they give you a way to offer feedback?

Yes, I seem to be, since I also see the new top-right menu style.

I'm not sure I see the point of testing URLs and canonicals on a limited group, since it's really done mainly for SEO purposes.

I don't see any feedback option.

[...]

The version seems to depend on the cookie with name "__umtx", and its value:

54847549.jHyk2XpETSCf8R-astAtFQ$3682814-19 gets me the old cache page and regular URL

54847549.jHyk2XpETSCf8R-astAtFQ$3682814-19:1 gets me the new cache page and changed URL

Yes, I seem to be, since I also see the new top-right menu style.

I'm not sure I see the point of testing URLs and canonicals on a limited group, since it's really done mainly for SEO purposes.

I don't see any feedback option.

[...]

The version seems to depend on the cookie with name "__umtx", and its value:

54847549.jHyk2XpETSCf8R-astAtFQ$3682814-19 gets me the old cache page and regular URL

54847549.jHyk2XpETSCf8R-astAtFQ$3682814-19:1 gets me the new cache page and changed URL

Thanks. Users have been asking them to test upcoming changes for years, and it looks like they have taken that step. They seemed to have forgotten one aspect of this. Letting you know that you were looking at a new page and giving you a way to offer feedback on it. It seems that most of the feedback has been coming from those that have figured out how to see the page, but weren't actually intended to.

Release Notes

Not even in Chrome.

Thanks!

~ Dr.MORO

When it was first released, I could view it in Safari. Two days later, it was gone. Haven't seen it since.

New design test page:

On the page of a cache you have already found you used to be able to click on the date found notation and it would take you directly to your past found it log. That is no longer available. The date is there but it is not clickable. To see a found it log I may have done 7 years ago I have to scroll through hundreds of past logs to get to it.

I just experienced this as well and second this opinion. Being able to jump to your Found/Attended log can be VERY helpful.

I'm missing that link, too. Please bring it back.

Kind regards

Moun10Bike,

I've gotten one of the new formatted newsletters.

I don't like it. This consistent shift to minimalist colors continues to make the webpage and now newsletter more and more bland. There's a reason I constantly get greasemonkey to add old icons and colors back to the page.