More worthwhile swaps

I'm back in the game after a long absence. Years ago, the swaps had some worth— not necessarily value, just worth; maybe a set of batteries, a tin of sardines, a toothbrush . . . now they are usually items I would expect from a Corn Flakes box. Are there really that many kids doing it? I've been leaving scratchies in the hope that somebody might just rip a big prize. That'd be uber cool.

Come on people, use your imagination. There are a million options.

I've found ammo cans stuffed full of surprisingly good stuff - always with a several mile hike involved. Don't see that in park & grabs (maybe when they're brand new) or even in hiking caches that are less than watertight. Unfortunately, I suppose the reason why the swag is good in those remote caches is precisely because not very many people find it.

I figure that little kids are the ones who'll be really disappointed if there's no swag, and that's why I leave "Corn Flakes" swag (I like that name!).

I found one cache that had a lot of REALLY nice trade items, including a phone complete with all the accessories. But you know the drill: trade up, trade even, or don't trade. Who brings valuable stuff like that on the trail, extra stuff that they aren't using, just hoping they'll find a cache with similarly valuable stuff to trade for it?

Finding worthwhile stuff for cheap is not really that hard. I just check out the clearance section of whatever store I'm in and stock up when things are cheap enough. I've collected quite a few things to trade and for usually .25 or less per item.

When I first started caching most of the time it was with my kids. I selected larger type caches so they could get the enjoyment of trading out. My kids no longer cache with me but I like to keep the caches I find stocked up. Mostly ammo cans that I know will keep everything nice and dry.

Here are some of the trades I've done over the last year with all items being .25 or less:

T-Small Alien

L-Budweiser Coasters, 10-pak Pencils, Star Wars Eraser, Fancy Paper Clips, Magnetic Frames, Small Wooden Box, Skull Buttons, Creepy Stocking Mask, Locker Mirror, Grow Your Own Chocolate Bunny, LOVE Metal Candle Holder.

T-Nothing

L-Womens Bracelet, Red Rubber Duckie, F150 Matchbox, Sunscreen Towelette, Drink Koozie w/Carbiner, Loretta Lynn/Conway Twitty 8-Track Tape, Pack of Wolf Stickers, Deathlok Comic Book, Mini Blinds Cleaner, Sunburn Relief Towelette.

T-Baseball

L-Peace Notes, Pink Floyd 8-Track Tape, Pack of Water Balloons, 5-Pak Gel Pens, Hippie Rubber Ducky, Industrial Earplugs, Pedicure Kit, Fingernail/File Kit.

Not one "Corn Flakes" toy in the bunch....lol

Adults complaining about swag has never impressed me. They can go out and buy their own stuff.

I leave for the kids.

I agree 100%. If you need a can of sardines or a toothbrush, then go to a store.

Most of my caches are filled with McToys and little plastic animals. I rarely trade myself. However, if we take the kids out, trading is very important for them and, in fact, critical to a successful family outing.

A few months ago I won a ready-made cache at an event at a local resteraunt and all of the swag inside was stuff from the local dollar store. I've been trying to leave mini LED flashlights that are only a buck or so but are still practical and have a use unlike much of the swag in caches today. The problem with caches today are that they're too small for swag, and the ones that have enough room for swag items are filled with tiny childrens toys and other useless junk.

problem with caches today are that they're too small for swag, and the ones that have enough room for swag items are filled with tiny childrens toys and other useless junk.

I'm not the most experienced cacher, but I do agree. I've not found anything other than junk.

I love leaving swag for kids. I throw a handful of little toys, bracelets, foreign coins, and the like in any cache large enough to hold it. Often that makes it the only swag in there...or at least, the only swag that's not wet or moldy. A new plastic baggie is often part of the deal. If I find some cheap but decent things adults will like, I'll stock up and leave those, but I never expect to find "treasure" for me.

Mctoys, mmm. I would throw them in but would not trade or let my children trade them. They were free with a children's meal. They are worthless.

However my kids have been known to get exciited when they see these toys and they have taken them, forcing me to 'trade up'. I now have to leave something of value don't I? Wasn't this the idea? So I look through my bag of goodies and leave something, maybe junk jewelry, I small torch, pack of golf tees and such.

I carry some pretty groovy items (not a mobile phone) for adults too, just never been appropriate to trade.

Original post - trade up for that junk, or don't trade.

I think the OP's reminiscence about the good old days is a bit rosy. People have been complaining about crappy swag in caches since I started geocaching. Most caches had junk going way back.

True fewer and fewer cache have any swag at all. I've even encountered ammo boxes with nothing more than a logbook inside. But when I encounter caches with swag I see no real difference between today and 10 years ago. Some are nicely stocked, but most look like someone dumped their wastebasket into the cache.

The problem is nice, clean, new swag quickly becomes old, broken, soggy swag after sitting in a leaking container for a few months. I have a small supply of trading items that I carry, but I rarely find anything I really want. I collect wooden nickles with GC handles on them. If I don't find one I don't already have I leave the swag alone.

For the most part I don't carry any swag with me anymore because there are so few caches that are truly waterproof and big enough to be good depositories for anything useful. I used to put Orienteering maps of local interest in caches but seldom carry any with me now unless I know I'm headed for a good waterproof container.

If it is intended to be in a person's mouth, I will take it out of the cache and throw it away. I just think it's inappropriate and would hate for any kid to find a toothbrush or piece of candy or gum and put it in their mouth without thinking.

The other day I found a tampon in a cache. Really, folks?!?! REALLY? If you can't put something appropriate for any age in the cache, please just "TNLN" and S the darn L.

Edited by J Grouchy

I find that searching for decent swag is just as fun as looking for a cool cache. Every now and then you find a store or bin that has worthwhile stuff. I had some party favors I must have bought for my sons birthday but missed giving them out. A 25 pack of 6˝ beachballs. Deflated they fit perfectly even in some smaller caches. The big party supply stores are a good spot, they have some multy packs of toys for cheap and some toys are all right.

Edited by Rabid_Dingo

The problem is nice, clean, new swag quickly becomes old, broken, soggy swag after sitting in a leaking container for a few months.

I agree. That's where the cache owner comes in. A clean-up once or twice a year helps to keep the cache free of deteriorated swag as well as dirt, twigs and leaves that unavoidably accumulate over time.

I am new to this but I leave something (size permitting) even if I take nothing. I have a bag that has everything from little rubber toy frogs and lizards to metal D&D miniatures that I used to paint.

What do I leave? it depends on the size of the cache and how water proof it is.

I will admit there is one case where I took something but left nothing,I know I know..."Bad Viking"..BUT I did go back and leave something there a week later. so hopefully my geocache sin is forgiven ;)

Sardines?? LMAO..Don't think I'd eat out of a cache..just saying

I took my mother-in-law out with my kids to get a cache. Lovely woman, but a germophobe extrodinaire. There was small bottle of water in there, still fresh and (from the logs) left within the previous week or two. I grabbed the bottle and drank it down. She was completely mortified and blamed all my illnesses over the next year on this act. :)

I took my mother-in-law out with my kids to get a cache. Lovely woman, but a germophobe extrodinaire. There was small bottle of water in there, still fresh and (from the logs) left within the previous week or two. I grabbed the bottle and drank it down. She was completely mortified and blamed all my illnesses over the next year on this act. :)

Your killing me...ROFL

A PA cacher, Waterboy, has left a bottle of water at every cache he's found since he started in 2001. He does a lot of his caching in northern NJ. Some years ago he hit about a dozen caches in a state forest and left his trademark water bottles at each one. A few months later another cacher unwisely headed out on a steaming hot summer day without any water. He eagerly drank every bottle of water he found at each cache in the park. Being that it was a 10+ mile hike it might have saved him from getting in serious trouble.

I'm surprised she was even willing to go caching. There are BUGS out in the forest. :laughing:

A PA cacher, Waterboy, has left a bottle of water at every cache he's found since he started in 2001. He does a lot of his caching in northern NJ. Some years ago he hit about a dozen caches in a state forest and left his trademark water bottles at each one. A few months later another cacher unwisely headed out on a steaming hot summer day without any water. He eagerly drank every bottle of water he found at each cache in the park. Being that it was a 10+ mile hike it might have saved him from getting in serious trouble.

We used to see WB's pony bottles all along the AT. CJ even used one once when a spring ran dry (I didn't want her taking the chance that the next one might be too) on the way back to the truck.

We replaced it with a larger one next time we strolled through. A lot of people owe that guy...

Finding worthwhile stuff for cheap is not really that hard. I just check out the clearance section of whatever store I'm in and stock up when things are cheap enough. I've collected quite a few things to trade and for usually .25 or less per item.

When I first started caching most of the time it was with my kids. I selected larger type caches so they could get the enjoyment of trading out. My kids no longer cache with me but I like to keep the caches I find stocked up. Mostly ammo cans that I know will keep everything nice and dry.

Here are some of the trades I've done over the last year with all items being .25 or less:

T-Small Alien

L-Budweiser Coasters, 10-pak Pencils, Star Wars Eraser, Fancy Paper Clips, Magnetic Frames, Small Wooden Box, Skull Buttons, Creepy Stocking Mask, Locker Mirror, Grow Your Own Chocolate Bunny, LOVE Metal Candle Holder.

T-Nothing

L-Womens Bracelet, Red Rubber Duckie, F150 Matchbox, Sunscreen Towelette, Drink Koozie w/Carbiner, Loretta Lynn/Conway Twitty 8-Track Tape, Pack of Wolf Stickers, Deathlok Comic Book, Mini Blinds Cleaner, Sunburn Relief Towelette.

T-Baseball

L-Peace Notes, Pink Floyd 8-Track Tape, Pack of Water Balloons, 5-Pak Gel Pens, Hippie Rubber Ducky, Industrial Earplugs, Pedicure Kit, Fingernail/File Kit.

Not one "Corn Flakes" toy in the bunch....lol

be still my beating heart.... ;)

Stupid is as stupid does...

The other day I found a tampon in a cache. Really, folks?!?! REALLY?

Those things are perfect for cleaning paintball guns.

Not only that, but they soak up moisture like a sponge. Perhaps it was put there in lieu of dessicant?

This one was still sealed in its plastic packaging...not doing much good in that regard. More likely it was just someone feeling obligated to put something into the cache and grabbing the first thing she could find in her purse.

Cool swag for adults I've found in caches:img_06431.jpg?w=300&h=225img02193.jpg?w=300&h=215geo-button-magnet.jpg?w=640bracelet2.jpg?w=180&h=175b77405ca-ad5e-4ca2-8a95-35f97f4fa275.jpg?rnd=0.3034065

LOne R, great photos of swag for adults, and a very interesting and creative geoswag blog.

Some of the best swag we've ever found was from TokenCollector. He put interesting items in bags along with information sheets on the items. We always learned something.

The other day I found a tampon in a cache. Really, folks?!?! REALLY?

Those things are perfect for cleaning paintball guns.

Not only that, but they soak up moisture like a sponge. Perhaps it was put there in lieu of dessicant?

This one was still sealed in its plastic packaging...not doing much good in that regard. More likely it was just someone feeling obligated to put something into the cache and grabbing the first thing she could find in her purse.

They actualy have several legitimate wilderness survival uses:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/06/05/survival-tampon/

Come on people, use your imagination. There are a million options.

In my area, at least, trading has become very rare. There are many reasons for this, but I think the main one is that people realized they were trading just to trade. For example, trade for something at the first cache, then trade what you got at the first cache for something else at the second cache, etc. In other words, swag became nothing but tokens representing trading regardless of the actual value of the item. As more and more people came to that realization, the people that didn't give up trading altogether tended to use swag that didn't cost much. And once they did, they realized that they were just as happy, even though it doesn't make people like you happy.

In answer to those people concerned about hygiene: The sadines were in tins, and the toothbrushes in their original blister packs. (Gee!) The thrust of my argument was that many caches seem to have such junk in them, that even kids would be disappointed. This is supposed to be 'treasure hunt'.. Now, I don't want to start a flame war but we've been leaving $1 instant lottery tickets. I know some of you will worry about the effect of gambling on the kiddies, but the tickets are intended for adults (without kids) and think of the buzz if somebody actually won a major prize.

My memory of the quality of the swaps (back in 2001) may be rosy, but I hope not. I like to think that GeoCachers (cool people as they are) have got enough initiative to take what I'm saying here and either leave it, or act on it.

I think the lottery tickets are a good, and viable, swap— although I usually don't take anything. But if some of you would also start leaving tickets, I would!