Life Membership

Lone Star Drifter

I recently got back into geocaching and renewed my Premium membership. What is the chances of setting up a way for dedicated geocachers to have the option of purchasing a Life Membership at say $360? I mean thats the equivelent of 12 years of support. You could do it after a cacher had found say 1,000 caches and then that option would be offered to him or her. Just a suggestion. What do you think?

Not possible, but it has been discussed before.

Just set up an automatically renewing membership.

If you change your mind in five years, you won't be out the extra $$$.

How is it not possible? Another website I use has a "100 Year" membership. It's the cost of ~8 years or so.

I'm sure there would need to be a small legal disclaimer, it wouldn't be the first site to shut down after collecting lifetime memberships.

How is it not possible? Another website I use has a "100 Year" membership. It's the cost of ~8 years or so.

I'm sure there would need to be a small legal disclaimer, it wouldn't be the first site to shut down after collecting lifetime memberships.

What they meant to say is it's not possible here. On a different website/organization run by different management, it certainly is possible. However, I am a life member of two different organizations. One managed their cash situation better than the other. No problem with the first one. The one that mismanaged our funds, then came back and asked for voluntary concessions to help save them some money. I told them I don't really need a mailed magazine right now. I can change my mind at any point. So a "not possible" paralysis isn't always a bad thing if you are not good at predicting years into the future. Groundspeak has a bad record of predicting what can happen next quarter.

Poor choice of words...

I should have said 'That option is not currently available for your Geocaching membership.'

Poor choice of words...

I should have said 'That option is not currently available for your Geocaching membership.'

If it were available I wonder how long it would be before we discovered that "life" got mangled by a software "update" such that it really meant something like 2 years and 7 months. But not to worry, you'd be free to buy another one.

If it were available I wonder how long it would be before we discovered that "life" got mangled by a software "update" such that it really meant something like 2 years and 7 months. But not to worry, you'd be free to buy another one.

I am not sure if I would believe that that such a membership would really last for my life or that my interest in this game would last that long. But either way, I do not trust Groundspeak enough to make this a practical option.