GPX version 1.0.1

ForestnFrances

I'm preparing to install a 3rd party stats mapping app and don't know if I need GPX version 1.0.1 or not. If I do then how do I download it?

Thanks,

F&F

Go to your account details page, and in the lower left hand corner is "Your Preferences".

That is where you can select the GPX version you want.

I'm preparing to install a 3rd party stats mapping app and don't know if I need GPX version 1.0.1 or not. If I do then how do I download it?

Thanks,

F&F

Go to your account details page, and in the lower left hand corner is "Your Preferences".

That is where you can select the GPX version you want.

why do I want it? What does this version have that 1.0 doesn't? Thanks for your response

Thanks MARKWELL, for all the interesting information, but I couldn't find answers to my questions.

Do you know what the differences are in GPX 1.0 and 1.0.1?

ForestnFrances

Markwell's post was answering your question. The only difference between 1.0 and 1.0.1 is that 1.0.1 contains the cache listing's attributes. If the stats program you're using doesn't do anything with attributes, then either version would work. Keep in mind, however, that some GPS devices can't handle 1.0.1, which is why you have the option of using 1.0.

Thanks MARKWELL, for all the interesting information, but I couldn't find answers to my questions.

Do you know what the differences are in GPX 1.0 and 1.0.1?

ForestnFrances

Markwell's post was answering your question. The only difference between 1.0 and 1.0.1 is that 1.0.1 contains the cache listing's attributes. If the stats program you're using doesn't do anything with attributes, then either version would work. Keep in mind, however, that some GPS devices can't handle 1.0.1, which is why you have the option of using 1.0.

Each cache in the GPX version 1.0.1 MAY have a section like this:

<Groundspeak:attribute id="1" inc="0">Dogs</Groundspeak:attribute>
       <Groundspeak:attribute id="7" inc="1">Takes less than an hour</Groundspeak:attribute>
     </Groundspeak:attributes>

It's a list of the attributes for the cache. The one I just showed above would be there dogs are not allowed and the cache takes less than an hour. On the cache page it would look like this:

dogs-no.gifonehour-yes.gif

In version 1.0, these XML components are not included.

As stated, some units can't handle the attribute portion of the GPX, so the 1.0 version is still available. But more current versions of GSAK can handle importing the attributes as part of the cache data and thus filter the caches.

How do I use them in GSAK? If I want to go hiking with my pooch, I can exclude the caches where attribute "Dogs Allowed" is set to "No" - which would be "iffy" as some people don't include that, or I could specifically only include caches where the "Dogs Allowed" attribute is set to "Yes", meaning the cache owner specifically says that dogs are allowed. For those examples, 29% of the caches in my local area have the "Dogs Allowed - Yes". Only 1% of the caches use the "Dogs Allowed - No". Thatas means that 70% of the caches are "unknown" as far as dogs.