Missing geocoin

BeorntheViking

Hello!

I placed a geocoin in my very first cache, yeah figured I would jump right in, and I registered it, gave it a goal and all that.

It seems to have gone missing (someone took it and forgot to log it, lost it, or worse)...what I am curious about is this.

How long would you wait before you take the coin out of that cache inventory so it is not listed there falsely? Can I even do that or does the CO have to remove it?

Just don't want someone going there looking for the coin there and not finding it there.

I placed it on 04/07/2013

Thank you!!

Hello!

I placed a geocoin in my very first cache, yeah figured I would jump right in, and I registered it, gave it a goal and all that.

It seems to have gone missing (someone took it and forgot to log it, lost it, or worse)...what I am curious about is this.

How long would you wait before you take the coin out of that cache inventory so it is not listed there falsely? Can I even do that or does the CO have to remove it?

Just don't want someone going there looking for the coin there and not finding it there.

I placed it on 04/07/2013

Thank you!!

You can probably bet the coin is gone for good, but even if you mark it 'missing' it does not prevent someone from grabbing it if by chance it does turn up again. You, as the coin owner can mark it 'missing' or the cache owner and you can even just 'grab' it back since you have the tracking code and make a proxy or copy coin to send out if you want.

Also, there is always a possibility that the next finder of the cache picked up your coin but forgot to log it or forgot they picked it up. You might try shooting off an email to those that located this cache right after you placed your coin to see if they might have your coin, or if they even saw it in the cache.

Also, there is always a possibility that the next finder of the cache picked up your coin but forgot to log it or forgot they picked it up. You might try shooting off an email to those that located this cache right after you placed your coin to see if they might have your coin, or if they even saw it in the cache.

I guess I will mark it missing then soon.

I did actually write the next person who logged a find on the cache but never heard back from them. I just wrote "Hello! I am curious if you saw the geocoin in the cache when you found it"

How long has it been since the email? maybe give it a few weeks see if it turns up and then try sending another email out but get overly English about it.

Apologise for bothering them and then just say you were wondering if they happened to have spotted it there.

I always find that people seem to react better to that kind of email they don't get their back up about it.

personally though i have had something like that where a cache that one of my trackables was in was found a few times but no one picked up the bug so i thought it was gone but then suddenly someone picked it up. (or had but forgot to log it... i can't remember exactly)

But obviously it is a coin. people can't seem to let them go and they go missing a lot more often then bugs so it may just have gone. :( which if thats the case then i am sorry for that as it's horrible. my first bug got melted in the first cache i placed it in. :(

How long has it been since the email? maybe give it a few weeks see if it turns up and then try sending another email out but get overly English about it.

Apologise for bothering them and then just say you were wondering if they happened to have spotted it there.

I always find that people seem to react better to that kind of email they don't get their back up about it.

personally though i have had something like that where a cache that one of my trackables was in was found a few times but no one picked up the bug so i thought it was gone but then suddenly someone picked it up. (or had but forgot to log it... i can't remember exactly)

But obviously it is a coin. people can't seem to let them go and they go missing a lot more often then bugs so it may just have gone. :( which if thats the case then i am sorry for that as it's horrible. my first bug got melted in the first cache i placed it in. :(

Oh I am not upset about losing it. I know that anything I put in a cache, be it coin or TB, has a good chance of getting lost. I just was more wondering the length of time I should wait for setting it as missing so noone goes to the cache specifically to move a coin along. :)

Sometimes cachers are on vacation for a week or two and will log the trackables when they get home and have internet and time to log them all. Give it a few weeks and see. Once I emailed a cacher to see if he still had one of mine as he mentioned in the log that he took it. He said he was on a 14 day road trip and very busy but would get to it later. In fact he wrote me a 1000 word essay on how much he was doing and how busy he was. (Hmmmmm!) I am still waiting 6 months later?!?!?!??!??!??!?! Most honest cachers will log it in time. I have even forgot a trackable or two over the years as they get tossed in the console or backback instead of in with the others on the trip. I try not to make that a habit! Out of 200 or so I have released out in the wild, I still have about 50 active. AND every once in awhile one will show up in a log. (even after a year has gone by) sometimes when I contact a cacher to see if they still have it I find out they got divorced and he says she took it! LOL so contact her!

good luck and be patient and pray!

Oh I am not upset about losing it. I know that anything I put in a cache, be it coin or TB, has a good chance of getting lost. I just was more wondering the length of time I should wait for setting it as missing so noone goes to the cache specifically to move a coin along. :)

I've just looked at the cache in question. it appears that most cachers are new cachers finding it. :( I'd mark it missing now, it can always be grabbed from and started off again.