Geocaches in state parks

cityfeet

I just scored my first find this past weekend and would like to look into hiding some of my own. Obviously I wouldn't want to place it on private property but are there any issues with leaving one in a state park? Do rangers see this as a no no?

I just scored my first find this past weekend and would like to look into hiding some of my own. Obviously I wouldn't want to place it on private property but are there any issues with leaving one in a state park? Do rangers see this as a no no?

Depends on your state. Many do have restrictions, some more severe than others. You need to contact the park that you want to place it in.

A quick visit to the South Carolina State Parks web site found a tab labeled Geocaching. The park system supports geocaching but has this on the page: "If you would like to place geocache trackables (sic) in a park, please contact the park directly before doing so."

When you approach the appropriate person, you will need to at least sound like you know what you are doing. With only one find, I doubt you are prepared to discuss geocaching knowledgeably. Do you know the rules about cache placement? What types of caches stand up best to weather and constant visits by cachers? What should be in a cache? What is YOUR commitment and duties are when you place a cache?

You enthusiasm is great, and I think it's neat that your family enjoyed the experience with you. Please take the time to learn a lot more about caching by reading and most important, finding more caches. By doing so you will better understand the game/hobby and will better understand how interested you are in continuing with it.

Thanks for asking instead of blindly placing a cache in the park. I hope you really enjoy the hunts, the finds and the frustrations that are all part of the game. It is a great family activity. HAVE FUN!

This is from the New Mexico State Parks Rules:

19.5.2.23 LETTER BOXING AND GEOCACHING: Visitors shall not conduct letter boxing or geocaching activities in parks without the superintendent’s written permission

I don't think they really mean that written permission is required for all geocaching activities, i.e. finding as well as hiidng. But I have to admit that I've been in violation of the letter of the law here. More than once.

19.5.2.23 LETTER BOXING AND GEOCACHING: Visitors shall not conduct letter boxing or geocaching activities in parks without the superintendent’s written permission

I don't think they really mean that written permission is required for all geocaching activities, i.e. finding as well as hiidng. But I have to admit that I've been in violation of the letter of the law here. More than once.

While NM is interesting, I cited the South Carolina page because OP's one find is in SC.

While NM is interesting, I cited the South Carolina page because OP's one find is in SC.

I get that, but the question in the OP was not phrased to be state-specific. In Colorado, each State Park makes its own regulations.

It would not be efficient to have a discussion thread about state park policies in all 50 states, when that information is already collected in the land management policy wiki. From the South Carolina Wiki Page:

South Carolina State Parks are geocaching friendly, although there are some sensitive locations that must be avoided. A one-year, extendable, free Special Use Permit is required prior to the placement of a geocache in a SCPRT property. The exact location of a cache must be pre-approved by park management and caches must be located at least 1/4 mile from other caches. See the respective Park Manager for details and application.

The wiki also includes convenient links to the Park system's policy and application form.

It would not be efficient to have a discussion thread about state park policies in all 50 states, when that information is already collected in the land management policy wiki.

I see that the Alaska wiki page is way out of date, has wrong permit numbers, and is missing a ton of land manager info. Who do we contact about getting that page updated?

It would not be efficient to have a discussion thread about state park policies in all 50 states, when that information is already collected in the land management policy wiki. From the South Carolina Wiki Page:

South Carolina State Parks are geocaching friendly, although there are some sensitive locations that must be avoided. A one-year, extendable, free Special Use Permit is required prior to the placement of a geocache in a SCPRT property. The exact location of a cache must be pre-approved by park management and caches must be located at least 1/4 mile from other caches. See the respective Park Manager for details and application.

The wiki also includes convenient links to the Park system's policy and application form.

Like so many things with the Groundspeak web sites, this is well hidden, if not even near secret. Also it appears that GS is not following the spirit of "wiki" sites by allowing readers of the site to update the pages and have moderates review the changes. I see that an "outsider" cannot even click on the wiki moderator name to send an email. Wiki indeed.

Too bad the link was not provided as a timely response to OP when the question was first posed.