[FEATURE] iPhone App Navigate to Geocache Options

RocketMan

iOS 6 has some nice autorouting capability built in via the Apple maps and now also via the newest Google Maps app but there is way to access either app from the geocaching.com app to route to a cache. Please add an option to autoroute to the geocache using the map apps. Here is how it works on an app called iExit:

Menu

11aed703-92cb-4598-bf8c-511730e1b701.jpg

What comes up when selecting Google Map App

43b72102-4cae-453f-bf29-7ebfc7c2a752.jpg.

What comes up when selecting Apple Map App

272cc36e-39c4-4c18-8369-8b1f818f5e63.jpg?rnd=0.08134103

It's a GREAT idea.

I doubt it'll ever happen. In order for Groundspeak to have access (and/or permissions) to use APPLE maps - there has to be some sort of deal/contract/or monetary payoff to get that feature. $$$$

It's not just a matter of programming the APP, it would have to be a 'Business Entity' (so to speak). Apple is very very proprietary.

And lets not forget about the Android market. They would want their choices (which wouldn't include Apple maps) but would include their own mapping system (?? which I'm not familiar with). The point being....more business entities.

It's a GREAT idea.

I doubt it'll ever happen. In order for Groundspeak to have access (and/or permissions) to use APPLE maps - there has to be some sort of deal/contract/or monetary payoff to get that feature. $$$$

It's not just a matter of programming the APP, it would have to be a 'Business Entity' (so to speak). Apple is very very proprietary.

And lets not forget about the Android market. They would want their choices (which wouldn't include Apple maps) but would include their own mapping system (?? which I'm not familiar with). The point being....more business entities.

GeoBucket for iPhone already does this. The coordinates are pushed to the native Apple maps app without any problems. There is no reason the official Geocaching App can't do this.

It's a GREAT idea.

I doubt it'll ever happen. In order for Groundspeak to have access (and/or permissions) to use APPLE maps - there has to be some sort of deal/contract/or monetary payoff to get that feature. $

I think that if the Geocaching app passed the coordinates to another app like Google Maps or the Apple Maps app, there would be no cost involved but I am certainly not an expert on the subject. It just seems that other apps are able to do it without any problem such as the one Uncopyrighted mentioned so the GC app should be able to do it too.

GeoBucket for iPhone already does this. The coordinates are pushed to the native Apple maps app without any problems. There is no reason the official Geocaching App can't do this.

As does Geosphere, which interfaces nicely with apple maps, google, Navigon, and other mapping programs. The Groundspeak app certainly could do the same.

I did notice something tonight that is a step in the right direction. It probably has to do with the recent Google Maps app update that I did, not tonights GC app update. When I choose "View on External Map" from the GC app which is buried in a menu now, it brought up the web based Google map like before, but this time, there was a button at the top of the webpage that said something like "Always Open in Google Map Application". After clicking on that button, now when I choose View on External map from the GC app, it goes to the web page and then immediately redirects to the Google Map App where I can do autorouting etc! It's not ideal but it works.

GeoBucket & Geospheres is a completely different entity. Sure....Groundspeak could do it. But again - there are legal issues that need to be addressed with APPLE before they can do it. Groundspeak can't just use Apple maps without their consent/permssion/contract.

I did notice something tonight that is a step in the right direction. It probably has to do with the recent Google Maps app update that I did, not tonights GC app update. When I choose "View on External Map" from the GC app which is buried in a menu now, it brought up the web based Google map like before, but this time, there was a button at the top of the webpage that said something like "Always Open in Google Map Application". After clicking on that button, now when I choose View on External map from the GC app, it goes to the web page and then immediately redirects to the Google Map App where I can do autorouting etc! It's not ideal but it works.

That is pretty much the way that the other programs work. Although Geosphere gives more options they all work much the same way: feed the coordinates to an external mapping program and route from there.

Groundspeak can't just use Apple maps without their consent/permssion/contract.

I don't see where any issues like this could come into play. The app would be running on iOS. Apple maps are built-in to iOS (since iOS 6). Therefore, the maps are already available.

In fact, I just checked and I'd completely forgotten that the app has already been using the built-in Apple maps for a few versions now. All the OP is asking for is an expansion of what's already in the app.

It may still have more to do with Apple than Groundspeak. I am far from understanding what Apple allows developers but they explain specific ways that their maps can be integrated into apps:

"You can display standard street-level map information, satellite imagery, or a combination of the two. You can zoom and pan the map programmatically, and the framework provides automatic support for the touch events that let users zoom and pan the map. You can also annotate the map with custom information."

I suspect that to go beyond this - without developing a separate routing application - you may need to interface with such an application, as many caching apps do. It would be interesting if someone experienced with working with Apple could provide information on what is allowed. I am always curious about the way they lock down the system.

Edited by geodarts

Integrating Google or Apple maps into the GC app is not what this request is about. I was simply asking for the GC app to pass the coordinates over to the Google or Apple maps apps so that the routing can be done from there. Many other apps are able to do this so it's probably not a big deal. I could be wrong but I doubt that it requires any kind of license since the iPhone is using the map app to do the routing etc.