Nuvi for caching

I use a Nuvi 500 to get me where I need to start caching. From there I use my Oregon 450T to navigate to the cache. I just drop my PQ in each unit and that works great for me.

The Nuvi 500 has a small sreen and I would like to geta Nuvi with larger one. As far as I know Garmin has never made one with a larger screen. I just need one I can load a PQ in and have all the info. If you own a Nuvi 500 you know what I mean. Anyone know if one exist? Thanks

My Nuvi is a 255W - the W for wide screen, and is about the size of a smartphone. I can only load coords manually, and switch to pedestrian mode. As it isn't waterproof, or very rugged, I use my GPS. Small screen and powerful readers save the day for me, and I can read the info.

Garmin didn't make a direct successor to the Nuvi 500. You can get a Montana, but that's expensive and only 4" wide. You can use custom POI with any Nuvi, though that is a bit more work. The Nuvi 2757 has a 7" (!) screen. I use a Nuvi 2460 (5" screen) with my Oregon 450.

Edited by Chrysalides

There are plenty of Nuvi models available .... and I'm pretty certain, you can load every model with geocaches. It's a matter of how you load them and whether they show up as POI's or Favorites.

We have a 2450LM and load it with 5,000 geocaches as POI's.

Edited by Lieblweb

I have a 500 but I think my 780 may be a little bigger and has a more driver-friendly screen ( no topo )....I always drive with the 780 and it will show up to 500 caches with cache info without doing the poi work around.

What you describe is a great way to cache but there are better Nuvi's for driving than the 500.

I have a 500 but I think my 780 may be a little bigger and has a more driver-friendly screen ( no topo )....I always drive with the 780 and it will show up to 500 caches with cache info without doing the poi work around.

What you describe is a great way to cache but there are better Nuvi's for driving than the 500.

How are you getting around the poi? I just want to dropo a PQ.

Well, I don't have a Nuvi500, but I use a combination of a Nuvi1350 and an Oregon550. I have geocached just with the Nuvi as I am quite comfortable using lat/long, meaning I don't use the compass of the O550 very often.

On the Nuvi, using GSAK, I load geocaches as waypoints (so they show up on the map) and then process the same geocaches as TourGuides and load them as well for complete info.

Image 1 & 2 are the waypoint files, they display only basic info.

n1.jpg

n2.jpg

The next 5 images show the same waypoint as a TourGuide geocache with complete information (same info as displayed on my O550)

n3.jpg

n4.jpg

n5.jpg

n6.jpg

n7.jpg