Stumbled across more that a cache!

Guest HomeChicken

Guest HomeChicken

I was 50 feet from a cache and went off the trail to go where the pointer pointed where the cache should be according to my eTrex legend. WOW there was an abandoned bike with a broken headlight and a duffle bag next to it. I had my wife and my 3 yr old son with me as I wondered what I should tell her what I found off the trail where they were waiting for me. ? So I stood next to her with a stumped look on my face and told her what I saw , and she was just as freaked out as I was and proceeded back there with me for the fear of curiosity of what the heck was that bike doing back there so close to the hiding area.? Being bold I looked closely at the bike and then the duffle bag ....wife said in the back ground "what are you doing ..stop that and report it...now you have your finger prints on it and there might be a dead person in that bag!!!" not being that doom and gloom kinda guy I zipped it back up after seeing it had a bunch of clothes and trinkets in it. My wife turned around and seen the cache and pointed it out to me about 20 feet from the bike. I gabbed it and took it off onto the trail to read and examined it ...they the guy showed up and mumbled how something about his "bike". I looked for a stick to protect my self since my wife freaked me out and watched him as he came out and told me how he's been looking for the bike since last night and thank you for finding for him...YEAH RIGHT!

well I put back the cache since it was a multiple cache and proceed to the next one..

wasn't really freaky but I will always remember that weird situation.

eTrexLegendthumb.jpg

Guest prv8eye

<<...they the guy showed up and mumbled how something about his "bike". I looked for a stick to protect my self since my wife freaked me out and watched him as he came out and told me how he's been looking for the bike since last night and thank you for finding for him...YEAH RIGHT!>>

Lot's of homeless men use bikes to get around. That's something you're bound to stumble across a lot, while in wooded areas, in my part of the USA. That's where most of them sleep.

Guest fractal

, and here comes this crazy guy from the bushes, sticks and twigs in his hair, GPS in one hand, stick in the other. The image probably ruined the mood.

Sounds like I hid the thing in a good spot!

-fractal

My first time posting to this forum. Just wanted to say that I have found some weird stuff while hiking. Once came across a couple ahh completely engrossed into another activity than hiking if you know what I mean. Funny thing is at first I thought some animal was hurt.

The strangest thing was a skeleton. The guy was missing for about 8 months or so and I found him inside a cave. I hid my first cache there, it is called "Dead Man's Cave" located in PA. I love this sport, have found only 39 but still trek on.

Peace and Have Fun!!!!

E=Mc2

I have been researching and exploring the nearest state park to my home for a cool cache placement in an abandonded mining town. This past Sunday we were hiking the trails trying to find the spot we had in our imaginations to hide this cache... never found it but just building on the trail knowledgebase in our eyes.

On the way home we were slowed down by emergency crews at the side of the road... the next day I learned that a hiking family had found the hiker that disappeared 4 weeks earlier...fallen in a mine shaft after insomniac night hiking. Night hikers beware!

The whole thing gave me the creeps enough that I'm not thinking about planting there too soon in the near future.. and I believe the rangers there could use a break from introducing new exploring type activities for the time being... maybe we'll go look for a spot on the lake ridge and leave the mines alone for the moment. Not totally sure what we're going to do yet.