Geowoodstock XII is in...

St. Charles is an interesting place but our daughter just graduated from a St. Louis university and I don't suppose that returning there is in the works. Still, if you go, take time to visit the City Museum for a totally unique experience; head out to the confluence of the rivers for some earthcaches; and if you happen to be nearby and have time to wait, the Shaved Duck was a nice place to eat.

Is there public transportation to the location from the St Louis Airport?

If not, certainly something to suggest they have. Probably expensive to hire a shuttle service, but maybe some volunteers and a minor fee (to cover fuel costs)

I don't know if there is a direct train, but the light rail train runs from St. Louis airport to downtown (about 20 minute ride). If I recall, it cost just under $3 one way. Unfortunately, the airport is in between St. Charles and Downtown St. Louis and the line ends at he airport. Apparently the airport is 9 miles from central St. Charles, certainly within cab distance without getting too expensive. The ground transportation page for the Lambert-St. Louis airport has other options.

I'm working out my caching plans for Geowoodstock. So for, it seems I can have a very busy caching day by finding/attending at least one of each of these: regular Event, CITO, MEGA, Traditional, Multi, Earthcache, Virtual, Unknown, Wherigo, Letterbox Hybrid, Lab Cache (if there are any planned, I presume there will be some), and maybe a Webcam. That could be twelve different cache types/icons in one day.

Will there be Lab caches at Geowoodstock? - I have not seen anything verifying this.

Will the only webcam within 200 miles be working this weekend? Will it be archived due to the CO stating that people can log with a 'selfie' by the fountain, instead of the webcam photo?

Will there be Lab caches at Geowoodstock? - I have not seen anything verifying this.

There will be Lab caches to find.

Will they be either fully counting or fully not counting for this of us that are a bit more selective of our stats?

Will they be either fully counting or fully not counting for this of us that are a bit more selective of our stats?

Um, if I were to guess, I'd say they count like any other Lab caches up to this point, I guess? I wish I could answer past that. :unsure:

Um, if I were to guess, I'd say they count like any other Lab caches up to this point, I guess? I wish I could answer past that. :unsure:

I am very into stats and I refuse to find any lab caches till they go either way, I could live with either but not the way they are now.

I am very into stats and I refuse to find any lab caches till they go either way, I could live with either but not the way they are now.

I see you use FindStatGen. I do as well. You can enter Lab cache into GSAK so that FSG outputs your correct numbers. That is what I have done, and my counts are correct.

I see you use FindStatGen. I do as well. You can enter Lab cache into GSAK so that FSG outputs your correct numbers. That is what I have done, and my counts are correct.

I don't like that option, either they are caches or they are not but as long as they are somewhere in between I will ignore them.

I don't like that option, either they are caches or they are not but as long as they are somewhere in between I will ignore them.

Well, suit yourself. They are a lot of fun, though, and I know our people have some really neat ones for event attendees to have a go at. :)

The webcam cache should still be there to visitors to find.

In what ways? Selfie or webcam method?

All I know is, the issue is being worked on as I speak.

Is the webcam working yet? It wasn't earlier today. According to the NA log on that page, it hasn't been working for 6 months. :huh:

Is the webcam working yet? It wasn't earlier today. According to the NA log on that page, it hasn't been working for 6 months. :huh:

It will get archived after woodstock when 1000's of cachers log it with a selfie picture. What make it worse is the CO is asking you to do it.

It will get archived after woodstock when 1000's of cachers log it with a selfie picture. What make it worse is the CO is asking you to do it.

It should be archived now. No reason for that many selfies to be posted anywhere. Any other cache where the CO says to log it in a manner which goes against the guidelines would be archived in a hurry. They should lock it, too. That CO should be ashamed of encouraging/allowing selfies as a way of logging the webcam.

It should be archived now. No reason for that many selfies to be posted anywhere. Any other cache where the CO says to log it in a manner which goes against the guidelines would be archived in a hurry. They should lock it, too. That CO should be ashamed of encouraging/allowing selfies as a way of logging the webcam.

Oh no... we need to save the webcam caches!!! :ph34r:

I disagree with K13 and others of like mind. The CO of a webcam has no control over down time or maintenance time for the webcam. I think it entirely appropriate for the alternate logging method to be allowed. After all, if a cacher hikes 5 miles only to find a mush log or a destroyed cache or a confirmed missing cache, the CO can give permission to log a find even though a log could not be signed. Of course, the cacher can elect not to log a find (that is what I do in those circumstances) but logging the find would be acceptable. In principle, an alternate logging method for a webcam that is down for maintenance would be no different.

Unfortunately, the webcam has been archived. Also unfortunate is the fact that a PQ for webcams did not list an active webcam within 100 miles of GW XII.

I have suggested on more than a couple of occasions that Groundspeak should create an exception which would allow a mega event cache owner to create a temporary web cam cache for the duration of the event (it would be sort of be like a lab cache). It would be a good way to capture photos of attendees (and even used as an attendance log) and would give attendees the opportunity to add this increasingly rare icon to their profile.

I disagree with K13 and others of like mind. The CO of a webcam has no control over down time or maintenance time for the webcam. I think it entirely appropriate for the alternate logging method to be allowed. After all, if a cacher hikes 5 miles only to find a mush log or a destroyed cache or a confirmed missing cache, the CO can give permission to log a find even though a log could not be signed. Of course, the cacher can elect not to log a find (that is what I do in those circumstances) but logging the find would be acceptable. In principle, an alternate logging method for a webcam that is down for maintenance would be no different.

I disagree. A web cam cache is all about the logging method. Using an alternative logging method by taking a selfie essentially turns a web cam cache into a virtual cache where a web cam has been placed. A few years ago I tried to do a webcam cache at the University of Arizona (about 2000 miles from where I live) because I was in a two day meeting in the same building where the webcam was located. Unfortunately the webcam wasn't working so I posted a DNF (it would have been my first webcam "find"). Ironically, someone logged it (using a webcam photo) the next morning but I had to get to the airport for my flight home so didn't get a chance to log it while it was up. That's just the way it goes.

The problem with alternative logging methods is that while it's nice for a cache "seeker" when the CO allows them, it just leads to a lot of drama when a seeker *expects* to be able to use an alternative logging method.

Unfortunately, the webcam has been archived. Also unfortunate is the fact that a PQ for webcams did not list an active webcam within 100 miles of GW XII.

I have suggested on more than a couple of occasions that Groundspeak should create an exception which would allow a mega event cache owner to create a temporary web cam cache for the duration of the event (it would be sort of be like a lab cache). It would be a good way to capture photos of attendees (and even used as an attendance log) and would give attendees the opportunity to add this increasingly rare icon to their profile.

Maybe have a lab APE cache, too, to give attendees an opportunity for an even more rare icon.

Sorry, but I'm not with you on the GWS webcam cache idea.

Maybe have a lab APE cache, too, to give attendees an opportunity for an even more rare icon.

Sorry, but I'm not with you on the GWS webcam cache idea.

Fair enough. Why not?

I think that it might be fine if the webcam were down *very* temporarily.

But, just like caches, if it becomes permanently "missing" (the webcam is never going to be fixed), then it is just like a missing cache that has become, essentially, a virtual. At that point, it needs to be archived because it ceases to be a viable cache.