Has anyone ever happened upon their worst nightmare?

We were out not to long ago trying to find a micro cache "Bear Hug" and something really sick came to mind. There was a really large roll of visqueen out there and we kept walking over it trying to find the micro and we thought, what if there was a body rolled up in it. It was big enough for that.

I also keep worrying about running into snakes. I can't stand snakes and every time I hear a squirrel rummaging around in the leaves, I think it is a snake. I don't know what I would do.

What protection does anyone carry for freak instances?

"Nice find! I must go tell Harry, Ron and Hermione."

That is too funny. I am sure there were just bums living out at "Bear Hug" but it sure was wierd seeing that visqueen. There was another one in Tulsa that I went out on and halfway down the path, I got that really sick gut feeling and turned around and came back. Something was restling around in the leaves that shouldn't have. I have no clue what it was because I was too busy booking it back to the truck. I let my husband end up going after that cache.

I don't know if it is because I am female or what, but when I end up going out into the woods on the long walk caches, I am always looking over my shoulder just to be on the safe side. It is sad that people have to be so paranoid this day and age. But, I guess it has always been that way.

"Nice find! I must go tell Harry, Ron and Hermione."

I had a horrible experience over the weekend. I tried to find a new cache that was located in a swamp. The mesquitos were horrible. Couldn't find the cache. Cirled around and around. It was getting dark so I figured I had better get out of there. I went in the direction I thought I needed to go, but it was the wrong direction. There weren't any paths at this little park. I ended up coming out of the woods behind someone's shed. Between me and this shed were the carcases of about 6 to 8 dogs. They looked like huskies or german shepards. They were bigger dogs. There was also a dog kennel connected to the shed. I briefly thought about walking around to the front of these people's house to get to my car which I figured was down the road. Then I thought that they might still have a dog or two, that might attack me, so I started walking back into the woods. About this time, a dog starts barking and I started running. I don't think the dog followed me into the woods. When I got far enough in, I followed my gps back to the cache site and then followed my tracks back out. When I finally got back to my car, I drove farther down the road to check out the dead dogs house. There were little kids toys in the driveway and it looked like a newer house. That was scary. I'm going to waypoint my car from now on!!

quote:
Originally posted by Commando:

I had a horrible experience over the weekend. I tried to find a new cache that was located in a swamp. The mesquitos were horrible. Couldn't find the cache. Cirled around and around. It was getting dark so I figured I had better get out of there. I went in the direction I thought I needed to go, but it was the wrong direction. There weren't any paths at this little park. I ended up coming out of the woods behind someone's shed. Between me and this shed were the carcases of about 6 to 8 dogs. They looked like huskies or german shepards. They were bigger dogs. There was also a dog kennel connected to the shed. I briefly thought about walking around to the front of these people's house to get to my car which I figured was down the road. Then I thought that they might still have a dog or two, that might attack me, so I started walking back into the woods. About this time, a dog starts barking and I started running. I don't think the dog followed me into the woods. When I got far enough in, I followed my gps back to the cache site and then followed my tracks back out. When I finally got back to my car, I drove farther down the road to check out the dead dogs house. There were little kids toys in the driveway and it looked like a newer house. That was scary. I'm going to waypoint my car from now on!!

Geeze... that is horrid. I hope you notified either the police or at least the SPCA about the dogs. And yes, always waypoint your car!

-Dan

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

I haven't run into anyone yet, but my vivid imagination tells me that there are serial killers and rapists lurking in the woods. I carry pepper spray and a big stick. icon_eek.gif

I get especially nervous when I pull into a parking area and there are people just sitting in their cars for no apparent reason.

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. --Galadriel, "The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship Of the Ring"

quote:
Originally posted by Zoraima:

I get especially nervous when I pull into a parking area and there are people just sitting in their cars for no apparent reason.

Such as... oh, I don't know, entering coordinates into a GPSr, or reading a cache printout before setting out, or decrypting the clue, or....

Not to make light of your nervousness, or the concern behind it, but now I have to wonder if *I've* ever been the cause for that kind of nervousness in others when I've been out caching.

quote:

Wow! That's wierd! That would scare teh heck out of me. Hope the police were contacted.

However, running is the worst thing you can do...it can excite the dog into a predatory attack. Fortunately, I guess teh dog that was barking didn't see you. I was almost attacked by a german shepard that was not under control of it's owner in a woody park. It took the owner 10 minutes to get the dog to calm down and under control. I just stood my ground the whole time...trying to talk to it.

Anyway, I always waypoint the parking area and routinely take wps if going off trail. It's incredibly easy to get turned around even for a longtime hiker like me.

Hi Cottingham:

Not that I closely examine what people are doing in their cars, but there are some places you pull into and people are just sitting there, staring at the woods ahead of them. Not looking at anything or reading or doing anything... Makes me wonder what they're doing there... As I say, I have a vivid imagination... In my mind, they're waiting to follow someone into the woods and...well... I'll stop there... icon_rolleyes.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. --Galadriel, "The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship Of the Ring"

quote:
Originally posted by Zoraima:

Hi Cottingham:

Not that I closely examine what people are doing in their cars, but there are some places you pull into and people are just sitting there, staring at the woods ahead of them. Not looking at anything or reading or doing anything... Makes me wonder what they're doing there... As I say, I have a vivid imagination... In my mind, they're waiting to follow someone into the woods and...well... I'll stop there... icon_rolleyes.gif

Sounds like you've found a "Pickle Park" to me... one micro I was looking for had two men sitting in a car. Looked back a few minutes later and I could only see one. icon_eek.gif

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kender:

quote:

Geeze... that is horrid. I hope you notified either the police or at least the SPCA about the dogs. And yes, always waypoint your car!

-Dan

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

I agree. If a family has THAT many dead dogs, something's up. Their either abusing the dogs, or disease is killing them. Either way, it needs to be looked into.

Lets see: Rattlesnakes-have seen too many to remember the count, and have almost made my next step their meal many a time. Picketwire Canyon Cache here in Colorado-went into this canyon that has 1800 Spanish tombstones by the old adobe mission and it is a two mile hike in the heat and GIANT black flies that attack you. And after they bit you their stingers fall out a week later and you get to itch all over again. As for wackos in the woods I carry my Ruger P93DC in my shoulder holster. icon_biggrin.gif

I'll be watching for you from within the trees, or a cave, or under a rock, or on top of a Butte, Mesa, or a Bluff. And car lockouts are high priced and merciful on the trailhead if I have my tools, lol.

I don't want to turn this into a gun thread.

I was all alone, walking through the woods trying to get to UMC'S FIRST CACHE, and this jogger came running up behind me. I didn't even hear him until he was close, and it made me jump a bit. Startled me so much that I had turned around and was pulling out my Glock 9mm before my feet even got back to the ground. He could have given me a warning shout of "Passing!" a ways back. He might get shot pulling that "see how much I can sneak up on him" routine. See how funny that is.

Seeing how the thread has been dredged back up I thought I'd share this pic taken yesterday of what I think is an Eastern Garter snake:

1742472_200.jpg

Mostly harmless but as we were approaching Lakeside Hollow my 5 year daughter practically stepped right on it ... no scream or anything ... she just calmly said "Look Daddy ... a snake" and kept on walking. Of course not an hour later we were walking through some brush and I walked into a spider web and the mere mention of a spider being nearby caused her to break down and refuse to step another foot forward. Go figure.

-=-=-=-=-=-

GPS_Brian

=-=-=-=-=-=

quote:
Originally posted by joefrog:

Sounds like you've found a "Pickle Park" to me... one micro I was looking for had two men sitting in a car. Looked back a few minutes later and I could only see one. icon_eek.gif

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

EEEEEWWWWW!!! That is just hideous...Probably true but hideous. Sign of the times. "Pickle Park" is a term I had not encountered...yeesh...

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

I don't want to turn this into a gun thread.

I was all alone, walking through the woods trying to get to UMC'S FIRST CACHE, and this jogger came running up behind me. I didn't even hear him until he was close, and it made me jump a bit. Startled me so much that I had turned around and was pulling out my Glock 9mm before my feet even got back to the ground. He could have given me a warning shout of "Passing!" a ways back. He might get shot pulling that "see how much I can sneak up on him" routine. See how funny that is.

This will probably turn this into a gun thread, but...

While I am moderately pro-gun, this is the kind of thing that scares me about people carrying pistols. It's easy to get creeped out in the woods, or even in strange urban situations. Being startled enough to pull a gun on someone might be too close to being startled enough to fire off a round for some people.

--

stream of did I lock the front door? consciousness

Geogryfinder we have actaually come across 2 snakes since we started 3 weeks ago. It doesn't bother me I used to have a snake as a pet but the kids think it's cool. My little sister almost stepped on one on the first cache I took her to.

"If you mess with a Porcupine you might just get the quills. LOL I just had to say that"

I almost steped on a 3 foot bull snake once. As you know those look a lot like rattlers... especially when they scare you.

I once came upon a woman sitting in the mud outside her car that told me she had been breathing carbon dioxide. I looked at her car and she had the hatch back proped open and the muffler was in the back seat. Thinking she was trying to kill herself I ran to call 911. They checked her out and decided she was just drunk icon_razz.gif... but my grandpa and uncle once found a man who had committed suicide in this fashion. I am afraid that someday I might walk upon something I don't really want to find.

Rattlesnakes... they are the things I fear while going for caches especially during the summer season.

RE: Guns

IMO, guns are a bad idea especially when you are alone. I have no problems about gun ownership, but if you plan to go out alone with a gun that sounds to me like a recipe for trouble.

You're better going geocaching in a group and if you must bring a gun, make SURE you are in a group. That way you are LESS likily to get spooked and accidentally kill somebody. Remember this is a HOBBY.

I've always believed a decent walking stick is better suited for hiking and geocaching.

----

Chivalry:

A couple of medieval songwriters come up with the idea of chivalry one rainy day... and you embrace it as a lifestyle. You live and die by a code of honor that was trendy when you were a kid.

This was just a bit before I started caching, but I was hiking in the parks here on some deer trails. As I followed them I came across an area of the park someone decided to live in. There was a chair, lazy boy style but a cheap knockoff, some frames with photos in them, frames were busted as was the cglass, and plenty of Xmas decorations, large plastic candy canes etc. This freaked me out greatly mainly because not a short distance away was a table/alter was a piece of Pine board on cement blocks and etched into the wood were praises/chants of evil nature with pentagrams. And after seeing the blaire witch project, I am always freaked out now in the Woods. I now carry a bamboo staff to smack someone upside the head with.

I bought a GPS. Now I get lost with style.

quote:
Originally posted by adampierson:

IMO, guns are a bad idea especially when you are alone. I have no problems about gun ownership, but if you plan to go out alone with a gun that sounds to me like a recipe for trouble.

You're better going geocaching in a group and if you must bring a gun, make SURE you are in a group. That way you are LESS likily to get spooked and accidentally kill somebody. Remember this is a HOBBY.

Cannnnnn't......help myself.....musssst...re ply...

Speaking as someone in the firearms field, (CHL instructor here) WTF are you talking about?

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to think it's lame and uninformed.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

quote:

Cannnnnn't......help myself.....musssst...re ply...

Speaking as someone in the firearms field, (CHL instructor here) WTF are you talking about?

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to think it's lame and uninformed.

http://www.texasgeocaching.com Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

Armed when you are with folks and unarmed while you are by yourself? A little backwards. I don't think that you should go around capping folks at random, (diff thread), but you have to protect yourself and your family.

Now onto the rest of the thread.

Worst fear...Rosie O'Donald naked, (with her ARMED guards).

When in doubt...hit it with a big hammer.

quote:
Originally posted by bitbrain:

I had this horrible nightmare where Chris was being chased by Rosie through the woods near the 4x4 Offroad Adventure. I won't go into details, but -shudder- it was a bad scene.

LOL, My knee still hurts from that day.

I'm with Snoogans. I never go into the woods unarmed. There are too many critters out there who aren't friendly (and I'm not just talking about the four legged or belly crawling kind). Remember, only you are responsible for your own self defense. Some of you sound like maybe you should get into another hobby. No flames intended, but how can you enjoy yourselves when you are so afraid all the time?

This happened to me, way before I got into geocaching.

My brother & I were deer hunting the national forest in east Texas (I think it was just outside of Palastine, Tx.), and came upon a car (it had been there a while, all of the paint was gone & it was very rusty) sitting in the middle of the woods. I'm not talking about light woods, very heavy woods. We both thought is was kinda cool, and with both of us having deer rifles, we approached the car. We tried to open the doors, but all of them were locked, and all of the windows were shut tight. Looking in the windows we could see the keys were left in the ignition. We were able to pull the hood open and the engine was gone. Finally he got the idea to shoot out one of the windows (we were standing behind a big tree when he shot, just in case the bullet ricocheted), got the keys out, opened the trunk and found that someone had been using the trunk to sleep in. There was a pillow, sheets & a blanket, but fortunatly no body. The pillow & sheets were still fairly white, and it looked like someone had spent the night there recently. Needless to say we took one good look around and high tailed it out of dodge !! icon_eek.gif

Don't know how the car got there, how long it had been there or what it was doing there with the keys in the ignition.

I have often though about going back and seeing if I could find that old car again.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

During one hunt I came across very large garbage bag in a remote location. It kinda freaked me out because the thought of a body being stashed there wasn't out of the realm of possibilities, but I poked it and it was just garbage. During the same hunt I came across what looked like hair sticking out of some tall grass. Once again, I check it out and it turned out to be a wig.

But, to answer the question, being a young woman who prefers to cache alone I go WELL protected. Thank God for the 2nd ammendment and the NRA! Plus, I always have a cell phone and a small survival kit, because you just never know!

Happy caching! Keep on stashin' and I'll keep on cachin'!

First thought… Gee! We all have SUCH vivid imaginations!! Do we watch too much TV? Or is the news always so bad?

Other thoughts… Guns. As far as I am concerned, they are just another tool, like a GPS. Its how we use them that decides what we are as individuals (OK – slight lecture, but…). If you ARE going to carry a gun, then I think its your civic responsibility to make sure you know how to use it. That means not just how to pull the trigger, but also how to make sure you don’t knock off some other innocent individual. Otherwise leave it at home and consider something else (below).

I go for the GEOcaching in a “group” idea as the number one choice. The more people around, the less likely that any nasties will try anything.

On that point, I don’t think the remote woods are full of said nasties in secluded places waiting for a potential victim to just happen by. Think about it. I know we are talking about weirdos, but do they really go and sit out for days at a remote location hoping for a victim to chance by?

I would say the majority of trouble in remote places is probably a combination of many factors, not the least of which is present opportunity. Hence the “group” philosophy. Even two people together will probably be enough to deter the casual opportunist.

A good, sturdy walking stick is also a nice companion. I have one of those little collapsible clubs in my car, but if you carry one of those around, you might run foul of local concealed weapons laws. No one considers a walking stick a concealed weapon, and its very presence can be a deterrent too.

It also comes in very handy for poking round in foliage first, where there might be a snake, or other crawly, taking his nap. Also, I find it most useful (I live in Florida) for sweeping in front of me in heavy brush to take out spider webs. I’m not skittish about critters and bugs, but I don’t like the thought of walking through a banana spider web and having him drop onto my shoulder. That one does get to my vivid imagination. Oh – and it IS a walking stick, so it helps on rougher trails for giving that little extra point of support and balance.

Lastly, GEOcaching is considered by many to be a family sport. If you have a decent sized dog, take him along for the outing. He will enjoy it thoroughly, and he doubles up as an extra bodyguard. I have known female joggers who ran through areas noted for casual attacks on single women, but with their Doberman or Rottweiler jogging along next to them on a leash, they never ever got singled out. The nasties might be weird, but very few of them are utterly stupid.

Sorry this got slightly off-topic. But IMHO, some thought about what you are doing and where you are going could avoid many, if not all, “worst nightmare” experiences.

In regards to nightmares and guns...

I was approaching a cache hidden about 300 feet into the woods just off a newly formed trail in Rochester Michigan. I had been looking for the hiding spot for about 15 minutes (garmin under heavy tree cover) when I heard too male voices approaching. They seemed angry and although I couln't quite clearly hear the conversation, they seemed to be arguing. I then heard a loud report which was very much like gunfire. The voices began yelling and I began to briskly walk out of the area. About 45 seconds later another report. I never caught site of the people, and got out of there quick. I remember quite clearly wishing I had my pistol on that hike, as it was about 1/2 mile down the trail to the trailhead, and I had no idea if anyone had seen me. Michigan requires CCW for carrying, and I do not have one... but I might just apply.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris&Cindy:
Originally posted by Chris&Cindy:

Worst fear...Rosie O'Donald naked, (with her ARMED guards).

AAAAAaahhhhh!!!! My freakin minds eye!

================================================

icon_rolleyes.gif Um, I went to college with Rosie O'Donnell (I think that's the spelling), and lived a couple of doors down from her in the dorm. So, um, I probably did see her naked at some point. But I've blocked it out.

C

[This message was edited by Phoebe's parents on August 26, 2003 at 01:59 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by PilotMan:

I get a little jumpy in the woods when I'm alone and I'm a guy. It's all those dadgum Sasquatch TV shows I'm tellin ya!

Ever wonder what a Bigfoot would look like shaved? I'm thinkin Ron Pearlman. There have been alot fewer sightings since he became a star. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by PilotMan:

I get a little jumpy in the woods when I'm alone and I'm a guy. It's all those dadgum Sasquatch TV shows I'm tellin ya!

Ever wonder what a Bigfoot would look like shaved? I'm thinkin Ron Pearlman. There have been alot fewer sightings since he became a star. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

http://www.texasgeocaching.com Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

If you shaved everything but the top of their head...Don King.

let's see now, worst nightmare? to have lived entirely too long to where i am incapable of taking care of myself and find that i am hooked to a ventilator with multiple iv drips and no chance of meaningful recovery. nope! haven't run into that yet out caching. -harry

My worst nightmare? So far, my wife hasn't done the Lorena Bobbit thing. Of course, I haven't given her any reason to consider it.

Dorothy: "How can you talk if haven't got a brain?" Scarecrow: "I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?"

quote:

I'd've called the police... If the people let their dogs die and rot, I'd be worried about their kids.

quote:
Originally posted by joefrog:

Sounds like you've found a "Pickle Park" to me... icon_eek.gif

Joel (joefrog)

Yikes, we stumbled onto one yesterday at an otherwise-nice park in New Orleans...looks like we arrived just in time for Friday afternoon Funch. icon_eek.gif

Check out http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=58476&log=y&decrypt= ; see the 2 entries for September 5.

-Dave R., Biloxi, MS

I’ve been in a number of the situations described here, like walking into a homeless man’s “domicile” while occupied. (Hi, Nice Day!), been startled silly, (OH MY GOD WHAT WAS THAT!) by joggers, falling braches, loud reports, snakes and other creatures while “wool gathering” walking down the trails. Even came bad breath close to a black bear. We both decided we didn’t like each other’s smell much and parted company.

Maybe I’m naïve, but a confident and aware attitude goes a long way in keeping safe. Even my “scares” could have been avoided if I had paid more attention to what I was doing and where I was going.

I have a concealed carry permit for North Carolina, but rarely carry a firearm in the woods. I’ll carry one in the urban jungle where the predators are more numerous and dangerous, but there again an alert and confident attitude carries more weight than a pound or so of steel.

I have had the willies walking in the woods, we can all call up personal devils (LOL this for someone with Mephistopheles as an alias!), but it usually passes just around the next bend, but if you are uncomfortable in an area leave, there is usually a good reason for being so other than just panic. All in all though, not one (OK the black bear raced the heart a little.) amounted to much other than a passing thought.

We're just starting only got a few under our belts. But, the "Girls" we refer to are a 100# malamute mix female and a 40# cocker mix. I'll tell you nothing has snuck up on us anywhere we have been with them. Many people are wary of a big dog that looks like Nikki. We or I should say I had a concern today. We were at Nestor Lake at the cache when there was gunfire across the lake. Across being about 150 yards maybe. Not knowing which way they were shooting was a big concern.

quote:
Originally posted by cmpalmer:

This will probably turn this into a gun thread, but...

While I am moderately pro-gun, this is the kind of thing that scares me about people carrying pistols. It's easy to get creeped out in the woods, or even in strange urban situations. Being startled enough to pull a gun on someone might be too close to being startled enough to fire off a round for some people.

Really?

Funny this doesn't happen all that often in CCW states. Doesn't sound like you're a bit "pro" gun.

quote:

I've always believed a decent walking stick is better suited for hiking and geocaching.

Oh brother.. here's another one. So when you're with a group a gun's FINE, but when you're alone and more vonerable, guns are bad. Wanna try to explain that one? Nobody is gonna draw 'n fire a gun at any random sound they hear. That gun's gonna be drawn when someone approaches with evil intent.

YOU of course believe being raped and harmed is better than armed. God help you as you certainly won't be equipt to help yourself.

I on the other hand believe it's a great day anytime Mr/Mrs Armed Citizen meets BadGuy w/ evil intent and

ends that criminals career then and there.

OK, here's my $.02...

The first priority for safety from other humans is a good martial art. Someone might take your firearm, stick or knife away from you and use it on you. A good self-defense art will not only give you 24/7 weapons, it will also give you self-confidence, especially for the ladies who GC solo.

The next priority for safety (as I see it) is a firearm. I'd rather use my fists and feet on someone, but if I *have* to, I have no compunction whatsoever to defend myself or another with deadly force. (*edit*: While remaining within local, state & federal laws)

*AS WITH ALL WEAPONS*, be it a gun, knife or stick or your own hands, *YOU MUST KNOW HOW TO USE THEM*. As in taking a proper firearms certification course, or a martial art for knife fighting, stick fighting, etc.

(By the way, my own personal preference for unarmed self-defense is Kenpo Karate. If you really like your stick(s), look up Escrima/Kali. Kenpo & Kali complement each other suprisingly well... and are both a lot of fun while still being effective).

As for snakes and other animal problems... Well, that's the job of my firearm.

Also, a hunter safety course should have information about how best to deal with animal interactions in your area. For example, don't shoot a bear unless you really really really have to. Play dead. It's safer... icon_wink.gif

Most animals (unless rabid) would prefer to avoid you at all costs anyway.

Well, that's my $.02. Thanks for reading, and feel free to email me with any questions you might have regarding martial arts. I'll try to answer them as best as I can, even though I am not a black belt yet.

---------------------

16x16_smiley-mad.gif Don't hurt me. I'm new here.

The most scared I've ever been in the woods happened a few years ago, right about the time I started caching, although it wasn't a cache hunt.

A buddy and I, on our way home from our night jobs, stopped by an old abandoned summer camp not too far from his house. Just to give you the feeling, we've come to call the place Camp Crystal Lake from the similarities to the Friday the 13th series.

There is a fairly small lake surrounded by about a dozen dilapitaded single-room cabins. There is a series of trails in the woods. The trails used to be wide and paved(!) but now you'd probably never know, since the forest has grown in around the paths enough to call them single-track.

It's probably trespassing to be out there, so we were being very careful not to be seen. I had a flashlight, but only turned it on occasionally in order to check the trail or somesuch, and even then I would hold my hand over the lens to keep the light from getting out.

We explored a couple of the cabins when we saw across the lake in the moonlight a truck pull up at the camp's main building. It's in a clearing, so we could see well. We saw a truck and a couple guys. We wondered if they'd seen our vehicle. Soon the truck left.

As we were walking, my friend stopped a couple times and noted a strange noise in the distance, like a bulldozer or some other large machine. I suggested that he was hearing the big trucks passing on the interstate which was no more than a half-mile away.

The sounds were getting louder, and my friend more insistent that something was in the woods with us. This being sometime around 4:00am and in the middle of thick forest, I found this hard to believe and tried again to assure him he was simply hearing the traffic from the highway.

A few moments later, this low-pitched groaning became quite loud, and less than 100 meters from us, two bright headlights appeared over a small hill and blinded us. Incredibly, there was some large vehicle busting through the woods in the middle of the night on this narrow path heading straight for us.

We dove down the hill toward the lake to try to conceal ourselves. I found myself in a tangle of thorns and broken branches, yet ignored the pain and pushed myself underneath to try to become invisible.

We waited and watched. The truck passed above us on the trail, only a few meters away. Only then did we realize that the trail took a sharp corner, and we had "hidden" ourselves almost directly on top of the very trail that the truck was on.

As the driver struggled to turn his truck around the sharp corner, we scrambled to get off the trail and into cover of darkness, but there was nowhere to go. On one side of us was the lake and the other way led back up to where we'd just come--only about 15 meters behind the truck.

Within seconds, it was too late. The truck had turned around and its lights were shining right on us as we lay in the middle of the trail.

Hoping to make the best of it, we stood up and approached the truck to talk to the driver.

Turns out it was two drunk guys looking for lake access to put their bassboat in the water. They didn't care one angstrom that we were in the woods. They only wanted to go fishing.

After that, I didn't worry much about having my flashlight on, but that's as close as I've come to soiling myself.

Jamie

Worst fear scenrio: Walking through the woods and hearing Duelling Banjos...

In reality I am less fearful in the woods or other rural areas than I am at home. I hear MORE gunshots than Backfires.

As faras safety in treks? Three rules are MOST important

1. Never go SOLO.

2. Be aware of your surroundings.

3. If you feel uncomfortable, GO HOME, NOW.

Healthy paranoia is a defense mechanism, and it is a survival instinct. It is the first stge of going into "fight or flight" and prepares you for the soon coming adrenalin.

OfCourse suprise skips the paranoia stage, and throws you right into Fight before flight mode. So the three steps above are important to assure that you alway plan an out, are prepared for dealing with your immediate environment, and have an idea of where you are in relationship to it.

Your choice of last ditch defenses are personally geared to YOUR mental and physical capabilities.

Having a gun, knife, pepper spray or a long staff does little good if you are untrained or unwilling, or just plain suprised.

Your choices depend on your personal attitudes, and if you are uncomfortable with an area. then STAY AWAY.

Caching, hiking and recreational activities should be kept in perspective, they are not MANDITORY activities.

If you have a fear of being attacked, get trained in self defense.

geocan.jpg

Trash-out, EVERYtime

~~

Geo-cach-er, n. generally a highy technically competent person with lots of free time. (see also- "Unemployed", Computer administrator, aircraft technician- defense worker- dot-com executive- systems administrator, et.al)