Encounters with animals

Guest Harry Foster

Guest Harry Foster

Encounters with Animals;

Recently my wife and I were going to do a cache by canoe and a short hike. We got to the place to beach the canoe, but the climb up the hill looked steep so my wife said she would stay near the canoe and read her book. My trusty Labrador and I headed up this little spur towards where the GPS said the cache was and as we got to within 40 yards of it, I heard a noise off to my right. I looked over and saw a very good size black bear heading up the hill away from us. He was in such good shape, looking fat and with a shiny coat.

The question then was "do I continue on to the cache, or go back to the canoe and my wife"? I chose to go to the cache as the bear was heading away from me. Did the cache thing and went back to the canoe. My wife had heard me calling the dog, so figured we had seen some other people with a dog, or seen a bear.

When I first saw him, I thought I saw on the hillside where he might have his den, so I said to the wife that next week I would come back with my son and we would see if we could find the den and maybe get a photo of himself again.

So back my son and I went the following weekend. My son was to carry the camera and be the photograher. (the only way I could get him to come). What I thought was the den site on the hillside turned out not to be the case. We looked and looked and as we walked back towards where we left the canoe (still looking) I saw where some soil had been pulled away from the hillside directly opposite us 25 yards away. I threw an old stick over to it and nothing happened. It did not in fact look from our vantage point that it would be a bears den and I said to my son that it was probably on old wolf?s den and that I would go and check it out.

My dog and I had only gone a few yards, when out from this hole came the bear and he thankfully headed up the hill away from us. I headed back to where my son was only to see him standing there with his eyes popping out and I said "you are supposed to be taking photos", at which point he took a few quick shots as the bear headed up the hill, and he managed to get an ok shot.

Fun and game with Geocaching.

Harry Foster

Australia, what a great place, in fact I met my wife there a long time ago and we hitch hiked all around the country, having a great time.

The first shot is of the bear going up the hill, and can be seen here. http://server38.hypermart.net/rustydogforge/images/Bear_72.jpg

The second shot is of my son at the mouth of the Bear's den. http://server38.hypermart.net/rustydogforge/images/Bear_72.jpg

Harry

Can you say Darwin Award candidate?

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but what the heck is the matter with you? You spot a bear during a cache hunt and then return to it's location with your son (how old is he anyway?) to search for it's den? You throw sticks at the den's entrance, essentially trying to provoke it to come out? You said you began to move toward the den. What if you had managed to reach the opening as the bear decided to emerge? What if it was a mother bear with cubs in the den or nearby?

I'm sorry, but all I read here is what a fool you were. We all take calculated risks when cache hunting, especially in areas where dangerous wildlife may be present. But to increase the risk by willingly returning and provoking the wildlife just to get a few pictures is just plain ignorant, in my opinion.

I'm glad that you and your son returned home safely, but please don't repeat this for your sake and the bears.

btw, I realize black bears are not typically aggressive, but any bear has the potential to kill any human at any given time.

[This message has been edited by makaio (edited 03 December 2001).]

Guest Harry Foster

Hey, cool it a bit. You are missing a bit. I'm quite knowledgeable about black bears having lived in close proximity to them for years, observing them many times, even in our yard. I knew a bit about this bear from our first meeting and I knew he was alone and was not aggresive. My son is 18 and very capable. We did have a device to scare off the bear if he behaved in a way different to what I expected.

I do not feel I acted in a inapropriate manner either in regards to our own safety or in respect to the bear. If I was irresponsible, I would have gone back again to get a decent photo, but I did not want to scare the bear away from his den site as it is getting late in the year and he may have not been able to get a better one.

Guest logscaler

Myself, I would rather deal with the large and growly then those things that spin, slither, skitter and such as. Lets take a poll. Which would you rather deal with, the large and growlies or those little rabid critter's that will not back off without stomping them into mush ? How about those little biting critter's that like to crawl into your shoes ? Oh, I still have the video's and the still's of the cougar cub Red and I caught walking down a road in Idaho. I suppose I will here about that also. Let?s see, I could catch this cute little kitten and release it on the other side of the road where it is trying to go or I can come by later and scrap it?s little squished body off the pavement ? Hard choice.

Apologies if my post came across too harsh, Harry.

It's just that at face value, your account of the situation seems as though it wasn't in best interest of either you or the bear. I'm sure you and your son were perfectly capable of fending off the bear, but why take the chance when you can leave it be.

Maybe in my younger days, I'd have done the same thing, but anymore, I'll observe the dangerous wildlife from a distance icon_smile.gif

Apologies if my post came across too harsh, Harry.

It's just that at face value, your account of the situation seems as though it wasn't in best interest of either you or the bear. I'm sure you and your son were perfectly capable of fending off the bear, but why take the chance when you can leave it be.

Maybe in my younger days, I'd have done the same thing, but anymore, I'll observe the dangerous wildlife from a distance icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

Lets take a poll. Which would you rather deal with, the large and growlies or those little rabid critter's that will not back off without stomping them into mush ? How about those little biting critter's that like to crawl into your shoes ?

Here in NJ, you can run into almost any sort of beastie in the woods, from bears to rattlesnakes, but the ones that scares the sh*t out of me the most are the smallest ones. Deer ticks carrying Lymes desease and mesquitoes with West Nile. I'm one of the lucky ones who gets to work in the great outdoors for a living, so it's not just during caching I worry. IMHO, anyone around here who ventures out into fields or woods without treating their clothes with permethrin and their skin with deet is just inviting trouble.

Both those pics are the same! icon_smile.gif

Out here in Australia we really only have creepy crawlies. And some of the most dangerous in the world. Its getting to the time of year that they are out and about too.

Our most dangerous animal is without a doubt, the drop bear.

------------------

It's out there...let's go get it!

[This message has been edited by embi (edited 03 December 2001).]

Both those pics are the same! icon_smile.gif

Out here in Australia we really only have creepy crawlies. And some of the most dangerous in the world. Its getting to the time of year that they are out and about too.

Our most dangerous animal is without a doubt, the drop bear.

------------------

It's out there...let's go get it!

[This message has been edited by embi (edited 03 December 2001).]

quote:
Originally posted by Harry Foster:

To the man from S.Plainfield, NJ a couple of questions about the Deer ticks. Do you know how far north the ticks have migrated? There was talk and concern a number of years ago of them working north in to Uppper New York state. Also, what is permethrin and where does one get it. Have not heard of it here.[/url]

Permethrin is an insect repellent you treat your clothes with. Most common is an aerosol spray. It's almost totally inefective if applied to the skin, so it must still be used in conjunction with deet. Around here you can find it almost anywhere, from sporting goods stores to pharmacies, supermarkets and all the *-Mart types. Did a quick google search and found a site with pretty good info, if a bit biased.

www.permethrin-repellent.com

Not sure how far north they have gone. Few years ago I lived in Jackson and that area was one of the worst in the country. I'm sure you could probably find that on google too, I just have to get to work.

I agree with Mopar. Westchester county NY just above NYC is loaded with Lyme infested ticks that takes away the fun of geocaching in my opinion. I got bit by a Lyme infested fema;le adult in OCtober.. Luckily I got it off right away and took antibiotics. Of course I wasn't using deet or Permethrin. I started sing Deet and will definitely be using Permethrin next spring.

Does anyone know if you can spray Permethrin on also directly after a cache hunt before you get in the car to kill ticks directly? Does that work? (Just an extra measure - but I couldn't find any data on that.)

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Does anyone know if you can spray Permethrin on also directly after a cache hunt before you get in the car to kill ticks directly? Does that work? (Just an extra measure - but I couldn't find any data on that.)

Alan

Not sure if you would want to. stuff is a bit pricey. $5 can is good for 2 applications. 1 application of the normal cunsumer stuff (im trying to find the pro grade concentrate locally)lasts 2 weeks with 1 washing in between. If you keep a set of "caching clothes" for the weekend its not too bad, one can can last you a month. I would think if you really to be triple sure, a quick spray down with like 20-30% deet before getting in car might be better. Personally, I think the deet/permethrin combo before heading out is enough, I worry that some day they're gonna tell me the repellents harmed me more then the insects ever could have.

Of course, I'm old enough to remember riding my bike in the fog behind the mesquito spraying trucks.......hmmmm, that might explain how I turned out.......

Guest logscaler

Try getting a pair of those white painters coverall's, treat them with repellant, carry a couple rubber bands for snapping the cuffs shut and tuck the legs into tall boots. get a surplus canvas packpack from one of those army/navy outfit's for storing them in. They should not need to be washed all that often, unless you happen to have clumsy feet. Ticks have a way of showing up on white for some reason or another. Although, being all white in the woods, it might be kind of hard to be sneaky. Unless it is snowing out. Just a thought.

Not sure if you would want to. stuff is a bit pricey. $5 can is good for 2 applications. 1 application of the normal cunsumer stuff (im trying to find the pro grade concentrate locally)lasts 2 weeks with 1 washing in between. If you keep a set of "caching clothes" for the weekend its not too bad, one can can last you a month. I would think if you really to be triple sure, a quick spray down with like 20-30% deet before getting in car might be better. Personally, I think the deet/permethrin combo before heading out is enough, I worry that some day they're gonna tell me the repellents harmed me more then the insects ever could have.

[/b]

Try this site. http://www.scs-mall.com/

They're located in Stony Brook NY and have a great description of the uses of Deet and Permethrin as well as how to apply permethrin - the regular stuff you buy in a can as a two week application and the pro-grade concentrated stuff you wash in for a whole year's application. They sell by mail order.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Try this site. http://www.scs-mall.com/

They're located in Stony Brook NY and have a great description of the uses of Deet and Permethrin as well as how to apply permethrin - the regular stuff you buy in a can as a two week application and the pro-grade concentrated stuff you wash in for a whole year's application. They sell by mail order.

Alan

Not bad, but I really want to find the concentrate locally if possible. Right now I get the Permanone brand aerosol for $5 a can at WalMart. Since I spend probably 70+ hrs a week outdoors, I really want the pro-grade stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Not bad, but I really want to find the concentrate locally if possible. Right now I get the Permanone brand aerosol for $5 a can at WalMart. Since I spend probably 70+ hrs a week outdoors, I really want the pro-grade stuff.

They have the heavy duty commercial stuff-Coulston's.

Did you check http://www.scs-mall.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=PTTK&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=9

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Choberiba:

Mopar spends: probably 70+ hrs a week outdoors

Are you in the doghouse with your wife too?

HAHAHAAHA! Trust me, it's been the cause of many a fight with my girlfriend. I'm in landscape design, construction, and maintenence. When we are very busy, I often work 7:30am until 9pm. Then theres geocaching and my waverunner on the weekends. Since around here its seasonal work, we need to cram 12 months of work into 9 months of nice weather. This was probably my last full week of work until spring. Now I'll have plenty of time to make it up to her icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Choberiba:

Mopar spends: probably 70+ hrs a week outdoors

Are you in the doghouse with your wife too?

HAHAHAAHA! Trust me, it's been the cause of many a fight with my girlfriend. I'm in landscape design, construction, and maintenence. When we are very busy, I often work 7:30am until 9pm. Then theres geocaching and my waverunner on the weekends. Since around here its seasonal work, we need to cram 12 months of work into 9 months of nice weather. This was probably my last full week of work until spring. Now I'll have plenty of time to make it up to her icon_smile.gif

Guest BrewMan

Heh, I carry a 650,000 volt stun gun for that very reason. (they are legal in OH)

I have found only ONE critter that will not Run Away when I fire this puppy in the air for a second... that critter is a human darwin canidate. icon_wink.gif

I have had a friend savaged by a dog and this stunning beauty saved his life. It was a trained attack shepard and was told to "kill"... I didn't even have to touch him to get him to yelp and run. *pats pocket* Yup.

Guest BrewMan

Heh, I carry a 650,000 volt stun gun for that very reason. (they are legal in OH)

I have found only ONE critter that will not Run Away when I fire this puppy in the air for a second... that critter is a human darwin canidate. icon_wink.gif

I have had a friend savaged by a dog and this stunning beauty saved his life. It was a trained attack shepard and was told to "kill"... I didn't even have to touch him to get him to yelp and run. *pats pocket* Yup.

Guest Choberiba

Brewman: Heh, I carry a 650,000 volt stun gun for that very reason.

I've been know to carry something with a little bite to it as well. Just wish I could do so legally.

My scariest encounter with a (non-dog) critter was with something I never actually saw.

I was crawling under a manzanita bush (Hey when I bushwhack....) when suddenly I heard a large twig snap in fron of me.

I was in an extreamly vulnerable position, so I offerd up my deepest growl and batted at some branches.

I never did find out what it was, but there were mountain lion warning signs posted in the area, and a woman was killed by one (or by someone that played a mountain lion on TV) in that area a few years back.

Imagination is not always your friend.