Worst power trail ever.

After some 3,000 km of driving to and around Idaho I logged just over 2000 smilies, a few days after coming home I racked up another 3,000 km driving to Alaska and back all for some 15 smilies.

Question is: what's the most distance you drove caching in one month?

Edited by Roman!

Not sure. It was about 15 hours total driving time. Found ONE cache. Not the TB hotel-which was inacesable due to soft ground. Not the LnL's or ammo cans under 5 feet of snow. Not the three caches that just weren't there. No, I found a bison tube LPC in the parking lot of the store that sells them. If I couldn't find that one, I could have just went inside and bought a new one and left a throwdown.

It was not a caching store but they had bison tubes and those brass nano's. I hadn't thought any non geocachers would ever use those.

Not sure how far it was in miles, but summer of 2011 we drove all the way from California to Maine and back. Didn't take a straight route because we cached in 17 states along the way and not even sure how many caches it was. Quite a few because we cached every day as we had just started our quest of caching every day for a year. Seems to me we did about 7,000+ miles in six weeks.

Longest just for geocaching? Maybe 4 hours.

Longest road-trip ever including trains was when my brother and I went from Beijing to Kathmandu on the train via Xi'an, Chengdu, and Lhasa where the rail ends so we had to go via Jeep with a guide (which the Internet tells me is about 2000 miles in a straight line, but we probably went like 3000 miles). I think between all those destinations I got maybe 3 geocaches since there literally weren't any more to find, but I took coordinates for a few Earthcaches in Tibet for future geocachers so it's not so bad now.

Man oh man, am I tired just remembering that journey!

Was this drive to Alaska and back strictly for Geocaching, and nothing else? I mean you could say I took the non-Geocaching family on vacation a few times, and ran out at 6:00 AM several times and found about 10 or 15 caches during the whole vacation.

As a matter of fact, I've been pulling that stunt on various family members during road trips since about 2005. And I will be again in July. :P

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Was this drive to Alaska and back strictly for Geocaching, and nothing else? I mean you could say I took the non-Geocaching family on vacation a few times, and ran out at 6:00 AM several times and found about 10 or 15 caches during the whole vacation.

If I had the opportunity to drive to Alaska, I'd do it to see Alaska and finding a few caches along the way would merely be a bonus.

The amount of driving I've done specifically to go geocaching is quite small, but I've traveled some great distances to visit some place (usually for business) and was able to do find some time to do some geocaching while I was there. Typically if the amount of time it is going to take me to get somewhere by vehicle exceeds 6 hours one way I consider flying instead, and for many trips flying is the only option. My longest trip would be last year when I went to Malaysia (about 9400 miles away). I left home on a Friday morning and didn't get to my final destination until Sunday around 11:00AM and all of that time I was either on an airplane or in an airport.

As a matter of fact, I've been pulling that stunt on various family members during road trips since about 2005. And I will be again in July. :P

Yes, the point was to find an Alaskan cache. We stayed 1 night and drove back the next morning.

And my question is driving, no planes, trains, buses or boats.

If I had the opportunity to drive to Alaska, I'd do it to see Alaska and finding a few caches along the way would merely be a bonus.

The amount of driving I've done specifically to go geocaching is quite small, but I've traveled some great distances to visit some place (usually for business) and was able to do find some time to do some geocaching while I was there. Typically if the amount of time it is going to take me to get somewhere by vehicle exceeds 6 hours one way I consider flying instead, and for many trips flying is the only option. My longest trip would be last year when I went to Malaysia (about 9400 miles away). I left home on a Friday morning and didn't get to my final destination until Sunday around 11:00AM and all of that time I was either on an airplane or in an airport.

Obviously we stopped and enjoyed, I took some 500 pictures, 90% if the in and around Hyder.

Edited by Roman!

Yes, the point was to find an Alaskan cache. We stayed 1 night and drove back the next morning.

Then my answer is 25 miles from Pittsburgh to the West Virginia Panhandle, to find 4 or 5 caches in West Virginia. :lol:

I drove my Mom from Thunder Bay to Fort Frances to visit our cousins, and we attempted some caches along the way.

On my own, I went from my cousin's place to Manitoba and back in a day, for three caches (and a number of DNFs). That was 270km one way; click here to see the evertrail.com map of the return trip.

I did a geocaching-only road trip last autumn that was 2,300km, over four days. The target was a mountaintop event cache which was awesome. Along the way I filled more of my Ontario Counties map and even got two FTFs. My only regret was that my daughter was in school and couldn't come along.

Day 1 - Toronto to Batchawana Mountain - 783km

Day 2 - Batchawana to Sultan - 360km

Day 3 - Sultan to Manitoulin via Timmins - 740km

Day 4 - Manitoulin to Toronto, scenic route - 445km

In less then 5 weeks, I was in a car for about 13,000 miles. Found less then 100 caches, but over 30 states!

That's a lot of time in a car, sure would love to know why?

Edited by Roman!

Then my answer is 25 miles from Pittsburgh to the West Virginia Panhandle, to find 4 or 5 caches in West Virginia. :lol:

Coincidentally, I'm planning on finding a cache or two in the West Virginia panhandle while on the from Ithaca to Tennessee in August.

I live about 50 miles away from "The Spot" and although I found 3-4 other caches that day my primary reason for driving about 130 miles that day was to find that one cache. Although I didn't drive myself, I hired a driver to take me (and a non-cacher) from Morogoro, Tanzania to Mikumi National Park (about 135 miles r/t) to find one cache at the entrance to the park (of course, I also spent a few hours in the park on a day safari).

I did a geocaching-only road trip last autumn that was 2,300km, over four days.

Teh

A few years ago I picked up a travel bug that was part of a TB race involving 12 trackable items owned by 12 different geocachers from Bakersfield, CA. The race had a specific start and stop time and there were several criteria and rules for awarding points, such as the number of caches visited, the number of state borders cross, and total mileage. All the TB started in Bakersfield (in the same cache) and had to be back at an event at the end of the race. After picking up the TB in in NY I took to Europe and back then had a vacation planned in California a couple weeks before the end of the race and dropped it in a specific cache in Sacramento where the owner came to pick it up. Even with all that mileage, she didn't win the race. One of the other participants carried his TB (that was allowed per the rules) on a drive from Bakersfield to Ann Arbor, Michigan and back (and didn't take the shortest route in either direction). The shortest route is 2250 miles each way.

Then you'll have to return some day and see a little of what you missed. We've driven to Alaska twice from Calgary. Each trip was over a month long.

Some people simply approach this differently. Even before geocaching, I'd take multi-day road trips to see the countryside, stopping in a different campground each night, setting up my tent, cooking a good meal and enjoying the camp fire, then moving on the next day. Now, with caches along the way, it just takes longer to get to the next campground. Driving to a place and staying there for a week has never been my thing.

My longest trip was a little under 3000 miles and six days. The point of the trip was to drive the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park, after seeing it on an episode of Modern Marvels on the History Channel. I found maybe 50 hand picked caches along the way and probably drove past 10 times as many. The highlight of the trip was Ambrosia's and her family's virtual caches on the GTTS Road.

Another road that I had to drive after seeing it on TV was Nevada Hwy 375, the now famous ET Hwy. The fact that there were 20 or so caches on the road and on the dirt roads crossing it just made it all the more fun. If I ever drive the ET again, I guess I'll stop every 25 miles or so and stretch my legs and grab a cache, but I don't think it will be as exciting as finding an old ammo can, hiding behind a yucca tree.

After some 3,000 km of driving to and around Idaho I logged just over 2000 smilies, a few days after coming home I racked up another 3,000 km driving to Alaska and back all for some 15 smilies.

Driving around Idaho and measuring in kilometers? I didn't know they had kilometers out there. Geocachers are a strange lot indeed.

Then you'll have you might want to return some day and see a little of what you missed. We've driven to Alaska twice from Calgary. Each trip was over a month long.

Some people simply approach this differently. Even before geocaching, I'd take multi-day road trips to see the countryside, stopping in a different campground each night, setting up my tent, cooking a good meal and enjoying the camp fire, then moving on the next day. Now, with caches along the way, it just takes longer to get to the next campground. Driving to a place and staying there for a week has never been my thing.

There, I worded my suggestion more carefully.

I think our longest stay in one spot was three very active days in Denali National Park. Alaska's a huge state with lots of spectacular scenery, interesting history and culture, abundant wildlife, and plenty of adventure opportunities. As well as a scattering of geocaches.

If you go up there mainly to grab one geocache, then you'll miss a lot that the state has to offer. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks.

Driving around Idaho and measuring in kilometers? I didn't know they had kilometers out there. Geocachers are a strange lot indeed.

time to get with the times, metric is used pretty much everywhere except the US.

Then you'll have you might want to return some day and see a little of what you missed. We've driven to Alaska twice from Calgary. Each trip was over a month long.

There, I worded my suggestion more carefully.

I think our longest stay in one spot was three very active days in Denali National Park. Alaska's a huge state with lots of spectacular scenery, interesting history and culture, abundant wildlife, and plenty of adventure opportunities. As well as a scattering of geocaches.

If you go up there mainly to grab one geocache, then you'll miss a lot that the state has to offer. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks.

From Hyder you can not drive anywhere else in Alaska without backtracking a few hundred kilometers and then driving anther thousand or more, we saw everything we could/wanted to see and took some 500 pictures.