GSAK & NUVI Issue

captnemo

Sometimes when I try to load a PQ from GSAK to my NUVI with POI Loader it is blocked. This seems to be something that started recently and It appears to be related to a single cache in the PQ that blocks the download. I've had it happen with different PQ with different caches in different parts of the country.

There is a discussion, "GSAK & NUVI Issue", in the "How Do I" forum and seems to affect several cachers. There is also several postings with possible ideas as to cause but the feeling is it's something GS did with an upgrade.

I would really appreciate you fixing this as really causes a problem when I don't have the hour plus it takes to go through each and every cache in a PQ to find the lisiting that's causing the problem.

I have found the newer POI loaders seem to have issues like this. I have 2.54 and 2.52 is also a good choice. You can downgrade here. Also most of the problem caches is the text from the CO that is causing the problem. Probably not much GS can do about that.

I did some investigation of this last week and determined that the iPhone app is allowing users to enter "Emoji" emoticons into their logs. These are not getting properly parsed and end up as unrecognizable characters on the web site in most browsers. The bigger problem is that these characters are also breaking the GPX encoding, leading to problems with POI loaded and GPS units.

The team is working on a fix to prevent this from happening.

I did some investigation of this last week and determined that the iPhone app is allowing users to enter "Emoji" emoticons into their logs. These are not getting properly parsed and end up as unrecognizable characters on the web site in most browsers. The bigger problem is that these characters are also breaking the GPX encoding, leading to problems with POI loaded and GPS units.

I am glad to hear that Groundspeak is finally working on this problem. It is better than being told to take it up on the GSAK fora. The problem has become a weekly issue.

I am glad to hear that Groundspeak is finally working on this problem. It is better than being told to take it up on the GSAK fora. The problem has become a weekly issue.

plus 1

plus 1

Problem still exists, I tried to use a new PQ last Weds. and gave up looking for caches causing the problem after 4 hours and 5 "bad caches" sorry to say this is putting a big thorn into my geocaching side. :sad:

We recently had issues also...but my husband tried something different. Lately, he's been doing a direct EXPORT from GSAK to the Nuvi (without using the POI loader). Export, Garmin POI... I'll have to ask him the exact details.

It's weird....the same treasure chests are there (similar to the macro) and I'm not really sure if that graphic is imbedded somewhere or follows the export with the macro still installed?? I have no idea.... The proximity alerts actually work (and are annoying sometimes) and you can see the treasure chests sooner at a farther zoom levels.

Can't explain it...but its been working and I think its easier and faster to boot....compared to how we were doing it before.

plus 1

Problem still exists, I tried to use a new PQ last Weds. and gave up looking for caches causing the problem after 4 hours and 5 "bad caches" sorry to say this is putting a big thorn into my geocaching side. :sad:

Just wondering when this might be fixed as it's still is a major problem for me.

I just downloaded 5 PQs and 2 had no problems one PQ had one cache another PQ had four caches and the last PQ has 18 caches that had to be removed before they will load.

I really hate putting all these caches on my ignore list and it's not fair to the COs whose caches can't be found by some.

It really soiling caching for me as it has taken me hours to clean up the PQs.

My brother finally convince me to change GSAK Macros to: Nuvi_GPX_by_CT.gsk

Took a bit of work, and required an update to GSAK, but it has resolved the problem. (I am not a computer geek!) I had been using GPX_by_Cache_Type. But that had not been updated for the new difulgalties on GS.

Thank You!!! This appears to have worked. Had to update GSAK and POI and there are still are some problems to work out, but I think they are do able. Need to start POI first and no button on the tool bar yet but can work around them.

Ok, Harry Dolphin I owe you, so for the next 6 months I will agree with you in the forums no matter what. :laughing:

My brother finally convince me to change GSAK Macros to: Nuvi_GPX_by_CT.gsk

Took a bit of work, and required an update to GSAK, but it has resolved the problem. (I am not a computer geek!) I had been using GPX_by_Cache_Type. But that had not been updated for the new difulgalties on GS.

Thank You!!! This appears to have worked. Had to update GSAK and POI and there are still are some problems to work out, but I think they are do able. Need to start POI first and no button on the tool bar yet but can work around them.

Ok, Harry Dolphin I owe you, so for the next 6 months I will agree with you in the forums no matter what. :laughing:

e.

Can you please explain how to do this change?

On 5/23/2013 at 4:39 PM, Moun10Bike said:

Hi!

Searched for any topics on GPX and Emoji, and found this old tread.

I will try to post in other treads I've found, to collect information about issues on GPX files and Emojis.

Sorry for the multi-tread posting.

I have recently noticed that a single Emoji within the GPX file, whether in the geocache name or in the log, when imported into Google Earth Mac desktop app would corrupt the saved myplaces.kml file. Actually, this may be a n issue with Google Earth Mac desktop app, as adding just an Emoji to the Google Earth Mac desktop app will corrupt the saved myplaces.kml file even without a GPX file import, as I've posted here on Google Earth forum.

"Warning! Emojis corrupt my places KML file in desktop Google Earth Pro?"

Also, the Emojis will not show up at all in older Garmin devices like my trusty Oregon 450. Yes, I know it's time to upgrade my GPSr, but not even sure if Emojis in GPX files will properly show up on-screen with the latest Garmin GPSr devices. Can anyone confirm that GPX files with Emojis are properly displayed on newer GPSr devices?

Any input would be welcome!

Thanks!

~ Dr.MORO

53 minutes ago, Dr.MORO said:

Also, the Emojis will not show up at all in older Garmin devices like my trusty Oregon 450. Yes, I know it's time to upgrade my GPSr, but not even sure if Emojis in GPX files will properly show up on-screen with the latest Garmin GPSr devices. Can anyone confirm that GPX files with Emojis are properly displayed on newer GPSr devices?

Just took a look on my Oregon 700 on a cache that had a recent log containing an emoji and the Garmin just ignores it.

• Helpful 1
21 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Just took a look on my Oregon 700 on a cache that had a recent log containing an emoji and the Garmin just ignores it.

Thanks, barefootjeff!

Now I wonder if there are ANY handheld GPSr out there that shows Emojis properly on-screen, other than smartphones.

Anyone?

List so far:

Shows proper Emojis:

• ?

Ignore Emojis:

• Garmin eTrex 20
  • Garmin Oregon 450
  • Garmin Oregon 700
Edited by Dr.MORO