What Irks you most?

On 10/3/2022 at 1:45 PM, barefootjeff said:

Looking at the cache page, I see it was found yesterday by a newbie never-visited-the-website PM, so I guess because they've never visited the website they'd have no idea about what they should and shouldn't leave in caches.

This irk with never-visited-the-website PM newbies has struck again, with logs from two of them yesterday on two different caches (a 2/4 multi and a 1.5/2.5 traditional). On the multi, their log kind of suggests they completed it but I went out to check this morning anyway. The cache had been disturbed , with its covering rocks set aside, but there were no new signatures in the logbook since the last finder back in June. So do they not realise you're supposed to open the cache and sign the logbook after finding it (the cache has a pencil in it so there's no grounds for a "forgot my pen" excuse), or did someone else come across it in the intervening months and not put it back properly? Shrugs shoulders.

On the traditional, the cache was properly rehidden and there's a signature in the logbook with yesterday's date, but the name (Jacko) bears no resemblance to their caching name. This cache, although only five months old, doesn't get many finds (theirs is the 7th) so it has to be them, I suppose. But maybe someone else called Jacko found it yesterday but hasn't logged it online. Shrugs shoulders again.

On a side note, has anyone ever gotten an FP from one of these never-visited-the-website PMs? A couple of years ago I had one write that my cache was the "Most awesome cache we have found so far!" but didn't give it, or any of the other 22 caches they found in their short stint in the game, an FP. With so much emphasis now on how many FPs a cache has, both in the promotions and now most recently in the app, this could become an issue for some COs as these never-visited-the-website PMs start to dominate the game.

• Helpful 1

Not a new irk. Indeed I may have posted it here previously....  however .. if you OPEN an ammo can, kindly  work out how to close it. Please.

Checked one today, found with lid pushed down, but not latched. Full of mud, rust, ants.  Dang. <grumpy mode>   I'm long on cans, so replaced it, but I am coming to the end of being willing to do this </ mode>

Can NO latch.jpg

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Not a new irk. Indeed I may have posted it here previously....  however .. if you OPEN an ammo can, kindly  work out how to close it. Please.

Checked one today, found with lid pushed down, but not latched. Full of mud, rust, ants.  Dang. <grumpy mode>   I'm long on cans, so replaced it, but I am coming to the end of being willing to do this </ mode>

Can NO latch.jpg

Yet another reason for mandatory military service.

(dons his Nomex)

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
On 9/28/2022 at 7:45 AM, barefootjeff said:

So which other three caches should I have also done while I was up there to get me the extra 45 points?

Finds.jpg.47e2c71dea789e94577da481018b5926.jpg

I've now pretty much exhausted all that can be done by public transport around the Newcastle City area, including ALs, and it's much the same around central Sydney and the harbour. Only 15 of my 143 finds this year have been within the Central Coast region, most of the rest have required trips of 50km or more to Sydney, Newcastle or further afield. I think I've run out of options for this promotion.

SideTracked caches are near train stations. Quite a few in Sydney. I catch trains to find them.  You could catch trains to those too. In Sydney they are traditionals and multis mostly, but one is the bonus for an AL. There's a new one for my next visit. I stay way out in western Sydney, so a long train journey in, but easier than Sydney road traffic :blink:. Even caught the train down towards Wollongong for one.

8 hours ago, Smitherington said:

I’m glad I learned how to open and close ammo cans without the mandatory service.

I learnt as a child as my father had some old army ones. They stored his tools. Lots of variety. Not all the same.

https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=australian+second+world+war+ammunition+cans&client=avast-a-1&fir=_GJHRftLEyZSSM%2Cd2ryw9rhUCoOYM%2C_%3BPsuc6K6f1wjatM%2CdMAVxVQazXz5YM%2C_%3BRvOxMgHs0x4kMM%2CxUgtR761xj6RhM%2C_%3BHUbuEW1yivAV1M%2Cwpd6X2eq6bg32M%2C_%3BUSB0sa7Prv8koM%2C7g74EI4jTrLXjM%2C_%3BuYGnM6ETMPGOUM%2CV5XyB-r_oJnu9M%2C_%3BB1Ais8Z1C2Dp9M%2C7g74EI4jTrLXjM%2C_%3Bhr8t2q4J9_zzkM%2CaC8mLnKf41nexM%2C_%3BYRatwfKS2GnnLM%2C7g74EI4jTrLXjM%2C_%3Bzc_4fkP2iHD_NM%2C5TalPVGqJy43jM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kT5rWHg9FkpS_MUWFOa6JwlYVoFgQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiV4q2_j-b6AhVjxDgGHVHxBYEQjJkEegQIJRAC&biw=1390&bih=699&dpr=1.25

There used to be a huge ammo box here in Canberra used as a cache. It was an ex-missile head box I was told. It was big enough for some big trinkets, like teddy bears.

Edited by Goldenwattle
11 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

SideTracked caches are near train stations. Quite a few in Sydney. I catch trains to find them.  You could catch trains to those too. In Sydney they are traditionals and multis mostly, but one is the bonus for an AL. There's a new one for my next visit. I stay way out in western Sydney, so a long train journey in, but easier than Sydney road traffic :blink:. Even caught the train down towards Wollongong for one.

Yep, as far as I know I've already done all the SideTracked caches on the Central Coast line as well as all the closer ones on the North Shore and Main Northern lines. If I recall correctly, at the time there was rolling industrial action going on across the rail network which could have made some of the more distant ones problematic, as well as the heavy rain in the days after my Newcastle trip causing some line closures (I think on one of those days Central station was flooded).

In the end I scraped over the line by doing an AL around Hornsby that had all its waypoints within walking distance of the station, although the very first one of the sequential Adventure was surrounded by a construction fence covered with hessian and it was only by using a well-placed hole and my camera on maximum zoom that I was just able to make out the required information on the distant sign.

2 hours ago, fuzziebear3 said:

Frustrated that while traveling, I experienced DNFs on several caches, some of which were the only ones planned or available in the area.  Bummer.

My best DNFing effort was in 2017 when I was chasing D2/T4 caches for a challenge I was working on qualifying for. There were 5 such caches (4 traditionals and an EC) along a 3km stretch of beach on the south coast so I took the train down there (about a 3 hour trip involving 3 different trains) and did the walk along the shore. Of those caches, I DNFed all the traditionals and only managed a find on the EC. Three of the traditionals turned out to be missing and were subsequently archived by their owner, the other I just didn't spot (or more likely I saw it but didn't recognise it for what it was).

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, fuzziebear3 said:

Frustrated that while traveling, I experienced DNFs on several caches, some of which were the only ones planned or available in the area.  Bummer.

(I may be blind, or they may not have been there, either way, I didn't find it.)

I find it even more frustrating when such caches have had a throwdown recently dropped. I've come across that a few times recently and in a couple cases, after a bit more searching, the original is still there.

• Helpful 2

If you go to my profile and click on the link to my DNF statistics you will see I DNFed 7 caches in one day in New Zealand.

My wife's aunt and uncle lived and are buried in Tairua and after visiting their graves I wanted a cache there as a memory.  I DNFed every cache that I attempted there that day, which is, I suppose, a memory in itself

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 2
4 hours ago, fuzziebear3 said:

(I may be blind, or they may not have been there, either way, I didn't find it.)

We went to another state for high-T caches for my birthday.  Most belonged to the finned forum poster.

When we got there my truck doors pushed snow when opened.  Snow up to our waists, IIRC we found one.    :laughing:

• Upvote 1

Today's irk. I have a general dislike for needle-in-a-haystack caches but even more so when they're in steep bushland. This one, which I DNFed this morning, is a small with a hint that probably only makes sense after you've spotted the container.

NeedleInHaystack.jpg.0141085cb06ccbb1d5dcb8d589b36ff5.jpg

The steep ground makes GPS reception rather poor to start with, then there are so many possible hiding places at three or four different levels where a small could be lurking. Is it in a cave? Under a ledge? Something hanging in a tree? Under a bush? A fake rock in a field of rocks? A fake log amongst fallen logs? Other people seem to be able to find these types so it's probably just me, but at the time it makes me wonder why I bother, particularly when the site could have leant itself to something bigger and, with a more explicit hint, easier to spot after making the effort to get there through the forest.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 4

This complaint is more like me feeling sorry for myself.

There was a multi cache near here called "Pier Pressure". Well, I went to all the locations along the harbour (piers), and gathered clues - including one that was in what is now a dangerous homeless/squatter camp. After all that, I never got to the final before it was archived. Alas, it makes sense, as one clue waypoint is now basically a no-go zone, but it still irks me that I went through the risk and shall never have the reward. 

37 minutes ago, mysterion604 said:

Alas, it makes sense, as one clue waypoint is now basically a no-go zone

FWIW, I've seen other multi-stage caches continue on without a missing stage when the CO simply provided the information in the description, eliminating the need to visit the now-missing stage. So there are other solutions besides archiving such caches.

7 minutes ago, niraD said:

FWIW, I've seen other multi-stage caches continue on without a missing stage when the CO simply provided the information in the description, eliminating the need to visit the now-missing stage. So there are other solutions besides archiving such caches.

Well, it was quite an old cache too, so I'm not surprised that it was either not attended to, or the owner just gave up rather than rework the concept around different locations.

This really irks me.  Caches hidden for an upcoming event, that are not published until the event starts.  I'm a GPSr cacher.  I cannot access them with my GPSr.  I have to go home to get the information, then come back for the caches.  I find this really nasty, and discriminatory.  Isn't Geocaching about using a GPSr???

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

This really irks me.  Caches hidden for an upcoming event, that are not published until the event starts.  I'm a GPSr cacher.  I cannot access them with my GPSr.  I have to go home to get the information, then come back for the caches.  I find this really nasty, and discriminatory.  Isn't Geocaching about using a GPSr???

And aren't events about socializing with other geocachers. It irks me when people show up, sign the event log, and leave. Dashing off to find the caches hidden for the event is just one variation of that.

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 2

I get to a cache with my grandaughters that was supposedly found by two other cachers recently only to hear from the owner of the property that the cache had been stolen long ago and the person who placed the cache is long gone and does not respond to messaging.

• Upvote 2
17 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Yeah...  Luckily enough people said something here that event organizers now at least print out paper for those who still use GPSrs.

Of course you still have to enter 'em by hand, but I still do that anyway.

2 hours ago, niraD said:

And aren't events about socializing with other geocachers. It irks me when people show up, sign the event log, and leave. Dashing off to find the caches hidden for the event is just one variation of that.

One with very high numbers met us once at an event.  The EO wasn't there yet, and this person asked us, someone they just met, to sign their name on the log (in a rush to hit another area for "finds"...).

Not sure if they didn't know that we don't need to sign event logs...

The other 2/3rds caved, and a few just showing up said they asked them to do the same.  :laughing:

Another local had some challenge thing with events, and would sign the log, nod their head to people, then move on to the next event.

Seems in those instances, signing the log is a "feeling guilty" thing...

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Another local had some challenge thing with events, and would sign the log, nod their head to people, then move on to the next event.

For one of the days where Groundspeak offered a Souvenir for attending an event on that day, we had an event at a 24-hour donut shop from midnight to 12:30. Just as we were wrapping up, a group rolled in. They had "attended" another event about 25-minutes away, and now they were "attending" our events. They wanted some sort of record for the number of events "attended" in 24 hours, on this day where you got a Souvenir for attending an event.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, niraD said:

For one of the days where Groundspeak offered a Souvenir for attending an event on that day, we had an event at a 24-hour donut shop from midnight to 12:30. Just as we were wrapping up, a group rolled in. They had "attended" another event about 25-minutes away, and now they were "attending" our events. They wanted some sort of record for the number of events "attended" in 24 hours, on this day where you got a Souvenir for attending an event.

I suppose what ever floats your boat. :ninja:

7 hours ago, KukriRSA said:

I get to a cache with my grandaughters that was supposedly found by two other cachers recently only to hear from the owner of the property that the cache had been stolen long ago and the person who placed the cache is long gone and does not respond to messaging.

Hello, welcome.

I would log a DNF and repeat exactly what the property owner said.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Team Canary said:

Why not a Needs Reviewer Attention log?

Probably a good idea. I wasn't thinking. Still mention what the property owner said.

I was thinking about those couple of of recent logs. Saying what the property owner said and that the cache had been stolen a long time ago, would make it obvious the last two didn't find it and were lying about finding it. I dislike those who can't find a cache, but still log a find, simply for being there. There, another irk.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
3 hours ago, Team Canary said:
4 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Hello, welcome.

I would log a DNF and repeat exactly what the property owner said.

Why not a Needs Reviewer Attention log?

Yep, same - DNF + RAR. That also raises the flag for subsequent finders. I may search for a cache with a string of DNFs if I think it might still be there just really well hidden, but almost always if there's the flag for reviewer attention there's some serious issue that makes it not worth the visit until it's handled by someone. So appreciate seeing that log, and thus likewise in that case would post it for others. 

On that note, I also include alternate coordinates bolded in log text if the cache is clearly not at the coordinates it should be at; like if the CO moves the cache 20+m and only says so in a log but they don't update coordinates. I miss the 'alternate coordinates' add-on to logs.  It irks me seeing pages of logs of people confirming they found it after expanding from posted, and not even with any indication of better coordinates or location :P

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

On that note, I also include alternate coordinates bolded in log text if the cache is clearly not at the coordinates it should be at; like if the CO moves the cache 20+m and only says so in a log but they don't update coordinates. I miss the 'alternate coordinates' add-on to logs.  It irks me seeing pages of logs of people confirming they found it after expanding from posted, and not even with any indication of better coordinates or location

Me too. Log after log saying the cache is say ten metres out, but not one person being considerate enough to give coordinates.

There was one cache (and which I had a previous DNF with) that for years people kept mentioning the coordinates were out, but NOT one person was thoughtful enough to give the coordinates. I had a second attempt at this and extended my search, finding the cache this time. I gave the coordinates, as the cache, from memory, was 25 metres out. I wrote in my log asking why none of the previous finders had given the correct coordinates. Of course they wouldn't see it, but I hope someone took it aboard. I find that very annoying. The CO took notice and changed the coordinates to what I gave.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
2 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Me too. Log after log saying the cache is say ten metres out, but not one person being considerate enough to give coordinates.

<...>

I'm not sure I would!

Coordinates are fuzzy. You do the best you can, but the acceptable offage can be about 60 feet!

So, as long as the CO isn't being a **** about it, it's understandable and allowable that he or she or they or it might decline to update their coordinates just because WE say so.

In the face of that, is it then OK for us to provide specific spoilers to future seekers that are outside of the details of what the CO has put in the description?

Is it OK to say "The listing says that it's at the base of the tree, but it's really two feet away, under the flat rock?"

That would get your log deleted on one of my caches.

You attempt a cache given what's been provided, by the CO, by design. Everybody should have the same opportunities and the same obstacles, and if coordinates are way off, then I think it's OK to say that you found it at a location that didn't agree with the posted coordinates, but nothing more detailed.

55 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Is it OK to say "The listing says that it's at the base of the tree, but it's really two feet away, under the flat rock?"

I see it differently,  this would get me out to my cache to remove it from under the flat rock and put it back at the base of the tree.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, L0ne.R said:

I see it differently,  this would get me out to my cache to remove it from under the flat rock and put it back at the base of the tree.

Unless you put it under the rock in the first place, and as far as you're concerned, that's at the base of the tree. Their description is THEIR description, not necessarily how we would write it.

There are COs who aren't intentionally messing with us who are also not being a **** about it. Some COs may not think of it, some may just not be bothered with it. Just like cachers who don't consider adding alternative coordinates so the CO can judge whether not to update the coordinates, or others can avoid wasting time searching at sufficiently inaccurate coordinates.

And one user's gps reading may be off but the CO's is accurate (like, "I found it 20m from gz", while no one else has ever had a problem); and vice versa. The CO should make that call, whether to update coords. But if they don't, it's nice to at least see other people's coordinates in logs if I have trouble finding the cache just as they did. So I'll add my coordinates if it seems that the posted (which implies "the cache is here") coordinates seem significantly inaccurate.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Coordinates are fuzzy. You do the best you can, but the acceptable offage can be about 60 feet!

18 meters? Only in spots with particularly bad GPS reception. In the open, or with little tree coverage, you get 3-5 m with a modern consumer GPS device (incl. a smartphone) if you know how to average etc. So whenever I'm off 10 m or more in such situations, I mention it in my log like "I found the cache about 10-15 meters, roughly NE, of GPS GZ". When I'm sure that the signal is good enough to get precise coordinates, I post them in my log as well.

And as others have said, it also irks me, when I read multiple logs saying "coordinates significantly off", but with no indication of distance and direction.

• Upvote 4

I do believe that the cache owner is expected to get and post the most accurate coordinates possible.  GPSr these days, should be only a few feet off, that accounts for the differences.   But in most places, being 30 feet off is OFF.  I will post my coordinates with my log in that case.

Admittedly, I'm not doing the whole multiple readings, averaging that I would do if I was hiding it -- just a quick jot of what my GPS said when I actually found it.  But only if it was 25 feet or more.

• Upvote 4
7 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

I'm not sure I would!

So, as long as the CO isn't being a **** about it, it's understandable and allowable that he or she or they or it might decline to update their coordinates just because WE say so.

In the face of that, is it then OK for us to provide specific spoilers to future seekers that are outside of the details of what the CO has put in the description?

You attempt a cache given what's been provided, by the CO, by design. Everybody should have the same opportunities and the same obstacles, and if coordinates are way off, then I think it's OK to say that you found it at a location that didn't agree with the posted coordinates, but nothing more detailed.

18 metres; that's way beyond acceptable, and I've known reviewers put a NM log on caches that far out, after a series of finders saying the coordinates are out. You should be able to get much more accurate coordinates than that. If a CO keeps refusing to accept coordinates when several people have given almost identical coordinates, which others say are okay, they have either given up on that cache (unlikely to change log, etc either), or they are unbelievable stubborn and have an unnatural view that they are right and and everyone else wrong.

I often give coordinates for out caches, and unless the area is heavily treed or something, have little difficult with my Garmin getting reasonable coordinates, much closer than the way out 10 metres (60 feet), and following finders have confirmed that.

7 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

"The listing says that it's at the base of the tree, but it's really two feet away, under the flat rock?" That would get your log deleted on one of my caches.

I really try to be accurate with my caches and take great care there. If something changed I would update it. I don't like inaccuracies with my cache, or being too lazy to update. Deleting someone's log like that is very wrong. You should thank them for the correction and correct it; not get your back up, "With how dare you correct me!"

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 4
9 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

at the base of a waterfall in a steep gully

I would never dare to give coordinates for a place like that. Those I have given other coordinates for have been fairly easy to take coordinates at, but somehow the CO never managed too.

I added detailed hints for GC4BKBP , a cache of mine, after the alleyway changed. It used to be just a back, grotty alleyway, but then builders moved in and now a bar and café have appeared. More gentrification is planned too. I added hints that weren't initially there, because coordinates are difficult there and now there are muggles, and I don't want to attract their attention to the cache. The finder can make a quick find. I kept the 3D because of the muggle factor.

6 minutes ago, Z_Statman said:

Recently I downloaded over a 1000 caches w/n 50 miles of my home location and the average D/T was 1.6 and most about .5 miles from a road - P&G proliferation is getting out of hand

Half a mile from the road is not part and grab. But I know what you mean. Too many road side caches, one after the other...power trails.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Z_Statman said:

Recently I downloaded over a 1000 caches w/n 50 miles of my home location and the average D/T was 1.6 and most about .5 miles from a road - P&G proliferation is getting out of hand

The good news is that you can filter them out, and then you'll likely find far more caches of the type you want than you would have before park&grabs were popular. And if you don't, it's because people in your area that like them aren't planting them.

Low terrain short hike or P&G are fine for me.  I'm not physically able to do long hikes over difficult terrain and I'll probably never fill my D/T grid, unless I can find challenges whose D & T are based on challenge difficulty.  And power trails are great for getting Labyrinth souvenirs.  7 of 8 unfound caches nearest to my home are T3.0 or higher.  I will never be able to claim those.

• Upvote 1
On 12/18/2022 at 7:28 AM, barefootjeff said:

This is the D/T grid of new caches published in my region this year:

DTCentralCoastDec2022.jpg.df23f4ee832b65b3d427e00bfe5a7377.jpg

One could say the lack of new easy P&Gs is getting out of hand, as those in the top left hand corner of the grid are what most of the finders want to do. There's also a serious lack of extremely difficult caches (D4.5 and D5). What are the hiders here thinking?

Edit to add: I've just added to the despair of the region's P&G hunters with my latest one published today (GCA2XYJ), a 1.5/3.5 traditional accessed through scrubby forest, up 30 metres onto a rocky outcrop and then a tricky descent to a small cave on a narrow ledge below the top. It even has a regular-sized container (a plastic ammo can) instead of the much-preferred micros.

After visiting the coast on the weekend, I would have to say there is nothing to find within a few minutes walk.

The lack of easier finds kills off interest for new cachers or people filling in time waiting for a football match to start. I was planning on lunch in Patonga and ran out of time.

No new cachers leads to less new caches, leads to less new cachers, etc. 

• Upvote 2

11 hour layover at DFW (different kind of irk) was supposed to be 6 hours and spent most of those 6 hours either sleeping or eating breakfast after the red eye so no time to leave the airport.

Did the Adventure Lab Cache. But no Texas souvenir. I know they try to explain it away why, but that is lame. Write a procedure to cross reference the location of the icon with what state it is in. Come on GS add a field to the database. Hire a summer intern from UW if you need to.

Seriously if they want to merge the two games then merge them fully.  Geocaching is about locations, latitude, longitude and maps. I like my statistics and maps.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
2 hours ago, MNTA said:

Seriously if they want to merge the two games then merge them fully.

+1, I've thought this from the start, are they caches or not? They seem to be. Then why don't we get notifications of finds, why isn't there the easy facility for NMs etc, why has it taken so long to be able to add photos?

Why are these finds completely absent from our find history? - this irks me the most - the data is there, as Project-GC will list your last find as whatever AL location you did, if it was your last find. I wonder if Project-GC uses AL locs in county/country maps??

• Helpful 1