Sign in to follow this  
Followers 44
avroair

What Irks you most?

23 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Are you suggesting people should go find lots of caches they don't like or normally won't do just to get FP's? I'd rather do nice caches without having FP's to give out than go on a "run of the mill" hunt just to get FP's.

Not at all.

I'm suggesting that if someone did find hundreds of fungible film canisters, then it wouldn't be surprising for them to have dozens of unspent FP.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Got another irk yesterday.

I normally read logs before setting out but for yesterday's outing we had set a "main goal" and wanted to pick up a few caches on the way there. The first cache was a very short multi for which I already answer questions at WP1 to calculate the cache location. We arrived at GZ and found the micro at the bottom of a traffic sign post. It was supposed to be attached to the cap covering the post but it had fallen in. While preparing our "to do" list I skipped reading the logs for that easy cache because GSAK had 4 green (=found it) logs. It wasn't until we saw the micro at the bottom that i read these last logs, all of them stating the micro fell in but they logged a find because the CO allowed them too. No NM or DNF was posted so at first sight nothing seemed to be wrong with the cache. Of course I posted a DNF AND NM.

Why didn't the CO TD this cache.. it's been 2 weeks since the first log that mentioned "after contacting the CO we were allowed to log a find".

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

7 hours ago, niraD said:

I'm suggesting that if someone did find hundreds of fungible film canisters, then it wouldn't be surprising for them to have dozens of unspent FP.

Yep.

When many of us received a hefty amount of favorite points based on finds since starting, some already had more than they'd ever use.     ;)

We gave a lot to long-archived caches we've done. Most we know didn't.  They were our favorites.  Still had one heck-of-a-lot left.

We do know a few who hit well-known power trails, with well-over a thousand "finds",  and none of those caches got a FP.

Why would they ?  Mediocre containers placed wherever,  just "for a smiley" and because there's room.

- Great caches to gather FPs on,  but not worth placing one on.   I feel one-in-twenty is pushing it these days... 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, on4bam said:
9 hours ago, niraD said:

Maybe they spent a weekend on a numbers trail and racked up a hundred FP without spending any.

Are you suggesting people should go find lots of caches they don't like or normally won't do just to get FP's? I'd rather do nice caches without having FP's to give out than go on a "run of the mill" hunt just to get FP's.

Obviously I can't speak for niraD, but I'm going to answer "No", anyway. I thought it was obvious he was saying that once you rule out the 1000 caches on the numbers trail and see that they've only found 30 other caches, then you'd expect only 3 FPs assigned. I'm completely unable to read anything in his post suggesting power trails as a way to get extra FPs. If anything, it's just the oppositeL: he's saying that someone doing a power trail is, statistically speaking, likely to ignore the FPs they get from the numbers run. After all, he's responding to a post complaining about people assigning too few FPs, not a post about people assigning FPs indiscriminately because they have more than they deserve.

• Helpful 1