What Irks you most?

Cachers who place caches on road signs within 20 feet of someone's front door or window. Then warning cachers to use extreme stealth so as to not alert those living there. Even though it's public property, doesn't mean it's the smartest place to hide a cache. Found two of these and promptly put the rest on ignore.

Or caches that use the "stealth" attribute where stealth is impossible.

I found one a few years back that was stuck to the back of a sign with a magnet. The only thing was it required reaching way over my head (and I'm 6'4 so how anyone shorter could have done it is a mystery) and the sign was on a busy footpath beside a busy road, opposite a busy bus stop and also opposite a station.

A few of "stealth required" caches of note.

For one the coordinates took me to a narrow alley with a newspaper box just inside the alley (about the only place the cache could have been hidden). Less than 5 feet from the newspaper box was a restaurant with a glass wall and people sitting at a table. I didn't even try looking for that one.

Another (that I found) was about 25 feet from the indoor tables of a well known coffee chain. I was able to locate a container fairly quickly but it was a hide-a-key box stuck inside a sign that took several minutes to extract and then discovered that it was actually a container for a letter box. The cache was just a foot or so away on the other side of the sign hidden in a similar manner. It also took me a minute or so to extract the container. If a CO wants finders to use stealth, placing a container such that it takes several minutes to extract the container is only asking for it to get muggled.

The third one was in bison tube with a magnet attached to it and wrapped in duct tape. It was located in a residential in a sign post. No, it wasn't a stop sign...it looked something like this...

sign.gif

A couple of mine are:

1) No maintenance on a cache or response from CO after multiple DNFs on relatively easy caches.

2) Newbies with less than 50 cache finds placing caches. Went after one last month that the CO had 1 find (in another state) and hid one up in a tree.

3) Caches published by COs that do not live in the same state as the cache they placed it in (and not likely to do maintenance).

4) Negativity in the Forums here. If you don't have anything positive to contribute or say, don't say anything. Some people have nothing better to do than micro-analyze a post, tear it to shreds because of a misspelled word or they don't agree with the posting. Too bad these forums aren't monitored because a lot of good could come from here if Groundspeak had actual moderators that addressed [these].

I love the irony.

• Upvote 1

A couple of mine are:

1) No maintenance on a cache or response from CO after multiple DNFs on relatively easy caches.

2) Newbies with less than 50 cache finds placing caches. Went after one last month that the CO had 1 find (in another state) and hid one up in a tree.

3) Caches published by COs that do not live in the same state as the cache they placed it in (and not likely to do maintenance).

4) Negativity in the Forums here. If you don't have anything positive to contribute or say, don't say anything. Some people have nothing better to do than micro-analyze a post, tear it to shreds because of a misspelled word or they don't agree with the posting. Too bad these forums aren't monitored because a lot of good could come from here if Groundspeak had actual moderators that addressed [these].

I love the irony.

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Team Microdot

A couple of mine are:

I love the irony.

:lol::lol::lol:

I see that it was edited by an actual moderator. :D

When someone is FTF, but then they take an age to post their log online. Then I dash out, get to GZ, feel all excited that I'm going to be FTF; only to find the log is already signed.

What irks me? People who think they are entitled to be notified if they are not going to be FTF on a cache. Part of the FTF side game is not knowing if you are first and feeling the rush hit you when you find out you are. I cannot understand how such self-entitlement can motivate a person to think that they must be placated by an immediate FTF log, lest they actually be disappointed if they come in second.

What are you on about, "placated by an immediate FTF log"? If you had read my post correctly, you would see that it said, "they take an age to post their log online".

I understand that some people don't have smartphones and so can't post a log until they get home. I don't think it's unreasonable to hope that people will log their FTF within a reasonable amount of time.

I enjoy the thrill of seeing if I'm FTF, or if I have just missed out; but not to get there in the evening and find FTF was at 6:30am (as happened to me once).

• Upvote 1

Smartphone era lame logs. Which I will define as two words or less (i.e. "found it"), although they most frequently take the form of "Tftc". Drives me absolutely bonkers...

I'm new, but I usually only leave a lame log if it's a lame cache. Recently I found a dirty cache, under a dirty lamp skirt, in a dirty part of town. Ew. "TFTC" Was the nicest thing I could say. :P

Fortunately this hasn't happened too often, but I really hate those caches that are placed in an area of thick vines with dead branches mixed in. One such is located in an area of thick vines, branches, and a lot of deadly trash. Why in the world would someone want to bring folks where they could very likely be injured?

In the situations I've run into, just moving the cache about 20 feet one way or the other would have kept it out of the danger area. And in each situation I ran into, the CO knew that it was thick with vines from late Spring through early Autumn -- the vines did not grow up over the years; they were already there when the caches were placed.

The last one I ran into was marked D1/T1. No way on either of those!!

I also ran into one cache where the coordinates kept indicating that the container was in thick, pointy holly bushes. Turns out that the cache wasn't even in there, it was in a safe area some distance away. But the CO would not allow any kind of hint or anything to let folks know that they didn't have to push into the holly bushes.

There are so many good places to hide caches. Why torture the searcher unnecessarily?

• Upvote 1

The last one I ran into was marked D1/T1. No way on either of those!!

That's another big time irk! Cache owners that don't use the GC rating system when choosing their D/T ratings. Sometimes it seems like the CO pulled the numbers out of a hat. The link to the rating system is pretty obvious on the online form. Some people with mobility issues rely on accurate T ratings. It's frustrating and a waste of time and gas money when a T2 or under geocache turns out to be a T3 (or over) cache - steep slope, rock pile, bushwack through trees and logs, tree climb.

• Upvote 1

When a "needs maintenance" symbol still shows in the cache listing that is months old with many finds since it was tagged. Why don't COs indicate they've fixed it? Or, if no fix was needed, get rid of the symbol?

Friendly fixer-uppers and an absent CO, which leads me to add: the reluctance to post a NA when it really NA.

1: Puzzle Caches. Put them in another category, like the now-defunct Challenges.

A: If you have to put one out...

(2): make the actual geocache commensurate with the puzzle difficulty. A 4.0/1.5 puzzle is just lazy and rude.

This makes little sense to me. *shrug*

Should a traditional in a high T area *also* be hard to find? I have found a bunch of obvious ammo can's in T4 areas. I don't see why you would hold puzzles to a different standard.

Why should a difficult puzzle **ALSO** need to be in difficult terrain? Just not logical.

That being said, I agree with your other point. Put a geo-checker on the web page. Especially if the location is hard to get to.

Wasn't talking about traditionals, was talking about puzzle/mystery caches. A quick look at your profile reveals why you think that way. 23 Blue Squiggleys placed, and about 5 of them have the puzzle difficulty coming anywhere near the terrain difficulty.

I say it again, a good puzzle cache (if there is such a thing...) should have the puzzle difficulty somewhat commensurate with the terrain difficulty. It supposed to be about finding the geocache, not doing some inane puzzle.

Quite a few puzzle makers purposely put the puzzle finals in urban 1.5 terrain areas, so they don't block off any good spots that others may use for traditionals. This is done to purposely avoid irking other cachers...

My toughest puzzle was placed with a T1. Yes... T1. I did that so people in wheelchairs can have the fun of solving a tough puzzle AND actually finding it. People shouldn't HAVE to climb a mountain to find a tough puzzle.

My 2 cents...

How many people in wheelchairs have solved your puzzle and found the cache? How many wheelchair cachers do you know about in your area? If I were wheelchair bound I would not enjoy being thrown a bone, I would hope people would at least try to place a T1 cache in a pleasant location.

I never said I placed it in an unpleasant place! Why do people keep assuming that??? lol

Ya gotta admit, it is pretty funny.

I guess so many T1s are in crappy locations that we, (collective), make that assumption. :lol:

I thought RedFist was tying into 4wheelin_fool's comment:

"Quite a few puzzle makers purposely put the puzzle finals in urban 1.5 terrain areas, so they don't block off any good spots that others may use for traditionals."

So I assumed that RedFist was saying that he agreed with the sentiment. Nice to hear that he's placing T1 caches in pleasant locations, i;e; not a parking lot. I agree that solving a difficult puzzle shouldn't mean excluding less able-bodied cachers.

• Upvote 1

When someone is FTF, but then they take an age to post their log online. Then I dash out, get to GZ, feel all excited that I'm going to be FTF; only to find the log is already signed.

What irks me? People who think they are entitled to be notified if they are not going to be FTF on a cache. Part of the FTF side game is not knowing if you are first and feeling the rush hit you when you find out you are. I cannot understand how such self-entitlement can motivate a person to think that they must be placated by an immediate FTF log, lest they actually be disappointed if they come in second.

What are you on about, "placated by an immediate FTF log"? If you had read my post correctly, you would see that it said, "they take an age to post their log online".

I understand that some people don't have smartphones and so can't post a log until they get home. I don't think it's unreasonable to hope that people will log their FTF within a reasonable amount of time.

I enjoy the thrill of seeing if I'm FTF, or if I have just missed out; but not to get there in the evening and find FTF was at 6:30am (as happened to me once).

I read your post quite easily and understood what you said. In regard to why a person may not log immediately or within your preferred amount of time, what if that person was caching all day? What if they had something come up? Perhaps they had to work? Maybe they were just tired and elected to wait a bit? There are a myriad of reasons why a person may not log a cache as fast as you'd like, and it's certainly not unreasonable that they log it when they can or want.

Not everyone plays by your rules or timetable, and they certainly aren't obligated to post find logs as you think they should. As I said, you want to be placated. My point remains.

How many wheelchair cachers do you know about in your area?
I know one geocacher who uses a wheelchair, but he hasn't really done much geocaching since he started using a wheelchair.

I know several geocachers who have used crutches temporarily while recovering from injuries. Some of them were more limited during their recovery than some of the wheelchair users I've known. But they still managed to find all the T1 caches they could.

• Upvote 1
I know one geocacher who uses a wheelchair, but he hasn't really done much geocaching since he started using a wheelchair.

I know several geocachers who have used crutches temporarily while recovering from injuries. Some of them were more limited during their recovery than some of the wheelchair users I've known. But they still managed to find all the T1 caches they could.

Add me to the list of people who used crutches temporarily. A couple of years ago I broke my right leg while searching for a cache. I was really looking forward to getting back out to geocache. Once I could drive again I strapped on my brace and used hiking poles for support. I did not hunt for parking lot caches. I did not suddenly gain an appreciation for caches in unpleasant locations.

>"TFTC" Was the nicest thing I could say.

why not say the truth ??

From the main page :

Share your experience with other treasure seekers.

If more people share what the honost feel, it would be alot better for all of us.

>"TFTC" Was the nicest thing I could say.

why not say the truth ??

From the main page :

Share your experience with other treasure seekers.

If more people share what the honost feel, it would be alot better for all of us.

+1. The trick is to say it in a constructive way. Admittedly it can be hard sometimes. Occasionally the CO does take it as feedback and makes a change. Constructive feedback is also useful to the next finders. I appreciate knowing if there's something unpleasant about the cache or the location. I can move on to other caches that have favourable online logs.

Ya' know, I think I've been flamed in the past for suggesting a miniscule percentage of Geocachers are confined to a wheelchair. :unsure: It is true though, right? I just don't like when people attempt to justify the tens of thousands (maybe even hundreds of thousands by now) lame parking lot micros as being placed on their behalf. That doesn't make me an insensitve meanie, does it? I hope not.

The once frequent poster Geobain is confined to a wheelchair. I don't believe we'll ever see him around here again though due to disputes with the moderating team. :o

- Micros listed as small. Nanos listed as micros. For that matter, most nanos in general.

- Coordinates that are way off.

- CO not responding to a series of DNF when a cache should be easy to find, (indicating the cache is probably missing), or a series of posts indicating that a cache needs maintenance.

- CO not responding to a post when you perform the maintenance (like replacing a full log) for them.

- Caches that have clearly have been abandoned as indicated by several DNF and/or needs maintenance posts with no response from CO.

It would be nice if more cachers would volunteer to adopt these abandoned caches and if there was a way to do so if the original CO never responds to any posts or attempts at contact. Some of these abandoned caches are petty good locations.

• Upvote 1

more IRKS:

people not performing simple minor service and fix -

when the things they find clearly could have been fixed by them self in a few sec,

instead they post a NM and expect the CO erge out and fix it before the next seeker pops up..

it is like : MOM I dropped my glass of milk, you better come wipe it up,

since it is your glass, I expect you to come pick it up for me..

too much of this kind of behaviour, grow up.. help a bit, even if it is not your cache or your problem.

people not performing simple minor service and fix

I will go miles out of my way to repair what I consider to be a quality cache.

But I won't go five feet to repair a crappy one.

Doing maintenance on a crappy cache is one way a cache owner learns which containers suck.

Doing that work for them robs them of the opportunity for an education.

The end result is that they continue to place crappy caches.

Don't be a crappy cache enabler.

• Upvote 1

Doing maintenance on a crappy cache is one way a cache owner learns which containers suck.

++++++++1!

++++++++1!

+ 1/2

I'd normally say +1, but I know I am sometimes an enabler and don't want to be a hypocrite. For me, I sometimes help because I like to help people. I don't always consider further ramifications. Sometimes, I do think exactly as the above though.

Discourtesy.

Not saying Thank You when someone repairs your cache.

Holding a TB too long.

Overly sensitive people. Those that demand respect rather than earning it.

Overly sensitive? Is expecting a simple thank-you too much these days?

I see it both ways. People being too rude to be polite, and people being too arrogant demanding respect.

• Upvote 1

Ya' know, I think I've been flamed in the past for suggesting a miniscule percentage of Geocachers are confined to a wheelchair. :unsure: It is true though, right? I just don't like when people attempt to justify the tens of thousands (maybe even hundreds of thousands by now) lame parking lot micros as being placed on their behalf. That doesn't make me an insensitve meanie, does it? I hope not.

The once frequent poster Geobain is confined to a wheelchair. I don't believe we'll ever see him around here again though due to disputes with the moderating team. :o

Wheelchair Use in the United States

An estimated 1.6 million Americans residing outside of institutions use wheelchairs, according to 199495 data from the National Health Interview Survey on Disability (NHIS-D).

Population of US 314 million.

If my math is right that's .5%

How many estimated cachers in the US? 10,000? That would mean 50 wheelchair cachers. One per state (if my math and geo population guesstimate is right).

An estimated 1.6 million Americans residing outside of institutions use wheelchairs, according to 199495 data from the National Health Interview Survey on Disability (NHIS-D).

How many estimated cachers in the US? 10,000? That would mean 50 wheelchair cachers. One per state (if my math and geo population guesstimate is right).

Math seemed good until you got to the part about there only being 10K cachers in the US.

By definition, nanos are micros. It irks me when COs list nanos as 'other'.

I'd like to see a better classification so that we could know if we're looking for something maybe "C" battery size; or closer to AA, which I would call micro; or something really nano like the 1/2" x 1/2" magnetic capsule I found stuck on a sign post.

• Upvote 1

Math seemed good until you got to the part about there only being 10K cachers in the US.

Agreed.

Straight from www.geocaching.com.

There are 2,093,002 active geocaches and over 5 million geocachers worldwide.

I think the US has more than 10k out of those 5million+ cachers. Pretty safe bet...

Agreed.

Straight from www.geocaching.com.

There are 2,093,002 active geocaches and over 5 million geocachers worldwide.

I think the US has more than 10k out of those 5million+ cachers. Pretty safe bet...

Sooooo... here comes the complete guess on my part. Of the 5+ million cachers worldwide, perhaps 3 million of them are in the US. I know that's a US centric view but it may hold up as being directionally close given some of the scatter graphs I've seen in the past about cache placements. Yeah, I could be way off.

BUT... if it's 3 million then your math would then be corrected as follows:

How many estimated cachers in the US? 3,000,000? That would mean 15000 wheelchair cachers. Three hundred per state (if my math and geo population guesstimate is right).

How many estimated cachers in the US? 3,000,000? That would mean 15000 wheelchair cachers. Three hundred per state (if my math and geo population guesstimate is right).

I don't have anything against wheelchair cachers or wheelchair-accessible caches, but the assumption that the proportion of wheelchair cachers to total cachers is the same as wheelchair users to total population is not necessarily correct. In fact I suspect that the ratio of wheelchair cachers to all geocachers is much smaller than the ratio in the average population.
  • Upvote 1

I don't have anything against wheelchair cachers or wheelchair-accessible caches, but the assumption that the proportion of wheelchair cachers to total cachers is the same as wheelchair users to total population is not necessarily correct. In fact I suspect that the ratio of wheelchair cachers to all geocachers is much smaller than the ratio in the average population.

I agree, I was just updating the prior poster's math w/ #s from www.geocaching.com.

Discourtesy.

Not saying Thank You when someone repairs your cache.

Holding a TB too long.

Overly sensitive people. Those that demand respect rather than earning it.

Overly sensitive? Is expecting a simple thank-you too much these days?

I see it both ways. People being too rude to be polite, and people being too arrogant demanding respect.

Arrogant and demanding respect? Oh, please. It's called basic manners. People are totally spoiled these days. Sadly, your attitude is so common these days. Saying thank-you will not give you a hernia and should be automatic. Saying thank-you is alot quicker than spending time trying to rationalize why you didn't.

I used to volunteer for new parents, answering emails and phone calls. 90% of the emails I answered I didn't get any response, even though they were always thoughtful, included relevant urls etc. Some emails took 1/2 hour to compose. Guess what, I stopped doing it. Does that make me arrogant? Actually, no, but it does show I'm not a masochist.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I read your post quite easily and understood what you said. In regard to why a person may not log immediately or within your preferred amount of time, what if that person was caching all day? What if they had something come up? Perhaps they had to work? Maybe they were just tired and elected to wait a bit? There are a myriad of reasons why a person may not log a cache as fast as you'd like, and it's certainly not unreasonable that they log it when they can or want.

Not everyone plays by your rules or timetable, and they certainly aren't obligated to post find logs as you think they should. As I said, you want to be placated. My point remains.

I don't have rules or a timetable, I just have a preference and an opinion. I haven't said that people are obligated to do anything. There are no rules or guidelines for the FTF side game.

I resent the accusation that I want to be placated and have some feeling of self-entitlement.

I'm not sure why you took such issue with my original post and read things into it which weren't there.

I resent the accusation that I want to be placated and have some feeling of self-entitlement.

Resent it all you want. The mere fact that you even brought up the whole logging a FTF in a timely manner shows that you do have a feeling of self-entitlement, at least when it comes to FTFs.

Resent it all you want. The mere fact that you even brought up the whole logging a FTF in a timely manner shows that you do have a feeling of self-entitlement, at least when it comes to FTFs.

It sounds like you're reading intent where it may not exist. He stated quite clearly that he PREFERS people to log FTFs quickly. He didn't say that he disrespects or dislikes people who wait "too long". Just that he gets irk'd. That is 100% **his** reaction to an external stimulus. He never asked others to change their behavior.

Arrogant and demanding respect? Oh, please. It's called basic manners. People are totally spoiled these days. Sadly, your attitude is so common these days. Saying thank-you will not give you a hernia and should be automatic. Saying thank-you is alot quicker than spending time trying to rationalize why you didn't.

There do seem to be some posters to the fora who think that their opinion is the only acceptable one. That would seem to me to be arrogant. Perhaps a bit more latitude that others might have other opinions that do not agree with yours might possibly be equally as appropriate? An example that I saw today suggested that someone who is truly miffed should not have to abide by the forum guidelines. Sorry. Guidelines apply to all.

I am happy that you have established rules concerning "basic manners". I am happy that that works for you. Do not expect everyone to follow your "guidelines". Those are your guidelines. They only apply to you. Telling another cacher that he/she does not meet your guidelines for civility might be considered "arrogant"? Live with your guidelines for yourself. Do not try to impose your guidelines on others.

It sounds like you're reading intent where it may not exist. He stated quite clearly that he PREFERS people to log FTFs quickly. He didn't say that he disrespects or dislikes people who wait "too long". Just that he gets irk'd. That is 100% **his** reaction to an external stimulus. He never asked others to change their behavior.

I get that completely, My point was, the mere fact that it irks him means that he feels some level of entitlement. If he didn't have any, he wouldn't get irked by it at all.

+1

It is irksome to me when those who have a shared account individually post on the forums. I read a few posts by someone, then the next several posts by that name make me believe the account holder was given a lobotomy.

I get that completely, My point was, the mere fact that it irks him means that he feels some level of entitlement. If he didn't have any, he wouldn't get irked by it at all.

I get your distinction but still disagree. He may be the type to hope for FTFs and love getting them. It doesn't necessarily mean that he feels as they he is 'entitled' to them.

It *could* mean both but doesn't "have to* mean both.

I get your distinction but still disagree. He may be the type to hope for FTFs and love getting them. It doesn't necessarily mean that he feels as they he is 'entitled' to them.

It *could* mean both but doesn't "have to* mean both.

Fair enough.

I agree with A&T

Although I am an FTF hound I would never get upset if someone didn't post their log for hours, days or even weeks. I've driven far, paid lotsa money for ferries, gone well out of my way for an FTF and part of the excitement is not knowing until you unroll a blank log if you are indeed first but being irked by the fact that someone not logging in what you consider a timely manner stinks of self centerdness.

- Micros listed as small. Nanos listed as micros. For that matter, most nanos in general.

By definition, nanos are micros. It irks me when COs list nanos as 'other'.

There could be a separate size listing for "nano", though "micro" covers it (anything smaller than a "small"). At least, most nanos I've found mentioned in the description that it was a nano. One even (that I didn't find) had it in the title (Are you serious....A Nano in the woods???? (15 finds, 16 dnf, to date)). That was why I couldn't find it (I figured).

I don't like all the "Other" size caches out there. Some, I know, are somewhat vague as to what constitutes the cache, but for the most part, caches fall into one of the 4 sizes.

I agree with A&T

Although I am an FTF hound I would never get upset if someone didn't post their log for hours, days or even weeks. I've driven far, paid lotsa money for ferries, gone well out of my way for an FTF and part of the excitement is not knowing until you unroll a blank log if you are indeed first but being irked by the fact that someone not logging in what you consider a timely manner stinks of self centerdness.

+1

Good job, but you have a ways to go. :D

I agree with A&T

+1

Good job, but you have a ways to go. :D

I have my moments :lol:

The thing that irks me most is when cachers start whingeing and moaning about other cachers not playing the game the way they think it should be done; not signing caches; not solving puzzles properly; racing (or not) for FTFs; hogging an area by placing too many caches; placing micros/nanos; placing LPC caches; the list goes on...

I haven't read any of the previous responses because I initially thought from the title that this was just going to be another moaning thread and so avoided it - but now I see it isn't and may make for an interesting talk at the event.

To think of that as "taking an age" really is a first world problem. You know, someone finds a cache on their way to work, logs it when they get home (and most of us have lives over and above jumping on gc.com the very nanosecond we get home from work). Maybe they were out that evening and logged it the following day. Maybe they were caching while on holiday and have limited internet access, or found the cache on the way to the airport or something. Maybe they just felt like leaving a carrot dangling for other FTF hounds. There are all sorts of reasons why someone might not log their find as quickly as you might like.

It comes back to, if you play the FTF game you have to deal with the fact that a cache with no logs isn't necessarily an unfound cache.