What Irks you most?

1 hour ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Every dealt with pre-teen and teenage boys, especially at an activity they've been taken to that only an adult wants to do?

Have you tried preparing well enough that you can actually keep the attention of a group of young men instead of dragging them into the woods just so you can check the box that says "Took them Geocaching"?

Fine, maybe some of them have no interest.  Why short change the ones that might enjoy this hobby?

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, egroeg said:

Have you tried preparing well enough that you can actually keep the attention of a group of young men instead of dragging them into the woods just so you can check the box that says "Took them Geocaching"?

Fine, maybe some of them have no interest.  Why short change the ones that might enjoy this hobby?

Yep, I have, and nope, I'm not that guy. I think everyone who's read me here knows that.

And, why short-change those other kids? Because in my opinion Scouting is not the right environment for this hobby. I'll take my son's friends out, but only because we can cherry-pick them. They MIGHT all end up being scouting friends, but with an open group? No. As Jeff sorta said above: not enough control over the consequences, and the consequences will and have fallen on all of you, my fellow COs.

I'm done on this matter for now.

6 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

What am I missing? What is irksome about scouts being introduced to geocaching and doing a hike for a cache? And asking about one that they're having trouble finding so it could hopefully be certain of a find when they go?

I dropped a TB (not mine) off at a cache once. It was a bear attached to a tag. A group of scouts were the next to visit. The next log by one of the scouts read, "We kidnapped the bear". The bear has never been seen again in geocaching. They ready did steal it. I contacted that scout and explained it needed to be placed in another cache. No answer. I contacted the one who appeared to be the scout leader. No answer.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
7 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

For me when I posted in response to Colleda's note, my irk was the general nature of Scout Caching, from the perspective of a long-time Merit Badge Counselor.

It's a sanctioned, organized effort to inappropriately take groups of frequently undisciplined, uninterested youth to our carefully crafted and maintained game pieces, with an adult admonition to treat them with respect.

Could be a great thing if it only involved scouts truly interested and involved, but it usually isn't.

And...Cub Scouts?

I suspect Colleda's 'irk' was similar in nature.

That's it.

• Helpful 1

It's an iffy area. There's conceptually great value in teaching them in this context; it's essentially orienteering. But at the same time you're dealing with other people's property that has to be maintained and people outside the group circle also participate. 

A better context for teaching might be to set up private temporary geocaches to teach them about how it works, so you're not affecting other people's involvement if something bad does happen. it sucks. But yeah there can always be some bad seeds. It's not a given that someone in the group will be a problem child with it, but it is a chance, and happens, so why risk it within the realm of official geocaching?  Mimic the experience. If they enjoy it, they could take it up on their own, likely with parents or friends until they're older. If they don't like it, then no harm. The mock activity can be the introduction to geocaching, but leave the actual geocaching to hobbyists instead of teaching lessons...

Plenty of kids do play this activity; but yeah, typically with family and responsible adults/authority (the type and persistence that leaders like scout leaders don't have).  *shrug* just thinking out loud.

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

A better context for teaching might be to set up private temporary geocaches to each them about how it works, so you're not affecting other people's involvement

When I've taught kids geocaching, I've started with a brief "classroom" explanation with as many hands-on examples as possible. Then I took them to a nearby spot outside where I had hidden a large number of geocaches (of various sizes, camouflage types, and difficulties). Then I had them raise there hands when they had spotted a container, and I had them take turns pointing out the containers they had spotted.

If there was a followup geocaching hike with actual geocaches, then I took them to a park some distance away from the local neighborhood where we could find several geocaches while hiking a couple miles. I never showed them the local neighborhood geocaches for the reasons already mentioned. Even if I trusted all my kids completely, I didn't trust their friends and schoolmates who heard about "toys" in containers hidden in the neighborhood.

• Upvote 6

An Irk with this forum. I make a mistake with an entry and notice it straight after posting and go back to fix it. Then it is displayed, "Edited just now by Goldenwattle".

Why don't we get a few minutes (say 5 minutes) to go back and make a correction without that being displayed? I have been on other forums where a few minutes are allowed to correct the post. The result here is that I then often copy what I have written and start again, deleting the old post. This shouldn't be necessary.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
3 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Why don't we get a few minutes (say 5 minutes) to go back and make a correction without that being displayed? I have been on other forums where a few minutes are allowed to correct the post.

or it's based on whether the post has been seen by anyone else. If the comment has been loaded to any browser then editing shows no change. That might vary if there are email notifications with content, but yeah, there are other options. It's a minor irk tho :)

On 3/6/2023 at 7:10 PM, egroeg said:

I must be the only optimist around here.

You aren't the only one. I have a few caches that have been found by different boy scout groups. Can't remember any problems ever developing because of this. Geocaching has really slowed down around here so there aren't many issues these days. In the past however, it was mostly new cachers that messed things up. 

As far as boy scouts being interested in geocaching,, they won't be for long if what they're going for is a trail of micros. ;)

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2

I have low expectations when searching for a cache left by a scout. The official scouting rules to earn a geocaching merit badge only require maintenance for 3 months. Once they get the badge, there's no further maintenance or interest. I'm sure there are some who continue with the sport. But the majority do not. 

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
35 minutes ago, JohnCNA said:

I have low expectations when searching for a cache left by a scout. The official scouting rules to earn a geocaching merit badge only require maintenance for 3 months. Once they get the badge, there's no further maintenance or interest. I'm sure there are some who continue with the sport. But the majority do not. 

That's my experience with scout caches. Leave and forget. Deteriorating caches and logs.

• Upvote 3
On 3/6/2023 at 5:51 PM, TeamRabbitRun said:

... Because in my opinion Scouting is not the right environment for this hobby.  ...

I don't have  definite opinion here HOWEVER I understand that both Boy Scouts & Girl Scouts have merit badges for geocaching. Therefore, unless you get their national/international bodies to remove that, there is nothing that can be done. Best case is to try to get troops to only take interested kids out, I guess.

On 3/6/2023 at 6:21 PM, Goldenwattle said:

I dropped a TB (not mine) off at a cache once. It was a bear attached to a tag. A group of scouts were the next to visit. The next log by one of the scouts read, "We kidnapped the bear". The bear has never been seen again in geocaching. They ready did steal it. I contacted that scout and explained it needed to be placed in another cache. No answer. I contacted the one who appeared to be the scout leader. No answer.

While admittedly that stinks, it happens ALL THE TIME with newbie cachers and I guess muggles. I think my rate of disappearing TBs is about 90%. I just don't send any out any more. And when I pick up TBs I try to only ever drop in apparently secure premium caches. I have a near 100% rate of TBs that I watch or drop disappearing from basic caches, with only the exception of difficult puzzle caches! So I agree that was a crappy experience but it could just as easily happen with a school group or just a random bunch of kids caching or anyone, really! I too have written people who logged TBs and kept them with no reply.

A good story though: recently was irked about a local CO who hoards TBs. Tracked down a really nice one I carried across the country for a friend. Saw who picked it up, 6 months or maybe a year back. Inactive cacher with low finds. Wrote them. A week later I got a message asking about what was attached. I replied and they said they have it and will drop it off. A rare TB "victory"! And then there was the CO who archived a cache I had just stuck a fancy geocoin and TB in and he said he'd remove them and he held onto them for a year, leaving them listed in the archived cache, despite being active and occasional messages from me. Some folks think TBs don't matter (as if they were free?!). Irks me no end that people don't treat them as they should - someone else paid for them, treat with respect, etc.

On 3/6/2023 at 8:10 PM, egroeg said:

I must be the only optimist around here.

No, there's two of us :D  [Correction: apparently three!] ;)

Edited by CCFwasG
correction
  • Funny 2
18 hours ago, JohnCNA said:

Yep, I agree...   The other 2/3rds, who used to be a FTF monster would give that audible grumble that there might be a new cache nearby whenever a "scout" cache came out.

There's one near me that hasn't been accurate (coordinates are on the wrong side of the creek...) since it was placed in 2020.

No NMs since 2020 either...   I do know that some have attempted to contact them, but logs alone should show whoever placed it there's issues.

I just had a stent put in on my birthday (yay me...), so guess I'm not correcting that soon.

23 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Yep, I agree...   The other 2/3rds, who used to be a FTF monster would give that audible grumble that there might be a new cache nearby whenever a "scout" cache came out.

There's one near me that hasn't been accurate (coordinates are on the wrong side of the creek...) since it was placed in 2020.

No NMs since 2020 either...   I do know that some have attempted to contact them, but logs alone should show whoever placed it there's issues.

I just had a stent put in on my birthday (yay me...), so guess I'm not correcting that soon.

I admit to mostly ignoring caches placed by scouting groups.

Happy Belated Birthday :antenna: and good luck with recovery!

• Upvote 2

In updating my GSAK database, I noticed an archived cache owned by "null". I'd never seen this before. Looking into it, a user named DevilDuck1 had their account deleted and GSAK reads delete_user as null data. The user in question had multiple active hides from 2002 which were automatically archived and locked as part of the standard account deletion process. Apparently when this occurs it doesn't create an Archived log. And the fact that this one cacher hid multiple early hides is geo-history that has now been erased, in the name of "privacy."

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

I just came across a lengthy log. Half the log was a good, cache-specific description of their adventure. It's longer than most logs out there in general, even on that cache. The other half of the log was, by its own admission, "An AI generated intro to beef up our word count". It's basically cheating to win a game you're already winning - a game for which there is no prize, which is itself a subgame of another game for which there is no prize for first place. It's competitive to the point of mental illness.

• Upvote 6
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

Ammo cans that go missing and are replaced by a cap-n-cap or pill bottle.

If your cache was a regular and now it's a Micro, archive the old listing and create a new one. I filter out most Micros. When your cache stopped being a Regular it stopped being a cache I wanted to Find.

Don't simply change the cache size. Those who found it when it was a Regular deserve that in their stats, and a Micro likewise. 

And if you won't follow the above suggestion then at least update the darn listing. I shouldn't have to read the logs to find out what I'm really searching for.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, JL_HSTRE said:

If your cache was a regular and now it's a Micro, archive the old listing and create a new one.

Since we're in the "irk" thread...

It irks me when listings are churned, when listings are archived and replaced with new ones, when the caches are essentially the same. Sure, you replaced the container with a different kind of container, or hid it under an unnatural pile of stones instead of an unnatural pile of sticks, but if the reason for the cache is the same (the hike, the view, the historic location, the public art, whatever), then it's the same cache. Update the listing. Don't archive it and relist the same cache with a new GC code.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, niraD said:

Sure, you replaced the container with a different kind of container, or hid it under an unnatural pile of stones instead of an unnatural pile of sticks

IMO it depends on how much of a change. A minor change to hide style, moving the cache five feet away, replacing the original ammo can with a plastic ammo can or large lock-n-lock doesn't necessitate a new listing because the listing is effectively unchanged.

A 4/4 Micro in a tree then the tree falls over, resulting in no more climbing and an easy find at eye level is a big change. People looking for tree climbers need no longer seek. People who can't climb trees can now find.

A change from a Regular to a Micro is big change because it determines whether or not those of us who skip most/all Micros, especially Micros in the woods, will skip the cache.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, JL_HSTRE said:

A change from a Regular to a Micro is big change because it determines whether or not those of us who skip most/all Micros, especially Micros in the woods, will skip the cache.

As long as the cache is correctly rated for how it is at the time, that doesn't matter. If it's a micro you don't find it (I avoid many micro caches too, when there's a choice), but if at the time it's a regular, you find it.

I have changed ratings on caches. I do this along with regular maintenance. It's part of upkeep. D/T mostly gets changed in the weeks/months after a cache is published, as I take comments and DNFs aboard. A 1.5D is not that with several (proper) DNFs for instance. I also look at the cacher's experience when considering this. Once a cache has 'settled in', I rarely change D/T ratings. A cache should not be published and the ratings are set in concrete from day one.

The only exception to that was a cache that gave problems and I moved it about. Only maybe two or three metres, but the terrain changed from T1 (flat sealed path and cache at about head height when sitting in a wheelchair) to T3; a slippery scramble and underneath. It's now back at the T1 position (a creature kept evicting it from the T3 spot), with the third cache container and it's been that way for ages now, and finally is giving no problems. T1/T3, they are not 'precious' ratings. If I changed a T5 rating, that might be more of a problem, for people collecting those finds for challenges.

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

IMO it depends on how much of a change.

Yep. And it depends on what the point of the cache is.

A 4/4 Micro in a tree then the tree falls over, resulting in no more climbing and an easy find at eye level is a big change. People looking for tree climbers need no longer seek. People who can't climb trees can now find.

Sure, if the point of the cache was the tree climb, and the tree is now gone and the container is at eye level, then that is a new cache. Archive the old listing and create a new one.

I've never hidden a cache where the point of the cache was the size of the container. I've found very few caches where the point of the cache was the size of the container. With those very few exceptions, a new container with a different size just means the listing needs to be edited so the size shown is correct for the new container. That's what I've done when I've hidden a new container that was larger or smaller than the original. Archiving and relisting because the new container is a different size is just churn, unless the point of the cache was the size of the container.

• Upvote 3
17 hours ago, niraD said:

I've never hidden a cache where the point of the cache was the size of the container. I've found very few caches where the point of the cache was the size of the container. With those very few exceptions, a new container with a different size just means the listing needs to be edited so the size shown is correct for the new container. That's what I've done when I've hidden a new container that was larger or smaller than the original. Archiving and relisting because the new container is a different size is just churn, unless the point of the cache was the size of the container.

If it's all about "the point of the cache" then shouldn't the cache be archived, even if in good shape, if it's primary reason goes away? The cool tree dies, the overlook becomes obscured, the cool rock formation collapses?

It's important to me the Regular stays Regular in my stats, especially as those become a dying breed. Updating the size to Micro takes that away from me.

It really annoyed me in my early years of geocaching that the first four or five Large caches I found where listed as Not Chosen or Other instead of Large.

Someone else talked about correcting D/T based on finder feedback. That I agree with. If you hide a 1.5/1.5 but it soon becomes apparent it was actually a 3/3 the people who found it with the lower rating deserve the higher, more accurate rating. If the cache is overrated and reduced to a more accurate rating, again any previous finders didn't deserve the higher rating anyway. Correcting a mistake is one thing. Changing the D/T because of changes in access or placement that cause an accurate rating to become inaccurate, even if "the point of the cache" is the same, warrants a new cache.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Someone else talked about correcting D/T based on finder feedback. That I agree with. If you hide a 1.5/1.5 but it soon becomes apparent it was actually a 3/3 the people who found it with the lower rating deserve the higher, more accurate rating. If the cache is overrated and reduced to a more accurate rating, again any previous finders didn't deserve the higher rating anyway. Correcting a mistake is one thing. Changing the D/T because of changes in access or placement that cause an accurate rating to become inaccurate, even if "the point of the cache" is the same, warrants a new cache.

Well ... one of my irks is people who regard ratings as a kind of "reward" instead of what they IMHO should be: An indication of the cache's current challenge level w.r.t. difficulty and terrain.

E.g. I had a cache high up in a tree. You also needed equipment (like a ladder) to reach the lowest branches. So I rated it as T5. After a year or so, the tree fell down in a storm, and I placed a new container in a nearby tree. That one is easier to climb and you no longer need the ladder. So I changed it to T4.5. For me, there is no reason to archive and republish the cache because of that. I don't care about the stats of others.

• Surprised 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, baer2006 said:

E.g. I had a cache high up in a tree. You also needed equipment (like a ladder) to reach the lowest branches. So I rated it as T5. After a year or so, the tree fell down in a storm, and I placed a new container in a nearby tree. That one is easier to climb and you no longer need the ladder. So I changed it to T4.5. For me, there is no reason to archive and republish the cache because of that. I don't care about the stats of others.

I had that. 3 iterations of the same cache. But when the tree first fell down, it was a slight change in T. When that tree collapsed, I archived it and published a new one a few meters away in a different tree. Different hide, different tree, different cache, I'm not going to really mess up others' stats for that.

Ultimately it's a decision by the CO as to whether it's a new experience or the same one with an accuracy adjustment. HQ appears to side with the "archive and post a new one" if it's sufficiently different from the old. And that's a pretty subjective call.  IMO, saying "who cares about other people's stats" is as bad as "never change it even if it's inaccurate because it messes up people's stats". The sweet spot is somewhere in between.

6 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

If it's all about "the point of the cache" then shouldn't the cache be archived, even if in good shape, if it's primary reason goes away? The cool tree dies, the overlook becomes obscured, the cool rock formation collapses?

If the point of the cache is having a container in good shape, then leave it alone.

If the point of the cache is something that no longer exists, then what would be the point of leaving the cache in place? It's time to archive it, unless perhaps you want to turn the cache into a memorial for the public sculpture or historic building or rare tree or whatever. But even that seems kinda iffy to me.

6 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Someone else talked about correcting D/T based on finder feedback. That I agree with. If you hide a 1.5/1.5 but it soon becomes apparent it was actually a 3/3 the people who found it with the lower rating deserve the higher, more accurate rating. If the cache is overrated and reduced to a more accurate rating, again any previous finders didn't deserve the higher rating anyway.

Difficulty ratings, terrain ratings, size ratings, attributes, etc., are not something that finders "deserve" or "earn" in any way whatsoever. They are communication tools for the CO to let potential seekers know generally what to expect from the cache experience.

1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

Ultimately it's a decision by the CO as to whether it's a new experience or the same one with an accuracy adjustment. HQ appears to side with the "archive and post a new one" if it's sufficiently different from the old. And that's a pretty subjective call.  IMO, saying "who cares about other people's stats" is as bad as "never change it even if it's inaccurate because it messes up people's stats". The sweet spot is somewhere in between.

I honestly don't care about past finders' stats. But the cache is part of past finders' histories, and if they go back to the listing, they should see something familiar (or at least, something similar to what they experienced). It doesn't have to be exactly the same, but it should be similar in most of the important details. (And yes, that's a subjective call on the part of the CO.)

• Upvote 3
10 hours ago, niraD said:

I honestly don't care about past finders' stats. But the cache is part of past finders' histories, and if they go back to the listing, they should see something familiar (or at least, something similar to what they experienced). It doesn't have to be exactly the same, but it should be similar in most of the important details. (And yes, that's a subjective call on the part of the CO.)

Yep. And I have no issue with seeing another listing almost identical; no harm in that. But returning to see an entirely different listing than what you found is a bit different than that...

There's subjectivity in deciding how 'different' a listing should be before publishing a new one. That debate could rage into the foreseeable future :P

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, niraD said:

Difficulty ratings, terrain ratings, size ratings, attributes, etc., are not something that finders "deserve" or "earn" in any way whatsoever. They are communication tools for the CO to let potential seekers know generally what to expect from the cache experience.

Those are not mutually exclusive.

Much as logs should both inform the CO and other seekers about the status of the cache while also recording your journey. They are a communication tool AND a form of personal recordkeeping. 

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 1
11 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Yep. And I have no issue with seeing another listing almost identical; no harm in that. But returning to see an entirely different listing than what you found is a bit different than that...

There's subjectivity in deciding how 'different' a listing should be before publishing a new one. That debate could rage into the foreseeable future :P

One of our finds has had its name, description, location and size changed post adoption, the new CO only kept the GC code and hidden date the same.

• Surprised 4
11 minutes ago, me N u said:

One of our finds has had its name, description, location and size changed post adoption, the new CO only kept the GC code and hidden date the same.

What's the point of adopting a cache if you're going to change everything about it? Just let it be archived.

• Upvote 2
On 3/3/2023 at 10:25 AM, thebruce0 said:

OR A STICKER, which crumples and folds and comes loose and takes up WAY too much space in a micro... irk!

There are also those who leave a small mass-produced nametag or card with their name on it, inside the cache, rather than sign or stamp it. An odd form of self-promotion?

But then again, I find it weird when old log sheets are left inside caches by the CO's, rather than remove them (and take them home & check the names?) when they have to replace the log sheet.

47 minutes ago, mysterion604 said:

There are also those who leave a small mass-produced nametag or card with their name on it, inside the cache, rather than sign or stamp it. An odd form of self-promotion?

Are you sure the finders left these cards rather than sign/stamp the log? They could be signature items. Personal signature items left by other geocachers are the only things I trade for. While most of the signature items in my collection are durable tokens of some sort, some are cards.

47 minutes ago, mysterion604 said:

But then again, I find it weird when old log sheets are left inside caches by the CO's, rather than remove them (and take them home & check the names?) when they have to replace the log sheet.

I've found a few caches with multiple log books. The oldest log books were full of handwritten logs. Even though there was no more room for logs in them, I still enjoyed reading through those old handwritten logs.

• Upvote 3
1 minute ago, niraD said:

Are you sure the finders left these cards rather than sign/stamp the log? They could be signature items. Personal signature items left by other geocachers are the only things I trade for. While most of the signature items in my collection are durable tokens of some sort, some are cards.

Well, I know one case where a cacher has personalized cards, probably bought from official Geocaching sources. But I know of at least one other where the person's just putting in some kind of homemade chits with their name (even if that's just a paper scrap), rather than signing. If the CO checks, sure the person's name is there, so on that level, it is conformation of the find.

• Surprised 2
On 3/18/2023 at 1:49 AM, niraD said:

Since we're in the "irk" thread...

It irks me when listings are churned, when listings are archived and replaced with new ones, when the caches are essentially the same. Sure, you replaced the container with a different kind of container, or hid it under an unnatural pile of stones instead of an unnatural pile of sticks, but if the reason for the cache is the same (the hike, the view, the historic location, the public art, whatever), then it's the same cache. Update the listing. Don't archive it and relist the same cache with a new GC code.

I agree with you, but I know people who encourage this, simply because they get more finds.

But in my experience, they don't appreciate it with FPs even if it is enhanced. I had an IMHO pretty good cache that didn't work well since it was too easy to cheat. I archived it and built a better version of it. No, it didn't help. It was just another logg.

When a geocacher "finds" my cache and logs it online, then says "I forgot a pen". First, what geocacher goes geocaching without a pen?? Second, did you actually find it, or just logging online to say that you did. I've had some folks get pretty pissy about me telling them that I will delete their log unless they go back and actually sign the physical log.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

One other irk: When someone logs a cache with "K", :wacko:, ,,,, or "found". Most of my cache containers or hand-made; caches that I've spent some amount of time building or are in a unique location. Please, give me something more than a letter or a emoji. I've spent time on it, can you?

Here is an actual log left at one of my caches:

THANK YOU LORD, I CAN NOW DIE A HAPPY MAN!! Take one??? Please...How bout I stopped counting a long time ago,(seriously at least 10 visits) previous logs of mine lay out only some of the frustration I had with this one. Altogether this was the most time I've ever put into looking for a single cache, all searching combined, I approximate around 3-4 hours. The only reason why I continued to torture myself was because Buster4cat had recently found it, so I knew it had to be there. Anyhow fast forward to this afternoon and my daughter and I are in the area to get her a haircut, and we had 10 minutes to kill and of course I wanted to look. For whatever reason I finally ditched the GPSr, which I relied way too much on every time I came here, the only place I could ever get within a few feet of a GZ that stayed halfway put was nowhere near where we found the cache. Finally the Geocaching Overlords smiled on us, and we had the devious container in hand at long last!! I was literally shaking, my daughter was elated as we ran back up to the car to sign the log. I was in such a state of shock and disbelief I left my phone on hood of the car and drove off!! Anyhow despite my heavy grousing and ongoing consternation, perseverance and sheer stubbornness finally paid off. I still would rate this higher than a D/3, I shudder to think what a Kitt5 D/4 would look like, let alone a D/5. Favorite point earned!! SL TFTC

I'm not asking that everyone leaves something this long, but please just tell me what you thought of it or your experience hiking to it.....

Edited by kitt5
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

It irks me when someone  reports in their online log that there was no physical log. CO checks the cache, and sure enough the log went missing. Followed by a warning: "Remember, if you don't sign the log you can't claim a Find!"

Then wouldn't the cacher report to the CO that there was no log, then add a piece of paper (and sign it) to the log? Most experienced cachers would.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
51 minutes ago, kitt5 said:

One other irk: When someone logs a cache with "K", :wacko:, ,,,, or "found". Most of my cache containers or hand-made; caches that I've spent some amount of time building or are in a unique location. Please, give me something more than a letter or a emoji. I've spent time on it, can you?

I agree. Dislike just a TFTC, or even just a single letter. Doh!!!

53 minutes ago, kitt5 said:

the only place I could ever get within a few feet of a GZ that stayed halfway put was nowhere near where we found the cache.

If the coordinates are out, I hope you mentioned this in the log, and gave the coordinates you had at 'GZ'.

54 minutes ago, kitt5 said:

I finally ditched the GPSr, which I relied way too much on

That sometimes helps. I have been caching with a friend who that day didn't have a GPS and he has made the find. Why! Because I trusted the coordinates too much, and my friend, without a GPS to guide him, just went to the obvious spot.

• Helpful 1
59 minutes ago, kitt5 said:

Then wouldn't the cacher report to the CO that there was no log, then add a piece of paper (and sign it) to the log? Most experienced cachers would.

But how do you know that what you found was the real cache if there was no log to sign?  Maybe a deliberate red herring or maybe a trash container discarded by a muggle.

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

But how do you know that what you found was the real cache if there was no log to sign?  Maybe a deliberate red herring or maybe a trash container discarded by a muggle.

True. But in over 1000 finds, I've never found such a thing.

• Funny 1
26 minutes ago, kitt5 said:

True. But in over 1000 finds, I've never found such a thing.

I was once  hunting for a cache and found a container containing a log sheet with several names written.  I turned it over (actually i dropped it and it fell other side up) to see "This isn't the cache. keep looking!"

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
7 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

Yep, "No log" is rare. Wet, molding science projects with/or multiple add-on paper pieces more common.

Years ago some thought they were clever leaving bisons all over trees, or that ammo can fulla film cans, and all have a piece of paper inside, with most saying "Try Again".  All paper pieces have signatures.  I'll just leave and add to Ignore...

I ruined a series of guard rail hides once when the crushed water bottle "caches" were thrown in my bag as trash. :D   We CITO every day.

We find plastic containers a lot in "tourist" areas near hides, and unless there's a cheap toy or cacher's card inside it's junk and CITO'd.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

But how do you know that what you found was the real cache if there was no log to sign?  Maybe a deliberate red herring or maybe a trash container discarded by a muggle.

Those 'red herrings' are irks for me.

I have had someone find an empty lunchbox, about twenty metres from my rather obvious hide. They claimed the find, but said the log was missing. I went and checked and my cache was in good condition, still with a log, under its pile of rocks at the coordinates, with a clear area around the hide. As I said, obvious hide. I asked them to change their log to a DNF or a note. I finally had to delete their log.

8 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

I was once  hunting for a cache and found a container containing a log sheet with several names written.  I turned it over (actually i dropped it and it fell other side up) to see "This isn't the cache. keep looking!"

I've found a few like that. Someone not finding a cache and then throwing down can also cause this kind of stuff to happen. I imagine on the whole though, adding a logsheet, and making note of it in your online found log, helps more than it hurts.