What Irks you most?

On 4/1/2021 at 2:21 PM, baer2006 said:

What did irk me, were the logs I received for the multi (a 7-stage,  5 km, T3 affair with several "interesting" locations) and the bonus. The multi got two words + an emoji, while the bonus got only an emoji. Nothing about the experience, and not a single word mentioning, let alone thanking for, the "live support".

I certainly understand your irk, but your intro made me think of a much lesser irk. When someone asks me for help -- whether it's a puzzle or a search, whether I'm the owner or just their PAF, whether it's a major cache or just a random micro -- I'm kinda disappointed when I'm not thanked for the assist in their log. I try to at least tip my cap when someone gives me a hand in one way or another, but I never see anyone else doing it for me. I feel unappreciated!

• Upvote 3
21 minutes ago, BendSinister said:

It looks like I'm more accepting of Adventure Labs than many around here

I don't think it's Adventure Labs as per say, but rather the fact they do count as five finds. If they only counted as one find, I think there would be very few gripes. Just another fun type of cache to do. They do bloat the tally.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
25 minutes ago, BendSinister said:

It looks like I'm more accepting of Adventure Labs than many around here, but they have given rise to one relatively trivial irk I rarely seen mentioned:

They cause serious bloating of the Hides tally on one's profile.

For many, that's a bigger distortion, proportionately, than 5-rather-than-1 finds. And unlike finds, you can't delete these. (Nor even put them up for adoption!)

I seem to almost daily find myself thinking "I haven't hidden that many caches, surely?" :)

Yes, I've been startled a couple of times by the same thing as my profile says I have 65 hides when I've only created 55 (3 of them adopted) and 2 ALs. Creating each of the ALs probably took less time and effort than many of my other hides yet they each count as 5. But even though they're enumerated in the profile, you can't actually click on them to see what they are. That's kept secret.

• Upvote 1

This isn't something that Irks me, but could hardcore troll/irk others, I will never do this: Daft distances travelled from posted coordinates for a cache.
So Puzzle caches need to have their final within 2 miles of the posted coordinates but could a troll have intermediate stages further away? If so it could be a pricey journey internationally back and forth across countries.
A multi cache or letterbox cache at the moment doesn't have that 2 mile distance rule as far as I can research so you could totally do that long distance punishment across countries. This wouldn't be so bad as part of a teamwork cache but is still a special type of evil.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
7 minutes ago, CheekyBrit said:

This isn't something that Irks me, but could hardcore troll/irk others, I will never do this: Daft distances travelled from posted coordinates for a cache.
So Puzzle caches need to have their final within 2 miles of the posted coordinates but could a troll have intermediate stages further away? If so it could be a pricey journey internationally back and forth across countries.
A multi cache or letterbox cache at the moment doesn't have that 2 mile distance rule as far as I can research so you could totally do that long distance punishment across countries. This wouldn't be so bad as part of a teamwork cache but is still a special type of evil.

They still have to convince the reviewer they can maintain it if it's far from home.

• Upvote 2
39 minutes ago, CheekyBrit said:

You don't have to find every cache.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 3
7 hours ago, CheekyBrit said:

I would certainly want to know ahead of time if the multicache was only going to take me a few miles or 100 miles. 

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, CheekyBrit said:

There's a 6-stage multi (GCK2GM) with its first location in Sydney's Royal Botanical Gardens. A couple of years ago I was in Sydney doing some other caches around the harbour and included this one on my list, printing out the description so I'd have the formulas for the coordinates of the later waypoints. I should have paid closer attention to what I was printing out, though, for the first line of the description says, "The ideal cache to break the monotony of an interstate road trip." Yes, the subsequent waypoints are spread down the coast with the final in Melbourne's gardens some 1000km away. I twigged after I'd found the first waypoint and stuck the numbers into the coordinates for the second. Nothing wrong with the cache and nothing trollish about its owner, it was my own fault for not paying close enough attention, and if I ever decide to drive down the coast road to Melbourne I'll certainly be doing it along the way.

I own a couple of caches that involve some degree of travelling (tens of kilometres) but their virtual waypoints are visible so that should be apparent from just looking at the small map on the cache page. One, a multi, has its three waypoints on railway stations spread along some 18km of track, with the final a T4 hike up from one of those stations, and the other, a field puzzle mystery, has its bogus coordinates less than a hundred metres from the final but the six waypoints that have to be visited to solve the puzzle are scattered around a 5km radius, with a couple requiring a boat. Reading the description before you set out is always a good idea with my caches.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, CheekyBrit said:

What has a troll to do with this? Not one of the definitions of a troll that I know. I have done several multicaches just like that, although all in Australia. I drove 12,000kms for one. They were some of the most fun multicaches that I have done. As long as it is explained where this multi will take you, as the ones I did explained, there is no problem. You don't have to do them. Your choice, but let those of us who enjoy doing such multicaches, have our fun. I completed one recently, which I began in 2016.

The FTF finder for one of them even took a plane flight to get FTF. Locally, that's still talked about at times :laughing:.

If you really think a 'troll' (call them by their proper names, armchair geocachers) published this cache and it isn't real, ignore the cache. Only do caches by geocachers you know and trust. I do know of an armchair logger who after making a long list of armchair finds, published an armchair cache. Amazing :rolleyes:, no-one ever found it! Who would have ever imaged that :drama:.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
5 hours ago, Lostboy1966 said:

Write at least a single complete sentence in your log, dangit!

What also irks me is people that reply to a forum topic with an opinion that probably has been mentioned 1000 times already. ;)

Well, they don't know this has been mentioned "1000times already", and they are entitled to their irk :laughing:.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
6 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

the final a T4 hike up from one of those stations

I'm guessing that's up from Wondabyne Station. On my last trip to Sydney I visited that station and walked up the track to find SideTracked - Wondabyne. I logged the Earth cache too while there. It was the first time I had visited a request only station and found that a bit of an adventure. I wasn't the only person getting off there. A railway employee got off too to put up new posters and a local got off with his shopping and wheeled that to the attached wharf and his moared boat. I was the only person to catch the train when I left, and waved at the train to stop. The driver honked to let me know I had been seen. The only station in Australia without road access. How did that fare in the recent floods, do you know?

Wondabyne Rail Station.jpg

Wondabyne walking track.jpg

Edited by Goldenwattle
6 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

How did that fare in the recent floods, do you know?

Yes, that's the station (the cache is The Great Train Heist GC6JMDK). The final is at the top of the climb and then a few hundred metres of bush-bashing along the ridgeline to a vantage point overlooking the waterway. Mullet Creek is a tidal estuary near the mouth of the Hawkesbury with very little catchment upstream, so the floods didn't bother it apart from the water now having a decided brownish tinge.

• Upvote 1

2 things. First of all, I hate private yard caches. I always look at the attributes on a cache site if it's on a private property. If it is, I'm not going into that direction. I hate the 30KM bike rides to find out that it's just another annoying yard cache and the owner didn't bother using the correct attribute. 

Second, I'm not as active anymore as I used to. The reason why I started Geocaching was the learning factor. I always enjoyed the places it took me to and enjoyed reading the descriptions of it. I learned a lot about places near my home I never knew the existence of. And while travelling it was a nice way to learn something about the place, other than the normal touristy stuff. But nowadays, at least here in the Netherlands, there are too many caches which have a site that's starts with: My kid enjoys caching, so we've hidden one ourselves near our home. Enjoy!

No story about an object or place nearby, no brain teaser, nothing what enriches the mind. Just we like caching, so here's one....

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

I am not sure why this irks me so much but I hate micros or nanos in the woods.  I mean come on, if I had to hike a trail to get to it then it shouldn't be any smaller than small size size cache and regular with a real logbook is better.  They are great for urban or neighborhood hides, but take some time to make a good cache if it is going off the beaten path into the woods, unless it is something right off a worn or paved pathway.  You are already digging around the forest floor, decaying logs, etc you don't need to be searching for a micro under the leaves and soil, probably going to get kicked around and moved by other cachers anyway and not put back where it was.  Just my $.02 :grin:

• Upvote 7
  • Funny 1

Folks ask a question in the forums (sometimes fibbing in the process...), don't like the answers given, then delete their OP.  Vaporized thread.

Though at least they came back...  Many ask a question, get and answer, and never return to see it.  :huh:

A shade worse than the ones who see it with no thanks/response.  Common courtesy used to be a thing...

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 5/23/2013 at 6:01 PM, fbingha said:

I got a good one..

Those who find oodles of caches but don't give back by hiding <and maintaining> their own.

I'm new and don't have oodles of finds (18 right now to be exact) but I know I'll only be living in the same place for another year then moving. Does that make me a jerk or should I suck it up and find someone to adopt my theoretical cache.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, adastra25 said:

I'm new and don't have oodles of finds (18 right now to be exact) but I know I'll only be living in the same place for another year then moving. Does that make me a jerk or should I suck it up and find someone to adopt my theoretical cache.

I had found about 800 caches before I felt able to place a cache, so no, don't feel bad about not placing a cache with only 18 finds. (Although chances are you aren't feeling bad about this :laughing:.) I respect you for that. Too many people place a cache before getting enough experience. Also sensible of you if you will be moving soon, as you might then not be able to maintain any caches you leave behind.

Find lots of caches of different types to get experience, and then one day if the situation allows place a cache. That is, if you want to. Welcome to geocaching by the way :).

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Goldenwattle said:

I had found about 800 caches before I felt able to place a cache, so no, don't feel bad about not placing a cache with only 18 finds. (Although chances are you aren't feeling bad about this :laughing:.) I respect you for that. Too many people place a cache before getting enough experience. Also sensible of you if you will be moving soon, as you might then not be able to maintain any caches you leave behind.

Find lots of caches of different types to get experience, and then one day if the situation allows place a cache. That is, if you want to. Welcome to geocaching by the way :).

Thank you! I'm hoping that they'll let me build an Adventure Lab; was thinking of an area I frequent that's a small town that could use some love after two out of the last three summer seasons were cancelled...

1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

I had found about 800 caches before I felt able to place a cache, so no, don't feel bad about not placing a cache with only 18 finds. (Although chances are you aren't feeling bad about this :laughing:.) I respect you for that. Too many people place a cache before getting enough experience.

In contrast, I hid my first cache before I had 100 finds. I learned a lot trying to maintain that cache, but I wouldn't have learned those things just by finding more caches. Some things you learn by owning and maintaining a cache, so you may as well jump in and hide one once you're familiar enough with the game that you know what kind of cache you'd like to own and maintain.

Also sensible of you if you will be moving soon, as you might then not be able to maintain any caches you leave behind.

Yes, adastra25, the fact that you're moving is likely to be more of an issue. But the guidelines state, "Temporary caches intended to stay active for fewer than three months will not be published." So if you're planning for your cache to be available for at least 3 months, then you don't really need to worry about archiving it when you move out of the area.

Find lots of caches of different types to get experience, and then one day if the situation allows place a cache.

On the subject of finding various cache types, I agree with Goldenwattle. Don't worry about the number of caches you've found before you hide one of your own. Finding a variety of different types and styles will teach you more than finding more caches of the types and styles you've already found.

But ultimately, you'll never learn everything about hiding caches without actually hiding caches.

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

OK, I'll bite,

What'd you do?

My very first cache, GC1CWWA, is a long-ish multi with lots of virtual stages. When I placed it in 2008, it was still somewhat common to also include an English description. However, the listing was long enough as it is, I didn't really expect a lot of interest from foreign cachers anyway, so I just added a short statement, that I could provide an English version of the listing on request.

Fast forward to 2021 ... almost 13 years after publication, the very first request for an English listing came in last week! Of course it hit me unprepared ;). It took me a few hours in the evening, but I had the translation ready in time for the weekend, when the cachers wanted to go for the cache. As a source of the translation, I used an HTML copy of the listing, which I had saved as a "backup" a while ago. What I had totally failed to remember, is that I had moved the final in spring last year and not updated my HTML backup.

So I sent them a really good English version of the listing ... with the wrong formulas to calculate the final :o!

No log on my cache yet, because we (the cachers and I) first wanted to sort out what went wrong. Now that we know it, I of course offered that they can log a "find" anyway, if they like. So not really much harm done, but still very embarrassing for me :wacko: .

• Funny 2
1 hour ago, baer2006 said:

My very first cache, GC1CWWA, is a long-ish multi with lots of virtual stages. When I placed it in 2008, it was still somewhat common to also include an English description. However, the listing was long enough as it is, I didn't really expect a lot of interest from foreign cachers anyway, so I just added a short statement, that I could provide an English version of the listing on request.

Fast forward to 2021 ... almost 13 years after publication, the very first request for an English listing came in last week! Of course it hit me unprepared ;). It took me a few hours in the evening, but I had the translation ready in time for the weekend, when the cachers wanted to go for the cache. As a source of the translation, I used an HTML copy of the listing, which I had saved as a "backup" a while ago. What I had totally failed to remember, is that I had moved the final in spring last year and not updated my HTML backup.

So I sent them a really good English version of the listing ... with the wrong formulas to calculate the final :o!

No log on my cache yet, because we (the cachers and I) first wanted to sort out what went wrong. Now that we know it, I of course offered that they can log a "find" anyway, if they like. So not really much harm done, but still very embarrassing for me :wacko: .

Hysterical.

I sympathize - there you are with an awesome SENIOR cache, well respected, being sought by hopeful foreigners, and you stand ready to provide an awesome service, translating a complex listing for them - You're a hero all around!

Then..... Ouch.

I'm laughing WITH you on this one; we've all made head-smacking mistakes.

-------------

I don't know if this kind of stuff shows up over on your side of the planet, but there was a popular newspaper comic strip here in the US called "The Far Side" by Gary Larson. This is one of my favorites, and hangs above my desk at work as a constant warning:

Awe.thumb.jpg.a8ae92411f37c967ea3a9ced1a503a71.jpg

Wunderbar, einfach wunderbar. Soviel dazu, ihnen Ehrfurcht zu vermitteln.

• Funny 2

Off Topic...

9 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

I don't know if this kind of stuff shows up over on your side of the planet, but there was a popular newspaper comic strip here in the US called "The Far Side" by Gary Larson.

Actually, I have (... *counting* ...) 12 paperbacks and one large hard-cover with "Far Side" cartoons on my bookshelf :D! Just my kind of humor ;) .

• Upvote 2
On 4/16/2021 at 9:00 AM, BOTOCH said:

I am not sure why this irks me so much but I hate micros or nanos in the woods.  I mean come on, if I had to hike a trail to get to it then it shouldn't be any smaller than small size size cache and regular with a real logbook is better.  They are great for urban or neighborhood hides, but take some time to make a good cache if it is going off the beaten path into the woods, unless it is something right off a worn or paved pathway.  You are already digging around the forest floor, decaying logs, etc you don't need to be searching for a micro under the leaves and soil, probably going to get kicked around and moved by other cachers anyway and not put back where it was.  Just my $.02 :grin:

SUCH a waste of prime real estate in my opinion. Even if it is a stage of a multi, at least make it a small. Save the micros and nanos for urban settings. Just adding my $.02, even though I couldn't leave that change in a micro. ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
6 minutes ago, Lostboy1966 said:

SUCH a waste of prime real estate in my opinion. Even if it is a stage of a multi, at least make it a small. Save the micros and nanos for urban settings. Just adding my $.02, even though I couldn't leave that change in a micro. ;)

No offense, but this makes no sense IMO.  It's a stage, that's eventually leading you to a container.    :)

I have over two dozen multis not completed due to maintenance, with most now archived (been ill...), and the COs used containers at the stages.

The best multis I've done had dog tags for stages, with the coordinates to the next stage on each  ( a local trackable "proxy" company used to make them) . 

Simple, and never needed "maintenance"...

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 4/18/2021 at 7:26 PM, adastra25 said:

I move every couple of years. We have 239 hides, but apart from earthcaches and one enduring mystery cache in Alabama, we've picked up all our hides when we've left. Even if you know you're leaving in a year, that's still plenty of time to hide a cache, get some finds (and feedback on how you did), then take those lessons learned with you to your next location.

We've hidden a few different versions of the same puzzle in different places - when you have a new audience, the same material can work more than once.

• Helpful 2
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

No offense, but this makes no sense IMO.  It's a stage, that's eventually leading you to a container.    :)

I have over two dozen multis not completed due to maintenance, with most now archived (been ill...), and the COs used containers at the stages.

The best multis I've done had dog tags for stages, with the coordinates to the next stage on each  ( a local trackable "proxy" company used to make them) . 

Simple, and never needed "maintenance"...

Yes.  I have a six stage mystery cache.  First stage is small.  Final is regular.  Four stages are micros.  About six-hundred feet of climb on the round trip.  Doesn't get a lot of finds.  25 finds in 15 years.  But it does have 36% favorites.  Everyone has enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, Lostboy1966 said:

My hides start with the location, which then dictates the size of cache I can reasonably conceal there. For one of them, the hiding place is inside a honeycombed cave close to a popular walking track so I needed something I could conceal inside the honeycombing. A mini decon container (technically a small but right at the bottom end of the small range) was perfect for the job.

Honeycombing.jpg.905532a392dd88ce4e7bf9df50e0b57c.jpg

There's enough information in the hint and description to stop this being a needle in a haystack (another reason to read the description). Anyway it's not a very big cave to search...

Cave.jpg.3ebf3b5423a337a07354664b4085616d.jpg

• Helpful 2
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

After seeing many "replacement" logs added to non-final stages of multi-stage caches, I've become a fan of non-container stages like metal tags for non-final stages.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Spudyr said:

Oh my... so many things but what irks me the most is when someone submits a fake found it log, you wont see it that often (and its never happened to me), but if you look in some of the more popular caches, and in remote places too, there are often many newbies who use those geocache found it logs to boost their overall found it count. I absolutely hate it, and I think it is unimaginably disrespectful. All the logs will say will be "tftc", and the fake logger gets away with it as easy as that... really annoying. Definitely the biggest irk for me! 

How do you know they're fake logs? Did you check the physical log? 

31 minutes ago, Spudyr said:

You pretty much know that a person with 2 finds did not go to everest to find a geocache... i think you can agree with that ;)

But someone going to everest might hear that there's a geocache there and decide to see what this "geocaching" thing is about.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Spudyr said:

Ok... not believeing it though. Tftc isnt enough to log a cache like that. There wasnt photos for proof either, and in locations like that, I think that small things like that would DEFINITELY be required. Im not going to argue here, this is only my opinion.

A perfect example of this is the new geocache in the Marianas Trench.  Groundspeak mentioned possible new geocachers which to me means the explorers who are going to go down there will be signing the geocache and they'll have zero finds until that one. 

4 minutes ago, Spudyr said:

There wasnt photos for proof either, and in locations like that, I think that small things like that would DEFINITELY be required.

That would be against the guidelines unless it's a special cache.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Helpful 1
1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

You didn't make anyone mad. We're having a discussion and I'm disagreeing with you. 

Ok. I dont want to argue about this and i just thought that maybe a little more than tftc on a cache somewhere remote and treacherous would be great.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

The best multis I've done had dog tags for stages, with the coordinates to the next stage on each  

First I have heard of this and really like this idea (have only done 2 Multi-Caches).  Being a woodworker I could see possibly laser engraving some wooden coins to be places in specific areas for the next coordinates.  These discussions bring on some ideas for sure.  

• Upvote 1

TB’s that people “drop” into a cache, making the effort and time to find said cache, only to not find the TB because it was a “Virtual” TB.

I’m still a newbie, maybe there is a way to tell on the cache page whether the TB in inventory is virtual or not? If there isn’t, I wish there was. ????‍♀️

• Upvote 2
15 hours ago, niraD said:

After seeing many "replacement" logs added to non-final stages of multi-stage caches, I've become a fan of non-container stages like metal tags for non-final stages.

Yep.  I was just talking about this with another today.  Happens a lot.   :)

New cachers add a signed piece of some paper to the first stage's container,  log it found, and add a Needs Maintenance.  :laughing:  

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 2
7 hours ago, BOTOCH said:

First I have heard of this and really like this idea (have only done 2 Multi-Caches).  Being a woodworker I could see possibly laser engraving some wooden coins to be places in specific areas for the next coordinates.  These discussions bring on some ideas for sure.  

One of our favorite caches had petroglyphs at stages (rocks brought in from home...).   A rock will last you your lifetime.   :)

• Upvote 1
On 4/19/2021 at 6:26 PM, Lostboy1966 said:

"No offense, but this makes no sense IMO.  It's a stage, that's eventually leading you to a container.    

The best multis I've done had dog tags for stages, with the coordinates to the next stage on each  ( a local trackable "proxy" company used to make them) . 

Simple, and never needed "maintenance"..."

Adding on to what Cerberus replied above, sometimes all you can use at a stage is a micro.  I found a really neat structure to use as part of one of my multis as I was exploring the undeveloped part of the park, and the only container size that would work on that structure was a micro.  There just wasn't any room anywhere on it for a small.  The final is an ammo can.  Most of my multis close to home are in city parks or on city maintained rails to trails walkways.  Micros are sometimes the only thing I could place that wouldn't be easily discovered by some kids just wandering off the trails and into the unmaintained areas.

The D/T ratings for those multis is reflected in the higher D/T ratings.  A multi with all small or larger containers would subsequently have a lower D/T rating (per my thoughts about how to rate my caches).  I've done quite a few multis over my 10+ years and struggle to remember any multi more than 3 stages long that uses small or larger for each stage.  Maybe 5?

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, BendSinister said:

My brand new (slightly tongue-in-check and probably kinda 'niche') irk is the fact that somehow many, many geocachers struggle to find the location notes in the Adventure Lab app after they have left the location in question.

Yeah, the term "journal" doesn't rally convey the existence of completion content - even you describe it 'location notes'.  Journal implies something we write in the app rather than information presented to us on completing a location

Hopefully, someone who first learns this will never forget :P Really, they have the info in hand while they send that "I forgot" message, heh