What Irks you most?

On 11/13/2020 at 6:48 AM, ecanderson said:

b) improperly used expression: ground zero is where the cache is, not the posted coordinates.  In its original context, it's where it went boom, not where you tried to aim it.

I think it IS used properly.  GZ is NOT the cache co-ords - that's the target location.  My GZ is where my GPSr says 0 feet - "where my shot went boom" - which may or may not be on/at the target location.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
1 minute ago, Clongo_Rongo said:

lol - the reviewer forgot the date to send out 0  - we are still in lockdown -  128516984_10226077937723520_4240282924100908312_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=cdL551RkS4MAX_ZPxql&_nc_oc=AQmBadbS_MfzC5TmGz_a9etfJM2EBU_VIYI7PNDKzTSESBuhSKca8X-X2TyCd7_BY3VK0rudDQJwDpAv4pMx0_y1&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=9fb78a86682517e034964fbd5aa01daf&oe=5FE6B701 

I still can't understand how not publishing new caches is helping in any way to fight the virus. It's only annoying. Other caches are still available so I can't see any difference between an older one and any new one. Sadly some people hunting for monthly FTF's are going to lose their streak.

• Helpful 2
1 minute ago, sernikk said:

I still can't understand how not publishing new caches is helping in any way to fight the virus. [...]  Sadly some people hunting for monthly FTF's are going to lose their streak.

I believe the reason given in the UK is that new caches encourage unnecessary journeys and are more likely to result in gatherings of cachers - which are both counter to current guidelines.

• Upvote 2
28 minutes ago, sernikk said:

I still can't understand how not publishing new caches is helping in any way to fight the virus. It's only annoying. Other caches are still available so I can't see any difference between an older one and any new one. Sadly some people hunting for monthly FTF's are going to lose their streak.

The reason given by the reviewers here when we were in lockdown during April and May was that new caches are much more likely to see several cachers arrive at GZ at the same time. Such FTF mini-events are a fairly common occurrence here on new urban caches and likely more so in larger cities. It even happens on more remote ones, like GC8W6W9, published last July, that went unfound for five days then saw three of us arrive at the same time.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, sernikk said:

I still can't understand how not publishing new caches is helping in any way to fight the virus. It's only annoying.

Other caches are still available so I can't see any difference between an older one and any new one.

Sadly some people hunting for monthly FTF's are going to lose their streak.

You answered your own query.  :D   FTFs and the mini events that follow...

Our Reviewers have been publishing caches shortly after our first "lockdown", but they were sure to keep free of towns or industrial areas (in woods mostly), so people are kept at a minimum.

- Something we've known for years now ... if it's more than a quarter mile from parking, or any terrain over 2, visitors are sparse.    

A couple days ago, a 3T woods cache that I could see my truck from has been out since August, and I'm only the fifth finder...   :)

5 hours ago, Clongo_Rongo said:

lol - the reviewer forgot the date to send out 0  - we are still in lockdown -   

I've seen this in my area, COs who won't check and enable their caches after a reviewer canned message like the one posted. Claiming COVID lockdown as the issue, but regularly go out to find geocaches during lockdown. 

• Surprised 1
25 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

I've seen this in my area, COs who won't check and enable their caches after a reviewer canned message like the one posted. Claiming COVID lockdown as the issue, but regularly go out to find geocaches during lockdown. 

Different places have different restrictions and COs different circumstances, but in the April-May lockdown here we were required to stay within our local community which for me was the Woy Woy Peninsula. Of the active caches I owned then, only 12 were within that area and I did go and visit some of them as part of our permitted exercise, but with no unfound caches close by it became a 61 day finding slump for me. With the exception of the four I disabled that were in areas closed off, the rest I left available for others in their own local areas to find but, had any issues arisen, I'd have just had to disable them and wait it out.

I could easily imagine someone in different circumstances with plenty of findable caches within their permitted exercise area but all their own hides outside it.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I have several Irks. 

First after spending hours searching for the perfect location, designing and building a cache, and hiking in to place it, Someone who finds it just logs "K", or a smiley face emoji. Seriously? tell me something about your experience, what you liked about the area or hike or even the container!

Second, Cachers that just go around plopping down geocaches for the sake of filling an empty spot. Each of my (80+) caches are well thought out and designed specifically for the exact location and to have someone putting a pill bottle just any old place, limits my possibilities for designing a way cool cache.

Third, Skirt Lifter caches. Totally boring. What? your spouse went shopping and you decided to place a cache in the parking lot while you wait??

Fourth. Newbies who look for my 4 or 5D cache for 5 minutes, can't find it and then report that it needs maintenance, or even worse, that it needs archived ( yes, this has happened more than once).

Fifth. Reviewers that don't take into consideration that a newbie (with less than 25 caches under their belt) say that my cache is missing. Most of my hides you can be looking right at it and not know that it is a cache.

That's all for now...

• Upvote 5
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, kitt5 said:

I have several Irks. 

First after spending hours searching for the perfect location, designing and building a cache, and hiking in to place it, Someone who finds it just logs "K", or a smiley face emoji. Seriously? tell me something about your experience, what you liked about the area or hike or even the container!

Second, Cachers that just go around plopping down geocaches for the sake of filling an empty spot. Each of my (80+) caches are well thought out and designed specifically for the exact location and to have someone putting a pill bottle just any old place, limits my possibilities for designing a way cool cache.

Third, Skirt Lifter caches. Totally boring. What? your spouse went shopping and you decided to place a cache in the parking lot while you wait??

Fourth. Newbies who look for my 4 or 5D cache for 5 minutes, can't find it and then report that it needs maintenance, or even worse, that it needs archived ( yes, this has happened more than once).

Fifth. Reviewers that don't take into consideration that a newbie (with less than 25 caches under their belt) say that my cache is missing. Most of my hides you can be looking right at it and not know that it is a cache.

That's all for now...

Yep, all that can be annoying (irksome) but over the years I've learned to shrug them off and do whatever I can to keep my caches maintained and viable. When one decides to become a CO one must accept that it comes with the territory.

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, kitt5 said:

I have several Irks. 

That's all for now...

What's the word count that you're looking for from the cacher? In my case, I'm not a big talker or wordsmith. So trying to write multiple paragraphs on the spot about how I'm feeling about a nice (or cool) hike... My brain goes blank.

1 hour ago, ScribblyBear said:

What's the word count that you're looking for from the cacher? In my case, I'm not a big talker or wordsmith. So trying to write multiple paragraphs on the spot about how I'm feeling about a nice (or cool) hike... My brain goes blank.

As much as you were willing to write here is more than we see a lot of the time from finders, and would be appreciated!

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

People who continue to log caches, that have crumbled to bits, and DON'T log a NM. The six NMs that have been logged since 2012 have been ignored, and then finally when someone comes along and logs a NA (me) and removes the shards of plastic, two people, not beginners, come along and log finds, even though  there is now nothing there to find. And knowing they will get away with this.

The reviewer has now disabled the cache.

• Upvote 3
On 12/11/2020 at 8:29 PM, ScribblyBear said:

You don't have to come up with multiple paragraph  (a complete sentence is more than a lot of logs) *on the spot*.  Finding the cache and logging the cache can be separate activities, one done while in the field, and the other once you're home with a computer or tablet.  I much prefer logging through the website than on an app.   If you're finding more caches in a day that you can distinctly remember, you can write down a note in the app or small notebook with just a couple of words that will remind you of the find once you get home.  

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 5
1 hour ago, on4bam said:

Another irk:

CO's creating a series and naming it "longcachenameseries1"...  making it impossible to select the next cache from the list on the GPS.  Why not putting the number before the name "1longcachenameseries" is all it takes.

That's what I did when I started a power trail along a bike bike; put the number first, so that it can be seen on a GPS. (10 Majura Cycleway)

It's a powertrail with many contributors. Someone criticised putting the number first, and obviously though it should be put last, like many annoying powertrails (unless the name is very short, and then it doesn't matter). I ignored them and left the number first, so that EVERYONE can see the number, not only blinkered phone users.

Found itFound it

12/11/2020

Well , guess this wasn't placed with permission , as we were followed in by security who took this one after we found it, besides have to have a school 0arking permit to even park here ..oh an security said pokemon isnt allowed to be played here either as that was open on my phone .. TFTC & icon_smile.gif ..XXXX was here today , .....Thanks?? ( I think )

Shouldn't this get NM or even NA?

• Upvote 3
  • Surprised 1
1 hour ago, on4bam said:

I don't think it's done on purpose but simply something some are not aware of. I guess phone apps always show the whole cachename (overflowing to a second line?).

Both the apps I have (the official iPhone App and Cachly) still truncate cache names, though both show more characters than my Garmin.

BE78E9AA-08D5-4100-B954-C80D5B101BCE.thumb.png.fa22ce6aa6904b4adad0e635c5e8a220.png

4509A7C9-F162-40ED-B465-7A36BD000A04.thumb.png.51fa894c2233e4de8a1e78b61bdb6708.png

2 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

[...] not only blinkered phone users.

Interesting choice of words.  Given the context, ‘slightly less blinkered phone users’ might have been more appropriate? ?

• Funny 2
3 hours ago, on4bam said:

OK, same problem then.

Exporting with the GarminExport macro in GSAK gives me a lot of flexibility exporting but moving the last characters of a cache name to the front is not an option.

But you can have GSAK shorten long names - "Snoqualmie Valley Trail XX" to "SVT XX".  I can't give the exact place as my GSAK is running a long process right now.

9 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

Interesting choice of words.  Given the context, ‘slightly less blinkered phone users’ might have been more appropriate? ?

My words, "Someone criticised putting the number first, and obviously though it should be put last, like many annoying powertrails (unless the name is very short, and then it doesn't matter). I ignored them and left the number first, so that EVERYONE can see the number, not only blinkered phone users. "

No, "blinkered phone users." is correct. Some don't see beyond their phone screen; that others, using GPSs, don't see the whole name of the cache, as they (using a phone) are seeing. Some people who cache have never used a GPS, and think the whole caching experience is centred on using a phone app. For them, there is no other possibility. Therefore, 'blinkered' - unseeing, is correct.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

I didn’t mean to fan the flames, I was simply amused by the irony of calling someone ‘blinkered’ when they literally see more than you - i.e. more  of the cache name. ?‍♂️

I meant they were 'blinkered', because like blinkered horses, all they 'see' is what is directly in front of them; in this case, their phone screen.

• Surprised 1
2 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Yes I did. When I click on a cache on the map on the phone, I see the whole name.

I see the full name when I click on a cache on my Garmin Oregon 600, I just see less in the lists than I do with a phone app.

But ... I was forgetting that the names were far more restricted on my old eTrex.  (Though I think using the %smart tag when loading from GSAK managed to retain most of the digits in a cache name.)

What irks you most? 

Simple 1.5 or less cache descriptions that have wordy blather about movies, sports, local history, etc. , but have nothing about the cache itself,  no CO entries, no maintenance fixes (multiple throwdowns), or any possible property concerns (for those of us who won't trespass...).

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

Ammo cans with moldy contents, and owners who think because they've used an ammo can it never needs to be checked and maintained.

Certainly a gripe we can all agree with, but let's not excuse the related, opposite gripe: seekers that don't get ammo cans closed properly.

• Upvote 6
1 hour ago, mysterion604 said:

I thought I was too new to have an "irk" but here it is.

IF people are not supposed to put food or candy in caches (which sometimes they do), THEN why would people think it is okay to put band-aids, or even COVID face masks into caches?

Nobody needs swag like that.

Welcome to this odd hobby.   :laughing:     

I place hvy. dty. band aids in tiny zip locks that fit into some distance woods hides, after noticing people were ripping apart our zip-pouch first aid kits left as swag, and just taking the band-aids.   Can't win...

I NM a cache a while ago that had a folded (like it was worn at one time...) paper mask inside.

I carry nitrile gloves with me, so signed the log, and in my NM said it may be best to just bring another container.

• Upvote 1
On 1/12/2021 at 10:11 PM, mysterion604 said:

I thought I was too new to have an "irk" but here it is.

IF people are not supposed to put food or candy in caches (which sometimes they do), THEN why would people think it is okay to put band-aids, or even COVID face masks into caches?

Nobody needs swag like that.

You aren't supposed to leave food or candy because the smell attracts critters AND sometimes the stuff rots or melts. 

Band-aids and face masks don't melt or rot or attract critters, unless they have some yummy smell I haven't noticed before.  Maybe the Band-aids wouldn't be a good idea in heat if the Band-aids are the kind with a gel on them.

I haven't left face masks yet (and if I did, they'd be in their own bags).  I have left Band-aids, a number of times.  I get cuts all the time while caching and assume other people do too.  Sometimes you don't have one with you or you use up your supply and it's nice to replenish on the road.  But I either just leave them or swap for something minimal, like pennies or tiny plastic dinos.  Now, if you're swapping a single Band-aid for a stuffed animal, Houston, we have a problem.

18 minutes ago, frumiousb said:

I haven't left face masks yet (and if I did, they'd be in their own bags).

The one time I found a surgical mask in a cache container, it was obviously used mask in a muggle-style trail box, where the "I have issues, here's a cry for help" persons find it all the time. I didn't touch anything. There may be dangerous bacteria all over it. If you're so ill that you need to wrap your head, it would be better to stay home.

Wait. I guess that guy was cured at that cache. It's a miracle!

Edited by kunarion
  • Funny 1
On 1/12/2021 at 10:11 PM, mysterion604 said:

We've recently run into caches in the middle of nowhere with the blue nitrile gloves stuffed in the container un-packaged.  Given the container was wet inside, navigating around wet, disgusting (moldy) gloves was less than thrilling.  If you are going to put that type of stuff in caches, unless they are in the original manufacturing sealed packaging, no thank you.

Of course, it was been years since we've taken anything out of a cache to keep...

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
15 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I took a notepad once, and the $30 cash was nice, but usually I leave things, rather than take.

Can't say I've found anything charming enough to take in the last couple of years. But I have found some fun things in the past. Here are a few:

20130928-215530.jpg?w=300&zoom=2017.jpg.3caa5f0572d86ef68b9db78ca1df4710.jpgimg_4191a.jpg.5a2f6a9d114683ebd05aedd448f4f3c2.jpg073a-e1420260772617.jpg

I too mostly leave swag. My associated irk (since this is an irk topic) is not enough actual small or larger containers that are in good shape not wet, dirty/moldy, so I feel comfortable leaving stuff. 

Edited by L0ne.R
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:
20 hours ago, on4bam said:

Stuff disappearing from these forums without any explanation.

Agreed.  Just yesterday I had a good explanation for a member's question, and some rea

This is getting ridic

Anyway, more seriously: I find this super-annoying as well, if a whole thread disappears because the thread opener deletes it. AFAIK the right to do so has something to do with your right to have your own uploaded content removed. I have nothing against this right, but it should not extend to the content which others have provided. Like e.g. an answer to a question, which might have involved non-trivial work for the responder. If I post something in a public(!) forum, I must be aware that as soon as I did it, it's out in the public! Maybe my own contributions can be removed, but if it has been quoted - tough luck! Better think before posting next time. It's like standing on a soap box in the town square and throwing your opinions at the listeners. If you later think that you said something stupid, it's too late - you cannot "undo" it. On the internet, you can have your original context removed - fine. So it's no longer findable by search engines, etc. But if that content spawned replies and follow-ups, I really don't understand why these should be deleted as well.

The above paragraph is a case in point ;) . If tonight I come to realize that it's just a silly rant and I should never have written it, I can edit it out of my posting. But if it has been quoted all over the place, I can't do anything about it. And it's my own fault.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 2
36 minutes ago, on4bam said:

A topic starter can delete his/her own topic but should not be allowed to delete posts that they didn't posts themselves.

If it's deleted by a moderator there should at least be an explanation.

The right to delete one's own forum thread was made necessary by expanding privacy laws, including but not limited to GDPR.  The third party forum software limits the moderating team's ability to preserve other geocachers' posts to a deleted thread.  In most cases the moderating team has no prior knowledge of a thread's deletion by the topic starter, and we are just as confused as the rest of the community.  I agree that this can be irksome.

There have been a grand total of two forum threads hidden by moderators during the past year, where there had been contributions to the thread by community members who played no part in the removal of the thread.  One was due to discussion of an unauthorized third party app, and the other was a clever case of social engineering by a spammer.  The most recent of these examples occurred last November.  Given that volume, I don't think that it's worth being irked about.

• Helpful 2
On 3/22/2021 at 1:23 PM, L0ne.R said:

When nanos are listed as size 'small'. 

Woah, never met this kind of caches. Do you have an example? I think this would be commented and noticed by every finder.

On the other hand I saw many nanos listed as "other", when they clearly fit into "micro". But I can understand the logic behind it.

• Upvote 2