What Irks you most?

Those who don't understand STAY AT HOME.  Round here in Central Scotland there are idiots driving to spots to depart into the woods searching for cache.  The guidance here is quite clear.  Stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives, yet some plonkers think they know better than health professionals.  You are permitted one form of exercise per day and that does not mean driving and having your walk

Personally, I've disabled my hides until this is over - and I wish I could block some individuals from my cache in the future - and I think the Geocache website should be suspended until the selfish idiots learn 

Edited by agd1949
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, agd1949 said:

Those who don't understand STAY AT HOME.  Round here in Central Scotland there are idiots driving to spots to depart into the woods searching for cache.  The guidance here is quite clear.  Stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives, yet some plonkers think they know better than health professionals.  You are permitted one form of exercise per day and that does not mean driving and having your walk

Personally, I've disabled my hides until this is over - and I wish I could block some individuals from my cache in the future - and I think the Geocache website should be suspended until the selfish idiots learn 

Sorry it's so strict in your area.  Guess it's needed...     Did you pick them up too ?  They can still be claimed found if you didn't.

We've heard of some countries fining folks for driving past a certain distance.  It couldn't also mean food and a doctor...

"One form of exercise a day - for example a walk, run, or cycle - alone or with members of your household" I feel wasn't meant literally.

- Why can't someone stop at a geocache that wasn't found that day along the way ?    

For example, can folks drive to a store afterwards, or do they have to include it with their "one exercise" ?  

I don't know one dog that only needs to go out once per day either. 

If no one's punching a card, how would anyone even know how many forms of exercise any given day ?

But I understand it's your irk.  :)

Here, we're told to go outside for sun, fresh air, and exercise, as long as we abide by the distancing rules, and wear PPE when needed.

Mental health is just as important as physical, and I guess the government doesn't want a bunch of cabin-fever nutjobs after this is over.  :D

Since much of my area is rural, in order to go for that exercise, we need to drive there.   I stop before/after doctor visits for something unrelated. 

The website is still operating because restrictions n rules aren't the same everywhere.

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

Hum you should check your own country and see what happens when it's not strict enough before making those kinds of comments.

That what irked me.

We have areas that are "strict" here too.  It was needed.   Guess I don't understand what got your goat, err ... irk.   :D

3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Did you pick them up too ?  

The website is still operating because restrictions n rules aren't the same everywhere.

No I did not go near any cache never mind pick them up.  I have quite a few on a Watchlist and one of my own hides and noticed idiots wandering the woods and hills and logging them.

And I would have thought it fairly easy for the techies to suspend the UK website until the inconsiderate "I know better" idiots learn.  

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, dprovan said:

It would seem kinda twisted to go out and pick up your caches because health rules forbid anyone to go to GZ.

True...  But the point was showing   "They can still be claimed found if you didn't...." in response to " Personally, I've disabled my hides until this is over - and I wish I could block some individuals from my cache in the future" , which (to me) seems a little extreme .   

I didn't see any mention of it forbidden to go to GZ.    Please show where you saw that.   Thanks.   :)

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, agd1949 said:

And I would have thought it fairly easy for the techies to suspend the UK website until the inconsiderate "I know better" idiots learn.  

What "UK website"? There's just one website. The local volunteer reviewers can handle local situations, but with few exceptions, the website implements only features that apply to everyone in the world.

• Upvote 2

Threads doing a vanishing act especially after questions are raised.

The Virtual cache - deleted thread seems to be gone. The strangest thing is the TS was the last to reply, one hour later the thread was gone.

The latest answer + the deletion makes me think there was more to the story than the TS wanted us to know.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
3 hours ago, on4bam said:

Threads doing a vanishing act especially after questions are raised.

The Virtual cache - deleted thread seems to be gone. The strangest thing is the TS was the last to reply, one hour later the thread was gone.

The latest answer + the deletion makes me think there was more to the story than the TS wanted us to know.

I guess some people would rather their own logging practices weren’t put under scrutiny whilst questioning the actions of others.  ?

Edited by IceColdUK
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
18 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

I guess some people would rather their own logging practices weren’t put under scrutiny.  ?

Then maybe it's best not to put these practices on a forum ;-)

While I can understand that after a long time the date of a find may not be remembered exactly I find it hard to believe that knowing the cache location there's absolutely nothing that can be done to at least get an approximate date of visit. There's the route traveled, fuel, food, campsites paid, pictures taken and notes with answers and yet no timeframe?

What device is used to find a cache? GPS's keep tracks, most let you "log" on the device. If an app is used there's also the possibility to mark a cache found. Al this leaves a trace and yet "no idea whatsoever when a cache was found? Don't you think that's hard to believe no matter how open your mind is?

1 hour ago, on4bam said:

Then maybe it's best not to put these practices on a forum ;-)

While I can understand that after a long time the date of a find may not be remembered exactly I find it hard to believe that knowing the cache location there's absolutely nothing that can be done to at least get an approximate date of visit. There's the route traveled, fuel, food, campsites paid, pictures taken and notes with answers and yet no timeframe?

What device is used to find a cache? GPS's keep tracks, most let you "log" on the device. If an app is used there's also the possibility to mark a cache found. Al this leaves a trace and yet "no idea whatsoever when a cache was found? Don't you think that's hard to believe no matter how open your mind is?

No mystery...

91F3380F-2DAA-44E9-B0B9-799C27E4DF07.jpeg.e88d551909cfa75234d036fa5e3ebf38.jpeg

E02DD26C-7E99-4165-A890-8B1E86BF646B.thumb.jpeg.8ced1d91d7f56a08aee8047cbe3daf69.jpeg

• Funny 1

??? What are you trying to proof? How does this help in knowing when a cache was found (but not logged online)

Point was a cacher claims he/she is unable to know when the cache was found  because they were traveling. Knowing the location of the cache and the itinerary + dates of payment of services  will get you within a few days of the date the cache was visited.

1 hour ago, on4bam said:

??? What are you trying to proof? How does this help in knowing when a cache was found (but not logged online)

Point was a cacher claims he/she is unable to know when the cache was found  because they were traveling. Knowing the location of the cache and the itinerary + dates of payment of services  will get you within a few days of the date the cache was visited.

I’m suggesting that they know perfectly well when they ‘found’ these caches, but keeping their streak alive is far more important to them.

• Surprised 1
3 hours ago, igator210 said:

This year's tick population. I've pulled off more ticks this year already than I have in the past 5 years combined. Both Dog and Deer Ticks. Luckily, due to permethrin, all but one was dead. 

Yep.  Every wood pile around the properties have mice in 'em.  Two tractor motors were packed too.

Not enough snow or cold weather to kill off a bunch.  Having a tough time keeping up with mouse be-gone duty.    :)

Many fox here have mange, and they're not helping to keep the population down either.  Only saw one long-eared owl in the yard this year.

The mice are the carriers of Lyme disease.   Wanna get rid of Lyme disease, start killing-off mice.

Seems most get tick larva  or nymphs from leaf piles the mice used for bedding,  and spread 'em around in now infected ticks.

I've been spraying permethrin year-round now, after having a couple crawl across my leg a few winters ago hunting (sun melt, and they're active again...).

4 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

No mystery...

91F3380F-2DAA-44E9-B0B9-799C27E4DF07.jpeg.e88d551909cfa75234d036fa5e3ebf38.jpeg

E02DD26C-7E99-4165-A890-8B1E86BF646B.thumb.jpeg.8ced1d91d7f56a08aee8047cbe3daf69.jpeg

In the VERY unlikely case of travelling from South East UK to Cornwall in order to "visit" one virtual cache before returning to London -  at least 300 miles each way, could this be used against them by the police as evidence of ignoring the current lockdown/no unnecessary travel and thus leave them open to prosecution?

In all honesty we know that "Stormy weather" was not visited on the day logged.

16 minutes ago, me N u said:

In all honesty we know that "Stormy weather" was not visited on the day logged.

In the deleted post, they claimed they were logging a virtual with the current date because they couldn’t remember when they actually visited.  Being a bit of a cynic, I’m more inclined to believe they’re logging these Virtuals now to keep their five and half year streak going...

• Upvote 3
  • Surprised 2
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

In the deleted post, they claimed they were logging a virtual with the current date because they couldn’t remember when they actually visited.  Being a bit of a cynic, I’m more inclined to believe they’re logging these Virtuals now to keep their five and half year streak going...

Looks that way and by deleting the thread all trace of the fake logging date are gone... OTOH by deleting the thread I took a look at the TS's statistics and saw more "strange" things. :ph34r: (and it only took a few minutes).

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
12 minutes ago, chasclifton said:

Here is how you keep your numbers up: revisit a cache you found before and make a second "Found it" log.

found it.png

Did he do that enough times to make a significant difference in his numbers? Or just this once? My guess is that it had nothing to do with numbers, just that he thought it was interesting and relevant to report he'd found it again. Likely he didn't even think about his find count and didn't consider the find as anything more valuable than a factual report of what happened.

OOT irk: people that complain about what other people do even when it doesn't affect anyone else at all.

1 hour ago, chasclifton said:

Here is how you keep your numbers up: revisit a cache you found before and make a second "Found it" log.

found it.png

I've been to a few "new" hides (archived, and a churned hide kept in the same darn spot...) to see my signature in a "recycled" log.   :D

8 hours ago, dprovan said:

Did he do that enough times to make a significant difference in his numbers? Or just this once? My guess is that it had nothing to do with numbers, just that he thought it was interesting and relevant to report he'd found it again. Likely he didn't even think about his find count and didn't consider the find as anything more valuable than a factual report of what happened.

At the beginning, I logged found every time I found a cache. Then I realized that other people are more interested in my finds than I am.

The reason why multiple finds were eventually blocked was an API function that incorrectly produced multiple finds under certain conditions.

Edited by arisoft
  • Upvote 1

A pet peeve for me is geocachers and waymarkers that do not put a general location on their profile. I see someone post a new waymark (I don't do much geocaching) and go to their profile and there is no location. For the US, why not at least the state? Or nearest large city?

It's not like I could stalk you  ... I only know your handle on here, not much to go on.

But there are a couple of Waymarking categories where you work with others in other places, but I can't tell if that person is anywhere near where I am needing help at.

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

A pet peeve for me is geocachers and waymarkers that do not put a general location on their profile.

Makes sense. 

Guess it's worse if Waymarking, where one could be in another state (or further) from their home location. 

Geocachers are kinda set by what distance they can maintain their cache (if/when needed).   

Most times I say "here", or "my area" in conversation in these forums, figuring that if someone really cared enough to know where "here" is, it's simply a click on the name.   Just a week or two ago, someone felt that wasn't good enough.     :)

7 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

A pet peeve for me is geocachers and waymarkers that do not put a general location on their profile. I see someone post a new waymark (I don't do much geocaching) and go to their profile and there is no location. For the US, why not at least the state? Or nearest large city?

It's not like I could stalk you  ... I only know your handle on here, not much to go on.

But there are a couple of Waymarking categories where you work with others in other places, but I can't tell if that person is anywhere near where I am needing help at.

I find that strange and irksome too. If they have placed any caches, and even where they find most of their caches (their first finds are usually a good guide) they can't hide where they live, so I don't see the need for secrecy.

Yet,

On 4/12/2020 at 1:24 PM, Keystone said:

.  This long-running thread is hereby declared to be quarantined from all discussion of Covid-19.  Please use this thread to discuss more traditional geocaching irks.  Thank you.

Yet you said:The best use of this thread is to post an irk to get it off the chest of the irked person.

• Surprised 3
2 hours ago, HunterandSamuel said:

Yet,

On 4/12/2020 at 1:24 PM, Keystone said:

.  This long-running thread is hereby declared to be quarantined from all discussion of Covid-19.  Please use this thread to discuss more traditional geocaching irks.  Thank you.

Yet you said:The best use of this thread is to post an irk to get it off the chest of the irked person.

My irk is people who argue with the moderators (or reviewers). I wouldn't recommend it.

Edited by TmdAndGG
  • Upvote 2
  • Funny 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, 'yakinCacher said:

Stealing or losing a trackable.  Don't pick it up if you can't pass it along

I almost lost a trackable a few months back. In the form of a waratah flower (the state emblem), it was handed to me at an event with instructions for it to visit my cache that had won the Geocaching NSW Cache of the Month award, so I took it out there and tucked it into the cache while taking a photo of it.

TBPhoto.jpg.c994d64def5be70cac92dab86440a8a0.jpg

Unfortunately at that moment a gust of wind lifted it up by the petals and carried it over the edge of the cliff. After a long climb down and search along the bottom, I eventually found it (phew!). But sometimes TBs do accidently get lost, even with the best of intentions.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

But sometimes TBs do accidently get lost, even with the best of intentions.

You're right, it was probably a poor choice of words, but I also didn't want to imply that every missing TB is stolen.  I have a TB that was picked up in 2007, then over the course of the next 10 years (yes, a full decade) I received a couple of notes from the same individual saying they put it somewhere safe and lost it, then they found it and would put it in a cache soon, but it appears they must have lost it again.  I just wish people would be a little more respectful in how they handle TBs.

• Upvote 2
On 5/12/2020 at 5:38 PM, TmdAndGG said:

My irk is people who argue with the moderators (or reviewers). I wouldn't recommend it.

I disagree. We need to be able to disagree and express ourselves. Moderators and reviewers are trained on how to react to people who disagree with them. Keystone does a great job, has shown patience beyond what is required in moderator guidelines. I commend him.

• Love 1
On 5/15/2020 at 12:32 AM, barefootjeff said:

I almost lost a trackable a few months back. In the form of a waratah flower (the state emblem), it was handed to me at an event with instructions for it to visit my cache that had won the Geocaching NSW Cache of the Month award, so I took it out there and tucked it into the cache while taking a photo of it.

TBPhoto.jpg.c994d64def5be70cac92dab86440a8a0.jpg

Unfortunately at that moment a gust of wind lifted it up by the petals and carried it over the edge of the cliff. After a long climb down and search along the bottom, I eventually found it (phew!). But sometimes TBs do accidently get lost, even with the best of intentions.

I placed a really nice trackable from Holland (wooden shoes and all) in a geocache hotel in New Jersey.  It was missing for a year but finally showed up again, thankfully. The guy who logged it, also signed the cache log the same day it went missing. I think he/she forgot that he had it. 

It irks me when a CO complains about my DNF log (or even outright deletes it), saying that the cache is fine and the DNF messes up the Health Score of their cache. When I don't find a cache, which I actually searched (and be it only 5 minutes), I log a DNF - period. On a high-D cache, a few DNFs shouldn't trigger a CHS warning. And if the CO gets regular DNFs on their low-D hide, they should probably think about their D-rating ;) .

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, baer2006 said:

It irks me when a CO complains about my DNF log (or even outright deletes it), saying that the cache is fine and the DNF messes up the Health Score of their cache. When I don't find a cache, which I actually searched (and be it only 5 minutes), I log a DNF - period. On a high-D cache, a few DNFs shouldn't trigger a CHS warning. And if the CO gets regular DNFs on their low-D hide, they should probably think about their D-rating ;) .

I know that reviewers can see logs COs delete. I wonder if deleting them removes them from the Heath Score. Does someone know?

Even more irksome are COs who then aggressively deny they removed the DNF, even after you show them the email saying that they (showing their name) deleted it. Some people are just insane.

• Upvote 2
48 minutes ago, on4bam said:

just archive the cache

Ha, ha, yes I have struck that. Mention a problem, such as damp log, and they archive the cache. In fact one then archived every cache they had, even those still in great condition. And I bet they left everyone of the containers littering the countryside.

Then those COs who argue and argue with other geocachers that's all's right with their cache and we are all the ones who have the problem (thinking of one in particular here) who after I explained, carefully, clearly what the problem was multiple times still claimed they didn't understand what I was telling them and I was wrong. (Meanwhile other geocachers were messaging me with their thoughts. "They're insane," one cacher messaged me.) Finally I woke up to what was going on. The cacher wanted the spot of another existing cache and claimed it should be theirs by rights. When the reviewer came in the CO deleted their cache. Shame, I wanted the reviewer to do it. The CO deleting it was sort of an anti-climax.

Same with the armchair loggers and 'placers' of a cache. Finally the reviewer came in and wanted to see a photograph of this cache in situ. The armchair loggers archived their non-existing cache. Another anti-climax. It would have been much more satisfying if the reviewer had archived it. However in this last situation archiving didn't matter for a non-existing cache.

3 hours ago, on4bam said:

Then there are CO's who have caches that are clearly gone for months (CO allows a find eventhough container is gone) don't check/maintain their cache(s) but after logging a DNF and NM just archive the cache(s).

Maybe "just archiving" is better than what happened to me once: Situation as you describe (cache missing for months, CO allows "virtual" finds), I made the mistake of not reading the logs before attempting the cache, and in the end logged DNF+NM. One hour later I get verbally crucified in an e-mail from the CO, where he rants about me being a spoil-sport, and that it's now my fault when the cache is archived by a reviewer.

To be fair, he let my DNF+NM stand, and replaced the cache a few weeks later.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
9 hours ago, baer2006 said:

I give my search of a geocache about 20 minutes but usually go beyond that because of my competitive nature. I try to not give a DNF and love revisiting to avenge it. The love of the game!

8 hours ago, baer2006 said:

Maybe "just archiving" is better than what happened to me once: Situation as you describe (cache missing for months, CO allows "virtual" finds), I made the mistake of not reading the logs before attempting the cache, and in the end logged DNF+NM. One hour later I get verbally crucified in an e-mail from the CO, where he rants about me being a spoil-sport, and that it's now my fault when the cache is archived by a reviewer.

To be fair, he let my DNF+NM stand, and replaced the cache a few weeks later.

Shrug and wear it. The cache needed action and it wasn't your fault. I have had dealings with several like that. There are some aggressive, entitled, rude cachers out there. I gave some examples like that above. Another I have mentioned before. They found someone's lost lunchbox (20 metres from my very easy and obvious hide) and thought this was my cache and logged a find. I checked my cache and found it still there, so politely asked them to please change it to a DNF or note. They refused and said they would return to sign the log. I forgot about it as I went travelling. Three months later I returned and found they hadn't retuned to sign the log or changed their log to DNF. I contacted them again. Up till then the conversation, although frustrating from my end, had been civilised and polite on both ends. They let fly, telling me how impatient I was, etc, etc. I immediately responded and deleted their log. I said a few words back, but not on the scale to match their rant. With his response I seriously worried about his wife and was she suffering abuse. His anger and entitlement were very worrying.

One other I had this issue with, when I checked some time later their account had been locked. I never reported them, but likely someone else who received a similar response, must have. So far, I have never reported any of these.

Edited by Goldenwattle
4 hours ago, HunterandSamuel said:

I give my search of a geocache about 20 minutes but usually go beyond that because of my competitive nature. I try to not give a DNF and love revisiting to avenge it. The love of the game!

Same competitive nature here. Ive been know to look for over an hr.  Bisons hidden in a dense conglomerate of pine trees, or a large hedgerow comes to mind....Then it will start gnawing the %^$# out of me until I can get back to avenge my apparent self perceived ineptitude. :wacko:

Sometimes even on the same day!

• Helpful 1