What Irks you most?

On 5/23/2013 at 2:42 PM, avroair said:

What would you consider a Deadly Sin in geocaching? What irks you most? I'm compiling a list for an event...

A reminder...the topic of this thread: What would you consider a Deadly Sin in geocaching? What irks you most? I'm compiling a list for an event..."

My irks stand. 

Online?  suppose someone drives an hour, is FTF on paper and drives 1 hour home to log from a computer, someone else arrives at the cache half an hour later and logs from his/her phone... Who's FTF?

No matter what, I log when I get home in the evening so someone logging in the field should be FTF?

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Online?  suppose someone drives an hour, is FTF on paper and drives 1 hour home to log from a computer, someone else arrives at the cache half an hour later and logs from his/her phone... Who's FTF?

No matter what, I log when I get home in the evening so someone logging in the field should be FTF?

Who's FTF in that case? Why she/he is. 

1 hour ago, HunterandSamuel said:

LOL What if the reviewer didn't publish the cache? A cache (a traditional cache to hide, not at a park event, etc.) isn't considered an official geocaching.com cache until published, right? 

Groundspeak doesn't own geocaching, and a container can be a geocache even if it isn't listed on the geocaching.com site.

Around here, there is a series that started life as a private series of caches to celebrate a birthday. About a year later, the owner listed the series on geocaching.com and mentioned that the coveted STF (Second To Find) was available. FTF was taken by the person whose birthday it was, even though none of the caches in the series had been listed on the geocaching.com site at the time.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, niraD said:

Groundspeak doesn't own geocaching, and a container can be a geocache even if it isn't listed on the geocaching.com site.

Yes. But the CO is a new member of geocaching.com and obviously wanted the cache published by them.  Isn't a geocache not officially a geocache (on geocache.com) until published on geocaching.com? 

12 minutes ago, niraD said:

Around here, there is a series that started life as a private series of caches to celebrate a birthday. About a year later, the owner listed the series on geocaching.com and mentioned that the coveted STF (Second To Find) was available. FTF was taken by the person whose birthday it was, even though none of the caches in the series had been listed on the geocaching.com site at the time.

Very nice. I found out recently that my brother in-law and his wife geocached before geocaching.com, apps, and GPS  They used a compass. I'll have to ask them how they found caches, who hid them, etc. 

49 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

Who's FTF in that case? Why she/he is. 

The one who first writes in the paper log of course. Logging online can be out of sync for plenty of reasons.

Off topic: In a few year's time, after finding 1000's of caches you might want to re-read this thread .......

Finding geocaches before geocaching.com? Coordinates were posted on usenet then.... ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, on4bam said:

The one who first writes in the paper log of course. Logging online can be out of sync for plenty of reasons.

Off topic: In a few year's time, after finding 1000's of caches you might want to re-read this thread .......

Finding geocaches before geocaching.com? Coordinates were posted on usenet then.... ;)

No, in the case you mentioned it's he/she that found the cache first. Not in my case. Why would I want to reread this thread after 1000 finds? It's an irk thread, correct? What irks me today might not irk me in 1000 cache finds but that's not the point for an irk thread today, is it? I found many irks on this thread that seem not to be so irkable, silly to say the least,  but I would never debate the person who opened themselves up on a public message to vent about their irks, especially after being invited to vent their irks. To do that is only demeaning their feelings. Also, if you have been reading my irk...it's not about finding geocaches on usenet before being published on geocaching.com. So please, everyone...leave me to my irks. They are not up for debate. 

27 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

Very nice. I found out recently that my brother in-law and his wife geocached before geocaching.com, apps, and GPS  They used a compass. I'll have to ask them how they found caches, who hid them, etc. 

When I started, I found hundreds of geocaches before I had a GPS device. For an explanation of the technique, see the Geocaching.com blog post:

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2011/12/geocaching-com-presents-geocaching-without-gps/

I still visited the coordinates of all the caches I found though... ;)

7 minutes ago, niraD said:

When I started, I found hundreds of geocaches before I had a GPS device. For an explanation of the technique, see the Geocaching.com blog post:

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2011/12/geocaching-com-presents-geocaching-without-gps/

I still visited the coordinates of all the caches I found though... ;)

I read about Ed Scott when first joining geocaching.com! He is so admirable, so amazing.  Love this comment of his:  “In the beginning I preferred to do it this way. Then after that it became, well, people expect me not to have a GPS. So that’s what I’ll keep on doing.” 

2 hours ago, HunterandSamuel said:

Another irk. Geocaching is also based on a honor system. Is it honorable to declare a FTF on a cache before it's published or even submitted for publication? Recently I deleted a log on a cache because fellow cachers here felt it was a "throwdown", something I never heard of before. But nowhere is it mentioned that a "throwdown" is against geocaching.com rules. It's discouraged but not an offense. But here I'm finding that signing a log in a cache before it's even published or submitted for publication is fine and a FTF claim is okay. Sure there aren't "stats" for FTFs but that doesn't justify what is the right thing to do...sign a log when a cache is published and not before.   

Sure it's considered by some that claiming a FTF before the cache is published is "only" a "side game". If that's the case...then many of the  complaints about unethical behavior can also be considered just a "side game" and shouldn't get people uptight about. 

And, you're creating your own side game!  Requiring a cache to be published before the find.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

Okay, that's it. I'm taking back my throwdown. My signature is already on the cache log. You have convinced me that unethical finds are okay. I'm now a miserable unethical geocacher who will not play by "ethical rules" no more but ...will not violate geocaching.com rules. Breaking the chains of this opinionated forum. Freedom! 

Something that has irked me lately, until I figured out what it was, is when I go back to Forums Home page, after reading all the topics, it's showing that there is still an unread topic even though none is/are showing unread on the page. I think what is happening is a that a thread gets moved to another forum before I've read it. I then have to click on the unread icon to clear it. Is this a glitch?

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, colleda said:

Something that has irked me lately, until I figured out what it was, is when I go back to Forums Home page, after reading all the topics, it's showing that there is still an unread topic even though none is/are showing unread on the page. I think what is happening is a that a thread gets moved to another forum before I've read it. I then have to click on the unread icon to clear it. Is this a glitch?

Had to laugh... I went straight from here, via NEXT UNREAD TOPIC to the message:

Sorry, there is a problem

There are no unread content items.

... which happens whenever a thread is moved to another forum.  Mark forum as read! ?

On 1/4/2020 at 4:19 PM, HunterandSamuel said:

I didn't say there was a rule. 

As others have stated, FTF is a simple thing to understand.  The first signature on the log is the first person to find the cache.  Whether they found and signed a year before, the day of, or an hour or week after the listing being published on this website.  If I arrive at a newly listed cache and there is a signature on the log, there is zero logical way that I can claim to have been the first to find it. That signature that was on the log precludes me being the first.

If I am scouting a location to place a cache, and stumble across a container and sign the blank logbook, I am the FTF - whether that cache is ever listed on this website or another one. (Yes, there are/were others and I have FTF on three different listing sites.)  There are a couple caches that I sound and was the first to sign that have yet to be listed on this site (or any other of which I'm aware). I may be the OTF (Only to find) on those.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, K13 said:

As others have stated, FTF is a simple thing to understand.  The first signature on the log is the first person to find the cache.  Whether they found and signed a year before, the day of, or an hour or week after the listing being published on this website.  If I arrive at a newly listed cache and there is a signature on the log, there is zero logical way that I can claim to have been the first to find it. That signature that was on the log precludes me being the first.

If I am scouting a location to place a cache, and stumble across a container and sign the blank logbook, I am the FTF - whether that cache is ever listed on this website or another one. (Yes, there are/were others and I have FTF on three different listing sites.)  There are a couple caches that I sound and was the first to sign that have yet to be listed on this site (or any other of which I'm aware). I may be the OTF (Only to find) on those.

Excellent! Now the stats hounds can create new drama over another number, OTF! :P:P

Edited by 31BMSG

My newest irk: Someone makes a point and their own statements prove the opposite of what they claim.

Another new irk: I have maxed out the number of reactions (up votes, etc.) to posts for a day. I wonder when the limit was put in place, and what is the number?

Nothing irks me like a badly maintained cache with an active CO. The old ones where the CO's long gone - that's not so bad, I've occasionally given them a clean out, added new paper etc. But when there's a cache disabled by the reviewer and the CO writes "we hope to put out a new container in April" and / or they are actively putting out new caches without maintaining their missing ones... it's an irk.

The only effect it has on me is when there's an area I want to visit and find (OK - try to find) all the caches but there are one or two caches which are in this "we'll put out a new container when it's a bit warmer" type CO notes. Probably my fault for being completist and wanting to get all the caches... and of course there are always other places to visit - but some people should just not become COs in the first place.

(The only 2 bits of maintenance I need to do on mine at the moment are down to "over-maintenance" - I've put out a new container after some DNFs, vegetation has died back and guess what, there's the original container. So I have these 2 places where there are 2 containers. I'll go out and tidy them up. In April.)

10 hours ago, K13 said:

As others have stated, FTF is a simple thing to understand.  The first signature on the log is the first person to find the cache.  Whether they found and signed a year before, the day of, or an hour or week after the listing being published on this website.

Depends on the situation as some have explained on this thread. In my case I'm the FTF although there are signatures before me, as I have explained over and over. 

• Funny 1
37 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

Depends on the situation as some have explained on this thread. In my case I'm the FTF although there are signatures before me, as I have explained over and over. 

You're not. Others signed the log before you, as was explained over and over.

Suppose the cache was a cake, the signatures before you have eaten the cake, would you still claim to have eaten the cake? ;)

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, HunterandSamuel said:

I most certainly am FTF. 

PS. Food caches are against guidelines. 

Some people still think the Earth is flat.

PS. You understand "suppose" is meant to make the example  more clear.

Keep on believing you're FTF, it doesn't affect me and others will also have their opinion on it. As long as you're happy you can "believe" what you want. :ph34r:

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

Sure but it didn't.

If someone hides a cake (cache) and the first finder can eat it (log on paper), do you think anything would have been left when you got to the the hidingplace? If you do, claim FTF, if there are just crumbs, you're not.

Edited by on4bam
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, Keystone said:

An FTF definitional "irk" has been noted.  TIme to move on to other irks.  Thanks.

My newest irk.  We have a Halloween cauldron cache full of worms. You have to search deep to find the log. The worms replaced the black water beads with scary bugs, etc for just the winter months because the beads were freezing in the cold.  Anyway, cachers are taking the worms thinking they are swag. lol  I've even found one in another cache of ours (we check up on our caches weekly). But I can understand why this is happening, the worms are really cool and realistic looking and kids probably love them. I have another huge bag of them so just a minor irk. 

worms.JPG

Edited by HunterandSamuel
3 hours ago, Oxford Stone said:

effect it has on me is when there's an area I want to visit and find (OK - try to find) all the caches but there are one or two caches which are in this "we'll put out a new container when it's a bit warmer" type CO notes.

Similar for me is when there's an area I want to visit and find (OK - try to find) one or two caches... but all of the caches are abandoned caches that have last logs (often months of last logs) that say: "found the lid", or "soaked, unsignable", or "since the cache hasn't been found in months, I left a [micro pill bottle throwdown] cache [even though the cache was previously a small peanut butter jar] [so I can claim a find]. Thank you [app inserted: cache owner]."

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

System is you can decide if you are FTF, in the case of Project GC by adding {FTF} to your log.

There is no computer awarded FTF.

AFAIK COs can't delete your log simply because you put {FTF} in it, as you've found the cache.

So put FTF if you care about it and think you are FTF, no matter whether there are already signatures on the paper log or other claims. If there are no rules, you decide the rules. If you cheat your own rules, then you're bloody stupid.

When I'm doing a walking/cycling maintenance run on my Fernleigh Track series I see bicycle inner tubes hanging in trees after a rider has fixed a flat. It irks me that they can't carry that real heavy inner tube as far as the neatest rubbish bin. The Track is usually very clean and respected by most users.

1 hour ago, colleda said:

When I'm doing a walking/cycling maintenance run on my Fernleigh Track series I see bicycle inner tubes hanging in trees after a rider has fixed a flat. It irks me that they can't carry that real heavy inner tube as far as the neatest rubbish bin. The Track is usually very clean and respected by most users.

That's terrible. Fortunately I have never seen that on one of the cycle tracks that wind through Canberra. Most of those who cycle here during work days would be commuters, although the families etc come out on weekends.

Locally, my favourite power trails are those on shared paths (cycle and walking routes.). Technically in Canberra we don't have cycle or walking paths; the paths are 'shared paths', and like most of Australia we can ride on the footpaths (shared paths). Only NSW and Victoria don't allow that.

2 hours ago, colleda said:

You're lucky, never seen a bike innertube but here you just see bags of dog s*** hanging in  the bushes and trees. If you're lucky.

Otherwise for some bizarre reason they bag it and then *leave it on the path*, creating a dog poo bomb if you walk or ride over it.

111u.jpg

• Funny 1
3 minutes ago, BethDaddyKaty said:

You're lucky, never seen a bike innertube but here you just see bags of dog s*** hanging in  the bushes and trees. If you're lucky.

Otherwise for some bizarre reason they bag it and then *leave it on the path*, creating a dog poo bomb if you walk or ride over it.

111u.jpg

I've seen a lot of that, especially along canals. Muggles creating step-on hazards.

37 minutes ago, BethDaddyKaty said:

Yeah, I really don't get that. Back when I was walking our dog, I would see these "dog poo bombs" next to the sidewalk. They would even use the cute special-purpose bags with paw prints (or some other pet-related design) on them. And then they'd clean up after their dog. And then they'd leave it there.

Why go to all that trouble, only to give up so close to the goal line?

16 hours ago, BethDaddyKaty said:

Weird...  I said something about this just a couple months ago, and most acted like they've never seen this unhealthy behavior.    :huh:

I think most just pitch 'em here, and if it sticks on a bush, maybe a park employee will get it.   

Really surprised they keep opening here.  Most are county/township property near city implant's mcmansion developments.

One I stopped at for the last couple promotions had roads with small paths alongside.   Both were littered with poop.

-  I walked in the grass in-between...    

Our bike path has doggy poop bag dispensers at each end but rarely do we see poop bags on the trail. But now and then we see doggy poop. Not too long ago I stepped in it when checking up on one of our caches. The cache is about 20 feet into the woods off the bike path. People think it's okay to let their dogs poop and leave it there because it's in the woods. Even I have been guilty of that when babysitting our daughter's dog. But that was before we became geocachers and hid caches. lol  

59 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

The cache is about 20 feet into the woods off the bike path. People think it's okay to let their dogs poop and leave it there because it's in the woods.

In the last weeks I had a really "bad streak" of this :mad:. I stepped in off-the-path dog s**t four or five times. Which usually means a detour to the next small stream or lake instead of proceeding to the next cache. Definitely doesn't improve my general feelings towards dogs and their owners... :(

• Upvote 1