What Irks you most?

2 hours ago, on4bam said:

Logged a DNF on a cache Saturday, so did another cacher on Sunday (cache was clearly missing). Saw a Found it log on Monday stating cache is gone but CO allowed to log a find. 2 hours later another found it log. Another was posted on Wednesday. Now GSAK was showing 3 green squares for the last 4 logs so I posted a NM. 5 minutes later the CO mailed me saying I could log a found it instead of a DNF.... No thanks.

He/she should have posted a TD instead of allowing finds on a missing cache.

On the plus side: He/she said a new cache would be placed today.

I would log another DNF and write that I am logging a DNF so a red dot appears in the app to indicate that the cache isn’t there.  That way others don’t waste a trip assuming the green dots on the app mean that it’s actually in place. 

Owners allowing finds in lieu of maintenance really really irks me. And people accepting those finds irks me. It seems that many prefer a Waymarking game—visit the location get a point. The physical cache is a moot point. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

I would log another DNF and write that I am logging a DNF so a red dot appears in the app to indicate that the cache isn’t there. 

Nope, because that would also be a fake log as I didn't go there again (it's 80Km from home  so not going there to make point ;) ). I have no clue how any app shows the last logs anyway.

So far no OM log though.... I wonder when/if the cache will be replaced.

8 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

I would log another DNF and write that I am logging a DNF so a red dot appears in the app to indicate that the cache isn’t there.  That way others don’t waste a trip assuming the green dots on the app mean that it’s actually in place. 

Owners allowing finds in lieu of maintenance really really irks me. And people accepting those finds irks me. It seems that many prefer a Waymarking game—visit the location get a point. The physical cache is a moot point. 

And yet people often repeat on here CO owns the cache, CO is the initial arbiter of found or not found. But it annoys other people when they break the perceived rules.

10 minutes ago, daddybeth said:

But it annoys other people when they break the perceived rules.

The requirement that the cache be actually present is more than just perceived, I think.

Here is a list of your responsibilities as a cache owner:

• Choose an appropriate container that is watertight.
  • Replace broken or missing containers.
  • Clean out your cache if contents become wet.
  • Replace full or wet logbooks.
  • Temporarily disable your cache if it’s not accessible due to weather or seasonal changes.
  • Mark trackables as missing if they are listed in the inventory but no longer are in the cache.
  • Delete inappropriate logs.
  • Update coordinates if cache location has changed.

If you can't replace a missing cache immediately, the responsible thing to do is disable it until you can, or archive it if you can't, not hand out free finds to all and sundry.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, daddybeth said:

And yet people often repeat on here CO owns the cache, CO is the initial arbiter of found or not found. But it annoys other people when they break the perceived rules.

I don't think I need an arbiter for that. If I found the container and signed the log, I found the cache. If not, it's a DNF.

Under special circumstances, I have accepted a CO's offer to log a find on a missing cache. But in these cases I let the DNF log stand as well.

4 minutes ago, baer2006 said:

Under special circumstances, I have accepted a CO's offer to log a find on a missing cache. But in these cases I let the DNF log stand as well.

Maybe I'm a bit odd (well my friends would say there's no maybe about it), but on the few occasions when I've been offered a find on a cache that was missing or I couldn't quite reach because the terrain defeated me, I've always declined, saying I'll come back and try again after it's been replaced or when I'm better prepared. To me, such a find log would always feel like a lie, something that would haunt me in the wee small hours until I finally gave in to my conscience and deleted it. I won't even log a find if I know the thing I found and signed was a throwdown not sanctioned by the CO. I don't care about a +1 to my find count, filling a rare square on my D/T grid or whatever, for me it's overcoming whatever challenges the CO and the environment have put before me in getting my signature in the logbook.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

I was looking at a 5D multi cache today.  The first stage was last found in 2015.  One cacher found the final anyway.  (I've been known to do that...)  Three DNFs since that.  16 PAF finds since then.  Two NMs by DNFers.  A note from the CO in 2016 saying that he would replace the first two stages.  Obviously never done.  I decided not to search for it.

18 hours ago, on4bam said:

So far no OM log though.... I wonder when/if the cache will be replaced.

OK, no cache replacement "tomorrow" but at least now another cacher logged a DNF. This may have to do with my NM where I wrote that the three previous Found it logs are in fact DNF's B)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

I've had COs offer me  finds for DNFs twice lately.  I declined. I'd rather have a real DNF than a fake find. 

One of the COs was out of town, but reading logs.  CO contacted a friend to check cache, friend verified it missing and replaced it,  within 24 hours of the logs coming in, and before the CO reached out to offer the find.   While I didn't take him up on it, I understand the impulse, and if you're going to do offer DNF as find, this is the way. Immediately fix, or immediately disable.

The other CO has nothing further posted on their page 5 months later (gadget cache is broken, cannot access log sans bolt cutters or maybe beat it to death with a hammer). 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

This recent incident 'Irked' me.

My log: After a description of the find I finished off my log to let the CO know the log was full: "The log is full and a new log is needed. TFTC (name of CO)." How else will the CO know?

Then when nothing had happened, about six weeks later I did a NM as a nudge. People were still logging finds, even though the log was full. I wondered if they were finding room to sign it, and none of them mentioned the log was full. I appreciate NMs on my caches to let me know there is a problem. When something needs attention, NMs are helpful. I wrote nothing impolite.

"Needs MaintenanceNeeds Maintenance

Reminder. I wrote in my log on 28/Oct/2019 that the log is full and a new log is needed.

After more than a month I can't see an OM, so making a NM as an extra nudge. This needs the tender loving care of the CO."

I left it at that. However then this several weeks later, and this irked me. "As a fellow CO, I know how much of an inconvenience it can be to have to replace a log. I also know how much a CO appreciates another cacher helping out with the odd maintenance here and there.

If the previous cacher who left a NM log (with 10k finds I'll add) was so offended or outraged by a full log, then perhaps they could have spared a page from their notebook like I just did.

No need for any action from the CO. The cache is in good shape with a fresh sheet alongside the old one. Time to clear that NM log! Many thanks for the cache."

I was not "offended or outraged by a full log", but that (slimy) log offended (and irked) me. They could have just replaced the log without the need to snipe.

They made several presumptions; that I had paper with me to replace the log - I didn't, and that all COs appreciate someone replacing their logs without checking first. I certainly don't want anyone to replace my cache logs without checking with me first. Log a NM please and I will attend to it.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 7

Or just geocaching move on and stop relying on reviewers? They do an amazing job but in the end they are volunteers and can't possibly physically check or monitor every cache they review

If you look at most comparable sites they have some sort of "reputation" scheme, where experienced, highly rated members typically have eight times the weight of a new member. It amazes me on here that cachers with thousands of finds, many hides and favourite points have identical standing on a map with cachers who signed up yesterday. 

Having said that, I think hiding caches makes you better at finding caches, so I don't agree with the "you have to find x00 caches before you hide any" line.

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, daddybeth said:

Or just geocaching move on and stop relying on reviewers? They do an amazing job but in the end they are volunteers and can't possibly physically check or monitor every cache they review

No one expects the volunteer reviewers to physically check the caches they publish. That is explicitly not part of the job.

And no one should expect the volunteer reviewers to monitor every cache that they review. That's what the NM and NA logs are for. Although I will admit that Groundspeak has muddled this with the CHS.

• Upvote 3
4 hours ago, daddybeth said:

If you look at most comparable sites they have some sort of "reputation" scheme, where experienced, highly rated members typically have eight times the weight of a new member.

It amazes me on here that cachers with thousands of finds, many hides and favourite points have identical standing on a map with cachers who signed up yesterday. 

Curious where thousands of finds or hides means anything. 

Maybe it's because we've personally seen how those "highly-rated" cachers came by those found numbers.    :D

I just NA a cache that had a "highly rated" member with over 50,000 finds make a "find" on only a nano's cap and wire on a tree limb. 

If there's any of that "my numbers" carp spoken at events anymore, I leave. 

We know who the honest people are.  That's what matters to us.    :)

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

Curious where thousands of finds or hides means anything. 

Maybe it's because we've personally seen how those "highly-rated" cachers came by those found numbers.    :D

I just NA a cache that had a "highly rated" member with over 50,000 finds make a "find" on only a nano's cap and wire on a tree limb. 

If there's any of that "my numbers" carp spoken at events anymore, I leave. 

We know who the honest people are.  That's what matters to us.    :)

There are dishonest geocachers at all levels. That doesn't take it away from the fact that finders who have found more caches are likely to be more experienced. I am finding beginners are the ones logging finds and not signing the log; rather than more experienced cachers. I have just removed the logs of six beginners for not signing the log ("I didn't know I had to sign the log." :rolleyes:), and I should have removed another.

Edited by Goldenwattle
1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

There are dishonest geocachers at all levels. That doesn't take it away from the fact that finders who have found more caches are likely to be more experienced. I am finding beginners are the ones logging finds and not signing the log; rather than more experienced cachers. I have just removed the logs of six beginners for not signing the log ("I didn't know I had to sign the log." :rolleyes:), and I should have removed another.

Back in 2013 when I was a newbie fresh off the boat from the lonely wind-swept streets of Muggledom, I was taken in by the helpful and patient local community as I slowly learnt the ropes. Yes, I knew from day one that I had to sign the logbook, but I DNFed a bison tube because I was expecting, well, something that looked like a bison's horn. One of the more prolific local hiders of bushland caches had to endure my many calls for help when I couldn't see the obvious (one of the photos I sent him after logging two DNFs clearly showed the cache sitting there smirking at me but he still went out and checked it just to be sure). In the end we all became great mates, something for which I'll always be grateful.

Move on nearly seven years and today I had the pleasure of meeting our newest local cacher, when he and another local cacher arrived as I was signing the log on a newly-published cache. We spent half an hour or more chatting in what became an impromptu mini-event. It was great to see his enthusiasm for the game and I hope he sticks with it and becomes a bit more adventurous in his caching (his highest T rating to date is a 2.5).

On the other side of the coin, about the only times I've had to call logs into question have been from cachers with more years in the game than me and/or more finds than me. I'm a very forgiving CO, especially if it's an honest mistake, and the log is usually let stand or voluntarily deleted by the logger; the only time I've had to delete a log myself was on my EC when someone didn't provide any answers and ignored my repeated requests for them.

Sure, I live in a small community that's probably a world away from the hustle and hassles of big city caching, and most of my hides are higher T bushland ones so I don't get the here-today-gone-tomorrow muggles-with-apps, but most of the time I find a helping hand works better than a slap on the wrist.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Back in 2013 when I was a newbie fresh off the boat from the lonely wind-swept streets of Muggledom, I was taken in by the helpful and patient local community as I slowly learnt the ropes. Yes, I knew from day one that I had to sign the logbook, but I DNFed a bison tube because I was expecting, well, something that looked like a bison's horn. One of the more prolific local hiders of bushland caches had to endure my many calls for help when I couldn't see the obvious (one of the photos I sent him after logging two DNFs clearly showed the cache sitting there smirking at me but he still went out and checked it just to be sure). In the end we all became great mates, something for which I'll always be grateful.

Move on nearly seven years and today I had the pleasure of meeting our newest local cacher, when he and another local cacher arrived as I was signing the log on a newly-published cache. We spent half an hour or more chatting in what became an impromptu mini-event. It was great to see his enthusiasm for the game and I hope he sticks with it and becomes a bit more adventurous in his caching (his highest T rating to date is a 2.5).

On the other side of the coin, about the only times I've had to call logs into question have been from cachers with more years in the game than me and/or more finds than me. I'm a very forgiving CO, especially if it's an honest mistake, and the log is usually let stand or voluntarily deleted by the logger; the only time I've had to delete a log myself was on my EC when someone didn't provide any answers and ignored my repeated requests for them.

Sure, I live in a small community that's probably a world away from the hustle and hassles of big city caching, and most of my hides are higher T bushland ones so I don't get the here-today-gone-tomorrow muggles-with-apps, but most of the time I find a helping hand works better than a slap on the wrist.

I sent messages to each of these cachers, as I am willing to accept photographic evidence and/or very good descriptions. Only one replied. I gave them about six weeks to get back to me. From memory their cache find numbers varied from two figures to three figures. It was about time they realised they needed to sign the cache. I suspect most of them didn't so much forget to find the cache, as they didn't find it.

On 12/21/2019 at 5:17 PM, L0ne.R said:

Which brings me around to my irk... COs who use ziploc bags in leaky containers because they think it will protect the log. 

Off topic. I bought heavy duty 2" by 4" ziploc bags on amazon in bulk because I like protecting certain swag we leave in caches in case they leak, like my metal skeleton keys. I also place our logs in them, even the survivor caches we hide, for extra protection just in case. Plus it looks responsible. On the thruway we found a film canister cache that had a crack in the lid. It was a neat hiding spot and part of a series so we camoed taped the lid and placed it's log in a ziploc to keep dry, messaged the CO who was very grateful. 

On 12/29/2019 at 11:45 AM, HunterandSamuel said:

Off topic. I bought heavy duty 2" by 4" ziploc bags on amazon in bulk because I like protecting certain swag we leave in caches in case they leak, like my metal skeleton keys. I also place our logs in them, even the survivor caches we hide, for extra protection just in case. Plus it looks responsible. On the thruway we found a film canister cache that had a crack in the lid. It was a neat hiding spot and part of a series so we camoed taped the lid and placed it's log in a ziploc to keep dry, messaged the CO who was very grateful. 

I'm talking mostly about COs who start with a leaky container, like a food container and know that it will not keep the contents dry, so they put the log in a baggie and figure that will at least save the logsheet from getting wet. 4 months later, the logsheet is reported wet/moldy/unsignable. Baggies are OK for short term use, and could help if the CO gets to the cache quickly within a day or so after the container fails to keep out water. But most of us probably live in areas where COs expect a baggie to protect a sheet/book for months/years.

Here's what can happen when even a heavy duty freezer baggie is used that is too big and folding is required. This has happened to a few of my caches. I use authentic Lock & Locks which have kept contents dry for years, the baggie was not necessary, so I stopped using them. Then along comes someone who believes, like so many do, that a baggie is better then no baggie.

Here's what one of my authentic Lock & Locks looked like in the springtime after spending the winter with a heavy duty baggie "protecting" the contents, the baggie got caught in the seal. The logbook was soaked.

IMG_3534.JPG.834fac0b778d1f371f5fa449988

I know that finders are well-meaning when they put the contents in a baggie, but it irks me a little to find my cache in this shape. Not a big irk for me though, because it's the nature of the beast. Leaving things outdoors in all kinds of weather and with regular visitors, has its risks. If I had visited the cache in the early winter I might have been able to rescue it from this fate. It had 3 good years which I'm grateful for. 

Edited by L0ne.R
typo
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

I know that finders are well-meaning when they put the contents in a baggie, but it irks me a little to find my cache in this shape.

:)

When we put open, hvy. dty. freezer bags in our ammo cans, they're meant as dividers just to separate stuff, not to "waterproof" anything. 

Odds are we come back to find them all closed up.  Doesn't really hurt anything.

- But when the other 2/3rds used lock n locks, there was always someone "helping" by adding a baggie not needed for it's spot.

• Helpful 1

So far, as a relatively new cacher, I only have two complaints Anachronisms in 'clues' that I just don't understand and can't even find when I google them. This week one clue read, "CITO or maybe CIPO" now anyone tell me what the hell that meant?

Then those cachers who can't be bothered to re-hide the cache as it was before they found it, I've seen that so often already. I only have seventeen of my own caches out, but I find weekly maintenance  runs an absolute necessity.  

Oh sorry, I just thought of another............."took TB to move on" then they don't get to log the fact, so it shows as still in the cache when it's not.

I only bought two TB's and already one has disappeared to who knows where, I won't bother with anymore.

8 minutes ago, Lillme said:

Oh sorry, I just thought of another............."took TB to move on" then they don't get to log the fact, so it shows as still in the cache when it's not.

I only bought two TB's and already one has disappeared to who knows where, I won't bother with anymore.

If I know who has taken a TB and they haven't logged it, I will write on the log of the TB to let the owner know who has it. That allows the TB owner to contact the person with the TB, if they so choose.

26 minutes ago, Lillme said:

So far, as a relatively new cacher, I only have two complaints Anachronisms in 'clues' that I just don't understand and can't even find when I google them. This week one clue read, "CITO or maybe CIPO" now anyone tell me what the hell that meant?

Then those cachers who can't be bothered to re-hide the cache as it was before they found it, I've seen that so often already. I only have seventeen of my own caches out, but I find weekly maintenance  runs an absolute necessity.  

I was going to reply and say I thought that CITO was still a thing, but I don't see any reference at all to it on the Geocaching home page.   If it's there, it's buried pretty well.

5 minutes ago, ParrotRobAndCeCe said:

I was going to reply and say I thought that CITO was still a thing, but I don't see any reference at all to it on the Geocaching home page.   If it's there, it's buried pretty well.

I believe there's a glossary of terms somewhere. Perhaps a kind person will post a link?

46 minutes ago, colleda said:

I believe there's a glossary of terms somewhere. Perhaps a kind person will post a link?

https://www.geocaching.com/about/glossary.aspx

In there, CITO is defined as:

"Cache In Trash Out" is an ongoing environmental initiative supported by the worldwide geocaching community. Since 2002, geocachers have been dedicated to cleaning up parks and other cache-friendly places around the world. Learn more at www.geocaching.com/cito.

CITO is also a type of event cache.

I have no idea what CIPO might be, but I suspect it might be something local to the cache's environment that starts with a "P" and should be taken out. Parrots? Possums? People? Pirates?

A two-word log on a 7-stage multi-cum-field-puzzle and they couldn't even spell either word correctly!

image.png.90d5e53600488d8654e04b6386ab138c.png

At least they did sign the logbook and put the cache back properly so I can't really complain too much, indeed I should be grateful they did it as it's the first find since October and only the 13th since I created it in May.

• Funny 1
25 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

A two-word log on a 7-stage multi-cum-field-puzzle and they couldn't even spell either word correctly!

At least they did sign the logbook and put the cache back properly so I can't really complain too much, indeed I should be grateful they did it as it's the first find since October and only the 13th since I created it in May.

I suspect that's taken from a TV show. Which I didn't watch, but I have heard others making quotes from it.

23 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I suspect that's taken from a TV show. Which I didn't watch, but I have heard others making quotes from it.

Could be, but a Google search on the phrase doesn't yield much. About all I watch on TV these days is news and sport so any pop culture references will just go straight over my head.

1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

It's not an uncommon catch phrase.  Here it is from Borat.

Edited by kunarion
5 hours ago, ParrotRobAndCeCe said:

I was going to reply and say I thought that CITO was still a thing, but I don't see any reference at all to it on the Geocaching home page. 

If it's there, it's buried pretty well.

It's still definitely a thing, offering souvenirs a few times a year on CITO events (for those that need an event to CITO...).   :)

- But I sorta agree. 

We were surprised that there's no longer any mention in even Geocaching 101, where most start learning about the hobby.

You need to get into the Help Center,  enter the forums (and know it's in the events forum), or see mention in a blog to even know what it is.

When we started, CITO was an integral part of the hobby.  We received permissions because of it.  We CITO every day while out.

Don't know why it's taken a back-seat to find counts...

26 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

It's not even something I've seen promos for, let alone watched. Oh well. I assume they probably enjoyed the multi and it's not something I have to log an OM in response to.

That was not the source I was thinking of, as I have never watched Borat. Has it been on TV in Australia? I've never seen it.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

That was not the source I was thinking of, as I have never watched Borat. Has it been on TV in Australia? I've never seen it.

I was thinking more Kath and Kim (it took me all afternoon to remember their names) but that's another show I never watched. Anyway that was more noice than naice I think.

Edited by barefootjeff
4 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

It's still definitely a thing, offering souvenirs a few times a year on CITO events (for those that need an event to CITO...).   :)

- But I sorta agree. 

We were surprised that there's no longer any mention in even Geocaching 101, where most start learning about the hobby.

You need to get into the Help Center,  enter the forums (and know it's in the events forum), or see mention in a blog to even know what it is.

When we started, CITO was an integral part of the hobby.  We received permissions because of it.  We CITO every day while out.

Don't know why it's taken a back-seat to find counts...

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at.  I recently came back from an extended hiatus from the hobby, and it used to be much more heavily promoted.  CITO, that is.

13 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

I was thinking more Kath and Kim (it took me all afternoon to remember their names) but that's another show I never watched. Anyway that was I think.

Yes, that's the show I couldn't think of the name of, as I have never watched it. I believe you are correct; it's more noice than naice.

We have a cache hidden by a pond. After the snow melted last year, garbage was everywhere. Someone logged it and mentioned CITO was needed desperately. We went down to take a look, it was bad, the wind seemed to blow every piece of garbage in town to our cache site. Too much for us to pick up ourselves so we called the town's Public Works Dept and they cleaned it up nicely. It was directly across from a business, not good for customers to see either.

18 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

Here's what one of my authentic Lock & Locks looked like in the springtime after spending the winter with a heavy duty baggie "protecting" the contents, the baggie got caught in the seal. The logbook was soaked.

Yikes. Good point about the baggie getting caught in the seal so please don't add a baggy to caches. We replaced a cheap torn baggy with a strong small Ziploc.

One thing to remember is that the more you seal a cache from the weather, the more you seal the weather inside the cache =P  You'll never be able to guarantee the dryness of contents, since the cache could be opened in bad weather. If the seal is good, rain and moisture can still get inside, then remain just as stuck inside as it was blocked outside. So you could say double-sealing contents is extra protection, but in a way it also works the other way too, heh. I do think that ziplocking inside a sealed container is the better way to go. Or placing somewhere that's sheltered from precipitation.  But then you also have wet hands possibly touching contents, even if no rain falls inside. There's really no guarantee.  Just precautionary measures, and being a responsible CO who occasionally checks the cache quality, especially when prompted.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

One thing to remember is that the more you seal a cache from the weather, the more you seal the weather inside the cache =P  You'll never be able to guarantee the dryness of contents, since the cache could be opened in bad weather. If the seal is good, rain and moisture can still get inside, then remain just as stuck inside as it was blocked outside. So you could say double-sealing contents is extra protection, but in a way it also works the other way too, heh. I do think that ziplocking inside a sealed container is the better way to go. Or placing somewhere that's sheltered from precipitation.  But then you also have wet hands possibly touching contents, even if no rain falls inside. There's really no guarantee.  Just precautionary measures, and being a responsible CO who occasionally checks the cache quality, especially when prompted.

Yes. That last sentence is the key factor in keeping a cache in good shape. 

Today's irk for me is people who don't put the cache back where they found it. I have a 2.5/2.5 traditional in a wet cave (although it's bone dry at the moment with the drought), which I'm pretty OCD about checking on each time it gets a find as it has a covering rock that has to be wedged against the side to prevent the cache washing away in a flash flood. It had a group of out-of-town cachers find it a couple of days ago so I went around this morning to check, only to find the covering rock was exactly in place but there was no cache behind it. Dadgum, I said, or words to that effect, and was about to write it off as muggled but thought I should do a thorough search of the cave just in case. Lucky I did as I found it sitting on a ledge in the roof, in full sight of any muggles who might go in there.

I suspect what's happened is one of the group made the find then took the cache outside for everyone to sign, leaving it to the last signer to put it back. Not knowing where it had been, they just stuck it somewhere they thought might be a good spot for it. Oh the joys of being a CO...

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 6
  • Helpful 1

I'm going to add this as one that has bitten me again....

A step-counting multi. You know - count the steps, then do this and that to the number to get some coords.

Only this one had about 100 steps, between multiple landings and turns, and with a nice little multiplying factor in the calculations, any error multiplies out too. And no checker/checksum of course.

So, a DNF for our first log of 2020. We were thankful to the nearby (nicely hidden) mint-tin to save the day and give us the souvenir.....

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, lee737 said:

A step-counting multi. You know - count the steps, then do this and that to the number to get some coords.

Only this one had about 100 steps, between multiple landings and turns, and with a nice little multiplying factor in the calculations, any error multiplies out too. And no checker/checksum of course.

So, a DNF for our first log of 2020. We were thankful to the nearby (nicely hidden) mint-tin to save the day and give us the souvenir.....

Hate them, as not everyone (maybe most people) don't have the same step as the CO.

• Funny 1
4 hours ago, lee737 said:

I know the feeling well. There was a step-counting multi I struggled with about a year ago, where the bottom step had been almost gobbled up by the concrete path they added later. I have enough trouble counting things at the best of times.