What Irks you most?

1075964470_2019-12-0416_44_12-Geocaching_SubmitaGeocache.png.ca68c08c365f368ecfc9ed37d1aacfad.png

"Other" covers those micro-cache-in-a-larger-item problem. But unfortunately the Hide-a-Cache page does not explain what "Other" means. It would be nice if they had a link to the cache size page in the Help Center. But the help page also doesn't do a great job of explaining what "Other" means.

P.S. I am very irked when I find a bison tube in a stick/board/log/birdhouse posted as small/regular/large. A container that includes a log and the possibility of something interesting like a signature item or trackable, is what brings me geocaching joy. So I filter out micros and other (because they are always log-only).  I don't like being duped into travelling kilometers and spending my limited free time for what turns out to be a micro (log-only cache), when I could be elsewhere finding the type of container experience I like. 

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 1
3 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

1075964470_2019-12-0416_44_12-Geocaching_SubmitaGeocache.png.ca68c08c365f368ecfc9ed37d1aacfad.png

"Other" covers those micro-cache-in-a-larger-item problem. But unfortunately the Hide-a-Cache page does not explain what "Other" means. It would be nice if they had a link to the cache size page in the Help Center. But the help page also doesn't do a great job of explaining what "Other" means.

P.S. I am very irked when I find a bison tube in a stick/board/log/birdhouse posted as small/regular/large. A container that includes a log and the possibility of something interesting like a signature item or trackable, is what brings me geocaching joy. So I filter out micros and other (because they are always log-only).  I don't like being duped into travelling kilometers and spending my limited free time for what turns out to be a micro (log-only cache), when I could be elsewhere finding the type of container experience I like. 

If you were from around here you would be filtering out on my Bison Trail series of, mostly, Bison tubes hidden in various ways. You would also miss the experience of a beautiful area and a relaxing walk or cycle. What a shame.

I don't see the problem of a cache being placed on the outside of an electrical box, but they shouldn't be placed inside a real one. However, the real ones are locked here, so caches can't be placed inside. Electrical boxes (locked) are designed to be safe and placed in public areas, beside public paths, on some people's front verges where they would have lawn mowers going around them, children playing by them, in parks, etc. Artists decorate them. (Wet brush on box.) I can't see that placing a cache on the outside of a locked electrical box would be any more dangerous then other activities that happen around these boxes.

The same with light posts. People chain and lean bikes against them, they lean on them, so what is the problem of sticking a cache to to a light post? I have seen many a nano stuck in full view on a light post. If light posts weren't safe to do this with, they shouldn't be placed where people can touch them, which people do all the time. What is more dangerous with a nano on a light post, than someone tying their bike to them?

• Helpful 1
12 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

The same with light posts. People chain and lean bikes against them, they lean on them, so what is the problem of sticking a cache to to a light post? I have seen many a nano stuck in full view on a light post. If light posts weren't safe to do this with, they shouldn't be placed where people can touch them, which people do all the time. What is more dangerous with a nano on a light post, than someone tying their bike to them?

I think maybe you have a different light post setup than most we've seen.  

We've never seen anyone hanging out at a parking lot lamp post here.    :)

• Upvote 1
51 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I think maybe you have a different light post setup than most we've seen.  

We've never seen anyone hanging out at a parking lot lamp post here.    :)

These are light/lamp posts I am more familiar with, and I don't see the problem of someone sticking a cache on them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bikes+tied+to+lamp+posts&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjrwMXXu53mAhXWILcAHR_1Cb4Q_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1728&bih=1003#imgrc=lkEkYln0OuPQNM:

• Helpful 1
10 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

Those caches that I have and have rated 'Other' is because although they might be small (or larger) on the outside, they only have micro internal space, such as a bison tube inserted. They are NOT small because TBs and trinkets won't fit. I didn't want to disappoint anyone turning up with a TB to leave because I had marked it small, but they find only the internal dimensions of a bison tube. So I mark that sort of cache 'Other', as the internal space is too little for a 'small', but I also don't want to mark this 'micro' and have someone looking for a micro, and I being told off by someone who DNFed it, that it was ridiculous looking for a micro in that place. They were absolutely right I had to concede, so I changed it from micro to 'other'.

Below is an example of 'other'. A bison tube stuck in a 'small' sized object, but not a small because there is not the internal space of a small.

Cache 2.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Below is an example of 'other'. A bison tube stuck in a 'small' sized object, but not a small because there is not the internal space of a small.

What irks me (well, not really ;) ) is when someone posts an image of a big spider (life or artificial) in a public forum, in a thread which was so far not related to spiders in any way.

What really irks me, is my own ******* arachnophobia, which can be quite inconvenient as a geocacher. Also, I feel hijacked by my own brain, when I consciously tell myself "These little spiders are completely harmless" all the time, and still get goosebumps, cold sweat and sometimes even slight nausea :(.

• Funny 3
12 minutes ago, baer2006 said:

What irks me (well, not really ;) ) is when someone posts an image of a big spider (life or artificial) in a public forum, in a thread which was so far not related to spiders in any way.

What really irks me, is my own ******* arachnophobia, which can be quite inconvenient as a geocacher. Also, I feel hijacked by my own brain, when I consciously tell myself "These little spiders are completely harmless" all the time, and still get goosebumps, cold sweat and sometimes even slight nausea :(.

Sorry, but just for you, another example of an 'Other' rated cache, that is nothing like the previous unmentionable. A bison tube for the funnel. Is this better :)?

Fyshwick Choo Choo 2.jpg

• Upvote 3
4 hours ago, baer2006 said:

What really irks me, is my own ******* arachnophobia, which can be quite inconvenient as a geocacher.

Also, I feel hijacked by my own brain, when I consciously tell myself "These little spiders are completely harmless" all the time, and still get goosebumps, cold sweat and sometimes even slight nausea :(.

Do you cache with someone ?

I eventually reasoned I was always in front on trail so I got the web face-first each time, leaving the other 2/3rds free of spiders.   :)

She confessed one day she quietly chuckles each Time I say "you're welcome...", wiping the web and spiders off clothes n hat. 

14 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Those are solid style lamp posts, and I find typically anything stuck to them doesn't last very along, unless it really looks like it belongs there (and doesn't get knocked off easily :P)

These are the styles of lamp posts most of us around here are used to

Sonny-with-an-LPC.jpg

6 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Those are solid style lamp posts, and I find typically anything stuck to them doesn't last very along, unless it really looks like it belongs there (and doesn't get knocked off easily :P)

Sonny-with-an-LPC.jpg

I remember them from my visits to the USA. But there's no wiring under there is there? I don't remember if there was. More boring than dangerous I would have thought. Also noisy to lift.

6 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I remember them from my visits to the USA. But there's no wiring under there is there? I don't remember if there was. More boring than dangerous I would have thought. Also noisy to lift.

The wiring goes up the center of the concrete base and into the center of the pole. There shouldn't be any wiring exposed by lifting the skirt. All the skirt does is cover the bolts that secure the pole to the concrete base.

On the other hand, in the photo you might be able to make out an access panel on the left side of the pole, just above the raised skirt. There is wiring inside there.

5 hours ago, niraD said:

The wiring goes up the center of the concrete base and into the center of the pole. There shouldn't be any wiring exposed by lifting the skirt. All the skirt does is cover the bolts that secure the pole to the concrete base.

<...>

As terrible as this idea sounds, in these parts it's not uncommon to see light poles built with a set of nuts under the pole's base plate, holding it up off the concrete base by an inch or so. You can peek under the base plate and see the wires passing from the concrete up into the pole.

I've seen caches hidden under the base plate, into the wires. I always inspect carefully before attempting to claim THOSE smileys. Maybe use a dead stick. 

Also, sometimes they don't have skirts! Weather, and any old chewin' critter could have at it. Yikes!

I'd post a sample picture, but it's too cold to go out recreationally right now. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 12/4/2019 at 4:21 PM, L0ne.R said:

I once went to one in a live electric box next to a tennis court. The hint was "yank".  I walked away.

But I did eventually go back, once I read some find logs and was a more sure about what I was looking for. The cache box was inside the electric electric box, painted grey to match and attached with very strong magnets. 

It is bad enough to hide something close to an electrical box, especially if it is easy to open. That is dangerous.

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, Ragnemalm said:

It is bad enough to hide something close to an electrical box, especially if it is easy to open. That is dangerous.

If I found an electricity box with a faulty lock, I would report it to the authorities. Otherwise, the boxes here are well locked up, and not easy to open without the key.

• Helpful 1
On 12/5/2019 at 12:22 PM, thebruce0 said:

Sonny-with-an-LPC.jpg

Yup, that's it.  I understand that the skirt is merely "cosmetic" and meant solely to hide the mounting bolts, but I still think messing with the light poles is (generally) not a good idea, and it "irks" me, which was the topic of the thread anyway.  C'est la vie, they're not going anywhere and there are some places where they're the only caches available.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, ParrotRobAndCeCe said:

Yup, that's it.  I understand that the skirt is merely "cosmetic" and meant solely to hide the mounting bolts, but I still think messing with the light poles is (generally) not a good idea, and it "irks" me, which was the topic of the thread anyway.  C'est la vie, they're not going anywhere and there are some places where they're the only caches available.

I've never understood why the nuts and bolts need to be hidden. Imagine the cost saving to the utilities in they ceased doing this. Doesn't happen here in OZ.

On 12/5/2019 at 8:31 AM, Goldenwattle said:

Those caches that I have and have rated 'Other' is because although they might be small (or larger) on the outside, they only have micro internal space, such as a bison tube inserted. They are NOT small because TBs and trinkets won't fit. I didn't want to disappoint anyone turning up with a TB to leave because I had marked it small, but they find only the internal dimensions of a bison tube. So I mark that sort of cache 'Other', as the internal space is too little for a 'small', but I also don't want to mark this 'micro' and have someone looking for a micro, and I being told off by someone who DNFed it, that it was ridiculous looking for a micro in that place. They were absolutely right I had to concede, so I changed it from micro to 'other'.

Hmm, not sure about one of mine then.

It's a tube a metre long and 20cm wide. You twist the ends off, because of two non-return valves inside one end of the cache then becomes a pump. When you pump it causes a kite to rise through the tube, attached by string to a pencil and small log container about 7cm long.

You could put trackables etc in tube, but they would have to be removed before using the tube as a pump.

So is that large or other? I put it as large because to me the whole tube is the cache, unless I am misunderstanding and only the physical space that the log occupies is the cache. But in that case most of my caches are wrongly labelled because I usually put the log itself in a sturdy container, and that within another, larger waterproof container to minimise water ingress because it's very wet here. But I'm sure it would get annoying and be unhelpful for cachers if I labelled every one other because they are a cache within a cache.

59 minutes ago, daddybeth said:

It's a tube a metre long and 20cm wide. You twist the ends off, because of two non-return valves inside one end of the cache then becomes a pump. When you pump it causes a kite to rise through the tube, attached by string to a pencil and small log container about 7cm long.

You could put trackables etc in tube, but they would have to be removed before using the tube as a pump.

So is that large or other? I put it as large because to me the whole tube is the cache, unless I am misunderstanding and only the physical space that the log occupies is the cache. But in that case most of my caches are wrongly labelled because I usually put the log itself in a sturdy container, and that within another, larger waterproof container to minimise water ingress because it's very wet here. But I'm sure it would get annoying and be unhelpful for cachers if I labelled every one other because they are a cache within a cache.

Other. 

5 hours ago, daddybeth said:

I'd call that an Other. By what you describe here, the large pipe isn't a cache container, it is a gadget to access the cache container.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, K13 said:

I'd call that an Other. By what you describe here, the large pipe isn't a cache container, it is a gadget to access the cache container.

The problem, of course, is that the definitions exist for two purposes, frequently at odds with each other.

We purists and forum-mice want to say that a container-within-a-container is a bison tube or something similar because that's the VOLUME, and so there! We're following the guidelines exactly! At the same time there are people out there looking for something of the defined size, who may, I could imagine, move that huge box out of the way, looking for the teeny tube that the website says to seek!

<sigh> Simple game with easy guidelines to be accepted by millions of players, and the reality grows more complex and creative over time, which is otherwise a good thing.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

The problem, of course, is that the definitions exist for two purposes, frequently at odds with each other.

We purists and forum-mice want to say that a container-within-a-container is a bison tube or something similar because that's the VOLUME, and so there! We're following the guidelines exactly! At the same time there are people out there looking for something of the defined size, who may, I could imagine, move that huge box out of the way, looking for the teeny tube that the website says to seek!

<sigh> Simple game with easy guidelines to be accepted by millions of players, and the reality grows more complex and creative over time, which is otherwise a good thing.

That's why "Other" works so well. I would examine the large box because the cache is listed as "Other". 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 5/23/2013 at 2:42 PM, avroair said:

What would you consider a Deadly Sin in geocaching? What irks you most? I'm compiling a list for an event...

I'm finding that not closing ziploc bags that protect logs irks a bit.  Also taking all the swag from one of our premium hides, no trading at all, even took the pencil to sign the log. lol And one time a seasoned cacher with over 40,000 finds placed our magnetic P&G screw nut on a sign way on the other side of the parking lot across from our hiding spot.  I find it to be more of a mystery than an irk on why he did that though. lol

1 hour ago, HunterandSamuel said:

I'm finding that not closing ziploc bags that protect logs irks a bit.  Also taking all the swag from one of our premium hides, no trading at all, even took the pencil to sign the log. lol And one time a seasoned cacher with over 40,000 finds placed our magnetic P&G screw nut on a sign way on the other side of the parking lot across from our hiding spot.  I find it to be more of a mystery than an irk on why he did that though. lol

Yep , not closing zip bags is one except that the bags I find are usually ripped or holey.

I put swag in some of my caches but I'm not too bothered if people don't trade but I am irked when they leave junk or, for example, a nice shell when there are shells lying all about on the ground near the cache.

I've often irked myself when I get back to my car/bike/kayak and find I still have the cache pen/pencil in my hand and then have traipse back to the cache to replace it. "Old Timer's" strikes again.

2 hours ago, K13 said:

It's an unusual one, but it's more that the log is contained within the tube BUT you can only access the log in a certain way. The rest of the tube functions much the same as any large cache would.

Much like a slightly more elaborate an ammo can with a false bottom you have to remove to access the log.

I guess i always saw the size as a description for the cacher to find the container itself rather than a description of how the container works - that would seem to be what the description is for. "Other" doesn't tell you much unless you then also explain it in the description. But as a new cacher and CO always learning.

Just now, daddybeth said:

I should say as well the reason I chose "large" was because the guideline photos show a person holding an entire container, not holding a log book. Pretty clear a log book will not fill a massive bucket.

The Help Center has always (since there were size descriptions), described cache sizes by volume, aka what will fit inside the cache container (only a log or log plus content).  https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=97&pgid=815

But I agree. The submission form does a bad job of explaining size. All it does is show average examples, no range, no explanation, no link to the help centre. We've complained about it for over a decade . It's an easy webpage fix to make, but Groundspeak for some reason does nothing.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, daddybeth said:

It's an unusual one, but it's more that the log is contained within the tube BUT you can only access the log in a certain way. The rest of the tube functions much the same as any large cache would.

Much like a slightly more elaborate an ammo can with a false bottom you have to remove to access the log.

I guess i always saw the size as a description for the cacher to find the container itself rather than a description of how the container works - that would seem to be what the description is for. "Other" doesn't tell you much unless you then also explain it in the description. But as a new cacher and CO always learning.

When a cacher reads the cache size, that tells them two things: first is the size of what they are looking to find, and second is the size of swag or trackable they can expect to be able to place in that cache. These two points are equal in my opinion.  The bowling ball trackable I saw recently will easily fit in a Large container, but has no chance in your 'large' cache.

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, K13 said:

When a cacher reads the cache size, that tells them two things: first is the size of what they are looking to find, and second is the size of swag or trackable they can expect to be able to place in that cache. These two points are equal in my opinion.  The bowling ball trackable I saw recently will easily fit in a Large container, but has no chance in your 'large' cache.

That will only work if everything's the same shape. Here's a 1 litre Sistema and a 1 litre milk bottle.

DSC_0116.jpg.5810b5d61cc849942cec8988c38283a8.jpg

Neither will fit inside the other, even though the milk itself will.

The container volume can only ever be a rough guide to what size trackables and swag will fit in it. I'd say the size is a more important guide to finding the cache, because if you can't find it you can't leave your swag or trackables.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

That will only work if everything's the same shape. Here's a 1 litre Sistema and a 1 litre milk bottle.

DSC_0116.jpg.5810b5d61cc849942cec8988c38283a8.jpg

Neither will fit inside the other, even though the milk itself will.

The container volume can only ever be a rough guide to what size trackables and swag will fit in it. I'd say the size is a more important guide to finding the cache, because if you can't find it you can't leave your swag or trackables.

Ughhhh. I hate narrow neck bottles. I never saw them in the first 5 years of geocaching. Then people decided that COs should  not spend money on a container and instead upcycle their throwaways. Around here it's narrow neck water bottles and aspirin jars. Sometimes I can't fit a nickel through the narrow neck. And the logbook is a tattered mess from people trying to reaf it through the hole.   I've seen people cram things into them and then the swag can't come out.  

Edited by L0ne.R
Typo
15 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

Ughhhh. I hate narrow neck bottles. I never saw them in the first 5 years of geocaching. Then people decided that COs should be not spend money on a container and instead upcycle their throwaways. Around here it's narrow neck water bottles and aspirin jars. Sometimes I can't fit a nickel through the narrow neck. And the logbook is a tattered mess from people trying to reaf it through the hole.   I've seen people cram things into them and then the swag can't come out.  

I'm not suggesting anyone use a milk bottle for a cache, it's just the only 1 litre cylindrical container I had within easy reach to illustrate my point. Maybe something more like this (which was the first photo of the sort I could find, but anything of that general shape):

DSC_0216.jpg.d0cb2990925d8ff45095e70b98015463.jpg

Edit: Okay, here's a better one for you...

20150220_102704.jpg.a131cd04270e9e536819c4029997a4ec.jpg

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, L0ne.R said:

Ughhhh. I hate narrow neck bottles. I never saw them in the first 5 years of geocaching.

Then people decided that COs should be not spend money on a container and instead upcycle their throwaways.

We had one who (at an event) said that the volume fits for their vitamin bottles, and a Travel Bug tag fits through the narrow opening.

I had one with a small, working fishing reel half the size of that tag, and it wouldn't fit. 

"I didn't think of that...".  

- He switched them all to bulk pill bottles, the wider neck allowing some trackables to fit, and is still calling them small...

7 hours ago, K13 said:

Bowling ball trackable? Wow. Don't think I'd be picking that up on my pushbike? :)

With that surely you then get onto container strength... ammo boxes fine but a 14lb ball would destroy the few large caches around here as most are plastic. If it would even fit in an ammo box.

16 hours ago, daddybeth said:

Bowling ball trackable? Wow. Don't think I'd be picking that up on my pushbike? :)

With that surely you then get onto container strength... ammo boxes fine but a 14lb ball would destroy the few large caches around here as most are plastic. If it would even fit in an ammo box.

I placed one "in" a micro cache - of course the cache could fit in one of the finger holes - but the cache was at the top of the stump, the ball went in a hole at the bottom...  It's not like weather could hurt a bowling ball much.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
47 minutes ago, The Jester said:

I placed one "in" a micro cache - of course the cache could fit in one of the finger holes - but the cache was at the top of the stump, the ball went in a hole at the bottom...  It's not like weather could hurt a bowling ball much.

The oversized trackables that I've seen have basically traveled from event to event, as far as I could tell. There just aren't many caches big enough for a full-sized trophy, or a bowling ball, or a sledgehammer, or whatever.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, daddybeth said:

Most often, I will state some sort of relative measure for the cache, especially if it's a small, because of the varying shapes that can hold a liter (as well-depicted by barefootjeff).  Pelicans can be small and accept some flat TBs, but some might expect to be able to leave a different shaped one.  For that reason, I'll use a golf ball as my depth description. "It's shallow; a golf ball would be too tall."  Or for others more shaped like the bottle, "The opening is about 3.5 inches in diameter".

It never occurred to me that I might have to state, for a large:  "A bowling ball would not be too tall."  :D  I'd definitely have to go discover a bowling ball TB if it rested in one of my caches!

Speaking of Large size caches ... I haven't seen anybody bring up the fact that 5 gallons is LESS than 20 liters, but I'm guessing most would be thinking along the lines of a 5-gallon bucket being a Large.  Yes?  This came to mind when I was contemplating using a 5-gallon bucket (hidden within a host) as the cache.  Really, would you be irked to find such a cache listed as a Regular?  Would you be expecting something smaller?

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, niraD said:

The oversized trackables that I've seen have basically traveled from event to event, as far as I could tell. There just aren't many caches big enough for a full-sized trophy, or a bowling ball, or a sledgehammer, or whatever.

One of my favorite caches is a locker in a bowling alley big enough for a bowling ball GCMJ1V When I found it there was a bowling pin trackable in it as well. 

4 hours ago, VAVAPAM said:

Speaking of Large size caches ... I haven't seen anybody bring up the fact that 5 gallons is LESS than 20 liters, but I'm guessing most would be thinking along the lines of a 5-gallon bucket being a Large.  Yes?  This came to mind when I was contemplating using a 5-gallon bucket (hidden within a host) as the cache.  Really, would you be irked to find such a cache listed as a Regular?  Would you be expecting something smaller?

I feel the issue is this liter sizing, instead of simply sticking with dimensions.    :)

The last "large" I found was a tackle box about the size of a 50cal.   I've always marked them regular.

But then "regular" here now is anything from a 24oz Nalgene bottle up , and I feel this liter thing is the culprit. 

Micro –  Tiny containers that most likely will only hold a log sheet, e.g. a film canister.

Small – Just big enough to fit a sandwich. Holds only a small logbook and small items, e.g. a small plastic container. Note: Please don’t put a sandwich in your geocache.

Regular – Think shoe box. If you could fit a pair of shoes inside, you’re golden, e.g. an ammo box.

Large –  Think Bigfoot’s shoe box. If he could fit his hiking boots inside, it should probably be labeled as a Large, e.g. a 5 gallon bucket.

33 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I feel the issue is this liter sizing, instead of simply sticking with dimensions.    :)

Is your problem with the metric units (100ml, 1L, 20L) or with the use of standard volume measurements rather than... What? Length measurements? Vague descriptions of what may or may not fit (sandwiches, apples, fingers, shoes, fists, boots, etc.)?

Personally, I think the volume ranges make a lot more sense than vague descriptions of what may or may not fit. I don't care whether the volume ranges are in metric units or imperial units, but they should be something standard, not vague.

• Upvote 4
8 minutes ago, niraD said:

Personally, I think the volume ranges make a lot more sense than vague descriptions of what may or may not fit.

+1. I've been known to fill (my own) weird little containers with water to assess their volume before allocating a size....

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
8 hours ago, niraD said:

Is your problem with the metric units (100ml, 1L, 20L) or with the use of standard volume measurements rather than... What? Length measurements? Vague descriptions of what may or may not fit (sandwiches, apples, fingers, shoes, fists, boots, etc.)?

Personally, I think the volume ranges make a lot more sense than vague descriptions of what may or may not fit. I don't care whether the volume ranges are in metric units or imperial units, but they should be something standard, not vague.

First off, it's not a "problem" for us ...     We've used containers that are proven, with openings that things actually fit in.   :)

We see issues more n more with newer folks mostly, but some older cachers still argue that by the site a pill bottle is a small by volume (around 130ml).

I guess you could stuff a sandwich in that pill bottle somehow though...

• Funny 1
28 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

We see issues more n more with newer folks mostly, but some older cachers still argue that by the site a pill bottle is a small by volume (around 130ml).

130ml sounds like a small to me. If it has a narrow neck, then that's a separate issue from what size it is.

29 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I guess you could stuff a sandwich in that pill bottle somehow though...

The description in Geocaching 101 (What does a geocache look like?) says:

"Small - 100ml or larger, but less than 1L. Example: A sandwich-sized plastic container or similar."

A sandwich-sized container is an example, not the definition. The definition is the same as in the Help Center article (which uses "about the size of an apple" as the example).

On 12/22/2019 at 12:55 AM, daddybeth said:

Sounds a fun cache. Definitely sounds like an 'Other'.

• Upvote 1

Logged a DNF on a cache Saturday, so did another cacher on Sunday (cache was clearly missing). Saw a Found it log on Monday stating cache is gone but CO allowed to log a find. 2 hours later another found it log. Another was posted on Wednesday. Now GSAK was showing 3 green squares for the last 4 logs so I posted a NM. 5 minutes later the CO mailed me saying I could log a found it instead of a DNF.... No thanks.

He/she should have posted a TD instead of allowing finds on a missing cache.

On the plus side: He/she said a new cache would be placed today.

• Upvote 1